Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 546307 times)

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #875 on: May 24, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
Does anyone know how long McClaren is contracted to at Derby?

2 years left I think.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #876 on: May 24, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
i do wonder if we are waiting for this weekends results to see what the state of play is. McClaren and Clement both involved in important matches.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #877 on: May 24, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »
Upon re-reading the statement, it's quite easy to interpret as Peace liking a McLaren type figure. He knows the structure, has a great CLUB record. He has the "the wally with the brolly" stigma that needs to be looked beyond. For me now it goes likes this:
McLaren
Jol
Moyes
Clement
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #878 on: May 24, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
Bit disappointed that Harry Redknapp isn't in the list who we could vote for. Best manager England never had.
I'd be mortified if he was ever mentioned in relation to any job with us. I absolutely detest him. The guy is a cancer within football, everything the modern manager or head coach shouldn't be.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #879 on: May 24, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
I'd be mortified if he was ever mentioned in relation to any job with us. I absolutely detest him. The guy is a cancer within football, everything the modern manager or head coach shouldn't be.

Not even this spendaholic could prise open JP's wallet ;D ;D

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #880 on: May 24, 2014, 09:38:13 PM »
I will be delighted if we can persuade McClaren to leave Derby. He reminds me very much of Roy. He is a man of great integrity and humility - as demonstrated in his after match interview today - and he is someone with a similarly impressive track record to Roy.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #881 on: May 24, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »
Bit disappointed that Harry Redknapp isn't in the list who we could vote for. Best manager England never had.

Surely that's a joke? Brian Clough is the best manager England never had Harry Redknapp is the most over rated manager in the country he has spent a large sum of money where ever he has been.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #882 on: May 24, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »
 8)
Surely that's a joke? Brian Clough is the best manager England never had Harry Redknapp is the most over rated manager in the country he has spent a large sum of money where ever he has been.

....and left a number of clubs in a financial mess.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #883 on: May 24, 2014, 09:45:20 PM »
I will be delighted if we can persuade McClaren to leave Derby. He reminds me very much of Roy. He is a man of great integrity and humility - as demonstrated in his after match interview today - and he is someone with a similarly impressive track record to Roy.

I was very much impressed with that interview as well. It oozed character.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #884 on: May 24, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »
So you must be a younger fan who hasn't seen the videos from the 50s 60s 70s and 80s and just seem to want to watch any old dross as long as we stay in the premier!
We have a history that spans longer that 10 years  and that history is primarily attractive and attacking football.
We are not stoke or Wimbledon

Regrettably I am plenty old enough to remember first hand the 60's 70's & 80's but if there was a tradition it pretty much died with the early 80's side. I remember the past but I don't live in it while we were out of the top flight football changed and our current reality is determined by our recent history.

If we ship 2 goals a game we are going down and whilst I would like us to play progressive football it cannot be done at the expensive of our defensive solidity. We can progress we don't have to be as crabby as we were at the latter stages of Clarke's reign but the new coach needs to start from where we are not where we might like to be, 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #885 on: May 24, 2014, 10:32:44 PM »
I still can't get past this with Steve McClaren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #886 on: May 24, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »
No joke, the London press keep telling me how good he is.   :-X
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #887 on: May 24, 2014, 11:12:34 PM »
I still can't get past this with Steve McClaren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90

Yeah, there's such as thing as too much honesty.  ;)

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #888 on: May 25, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
i do wonder if we are waiting for this weekends results to see what the state of play is. McClaren and Clement both involved in important matches.
June 1st when Terry Burton officially starts his role.

Also, they did say a four week appointment which I presume is based on the above.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #889 on: May 25, 2014, 06:17:21 AM »
Regrettably I am plenty old enough to remember first hand the 60's 70's & 80's but if there was a tradition it pretty much died with the early 80's side. I remember the past but I don't live in it while we were out of the top flight football changed and our current reality is determined by our recent history.

If we ship 2 goals a game we are going down and whilst I would like us to play progressive football it cannot be done at the expensive of our defensive solidity. We can progress we don't have to be as crabby as we were at the latter stages of Clarke's reign but the new coach needs to start from where we are not where we might like to be, 

Couldn't agree more.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #890 on: May 25, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »

Why is it I find I always agree with your posts? Spot on, again.
Baggie in Southampton

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #891 on: May 25, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
Just seen an interview with Paul Clement saying he's loved the experience with Real and wants to enjoy the moment of winning the champs league but he's ready to step up now and wants to become a manager. It was definitely a "come and get me" to any club considering him and I would've thought we were.

I'm hoping the search ramps up next week. The official site said Burton officially starts on June 1st so I wouldn't be surprised if the club are at least communicating with Burton at the start of next week to narrow down the short list

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #892 on: May 25, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »

I'm joining the "standaman" appreciation society.

Great post (as always).

From a solely personal perspective I've always been bemused by some of our supporters clinging to this "Albion way" thing like some kind of badge of honour.

To me we have to look at what has worked for us since we gained promotion under RDM and finally gained Premiership stability (on the basis that last season was hopefully a one off blip). With the key issue being the type of players we can realistically hope to attract with our resources, which are clearly limited compared to the majority of clubs at this level, and severely limited in comparison to the 6 clubs who are always in contention for the European competitions.

I feel we have to take a practical and realistically achievable perspective rather than being hamstrung by a need to play in a certain way.

Looking back over recent seasons, to me Roy Hodgson epitomised this approach and did a fantastic job, laying down the foundations for our highest ever finish in the Prem (for which Steve Clarke also obviously deserves credit as well) and for me that's why I've no problem if Albion were to appoint a new Head Coach with a reputation for emphasis on a solid defence and the counter attacking game as I can't see us surviving at this level with any other approach.

Just a personal view, and I'm happy to trust the club to do the right thing, whether it's an internal or external appointment. I thought Peace's recent statement was excellent and very reassuring and feel the appointment of Burton is an astute decision, so I feel pretty chilled about the situation to be honest.

Prokhorych

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #893 on: May 25, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
I feel we have to take a practical and realistically achievable perspective rather than being hamstrung by a need to play in a certain way.

Can't agree I'm afraid. Every club has an approach to the game which is deep in their DNA. Ours is about passing and attacking football. If a head coach takes us too far away from this eventually it will breed discontent - just as is currently happening at West Ham

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #894 on: May 25, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
Can't agree I'm afraid. Every club has an approach to the game which is deep in their DNA. Ours is about passing and attacking football. If a head coach takes us too far away from this eventually it will breed discontent - just as is currently happening at West Ham
There's a balance that's needed. Our best performances under Hodgson and Clarke came when we got the ball down and passed it. There were games under both where there was far too much hoof which frankly produced sterile performances.
Which ever style we play we need pace in wide areas and up front and far more movement than we saw for most of this season.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #895 on: May 25, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »
8)
....and left a number of clubs in a financial mess.

Exactly! Guess who's finances are not in a mess.

thelawyer

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #896 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
Paul Clement was interviewed after the Champions League final and confirmed he was looking for a head coach role now and felt he had served his apprenticeship. Just wonder whether now play offs and champions league is out the way we might see some more overt momentum in the hunt.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #897 on: May 25, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
Paul Clement was interviewed after the Champions League final and confirmed he was looking for a head coach role now and felt he had served his apprenticeship. Just wonder whether now play offs and champions league is out the way we might see some more overt momentum in the hunt.

That and Burton's arrival, I'm guessing things will move on fast in the next 2 weeks

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #898 on: May 25, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
Just seen an interview with Paul Clement saying he's loved the experience with Real and wants to enjoy the moment of winning the champs league but he's ready to step up now and wants to become a manager. It was definitely a "come and get me" to any club considering him and I would've thought we were.

I'm hoping the search ramps up next week. The official site said Burton officially starts on June 1st so I wouldn't be surprised if the club are at least communicating with Burton at the start of next week to narrow down the short list

Apparently Burton has been in regular contact with the club concerning the new head coach I think the short list will be place by the time he starts on June 1st.

I am not sure we will promote an assistant to the Head Coach position again after Clarke whose CV was not too dissimilar to Clement's lots of experience as an assistant at big clubs where he would be working with players that are generally better than ours and no experience of being a Head Coach.

Personally I championed Clarke's appointment and thought given that the role at Albion is primarily about hands on coaching his lack of experience as a number one did not particularly matter. However as things began to unravel in the second half of his first season it was apparent that he lacked the required leadership skills to turn the situation around.   

Coming back to the style debate I think Swansea are often held up as the team with a consistently attractive style that has been maintained across the reign of several managers and on resources that are not dissimilar to ours. Firstly what people tend to overlook is that Rodgers tightened them up defensively and they still don't give too much away at the back. Secondly their style was born in the third tier of English football where they would have been one of the bigger clubs and would have been able to attract the best players in that Division, something we did in the championship under Mowbray but failed to follow it through by staying in the Premier League. 

We on the other hand have achieved success on the basis of the work Hodgson did with the squad it was hard working and disciplined. Under Clarke we lost our way for a whole host of reasons and then imported Mel midway through a season and he tried to change our style of play radically in the midst of a relegation scrap. Unfortunately I think that was very much a case of trying to run before we could walk.

We need to look to the next coach to build on what is here in much the same way Hughes has done at Stoke who coincidently out passed us for large parts of the final game of the season. I hope the coach starts the process of changing our style to something more progressive but not at the expense of being defensively sound.             
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:38:28 PM by standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #899 on: May 25, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
Well when you put it that way Standaman, perhaps the trio of McClaren, Jol and Moyes should be the faves