Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754973 times)

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
I remember he had a run in with WBA several years ago
He went on record as saying that we had offered him the managers job and he turned us down when we appointed RDM
We of course said he had never been offered the job
Got quite vocal in the press for a while if me memory serves me correctly
Shocking appointment

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
I can't quite believe what i'm reading in this thread. You're all condemning a bloke who has averaged a 40%+ win ratio  in 170 games as a manager and 1.3+ points per game. That's equivalent to 51 points a season in the Premiership.

Give him a chance folks!

Yes in the championship thats a basic record no disrespect to the championship but even if we were there I'd expect us to get someone with a better record then this guy. You cant blame us for being mad when you look at the bigger picture.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
He will bring with him Rob Kelly to work as Joint-Assistant Head Coach alongside Keith Downing, whilst Dean Kiely will remain as Goalkeeping Coach.

That says it all really...cannot understand this obsession to maintain continuity with the backroom staff...when it clearly isn't improving anything on the pitch  :-\

I am not a Downing fan (even if he is a good old boy) and to me he had as much to do with our poor performance last season as anyone and yet he seems untouchable. Right now i would take any other Premier League manager instead apart from Lambert (obviously!)
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »
On official website
Terry Burton says
In the end it came down to two outstanding candidates for the role.
But, following a detailed recruitment process (where the other supposed candidate refused the job because he wanted more money for his assistants) we decided that Alan and the team around him (are the cheapest options and are prepared to work with the two coaches who have jobs for life at the club) are the best suited to tackle the challenges we face in the Barclays Premier League.
What rubbish not only this pathetic appointment they then have the arrogance to insult our intelligence.

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »
Shocked . Irvine .. really ?....pooh...I thought of John Irvine first of all..the ITV News reporter. In fact i would rather have the latter...

I had figured Andy Irvine, the former scottish rugby player.
Or Eddie Irvine, the ex-F1 driver.

My reaction would have been the same to either of these!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »
I'm starting to wonder was Tim Sherwood ever interviewed?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »
He will bring with him Rob Kelly to work as Joint-Assistant Head Coach alongside Keith Downing, whilst Dean Kiely will remain as Goalkeeping Coach.

That says it all really...cannot understand this obsession to maintain continuity with the backroom staff...when it clearly isn't improving anything on the pitch  :-\

Totally and utterly underwhelmed by this appointment...I will freeze the humble pie...but I doubt that I will be eating it any time soon  ::)
I am not a Downing fan (even if he is a good old boy) and to me he had as much to do with our poor performance last season as anyone and yet he seems untouchable. Right now i would take any other Premier League manager instead apart from Lambert (obviously!)

RuncornBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
Anyone that actually knows me knows that I am usually a glass half full kind of guy. 

Usually i would argue how JP has been good for us, and has done a lot of good for the club etc., etc.

Terry Burton says
In the end it came down to two outstanding candidates for the role.  Outstanding???  Really??? 

I cannot believe this appointment!  If ever there was a word underunderwhelmed then I would use it now!!  I would really like to see every name that was interviewed for the position!  It looks like to save a few sheckles, he has appointed Alan Irvine who has done nothing!  (And lets be honest, it's not his fault that we are all angry, he applied for a job and got it.  He must think that JP is a right numpty himself!  Lets be honest, I would if I had applied for it and got it with that experience) 

After last season we need to be forward looking for the new season.  I can't believe it....I really can't!  I would usually say, lets see how he does before we make up our minds!  But I am furious!  5 weeks, we have had to wait or this appointment!  An absolute disgrace!  An absolute disgrace!

What I can guarantee you is that this season I am not going to a single game, and I am not going to spend one single penny at the club shops! 

I hope that people who are at the games get behind AI......I really do! 

Heyyyyyyy, Tim Sherwood, Oooh, Aahh, I wanna knowwww..........Why you're such a.............

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »
I can't quite believe what i'm reading in this thread. You're all condemning a bloke who has averaged a 40%+ win ratio  in 170 games as a manager and 1.3+ points per game. That's equivalent to 51 points a season in the Premiership.

Give him a chance folks!

I'll give him a chance and will back him from the start of his reign. Even when it goes tits up he won't be the first in the line for my abuse, that will be Peace for his poor appointment.

His stats are not bad when you look at them quickly but then you look at the fact we are a Premier League club with a few years of successive seasons in the top league behind us and need an experienced hand at this or equivalent level to take us on and his record comes from the Championship and League One with one of those seasons a relegation one. We were a club in turmoil last season with players ruling the roost and this appointment to me is unlikely to end that turmoil, its making the division between clubs and customers (thats all we are nowadays) even wider than it was before at a time when its screaming for that gap to be closed, not to mention the empty words we've had from Peace lately about learning from mistakes of last season.

I would love to be sitting here in 12 months time and eating my words on this appointment but I feel i'm more likely to be sitting here with anticipation at which grounds in the Championship I can look forward to visiting.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2014, 08:09:51 PM »
Seriously??? I'd take Lambert in a heartbeat over the Division 3 dross we have just appointed.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:17 PM »
Seriously??? I'd take Lambert in a heartbeat over the Division 3 dross we have just appointed.
Yes serious and I think most Vile fans would agree but at the moment Pearson, Pullis, Poyet, Daish look world beaters!

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
Well we seem to have a lot of "coaches" but who will be driving the feckin BUS  !?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
I predict the nice Mr Irvine is sacked in December
We start looking for the best english speaking candidate and appoint another nice but hapless geezer just as the transfer window closes,
Hapless geezer will either scrape through in 17th position and Keith Downing and Terry Burton will take the credit or more likely we will be relegated, either way Mr hapless is sacked and we start the process again.

Lessons learnt my backside!!!

I am not travelling from Norfolk to watch this farce anymore.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

slugga1

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
I've just been having a look in the Everton forums and it's a bit mixed as they can understand how underwhelmed we all feel.  But to take a positive there has been quite a few comments about how he likes to play football on the ground and that our players would enjoy his brand..  Bit of a Roy esque footballing brain who knows the game.

Ok it's still a horrid appointment as we all needed a lift but  thought I would try and bring a little light in the darkness.. 
Tony Pulis is ...The Equaliser

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »
Why should we back him? as an earlier poster stated he was pretty vocal when at the last minute  we chose RDM history would suggest we got that right as would Sheffield and Preston supporters, he will undoubtedly be the focal point for angst aimed at JP if he had any sense he would have a long think tonight and do an about turn.  Just a thought but the first major decision Burton has been involved in Mmmmmmmm doesnt bode well >:( >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »
This appointment is a ******* disgrace. I am done.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:18:56 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2014, 08:17:42 PM »
Somebody slap me and tell me this is a bad dream.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
After the communication problems with Mel, JP was true to his word in appointing an English speaker. Mind you, coming from Glasgow, it will be a close run thing!!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »
Might as well keep the Next Manager thread alive - it will be "in play" again by the end of October.

An absolute joke of an appointment.

I was going to have a large bet on us going down next season but the odds are already far too low to be attractive.  The bookies have already worked it out.

The backlash to this appointment is going to really backfire on Peace.

Well - his wish will come true.  Mid-table Championship side here we come.

Absolutely no ambition.

TaxiMark

• Newcomer

« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
Hi Albion fans, Wednesday fan here.

I'll start by saying that we are just as stunned and shocked as you are by appointing Alan Irvine as manager, where or how did he manage to pull that one off?

Irvine was the most negative manager I've seen in recent years at Hillsborough and believe me, we've had some terrible managers in the last 20 odd years, one of the things that he irritatingly kept doing was praising the visiting team before the game, he would say stuff like you have to watch out for their strikers (praise), pace (praise), hight (praise) etc.... he'd go on to say how we'd deal with their threat but not saying anything about how his own side would attack or be positive (maybe he didn't even know how too?)

He was absolutely clueless, and if he received criticism he turn it back to his critics by asking where their coaching badges were etc.

I hope it's a short lived affair for you guys because you are decent.   

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
Probably as flattering as Bristol City Fans would be to Mcinnes, OR Liverpool fans were to Hodgson.

Good points.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

yiannos

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
I am not travelling from Cyprus to watch Albion anymore. JESUS...

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2014, 08:24:39 PM »
On official website
Terry Burton says
In the end it came down to two outstanding candidates for the role.
But, following a detailed recruitment process (where the other supposed candidate refused the job because he wanted more money for his assistants) we decided that Alan and the team around him (are the cheapest options and are prepared to work with the two coaches who have jobs for life at the club) are the best suited to tackle the challenges we face in the Barclays Premier League.
What rubbish not only this pathetic appointment they then have the arrogance to insult our intelligence.
I really thought (misguidedly) that Burton would add to the process - TBH i would rather have him as coach now.

wba606

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
i dont think we will have problems in attracting new players as there are managers such as monk for swansea

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »
Good points.
Why i'd rather have had McCinnes than this no hoper!