Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 546036 times)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #1275 on: May 30, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
Dick Advocaat sounds like the guy we should have got in January sort things out a bit iron out some of the ego's in the dressing room and move on in a season or two. I would hope for an appointment with a bit more mileage in it now.

In reality though, given that if we gat halfway decent younger coach he will probably be poached and move on in about two years max, we might be better off appointing a decent older bloke who may hang around a bit longer as he approaches the end of his career ( I know that didn't work with Roy, but they can't all be a England a Manager!).
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1276 on: May 30, 2014, 09:09:30 AM »
yes he is and yes he has.

if you mean he has signed for Sunderland can you provide a link as I can find nothing on internet about it. All I can find is what I posted earlier that he is in talks with a number of clubs.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1277 on: May 30, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
if you mean he has signed for Sunderland can you provide a link as I can find nothing on internet about it. All I can find is what I posted earlier that he is in talks with a number of clubs.

He hasn't. Jordi Gomez has signed for Sunderland.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1278 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »
Moysey down to 10/1. Better get me skates on the the bookies.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1279 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »
He hasn't. Jordi Gomez has signed for Sunderland.

Ah thanks for clearing that up....confusion over Gomis/Gomez!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1280 on: May 30, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Moysey down to 10/1. Better get me skates on the the bookies.
I have a feeling that Moyes may have been told the job is his if he wants it and the delay is linked to his decision.
Hope so anyway, otherwise it all seems a bit unprofessional. If there really are that many names in the hat then holidays by WBA personnel should not delay the process.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1281 on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
I have a feeling that Moyes may have been told the job is his if he wants it and the delay is linked to his decision.
Hope so anyway, otherwise it all seems a bit unprofessional. If there really are that many names in the hat then holidays by WBA personnel should not delay the process.

I've said it before but I think he will come. The interesting thing for me us that he hasn't been put forward for the other available jobs is that because:

1) he is just not rated as good enough
2) his representatives have made it clear he is unavailable taking time out or
3) he is more or less signed up and just waiting to meet Burton for face to face meeting, way forward etc.

Or am I totally blooming wrong and Downing is on his hols before he gets the job.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1282 on: May 30, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
I've said it before but I think he will come. The interesting thing for me us that he hasn't been put forward for the other available jobs is that because:

1) he is just not rated as good enough
2) his representatives have made it clear he is unavailable taking time out or
3) he is more or less signed up and just waiting to meet Burton for face to face meeting, way forward etc.

Or am I totally blooming wrong and Downing is on his hols before he gets the job.

or he's got the celtic gig and they are waiting to announce him and thier new kit / sponsor etc as a package.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1283 on: May 30, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
I really don't see Moyes going to Celtic. It won't help him rebuild his career. If he succeeds then it is only to he expected (even Lennon succeeded), and if he fails then its a massive nail in his career coffin. It certainly hasn't helped Lennon to use it as a stepping stone to a bigger job elsewhere.

If he comes to us then "success" will be getting us to 40 points, and if he fails and we get relegated then he can blame it on the Albion structure!

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1284 on: May 30, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
or he's got the celtic gig and they are waiting to announce him and thier new kit / sponsor etc as a package.

Same could be said about us....

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1285 on: May 30, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
Same could be said about us....

It could, I was just trying to point out that their are other options which could point elsewhere.

so why do you say I've said it before but I think he will come
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1286 on: May 30, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »
"Keith Downing, currently No2, has expressed an interest in the job and is expected to be among those spoken to next week when Albion begin the interviewing process. The club have yet to decide on others who might, at this stage, be in the frame."

Source: Birmingham Mail

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1287 on: May 30, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
"Keith Downing, currently No2, has expressed an interest in the job and is expected to be among those spoken to next week when Albion begin the interviewing process. The club have yet to decide on others who might, at this stage, be in the frame."

Source: Birmingham Mail

If he is appointed, it just confirms that there is no god.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1288 on: May 30, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »
If he is appointed, it just confirms that there is no god.
                                                                                                                                                                    or there is somebody with the initials JP playing at being God. If he appoints Downing it makes last seasons goings on a total farce, he may as well have appointed him last December!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:05:41 PM by kris_boing »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1289 on: May 30, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Please god no not Downing, this is all very draining.
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1290 on: May 30, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »
It cant be Downing...no please not him!!

It will be a farce if he gets it...

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1291 on: May 30, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
People are more likely to renew their season ticket before the deadline if they don't know that its downing than if he had been appointed. Now it makes sense why they are taking their time!

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1292 on: May 30, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
Appointing Downing will be our Terry Connor moment - it would be disastrous.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1293 on: May 30, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »
That's why its wrong to take so long to appoint the manager and no its not the local press.

"West Brom were believed to be leading the race to sign Wague, but with the club still waiting to appoint a new manager to replace the axed Pepe Mel at the Hawthorns, Norwich have stolen a march on them by making a firm offer."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/west-bromwich-albion/albion-slip-behind-canaries-in-wague-race-1727252.html

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1294 on: May 30, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »
People are more likely to renew their season ticket before the deadline if they don't know that its downing than if he had been appointed. Now it makes sense why they are taking their time!
They taking their time because waiting for Terry Burton to officially start his job June 1st.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1295 on: May 30, 2014, 04:46:23 PM »
Reasons why I'm hopeful over Moyes:

-Roy Keane is in the frame for Celtic according to reports, so I don't think that's a starter for Moyes anymore (if it ever was)

-I've said before that Moyes seems to have a pretty nice looking home in Lancs. I'd've thought that might- MIGHT- be a potential barrier to a move to Soton/ Spurs, and that Albion might be better located for this reason.

-Spurs aside I don't think there's a better English job available than the Albion. That includes Soton who seem set to have the best parts of their 1st 11 cherry picked by richer clubs.

- I've got no problem with Downing being interviewed. For a lot of jobs in all kinds of fields there are internal as well as external candidates. All part of the due diligence. To interview him is logical (although to give him the gig would be highly illogical...)

- Moyes isn't automatically top of the list for other jobs because of the Man U problems and his name isn't being chucked around much for that reason too.

- Both he and his agent have been relatively quiet regarding new jobs since his sacking so there's been little in terms of fuel for the press stories.

So IF he wants the job and the Club can accommodate his staff in the existing framework, it's a goer.

The only remaining spanner in the works that occurs to me- and you can call me daft if you like, but it's a potential issue- is if he's already signed up to go to Brazil as a TV pundit. Then again, if he's not putting in a shift behind his desk at the Hawthorns, at least he can say he's been helping to scout players.

So having said all that, if the Albion have not at least been on the blower to Moyes or his rep, then I am a Dutchman...and we'll probably end up with one running the team  ;)

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1296 on: May 30, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »
I really don't see Moyes going to Celtic. It won't help him rebuild his career. If he succeeds then it is only to he expected (even Lennon succeeded), and if he fails then its a massive nail in his career coffin. It certainly hasn't helped Lennon to use it as a stepping stone to a bigger job elsewhere.

If he comes to us then "success" will be getting us to 40 points, and if he fails and we get relegated then he can blame it on the Albion structure!

I partly agree that Moyes won't benefit from going to Celtic, but not because success is easy. Far from it. Of the 13 managers in the 30 years since Billy McNeil left the first time,  only 3 can be said to have had any degree of success. O'Neill (when Celtic had more money, but then so did Rangers), Strachan (but ultimately his trophies dried up) and Lennon (but didn't have Rangers to compete against in the last two seasons).  Arguably O'Neil and Lennon come out with more credibility because Celtic were a shambles when each took over.  But there in lies the problem for Moyes, Lennon is widely credited for leaving Celtic in good shape, all be it far from equipped to compete in Europe (though through no fault of his). Moyes would take over a team who are expected to achieve, his arrival would raise expectations as well and Celtic don't look likely to invest while they have no serious domestic competitor.  Moyes could only prove himself by some measure of European success, unlikely with their current squad. Lennon was poor in Europe but has left the yardstick of a victory over Barcelona in the Celtic fan's memories.  Seems to me like a poison chalice to someone who thinks he is destined to manage at a higher level.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1297 on: May 30, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Reasons why I'm hopeful over Moyes:

-Roy Keane is in the frame for Celtic according to reports, so I don't think that's a starter for Moyes anymore (if it ever was)

-I've said before that Moyes seems to have a pretty nice looking home in Lancs. I'd've thought that might- MIGHT- be a potential barrier to a move to Soton/ Spurs, and that Albion might be better located for this reason.

-Spurs aside I don't think there's a better English job available than the Albion. That includes Soton who seem set to have the best parts of their 1st 11 cherry picked by richer clubs.

- I've got no problem with Downing being interviewed. For a lot of jobs in all kinds of fields there are internal as well as external candidates. All part of the due diligence. To interview him is logical (although to give him the gig would be highly illogical...)

- Moyes isn't automatically top of the list for other jobs because of the Man U problems and his name isn't being chucked around much for that reason too.

- Both he and his agent have been relatively quiet regarding new jobs since his sacking so there's been little in terms of fuel for the press stories.

So IF he wants the job and the Club can accommodate his staff in the existing framework, it's a goer.

The only remaining spanner in the works that occurs to me- and you can call me daft if you like, but it's a potential issue- is if he's already signed up to go to Brazil as a TV pundit. Then again, if he's not putting in a shift behind his desk at the Hawthorns, at least he can say he's been helping to scout players.

So having said all that, if the Albion have not at least been on the blower to Moyes or his rep, then I am a Dutchman...and we'll probably end up with one running the team  ;)

I cant disagree with most of what you said apart from Downing. What don't they already know about him? Norwich and Swansea appointed from within without endless shortlists and interviews. Its not as if we are a public sector company Mr Peace doesn't have to follow any guidelines apart from general employment guidelines. He can interview 1 candidate or 50. I just think other clubs are more decisive and are better off for it.

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1298 on: May 30, 2014, 06:18:40 PM »
I don't see how JP could appoint Downing without losing face and credibility.  I can't remember the exact words but did he not saying that he was looking to appoint someone better or higher profile than Clarke.  If Downing fitted either of those categories he would have been appointed instead of Clarke.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1299 on: May 30, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »

As far as i'm concerned this was always going to happen.

Forgot the talk about shortlists or club statements saying that things are going to be different it's all just talk.