Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 549460 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #1125 on: May 28, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
Strangely, I can see why Moyes would be interested in us.  He wants to rebuild his reputation and after his big pay-off, money isn't everything to him.  He is aware of what it did for Roy Hodgson's career, so I can see all that.

What I don't see though is why JP would be so keen on Moyes, as it surely means a complete dismantling of the Head Coach structure to accommodate Moyes.   I realise that Roy accepted it, but he was well into his 60s and was perhaps more willing to accept it.

I think JP will have to commit to the club undertaking a major sea-change in strategy to land Moyes.  After his recent statement, maybe that is indeed in the pipeline?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1126 on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
surely the situation is simply,
recruitment / selling / contracts is in Garlicks remit so business as usual
Coaching is in Burtons remit, so shortlisted applicants can be interviewed when he's (TB) on-board. (Jun 1st??)

Personally I would like short list to be Koemans / Moyes / Dyche.

Koemans because of his pedigree
Moyes because he's in a Roy MkII scenario
Dyche (I accept v.v.unlikely) because he would scare the pooh out of our clique and he has done wonders in his previous jobs
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1127 on: May 28, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
Strangely, I can see why Moyes would be interested in us.  He wants to rebuild his reputation and after his big pay-off, money isn't everything to him.  He is aware of what it did for Roy Hodgson's career, so I can see all that.

What I don't see though is why JP would be so keen on Moyes, as it surely means a complete dismantling of the Head Coach structure to accommodate Moyes.   I realise that Roy accepted it, but he was well into his 60s and was perhaps more willing to accept it.

I think JP will have to commit to the club undertaking a major sea-change in strategy to land Moyes.  After his recent statement, maybe that is indeed in the pipeline?

Maybe after the way things went last season he's realised that Ashworth was something incredibly special and that without him our system struggles - certainly appears that way after last seasons showing. Maybe we need to sort out the core of the club by allowing a candidate to bring their coaches in. Would prevent and eradicate some issues we had last season with player power, clique forms, people crossing boundaries of their responsibility, head coach that has the power and ability to grab the team by the balls.

I'd suspect IF Moyes came in he'd have more of a say over transfers and day to day running of the club, but closer links for the 'footballing department' and the new role for Burton. That void between Clarke and Garlick was evident last summer and filled by a man that has been sacked for his part in transfers last summer. Could be the shake up we need. And I'm sure we can do better coach wise than KD and DK in all honesty.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:58:23 PM by PsalmXXIII »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1128 on: May 28, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »
Could it spell the end for Downing? It might be a good thing really - the players need a shock to their systems
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wbarich

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1129 on: May 28, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
I don't understand your post I have just been on Paddy Power and they are offering 10/1

Have you tried to bet on it then !? Bet it doesn't let you

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1130 on: May 28, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »

He bothers because seriously he is not making this up

I think you'll find he is.

Previous gems of his include "Kalou is 100% signing next week" last July (we never even had a bid accepted for him), and "Zarate is coming in for talks" (never happened).

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1131 on: May 28, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
I think you'll find he is.

Previous gems of his include "Kalou is 100% signing next week" last July (we never even had a bid accepted for him), and "Zarate is coming in for talks" (never happened).

Give him a break, things change and in this instance he's been backed up by another poster who's heard the same thing. Talks are talks, he's not said that we should all lump £100 on Moyes immediately, and there's still a long way off. But it's encouraging especially when more than one person has information.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1132 on: May 28, 2014, 01:15:53 PM »
Maybe after the way things went last season he's realised that Ashworth was something incredibly special and that without him our system struggles - certainly appears that way after last seasons showing. Maybe we need to sort out the core of the club by allowing a candidate to bring their coaches in. Would prevent and eradicate some issues we had last season with player power, clique forms, people crossing boundaries of their responsibility, head coach that has the power and ability to grab the team by the balls.

I'd suspect IF Moyes came in he'd have more of a say over transfers and day to day running of the club, but closer links for the 'footballing department' and the new role for Burton. That void between Clarke and Garlick was evident last summer and filled by a man that has been sacked for his part in transfers last summer. Could be the shake up we need. And I'm sure we can do better coach wise than KD and DK in all honesty.

Spot on.   JP came within a hair's breadth of losing about half his fortune from the share value in recent weeks - maybe it has been just the wake-up call he needed to convince him that the model which has worked so well for a while is no longer fit for purpose.

The start of a new era?  Let's hope so.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1133 on: May 28, 2014, 01:20:54 PM »
Give him a break, things change and in this instance he's been backed up by another poster who's heard the same thing. Talks are talks, he's not said that we should all lump £100 on Moyes immediately, and there's still a long way off. But it's encouraging especially when more than one person has information.

Things don't change in an instant to the point you could say someone we haven't even agreed a fee with, yet alone wages which were a bigger issue for Kalou is "100% signing".

The whole Kalou saga last summer was a great way of weeding out wannabe in the know's. It's funny, the one guy who's information turned out to be true was the guy with information about the behind the scenes stuff about Mel which turned to be absolutely spot on, yet people still blame Downing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:22:29 PM by Dan »

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1134 on: May 28, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »
Spot on.   JP came within a hair's breadth of losing about half his fortune from the share value in recent weeks - maybe it has been just the wake-up call he needed to convince him that the model which has worked so well for a while is no longer fit for purpose.

The start of a new era?  Let's hope so.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't JP state we aren't going to rip up the book and start again because of one bad season?

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1135 on: May 28, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
strange thing about Moyes and Sherwood is i was told about ten ths morning that it won't be either of them
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:32:06 PM by monkey nuts »

wbarich

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1136 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't JP state we aren't going to rip up the book and start again because of one bad season?

Yes he said one bad season doesn't make it a bad business model, in other words nothing will change!

Foreverbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1137 on: May 28, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
This farce yet again of dithering about an appointment is really taking the pee, this is the second time they knew they we're going to let a coach go, and they still don't have a replacement lined up, no wonder we can't attract decent players and everyone wants to leave.

Frustrating to say the least, other clubs make their mind up and go for it, but no not us, and we still end up making mistakes, it hurts us fans all the time.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1138 on: May 28, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
It's all pointing towards Downing. Which if the case, JP's statement last weak was as hollow as Jonathon Greening's head.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1139 on: May 28, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
It's all pointing towards Downing. Which if the case, JP's statement last weak was as hollow as Jonathon Greening's head.

All what is pointing toward Downing?
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1140 on: May 28, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »
Mcleish not been mentioned which is a bit of a surprise as he was before Pepe got appointed (no i don't think it would be good before anyone says) just saying as every other Tom Dick and Harry as surprised he got missed out   

Welsh_Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1141 on: May 28, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
The more I think about it the more I think Moyes would be interested.

For one he took the hardest job in football following Fergie at Utd. 

Secondly it's a no lose situation at Albion.  We have been on a downward spiral for 18 months or so.  So any success we have next season would be down to the coach/manager and if we fail; then we were already doomed before he came in and he couldn't do anything to save us.

Now compare that to the Saints vacancy - they're a club on the up who've just had their best season in years and it will be really difficult to improve on that next season.  But a poor season for them and the manager/coach will get the blame.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1142 on: May 28, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »

What is 'all' pointing towards Downing? By all means complain if it is him but this constant moaning at things that not only haven't happened but are also very unlikely to are ridiculous.

If anything then everything is pointing to anyone but Downing. KD is already at the club, would require next to no contract talks, has already had a trial run in the role, is known to everyone at the club and would be cheap. We have known Mel was leaving for 2/3 months and if it was going to be Downing then he would of been appointed 2 weeks ago.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1143 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
Yes he said one bad season doesn't make it a bad business model, in other words nothing will change!

In which case there's little chance of Moyes coming

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

What the hell is Garlick (Or Peace) doing???
« Reply #1144 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
Yet again weeks upon weeks putting together a list of canditates for JP to choose from? Its simple could be done in a day...... select a list of possibles, phone up their agent to see if a/interested, b/ happy to have our backroom staff and happy not to bring his own and c/ willing for the club to buy the players and not him. SIMPLE we are in a situation where we need a substantial amount of players to be brought (unless we wait til the end of August and panic buy) week upon weeks of bad press about the kit (simple release a picture and get it over with) astle, Pepe Mel ..... season ticket deadline Monday ...... still cant decide what to do !!! knowing how the club is run are they waiting for this pass before all the bad news is officially released..... Downing, Pin stripes and untried unknown players??
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: What the hell is Garlick (Or Peace) doing???
« Reply #1145 on: May 28, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
If Southampton announce their head coach/manager before we do then i will feel a little uneasy about next season.
I suspect Burton is the one dealing with the footballers at the moment even though hes not officially with us until next week
Should never have got rid of Mel without a replacement but i suspect the same happend when we got rid of Clarke
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:44:16 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1146 on: May 28, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
Interestingly, none of the top six in the betting for the Southampton vacancy have been linked with our head coach vacancy. See Oddschecker.com

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1147 on: May 28, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
Playing Devils Advocate again, why would the club want to release good news before the cheaper season ticket deadline? You'd leave that for the supporters who'd renew regardless, then release good news to boost the number of full price tickets. I understand the flip side too obviously, but for all the slagging off the club for not acting before an early bird deadline, why should they? You want an early bird ticket, buy one. You don't and you dither, pay more.

Let's face it, if you want to watch the team next season, buy before the deadline. If you don't want to watch them, then you've got nothing to worry about any deadline. If you want to wait and see what the club does then consign yourself to paying more, simple as.

It's astonishing how often our fans imply that the club WANTS to do badly - as if we desperately want to cover up the bad news after a deadline when it's more likely that they want to progress and right some wrongs and won't let some season ticket deadline define when that decision is to be made.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1148 on: May 28, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
 :D  Love it
Que cera
Don't panick Mr Mannering
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1149 on: May 28, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »
Interestingly, none of the top six in the betting for the Southampton vacancy have been linked with our head coach vacancy. See Oddschecker.com

Its the bookies job to take money out of your pocket, a lot of this next manager fenzy is led by them.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'