Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 550948 times)

swad35

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #900 on: May 25, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Well when you put it that way Standaman, perhaps the trio of McClaren, Jol and Moyes should be the faves

I think they probably are, I also think Jol is most likely to get the job however if Moyes wanted the job it would be his.

Can't see them giving Clement a go, I think they will go tried and tested. Personally I would take Clement if not Moyes. What player wouldn't be excited to play under this young successful coach.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #901 on: May 25, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
I think they probably are, I also think Jol is most likely to get the job however if Moyes wanted the job it would be his.

Can't see them giving Clement a go, I think they will go tried and tested. Personally I would take Clement if not Moyes. What player wouldn't be excited to play under this young successful coach.

I'm debating putting £20 on Jol at 40/1 or £10 each on Jol and McClaren. Trouble is, McClaren hasn't even been put on sky bets market and I can't be arsed to open a new account.

Hmnnn
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #902 on: May 25, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »
i think of  the names we fear the most, Hughton, Malky,Jones, Lennon etc.These guys need to be re building their stock in the Championship, apart from Lennon of course they have all failed and been sacked.I am pretty confident i dont think any of these will be our next head coach
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #903 on: May 25, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
I'm debating putting £20 on Jol at 40/1 or £10 each on Jol and McClaren. Trouble is, McClaren hasn't even been put on sky bets market and I can't be arsed to open a new account.

Hmnnn

40/1 def worth a punt.

slugga1

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #904 on: May 25, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
I really hope  we don't don't go for someone like clement.  You have to remember that although they (Clarke too) have worked under the best managers.. They have also been at the best clubs with money where that manager can buy the best players on the market,  it would be more criminal if they weren't successful in their roles.  We need  someone who can work with players in the low to middle end of the market give them belief in their abilities,  can spot a player,  work as a team and have some rapport with the fans too. 

I'd like McCalaren,  Moyes would be fantastic too but I doubt he would come. 
Tony Pulis is ...The Equaliser

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #905 on: May 25, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »
As others have probably already said, David Moyes would be the stand-out candidate by some distance. If he is interested in the job, I hope the club do everything in their power to persuade him to join us.

Apart from Moyes, I think Steve McClaren should be another contender if there is any any chance of him being persuaded to leave Derby following their play-off final defeat yesterday.

Paul Clement is an interesting potential candidate, and there will probably be a few rumours now he seems keen to leave Real Madrid and become a head coach in his own right. I backed the appointment of Steve Clarke at the time and think the head coach role suits an experienced assistant, even if they have not been a number one before.

However, I would be surprised if we appoint another assistant and promote them to a head coach due to the poor run of form during Clarke's last few months in charge and also because there are arguably better candidates available this time than there were when we appointed Clarke and when we appointed Pepe Mel back in January.

Whoever we appoint, I hope we move fairly quickly from now. The club have a bit more time to make the right appointment now we are in the close season, but it is vital to get the new head coach in as quickly as possible to give them an opportunity to assess the current squad and have their say on potential new signings.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #906 on: May 25, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
I would hope the club would have far more common sense to not write off Clement based on Clarke (who didn't even do a bad job - we did finish 8th). We weren't doing great this season but it ended up showing that off the field matters were hardly helping much either. Which even then its not like all coaches are the same. It's a bit like saying we shouldn't go for an experienced coach in case it ends like Jol did for Fulham, which would of course be ridiculous. The fact is that in the vast, vast majority of cases a manager does end up being sacked.

ronny boy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #907 on: May 25, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
I see another of Downing's Pals championing his cause to be our next head coach in the Birmingham mail...  >:(

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mel-eves-west-brom-should-7169669

With the available coaches around at the moment this has to be one of the biggest no no's in the history of no no's. I've said it before, he will get us relegated. He had his chance and didn't want it.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #908 on: May 25, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »
Downing would be a suicidal appointment. Even if you forget the relationship he has with the players (which would surely lead to them doing whatever they feel like), Downing's tactics in his short period of time as interim head coach were the worst I've seen here in my life. 3 at the back, Gera at wing-back with Amalfitano behind the striker is just one example  :o The Southampton performance, his final game in charge, was the most frustrating performance of the season. Waited til the 86th minute to bring Vydra on when we'd been crying out for a change all game  ???

ronny boy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #909 on: May 25, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
I would hope the club would have far more common sense to not write off Clement based on Clarke (who didn't even do a bad job - we did finish 8th). We weren't doing great this season but it ended up showing that off the field matters were hardly helping much either. Which even then its not like all coaches are the same. It's a bit like saying we shouldn't go for an experienced coach in case it ends like Jol did for Fulham, which would of course be ridiculous. The fact is that in the vast, vast majority of cases a manager does end up being sacked.

I, too, can't see the club ruling Clement out based on Clarke's tenure. Surely he has to be on the clubs 7 man shortlist as stated in the birmingham mail's article i previously posted.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #910 on: May 25, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
Everyone going on like Clarke was a failure, the FACT is he delivered us our best season for 30 years. It's an OPINION that it was all to do with Hodgson especially as the results were completely different I.e we struggled at home with Hodgson where as under Clarke our home form was very good, although towards the end it wasn't very good I think he gets a lot of unfair stick as if he was a failure.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #911 on: May 25, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »
I think Steve Clarke will find it difficult finding another premier league club, he has to prove himself first and that can only happen in the championship or below.Yes we finished 8Th thanks to Lukaku.A tactically inept coach who lost his way after November 2012, some would say when the momentum of Roy's reign came to an end.
I hope they get this head coach sorted soon so i can go on holiday with my new pinstripe top on knowing we are in safe hands
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #912 on: May 25, 2014, 02:27:46 PM »
I think Steve Clarke will find it difficult finding another premier league club, he has to prove himself first and that can only happen in the championship or below.Yes we finished 8Th thanks to Lukaku.A tactically inept coach who lost his way after November 2012, some would say when the momentum of Roy's reign came to an end.I hope they get this head coach sorted soon so i can go on holiday with my new pinstripe top on knowing we are in safe hands
Very true...if Steve Clarke was as good as the national press and some people that post on here make out I'm sure clubs would be falling over each other to give him a job. All as people seem to look at is the 8th league position.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:35:03 PM by ian66 »

Semaj Riatsila

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #913 on: May 25, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »

Hmnnn

Please refer to a great post on this forum about betting and how to cover and spread! One of the best posts ever and gave an insight of how to actually win in these situations. I ain't going to link it because if your serious then 1. You would of read it and 2. If your serious you can find it!

Just quoted you as your putting odds up so not pointed but just referring on your post :)

Semaj Riatsila

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #914 on: May 25, 2014, 02:51:40 PM »
I think Steve Clarke will find it difficult finding another premier league club, he has to prove himself first and that can only happen in the championship or below.Yes we finished 8Th thanks to Lukaku.A tactically inept coach who lost his way after November 2012, some would say when the momentum of Roy's reign came to an end.
I hope they get this head coach sorted soon so i can go on holiday with my new pinstripe top on knowing we are in safe hands

True! I think the Roy reign topic is over now. We were the perfect stepping stone for the end of his career, which will finish this year. He ain't our manager and has not been for some time. Our club needs to move on.  Whom that will be I really cannot say!

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #915 on: May 25, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
Please refer to a great post on this forum about betting and how to cover and spread! One of the best posts ever and gave an insight of how to actually win in these situations. I ain't going to link it because if your serious then 1. You would of read it and 2. If your serious you can find it!

Just quoted you as your putting odds up so not pointed but just referring on your post :)

I'VE TRIED I CAN'T FIND IT.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #916 on: May 25, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
Having thought about it and weighed up all the options, I guess you would have to say Moyes would be the ideal candidate; it'd be more a case of if he wanted it and if he was prepared to fit into our set up.

If we were going to give somebody a go without experience, then I would say Clement would be the man I would go to; but I wouldn't prefer that option as I think we need somebody with a bit of nous to organise and drill the defence as Hodgson did.

I hope we don't end up with Downing, as I just can't see that one working. I think we will go for somebody with a bit of experience, although I'd be disappointed if it was one of the current favourites.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #917 on: May 25, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »
Having thought about it and weighed up all the options, I guess you would have to say Moyes would be the ideal candidate; it'd be more a case of if he wanted it and if he was prepared to fit into our set up.If we were going to give somebody a go without experience, then I would say Clement would be the man I would go to; but I wouldn't prefer that option as I think we need somebody with a bit of nous to organise and drill the defence as Hodgson did.

I hope we don't end up with Downing, as I just can't see that one working. I think we will go for somebody with a bit of experience, although I'd be disappointed if it was one of the current favourites.
Peace had reduced his options by committing to keeping Downing and Kiely. It may prove difficult to get a top coach to buy into that as most coaches want their own people around them as we all know...but somehow Peace sees it different.

Moyes would be my preferred option but I would be very surprised if he came.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #918 on: May 25, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
Peace had reduced his options by committing to keeping Downing and Kiely. It may prove difficult to get a top coach to buy into that as most coaches want their own people around them as we all know...but somehow Peace sees it different.

Moyes would be my preferred option but I would be very surprised if he came.

Totally agree. I actually think that Moyes would have some interest in coming here but the staff issue will be the stumbling block. We need a clean sweep because things just haven't worked over the last 18months.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

pompeybaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #919 on: May 25, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
Not saying its true, but my friend at uni's housemate's dad is supposedly on the west brom board of directors and has said clement is imminent, fair bit of money gone down and his odds have dropped over most sites. just a heads up.

palmaroy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #920 on: May 25, 2014, 05:05:53 PM »
Clement is 9/4 favourite on skybets

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #921 on: May 25, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
Not saying its true, but my friend at uni's housemate's dad is supposedly on the west brom board of directors and has said clement is imminent, fair bit of money gone down and his odds have dropped over most sites. just a heads up.

That's quite tenuous!!

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #922 on: May 25, 2014, 05:08:07 PM »

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11235317.Clement_new_favourite_for_Albion_job_after_Euro_glory/

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #923 on: May 25, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
Clement is 9/4 favourite on skybets

6/4 for the other Albion. Looks like a lots of money is going on him for the 2 most obvious teams that would get him

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #924 on: May 25, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »
Id be very happy with Clement.