Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 549691 times)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #1300 on: May 30, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
As far as i'm concerned this was always going to happen.

Forgot the talk about shortlists or club statements saying that things are going to be different it's all just talk.

It''s a bit early to make that judgement. When has Peace ever stated that things need to change and been so positive in his statements. Normally we get the typical "corporate" response, but no there is an extra 20 million+ to play for by staying up, it sounds as though he realises that we need to invest and go the same route manager-wise as our most successful time under Roy.

It's very early days to be judging the clubs vision for the next season.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1301 on: May 30, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
I cant disagree with most of what you said apart from Downing. What don't they already know about him? Norwich and Swansea appointed from within without endless shortlists and interviews. Its not as if we are a public sector company Mr Peace doesn't have to follow any guidelines apart from general employment guidelines. He can interview 1 candidate or 50. I just think other clubs are more decisive and are better off for it.

Point taken. In which case i can only assume that they see things in him, and saw enough when he was in charge, to want to have him as a sort of yardstick to judge other candidates by. Yeah I know it's hardly a persuasive point of mine, but like you I'm wracking my brains trying to rationalise why he might be on the shortlist.

Still no cause for real concern yet though. Even if there is some 'Downing or bust' agenda at the club (or should that be 'Downing and bust'?) I still believe in the power of social media to persuade/ force the Board into doing the right thing. I.E. if we basically say we don't want him, we don't have to have him.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1302 on: May 30, 2014, 08:17:47 PM »
I've berated Peace mainly because I was upset about the treatment of PM and also the seeming near-deification of KD and DK, who haven't been rubbish by any means but who muddied the water in my opinion when it came to harmony in the camp (who knows for certain how much their involvement was).

But JP is bloody smart. He KNOWS our best in recent times was under Roy's direction (and most of us believe the main thing that kept that momentum going the following year was Lukaku) and he will be looking for something of the same. A great coach/ manager however you want to put the job description will galvanise any squad and get the best out of whatever he has to play with - even to the point of dealing with the egos and getting them in line. Maybe PM should have kept a few hairdryers handy....

Anyway, no doubt about it, Moyes would be ideal for us. The scenario is the same as it was with Roy, and if you look at the type of club he was with prior to Man Utd, regardless of league position, I think we are not dissimilar to Everton or Preston; good feeling of tradition, history, loyalty, passion (maybe it's because we are three of the original 12 in the football league!!)

Would Moyes want us? You can see what would be attractive..... all of the above plus the chance to cock a snoot at those who were too impatient. I'd be astounded if JP wasn't pushing this possibility as far as he could - not purely in terms of what Moyes could do for us but also in terms of how much JP's own credibility would be restored.

I hope he comes, one can only hope. Plus he lives near me; I could get a lift down with him.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1303 on: May 30, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
I've berated Peace mainly because I was upset about the treatment of PM and also the seeming near-deification of KD and DK, who haven't been rubbish by any means but who muddied the water in my opinion when it came to harmony in the camp (who knows for certain how much their involvement was).

But JP is bloody smart. He KNOWS our best in recent times was under Roy's direction (and most of us believe the main thing that kept that momentum going the following year was Lukaku) and he will be looking for something of the same. A great coach/ manager however you want to put the job description will galvanise any squad and get the best out of whatever he has to play with - even to the point of dealing with the egos and getting them in line. Maybe PM should have kept a few hairdryers handy....

Anyway, no doubt about it, Moyes would be ideal for us. The scenario is the same as it was with Roy, and if you look at the type of club he was with prior to Man Utd, regardless of league position, I think we are not dissimilar to Everton or Preston; good feeling of tradition, history, loyalty, passion (maybe it's because we are three of the original 12 in the football league!!)

Would Moyes want us? You can see what would be attractive..... all of the above plus the chance to cock a snoot at those who were too impatient. I'd be astounded if JP wasn't pushing this possibility as far as he could - not purely in terms of what Moyes could do for us but also in terms of how much JP's own credibility would be restored.

I hope he comes, one can only hope. Plus he lives near me; I could get a lift down with him.

Pick him up now and drive him down!

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1304 on: May 30, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
This the list of serving managers including interim and permanent appointments during Jeremy Peaces reign as Chairman

Gary Megson (Was already in post before Peace)
Bryan Robson
Nigel Pearson
Craig Shakespeare
Tony Mowbray
Roberto Di Matteo
Michael Appleton
Roy Hodgson
Steve Clarke
Keith Downing
Pepe Mel

Makes you think ! Still hoping for some big name?

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1305 on: May 30, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
This the list of serving managers including interim and permanent appointments during Jeremy Peaces reign as Chairman

Gary Megson (Was already in post before Peace)
Bryan Robson
Nigel Pearson
Craig Shakespeare
Tony Mowbray
Roberto Di Matteo
Michael Appleton
Roy Hodgson
Steve Clarke
Keith Downing
Pepe Mel

Makes you think ! Still hoping for some big name?

Each of those are big names to me. Granted only one of them actually did it for us but you can't deny they are big names!

Yes, I'm still hoping for a big name.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1306 on: May 30, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »
Was di Matteo really a big name? I know he played for Chelsea but he was only really managing MK Dons, also I had never heard of Pepe Mel
Baggie Terra

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1307 on: May 30, 2014, 09:08:30 PM »
Was di Matteo really a big name? I know he played for Chelsea but he was only really managing MK Dons, also I had never heard of Pepe Mel

To be fair, Roy has become a bigger name since us, and di Matteo had greater success AFTER us too as we all well know; shouldn't have been sacked from Chelski.

Bryan's fame was more to do with his playing than his managing and PM's fame was only known in Spain....

I admit I was to some extent playing the devil's advocate with that.

Or is that Advocaat..............

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1308 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »
Reasons why I'm hopeful over Moyes:

-Roy Keane is in the frame for Celtic according to reports, so I don't think that's a starter for Moyes anymore (if it ever was)

-I've said before that Moyes seems to have a pretty nice looking home in Lancs. I'd've thought that might- MIGHT- be a potential barrier to a move to Soton/ Spurs, and that Albion might be better located for this reason.

-Spurs aside I don't think there's a better English job available than the Albion. That includes Soton who seem set to have the best parts of their 1st 11 cherry picked by richer clubs.

- I've got no problem with Downing being interviewed. For a lot of jobs in all kinds of fields there are internal as well as external candidates. All part of the due diligence. To interview him is logical (although to give him the gig would be highly illogical...)

- Moyes isn't automatically top of the list for other jobs because of the Man U problems and his name isn't being chucked around much for that reason too.

- Both he and his agent have been relatively quiet regarding new jobs since his sacking so there's been little in terms of fuel for the press stories.

So IF he wants the job and the Club can accommodate his staff in the existing framework, it's a goer.

The only remaining spanner in the works that occurs to me- and you can call me daft if you like, but it's a potential issue- is if he's already signed up to go to Brazil as a TV pundit. Then again, if he's not putting in a shift behind his desk at the Hawthorns, at least he can say he's been helping to scout players.

So having said all that, if the Albion have not at least been on the blower to Moyes or his rep, then I am a Dutchman...and we'll probably end up with one running the team  ;)
If it's true that he is a pundit at the WC then he can't be a candidate surely. Our timeframe would rule him out.

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1309 on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
See Brian McDermott has left Leeds
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1310 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
Oh dear! McDermott leaves Leeds by mutual consent  Say no more

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1311 on: May 31, 2014, 12:15:53 AM »
Looks like he's lost his job because the owner wants a coach not a manager. So that looks like he's out the reckoning . Phew !

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1312 on: May 31, 2014, 08:31:10 AM »
I just dont see Moyes coming to us. Everton are a much bigger club, as are United, so after the humiliation of the united debacle I just dont see him compounding the humiliation by joining us. We are mid table at best with a tightly controlled budget so we are perfect for either up and coming managers or run of the mill managers, not guys like Moyes. I reckon he will go abroad.

My hope is that we get someone who brings some life and excitement to our play so that we can be proud of our club once again. My worry is that Mel was that guy, but who knows.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1313 on: May 31, 2014, 09:18:42 AM »
The problem for Moyes is United was his one shot at the big time. He has not got a reputation outside of England and nobody is going to hand him the reigns of a club in the Champions League, aside from possibly Celtic. In the short term his best chance of a route back in was the Spurs job and as far as I can tell he was not considered for it. Moyes will have to take a mid table premier league club at some point and at the moment that is either us or Southampton. Neither are particularly attractive from his perspective.

My guess he will wait until a club closer to Everton's stature needs a manager I would suggest that list includes Newcastle, West Ham and Villa. I wonder what odds you could get on all three of those clubs having their current managers this time next year? If Moyes had been out of the game for a year and needed to make a comeback we might have a chance but at the moment I don't think he will consider us.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1314 on: May 31, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »
Brian McDermott has shortened to 5/1 with Sky Bet following his departure from Leeds. However, you can get 18/1 with Betfair. Paul Clement remains a favourite with most bookies despite being discounted by CL and others. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/west-brom/next-permanent-manager
I would strongly advise anyone not to have a bet because the club are keeping their cards closely to their chests. Mel's name didn't slip out until very close to his appointment.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1315 on: May 31, 2014, 10:02:30 AM »
I think McDermott was one of the names ruled out during the week.

Suppose that could change now he is out of work.

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1316 on: May 31, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
I'm surprised Carlos Queiroz has not been linked with the job by the media - should be available after the World Cup and a vastly experienced Coach.

At the moment though, like everyone else, I really don't have a clue who we'll end up with.

I would say that some of the negative comments about Keith Downing in this thread seem very harsh.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1317 on: May 31, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Brian McDermott has shortened to 5/1 with Sky Bet following his departure from Leeds. However, you can get 18/1 with Betfair. Paul Clement remains a favourite with most bookies despite being discounted by CL and others. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/west-brom/next-permanent-manager
I would strongly advise anyone not to have a bet because the club are keeping their cards closely to their chests. Mel's name didn't slip out until very close to his appointment.

Well technically two weeks before.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1318 on: May 31, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »
Brian McDermott another faliure.no way no chance
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1319 on: May 31, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
Brian McDermott another faliure.no way no chance
If we're only interested in someone who's not in a job, then it's highly likely that all of the candidates will have failed somewhere or other.

I read this with interest this morning:

"Former Feyenoord coach Ronald Koeman is interested in the vacant Southampton job according to his agent. Koeman left Feyenoord at the end of the season after guiding the Rotterdam club to 2nd in the Eredivisie and a place in the Champions League next season.

The former Ajax, PSV, and Valencia coach is now looking for a job abroad, and according to his agent Guido Albers, Koeman wants to manage Southampton. The Premier League club are looking for a new coach after Mauricio Pochettino joined Tottenham this week.

Albers told the Daily Echo, “From Ronald’s point of view, it would be amazing. I think it would be a very good success for the club, but also for the Premier League to get a coach like him. He is very technical, and very offensive. His team makes goals. They scored more than any other team in Holland this season. We haven’t been approached by anybody, but he would like to work in the Premier League.

Source: Football Oranje

It's a shame that we don't seem to have the wherewithal, structure or whatever to attract someone like Koeman. We haven't been linked with him at all.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:22:52 AM by WorcsWBA »

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1320 on: May 31, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »
Wouldn't it just have been easier to give Pepe Mel his contract period.I just have the feeling its going to be another cautious coach
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1321 on: May 31, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
Wouldn't it just have been easier to give Pepe Mel his contract period.I just have the feeling its going to be another cautious coach

Wouldn't it though!!!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1322 on: May 31, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
By being so formal and unhurried, it seems JP is saying to whoever gets the job that the club and its structure is more important than you.

I hope he's not using business management scoring systems to assess candidates- they often end up with the least threatening option, which can also be the least creative/original/individual.

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1323 on: May 31, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »

The easy option isn't always the best option though is it?

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1324 on: May 31, 2014, 12:25:32 PM »
By being so formal and unhurried, it seems JP is saying to whoever gets the job that the club and its structure is more important than you.

I hope he's not using business management scoring systems to assess candidates- they often end up with the least threatening option, which can also be the least creative/original/individual.

Isn't that what peace wants? Non - threatening? ?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son