Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 549691 times)

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #1350 on: June 01, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
“@SportsTonightTV: We believe WBA had made an enquiry into David Moyes availability,
It's believed the ex Manchester United manager will take a good break.”

Just saw this on Twitter retweeted by Tancredi Palmeri, an Italian journalist who seems to have his finger on the pulse with most things. Hoping their suggesting we have made an enquiry with Moyes is true but that their belief he would rather take a break isn't.

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1351 on: June 01, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »
There are reports that although think very highly of him Derek McInnes has not made the short list due to' relative lack of managerial experience'.

This also surely means that Keith Downing will not get the job. To me he was always a non runner anyway. Although he may get an interview the board are sure to look for someone with no 'season from hell' baggage. Downing's future will depend on who gets the job but he is probably on the way out.

I am however worried who we might get. Our structure precludes someone like Dick Advocaat who would find the presence of Garlick and Burton stifling and Malky Mackay apparently turned down the Norwich job as he wasn't prepared to work with a  'Director of Football'.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1352 on: June 01, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »
I think that Moyes is a non starter. He will wait until a 'bigger' club comes along. I think we should go for another disciplinarian with something to prove. The sooner we appoint however the better.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1353 on: June 01, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
“@SportsTonightTV: We believe WBA had made an enquiry into David Moyes availability,
It's believed the ex Manchester United manager will take a good break.”

Just saw this on Twitter retweeted by Tancredi Palmeri, an Italian journalist who seems to have his finger on the pulse with most things. Hoping their suggesting we have made an enquiry with Moyes is true but that their belief he would rather take a break isn't.

He's written his own article in the times today where he basically states that he's received a couple of very tempting offers from this country that he is considering, along with also considering working abroad or taking time out and watching football from all over the world. It's safe to see that if we want him, then he's probably considering it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1354 on: June 01, 2014, 07:00:57 PM »
There are reports that although think very highly of him Derek McInnes has not made the short list due to' relative lack of managerial experience'.

This also surely means that Keith Downing will not get the job. To me he was always a non runner anyway. Although he may get an interview the board are sure to look for someone with no 'season from hell' baggage. Downing's future will depend on who gets the job but he is probably on the way out.

I am however worried who we might get. Our structure precludes someone like Dick Advocaat who would find the presence of Garlick and Burton stifling and Malky Mackay apparently turned down the Norwich job as he wasn't prepared to work with a  'Director of Football'.
Malky worked with Ian Moody as Director of Football at Watford and Cardiff so I doubt that was the reason he didn't get the Norwich job.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1355 on: June 01, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
We need our new Head Coach to have something to prove and be 100% committed, rather than half-wishing he was sat in an armchair watching football on the TV. Remember that Moyes got a very big pay-off from Man U, so he doesn't need the money.

If it does end up being Moyes, and I still think we're not the best club for him to try to rebuild his reputation again, I hope he still has the required fire in his belly.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1356 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »

I think Malky turned down the Norwich job due to their relegation. Very friendly with the owners and has been seen out with them a couple of times according to a Norwich fan I know.

Baggie Jono

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1357 on: June 01, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »
I hope there's nothing in it, but I see Brian McDermott has parted company with Leeds. Whoever takes the job will have a tough task ahead, although I did read that Peace was now back on track with the Baggies. Whether this means more money for players or not, I don't know. A very tough & intriguing season ahead.
COYB

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1358 on: June 01, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
 Dick Advocaat has for most of his career would have worked within the Continental Model and therefore would not be unduly worried about working with a technical director. It is bigger issue for British coaches like Moyes and Hodgson etc...
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1359 on: June 01, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »
I hope there's nothing in it, but I see Brian McDermott has parted company with Leeds. Whoever takes the job will have a tough task ahead, although I did read that Peace was now back on track with the Baggies. Whether this means more money for players or not, I don't know. A very tough & intriguing season ahead.
COYB
I noticed he is now second favourite with some bookmakers.
Worrying.
No disrespect, but I don't think he is good enough.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1360 on: June 01, 2014, 08:28:41 PM »
I don't understand why so many people pay attention to the bookies. All that is happening is people have seen he is free put one and one together and got five. The bookies have then lowered their odds so they aren't handing to much cash out should it be true. In this case I have no doubt its false. McDermott was ruled out last week and I still don't believe he would even be on the seven man short list we have heard so much about this past week. My heart says Moyes but my head says it will be Jol with it being the more realistic option.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1361 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
A few of JP's comments have suggested somebody with Premiership experience. This is about as much as we have to go on. The bookies odds mean nothing at the moment.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1362 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
I don't understand why so many people pay attention to the bookies. All that is happening is people have seen he is free put one and one together and got five. The bookies have then lowered their odds so they aren't handing to much cash out should it be true. In this case I have no doubt its false. McDermott was ruled out last week and I still don't believe he would even be on the seven man short list we have heard so much about this past week. My heart says Moyes but my head says it will be Jol with it being the more realistic option.

You're wasting your breath about the bookies odds! Someone could put thousands on a complete outsider with no chance of getting the job and their odds would tumble. They mean nothing.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1363 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:39 PM »
I have a hunch that Adkins might figure on the shortlist, or at the very least get mentioned in reports as someone who was taken very seriously at the long listing stage.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1364 on: June 01, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »
I have a hunch that Adkins might figure on the shortlist, or at the very least get mentioned in reports as someone who was taken very seriously at the long listing stage.

I had him at 50/1 the day after Mel was released.

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1365 on: June 01, 2014, 10:35:35 PM »

'Dick Advocaat has for most of his career would have worked within the Continental Model and therefore would not be unduly worried about working with a technical director. It is bigger issue for British coaches like Moyes and Hodgson etc...'

Fair point and Advocaat, even though he is 66, is the kind of coach that likes the feel of the grass under his feet.
All that experience, national teams Belgium, Russia and two stints as the Dutch manager in addition to clubs Borussia Monchengladbach, PSV, Zenit and of course Rangers. Knows how to produce a team playing attractive and winning football and how to handle and coach players - takes no messing about at all.
Is he being considered and would he be interested ?

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1366 on: June 01, 2014, 10:46:44 PM »
'Dick Advocaat has for most of his career would have worked within the Continental Model and therefore would not be unduly worried about working with a technical director. It is bigger issue for British coaches like Moyes and Hodgson etc...'

Fair point and Advocaat, even though he is 66, is the kind of coach that likes the feel of the grass under his feet.
All that experience, national teams Belgium, Russia and two stints as the Dutch manager in addition to clubs Borussia Monchengladbach, PSV, Zenit and of course Rangers. Knows how to produce a team playing attractive and winning football and how to handle and coach players - takes no messing about at all.
Is he being considered and would he be interested ?
I hope so, and, I hope so
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1367 on: June 01, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
A few of JP's comments have suggested somebody with Premiership experience. This is about as much as we have to go on. The bookies odds mean nothing at the moment.

So who fits into that category?

1. What classifies as Premier League experience? 10 games? 20? 30+? There is a major difference between someone such as Moyes and Mackay who got half a season.

2. What time period would JP consider? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years+?

If you said Premier League experience in last 2 years and someone who has managed over 30 games AND is available the list comes down dramatically.

If the remit is general experience over x number of years the list is huge! It does scare me slightly :-X

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1368 on: June 02, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »
I hope so, and, I hope so
Advocaat never seems to stay in a job long and doesn't really come across well in the media.
If it was to be a Dutch coach who is free at the moment, I would much prefer Frank de Boer or Ronald Koeman. They both played alot of internationals in strong Holland sides, and so would have the respect of the players,but both are excellent coaches in their own right, with strong visions of the game. They play attractive football, but both strike me as able to handle players. Another Dutch coach who is free is Bert van Marwijk, who coached Holland to the last World Cup Final. Martin Jol looked to have lost the plot at Fulham, but his overall track record both here and in Holland is good and he has the advantage of knowing our club,
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1369 on: June 02, 2014, 01:45:52 AM »
Advocaat never seems to stay in a job long and doesn't really come across well in the media.
If it was to be a Dutch coach who is free at the moment, I would much prefer Frank de Boer or Ronald Koeman. They both played alot of internationals in strong Holland sides, and so would have the respect of the players,but both are excellent coaches in their own right, with strong visions of the game. They play attractive football, but both strike me as able to handle players. Another Dutch coach who is free is Bert van Marwijk, who coached Holland to the last World Cup Final. Martin Jol looked to have lost the plot at Fulham, but his overall track record both here and in Holland is good and he has the advantage of knowing our club,
Sorry, I missed the part where I said him to the exclusion of anyone else. All I said was I hope he's ON THE LIST and that WE ARE TALKING TO HIM !!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1370 on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:39 AM »
I am hopefull we see some white smoke this week
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1371 on: June 02, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
I am hopefull we see some white smoke this week

Will it have blue pin stripes?
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1372 on: June 02, 2014, 09:53:12 AM »
Will it have blue pin stripes?

most likely if its the Red Arrows flying over

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1373 on: June 02, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »
Quietest day i have known on this thread. Calm before the storm.

I see Roy Keane has turned down Celtic paving the way for Steve Clarke?

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1374 on: June 02, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Quietest day i have known on this thread. Calm before the storm.

I see Roy Keane has turned down Celtic paving the way for Steve Clarke?

Well if anyone can lead them to second place, Steve Clarke can.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.