Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 546028 times)

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #1325 on: May 31, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
The easy option isn't always the best option though is it?

In this particular case i would say yes but i would wouldn't i, i am normally correct in my judgment of head coaches
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1326 on: May 31, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
This is a surreal thread  - Moyes or McDermott?   

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1327 on: May 31, 2014, 02:24:57 PM »
In fairness it sums up nearly every Managerial search we've had for the last few years, you just never know what the club are going to do next. Like Hodgson, Moyes could be pulled out of the hat and it's not impossible for that to happen, but then at the same time most of our fans could easily envisage a underwhelming signing and i don't think it would surprise us if it turns out to be. (Anger us on the other hand >:( )

Fingers crossed and hope that some good, strong links to a good strong candidate start to leak out of the club soon, or even better appoint him

Good summary.

There are some good managers available at present for Peace to go for.  Let's hope he doesn't choose one of the cheap rubbish ones who tend to be always available!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1328 on: May 31, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
Good summary.

There are some good managers available at present for Peace to go for.  Let's hope he doesn't choose one of the cheap rubbish ones who tend to be always available!

Which ones do you have in mind?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1329 on: May 31, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »
Which ones do you have in mind?

Moyes, Raineri, Jol, Koeman, de Boer, Petrescu, and those are just the ones out of work without mentioning those who we could get if we were willing to pay compensation.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1330 on: May 31, 2014, 07:52:31 PM »
Moyes, Raineri, Jol, Koeman, de Boer, Petrescu, and those are just the ones out of work without mentioning those who we could get if we were willing to pay compensation.

Some damn good names there. Makes it seem almost a sin to end up with a bad next head coach. I think Peace has got his head screwed on and knows he can't f*ck up this time
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1331 on: May 31, 2014, 08:22:56 PM »
I am hoping for Jol, well respected but not too ego-driven so he could rub along with Peace ok.

Also, he spoke fondly of his old club when manager of Spurs when we beat them.  That might mean SFA from some, but I think he's as genuine as anyone in the game today.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1332 on: May 31, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »

I would say all of those, appart from Jol who I think is burnt out now, would see West Brom as a step down in their careers. For that reason I struggle to see them sign for us, never mind even being truly interested in the job.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1333 on: May 31, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »
I am hoping for Jol, well respected but not too ego-driven so he could rub along with Peace ok.

Also, he spoke fondly of his old club when manager of Spurs when we beat them.  That might mean SFA from some, but I think he's as genuine as anyone in the game today.

Please now with all the stress of this let it be Jol

petethebaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1334 on: May 31, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
Trying to make this head coach relevant. Mmmmmm just watched the Laurie Cunninggham show again on you tube. I recommend it to all. Wearing his stripes (broad) what a player what a club. It reminded me how special we are. We are the Albion! So to make this relevant,  whoever the next head coach is, he better realize what a great job it is. Who T F is David Moyes?
Swansea Semi Final Playoffs 1993...we know who we are!

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1335 on: May 31, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »
Bit bored by it all now.

Honestly think it will be Downing. That way, if it isn't, at least I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1336 on: May 31, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »
Trying to make this head coach relevant. Mmmmmm just watched the Laurie Cunninggham show again on you tube. I recommend it to all. Wearing his stripes (broad) what a player what a club. It reminded me how special we are. We are the Albion! So to make this relevant,  whoever the next head coach is, he better realize what a great job it is. Who T F is David Moyes?

Top man it's true, whatever happens people come and go from this club including 'fans' there will always be the lads there following us everywhere and that's what the club is all about (not had a beer) boing boing!!!

petethebaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1337 on: May 31, 2014, 09:33:40 PM »
Top man it's true, whatever happens people come and go from this club including 'fans' there will always be the lads there following us everywhere and that's what the club is all about (not had a beer) boing boing!!!
Had a few beers myself, normal Saturday for me, proud to be a baggie, lets hope the next head couch understands what a great job it is. I'm still a football romantic despite everything. Sky money and fixture changes because of TV, can't change that. we need a head coach big enough to understand the job that he is taking on, player power you're having a laff. Oh yes broad stripes please!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1338 on: May 31, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »

Haha! A lot of people have lately said we're not in the same league as the likes of (sic) Everton/ Newcastle blah blah blah, but if you can stand to go back to the time we left the original first division we were easily their match. We are a great club with rich history and generally have been in the ascendance for the last twelve years or so towards our former glory.

YES we can be that good again. So you're invited for the ride Mr. Moyes, fancy a go?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1339 on: May 31, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Or if not Moyes then YES, Jol.

As long as we have broad stripes  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

petethebaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1340 on: May 31, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »
Haha! A lot of people have lately said we're not in the same league as the likes of (sic) Everton/ Newcastle blah blah blah, but if you can stand to go back to the time we left the original first division we were easily their match. We are a great club with rich history and generally have been in the ascendance for the last twelve years or so towards our former glory.

YES we can be that good again. So you're invited for the ride Mr. Moyes, fancy a go?

Well said mate, we can still mix it with the best, we have been the underdog in terms of resources for decades still ain't stopped us ay it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:57:36 PM by OldburyWBA »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1341 on: June 01, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »
With the recent George Thorne comments and the lack of discipline at the club It makes you wonder if this may influence the decision on the head coach, we need somebody who will take no bull from these players. We all want someone who can coach a "west brom way" of football but perhaps we need someone who will take a hard line on the players.

Dick Advocaat anybody?!

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1342 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »
With the recent George Thorne comments and the lack of discipline at the club It makes you wonder if this may influence the decision on the head coach, we need somebody who will take no bull from these players. We all want someone who can coach a "west brom way" of football but perhaps we need someone who will take a hard line on the players.

Dick Advocaat anybody?!

Thats why the likes of Downing need to go.A totally fresh approach

RICH ONE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1343 on: June 01, 2014, 09:46:43 AM »
The longer the  search goes on and with his lack of job offers so far really I have  the feeling it is going to be Moyes

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1344 on: June 01, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
The longer the  search goes on and with his lack of job offers so far really I have  the feeling it is going to be Moyes

He wouldn't take any rubbish would he. Lets just hope it's tied up soon.

In regards to Downing, when you see video clips of the squad he always looks like "one if the lads" and has banter with the players. With the ill discipline running through the club it's time to see a management team who seperate themselves a bit. It's probably become all too comfortable. Don't see why Kiely should go though

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1345 on: June 01, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

Exactly my thinking too. Moyes has also told the BBC he thinks he was unlucky to not be given more time at Man U. His been quite of late and reading between the lines his made the statement then his drawing a line under the past 12 months as his now his ready to move on!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1346 on: June 01, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
Although it may not be popular,should the board appoint a trio of Steve bull,peter Odemwingie and Harold shipman,I shall still continue to support my team,why people are being villa fickleesque about it I don't get,yes we would all love guardiola but there is no guarantee even with him?
I'm not a happy clapper but think at the mo JRP is the man for us,we all make errors (he's admitted it) but let's not right anyone off yet,Ian wright was non league,gmac was from Ipswich ,micheal Owen was just a YTS and Alan shearer had a trial for us in goal??
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1347 on: June 01, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
For those that can't see the need to appoint the right person quickly...

We have already proven that taking a long time and doing the due diligence does not necessarily result in a good decision.

Let's say that we appoint someone in 2 weeks time, as suggested.
1. The world cup will have started - which generally means a slow transfer market, especially for top players - the ones we should be looking at.
2. The poor guy will have no insight into the remnants of our squad.  He'll be able to take advice, but won't know for himself, the roles that need to be filled - I'm not talking about positions more captains, free kick takers, etc.  He won't have deep knowledge of the attributes of those remaining -  pace, power, heading, etc.
3. Only at this point will we have a good idea on formation of the team and the recruitment priorities - even the obvious, full backs... or maybe wing backs?
4. There will be 2 weeks to sort out everything before pre-season starts.  From who does what in the coaching dept to where to live.
5. There will be 4 weeks until the 1st preseason friendly, and by then we need to have a full team - every position.
6. There will be 8 weeks until the 1st game to bring together this group of strangers, and coach and drill them into a coherent team and win PL games.

This is not ideal.  It makes success less likely.  It puts us at a disadvantage - in terms of player recruitment (right now) and implementing systems and tactics once the season starts (with the players that are eventually bought in).

It could all be done so much better and more effectively.

The team that has finished 17th has been relegated the following season in 3 out of the last 4 years.  Therefore, we have to make a really good job of this massive change we are undergoing.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1348 on: June 01, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »

We have already proven that taking a long time and doing the due diligence does not necessarily result in a good decision.

1. The world cup will have started - which generally means a slow transfer market, especially for top players - the ones we should be looking at.
2. The poor guy will have no insight into the remnants of our squad.  He'll be able to take advice, but won't know for himself, the roles that need to be filled - I'm not talking about positions more captains, free kick takers, etc.  He won't have deep knowledge of the attributes of those remaining -  pace, power, heading, etc.
3. Only at this point will we have a good idea on formation of the team and the recruitment priorities - even the obvious, full backs... or maybe wing backs?
4. There will be 2 weeks to sort out everything before pre-season starts.  From who does what in the coaching dept to where to live.
5. There will be 4 weeks until the 1st preseason friendly, and by then we need to have a full team - every position.
6. There will be 8 weeks until the 1st game to bring together this group of strangers, and coach and drill them into a coherent team and win PL games.

This is not ideal.  It makes success less likely.  It puts us at a disadvantage - in terms of player recruitment (right now) and implementing systems and tactics once the season starts (with the players that are eventually bought in).

The team that has finished 17th has been relegated the following season in 3 out of the last 4 years.  Therefore, we have to make a really good job of this massive change we are undergoing.

We'll get it done within the fortnight. Any longer and it'll be suicide for all the reasons you suggest. No need to be downhearted though.
Of the excellent points you make we're not the only club in this boat.

And I'd still rather be in the Baggies position of knowing exactly where we're weak and strengthening those areas than, say, Soton who are are about to have their first team filleted of all the prime cuts, or even Leicester who are a decent Championship side but who have the mother of all slogs ahead of them regardless of who they bring in.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:05:31 PM by Rheneas »

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1349 on: June 01, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »

Its for all the above points that I hope our first 2/3 games of the season are against top teams  becourse we will need time to gel, so let's get these games out of the way
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:39:19 PM by LiamTheBaggie »