Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754824 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #850 on: June 16, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
I see according to Pat Frost, Roy Hodgson says Alan Irvine is a "great coach".

Still, everyone on here probably knows better than the England manager so I suppose AI must just rubbish like they all say.

No need to speculate, you'll find out in a few months and I can almost guarantee that what they all say is indeed right. Roy is too much of a gentleman to say anything else, as you well know.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #851 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
This has nothing to do with Irvine's coaching ability it is to do with his lack of management experience in the Premier League and JP's penny pinching decision to give the job to someone who the vast majority of supporters feel is not going to give us the fresh impetus the club needs particularly as he is happy to work with two of the previous two head coaches failed back room staff.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #852 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »
To be fair Roy also said the same to Wolves about Solbakken ;D.

Seriously I do see your point though I think Hodgson has perhaps advised both Burton and Peace on the candidates because it was reported last week he had also recommended Sherwood aswell.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #853 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
Sorry but what Premier League quality player is seriously going to come to a club that now has "hopeless relegation fodder" written all over it by this appointment.

I've been a big JP supporter but not anymore :(
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #854 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »
No need to speculate, you'll find out in a few months and I can almost guarantee that what they all say is indeed right. Roy is too much of a gentleman to say anything else, as you well know.

You're right, and as I have said before, until he proves himself the useless idiot people say I will give him the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove otherwise.

One other thing. I have been watching Albion a long, long time and I have yet to see anyone, player, coach, manager, referee...anyone at all improve their performance as a response to being abused.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #855 on: June 16, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »
Alan Irvine on Anichebe a long while ago :D

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/2401383/irvine-victor-can-be-next-drog

Everton assistant Alan Irvine believes Victor Anichebe could one day be as good as Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.

Let see if Irvine can coach it into him :-X
Forgive me but wasn't Irvine a coach at Everton when Big Vic was a kid, so he failed to get Vic to achieve & Everton flogged him.  Not a great vindication of AI's success is it?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #856 on: June 16, 2014, 10:01:28 PM »
You're right, and as I have said before, until he proves himself the useless idiot people say I will give him the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove otherwise.

One other thing. I have been watching Albion a long, long time and I have yet to see anyone, player, coach, manager, referee...anyone at all improve their performance as a response to being abused.

You are clearly a very nice person.
But I haven't read a post yet that called him a stupid idiot, so it doesn't help your credibility any to make things up

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #857 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
.........or even useless idiot, sorry Freudian slip

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #858 on: June 16, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »
You are clearly a very nice person.
But I haven't read a post yet that called him a stupid idiot, so it doesn't help your credibility any to make things up

As you'll note, I didn't quote anyone and was simply paraphrasing the general sentiment bring expressed by a large number of posters.

Sorry if I offended your pedantic sensibilities though I imagine you'll live.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #859 on: June 16, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
...or even summarising the general sentiment, sorry grammatical slip

bagstaff

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #860 on: June 16, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
Forgive me but wasn't Irvine a coach at Everton when Big Vic was a kid, so he failed to get Vic to achieve & Everton flogged him.  Not a great vindication of AI's success is it?

Don't know - he turned him from a kid to a £6m player allegedly!
"I think quotes are very dangerous things" - Kate Bush
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Ruudi Beglin bagstaff IV

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #861 on: June 16, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »

He was also responsible for spilling tea on the chairmans new rug, he forgot to order toilet rolls for the staff toilets & one day he drove through a puddle & splashed mud on Moyes car, I'm sure he'll be accused of some further atrocities before the season starts.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #862 on: June 16, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
...or even summarising the general sentiment, sorry grammatical slip
I'm sure that the general sentiment is quite capable of summarising itself, without any outside help thank you

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #863 on: June 16, 2014, 10:15:15 PM »
As you'll note, I didn't quote anyone and was simply paraphrasing the general sentiment bring expressed by a large number of posters.

Just because you have posted a few more times than me and have supported the Albion since they were formed, there's no need to be sarcastic

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #864 on: June 16, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
I'm sure that the general sentiment is quite capable of summarising itself, without any outside help thank you

Do you refer to me as "outside"? If so, outside of what, and why?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:19:13 PM by Chipperfan »

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #865 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »

And he was a bench warmer for the large majority of his everton career.

Yeah he really is the next drogba isnt he :-) if thats his opinions on players then god help us. Anichebe is just a more expensive fortune!

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #866 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
I do think Irvine, is unfortunate to walk into this,,, this, I'll say it pooh! but as previous posters have put, nothing to do with him, all to do with the policy of the club and it's governance, we are falling out with each other, good!! proves we give a monkeys, I'm sure nobody wants or expects it to turn into fisticuffs, we're all grown ups, but stuff has to happen, this situation has to be reversed.
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #867 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »
Just because you have posted a few more times than me and have supported the Albion since they were formed, there's no need to be sarcastic

Oh dear, you are offended, and yet you thought to accuse me of making things up. I imagine you felt that an entirely benign comment?

Not since the club was formed as it happens, just a long, long time.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #868 on: June 16, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »
http://www.freeradio.co.uk/news/sport/burton-on-irvine-appointment/?region=blackcountry&region=birmingham

For anyone who wants to listen to Terry Burton on Irvine.
This was pretty underwhelming to my mind, not helped by Tom Ross's pathetically fawning attitude, who was more interested sucking up to Burton than properly representing the view of the majority of the fans.

It was quite funny how Burton referred to Irvine as the "manager" and then nearly did so again before managing to correct it to "head coach".

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #870 on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »

that's odd because ive seen loads of players at the albion get abuse and then give great performances
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:25:40 PM by Quakes Fan »

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #871 on: June 16, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
that's odd because ive seen loads of players at the albion get abuse and then give great performances

As I say, I haven't. My experience is that people being abused go into their shells and withdraw. But if you think differently that's up to you.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:25:56 PM by Quakes Fan »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #872 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »
As I say, I haven't. My experience is that people being abused go into their shells and withdraw. But if you think differently that's up to you.

its not what I think its what ive seen ,some players have thrived on abuse and used it to spur them on. one of the worlds most iconic footballers had years of abuse and became a brilliant player ie david beckham

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #873 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »

Listen I don't think you quite get it. It wouldn't matter if we sang we loved the man and the club from 2.30 to 5.00pm on match day from the stands. We will go down next season with the quality of the players and coaching staff we will have by the beginning of the season. And as for Irvine I don't feel sorry for him in any way. Do you really think he cares about West Bromwich Albion. Or do you think the £250000 - £500000 salary he will collect even if he is sacked after losing our first 6 games had something to do with him saying yes to being our manager. Yes he will carry the can for the clubs penny pinching and lack of ambition but that's up to him. I would swap places with him for all the pressure he is about to be under for that money as long as it wasn't to manage my club, knowing in my heart I haven't a chance of avoiding relegation with what I will have to work with. Albion is my club its just another cone to him who are willing to pay him a lot of money whatever happens. I will still be supporting them when he is sunning himself in January at his holiday villa.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #874 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
Do you refer to me as "outside"? If so, outside of what, and why?
Outside of what most of us seem to be thinking. Which doesn't make you necessarily wrong, though I think you'll come round given a little time