Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 549787 times)

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
You know what watching Tim Sherwood on goals on Sunday he could quite easily win me over.Pity i couldn't see him getting on with JP though.No more paly paly dressing rooms thats for sure
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #501 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »
The more I read and hear, the more I think Downing will get the job.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #502 on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »
If David Moyes does come to the Albion,it wouldnt be too dissimilar to when Hodgson joined.

Torrid time at a top club, sacked after a short amount of time,eager to show that there a quality manager. I think it would be prudent of JP to make this case if he doees talk to DM. Look at Hodgson now, most prestigious job in English football.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #503 on: May 18, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »

You sure do like winding me up :)

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #504 on: May 18, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
I was feeling very happy on this nice sunny day until I read that.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #505 on: May 18, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »
Lets hope when the new Head coach comes in we can say thank you and a goodbye to Downing

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #506 on: May 18, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
I actually think Steve Bould would be a decent choice. We really need more of a coach than a manager, and he's been at Arsenal for 14 years so certainly done his time.

It's hardly like getting Clarke was disaster, we finished 8th, then ok this season was going fairly poorly (though we'd still have probably at least got the points total we did) but it shouldn't put the club going off that route again. Even then Clarke was clearly messed about on the transfer front (though he takes blame for the two worst I guess). More so, whereas Clarke has mainly worked under more attritional managers, Mourinho no doubt his main mentor, Bould would surely have largely learned off Wenger where he's been since 2001. Regardless of which, Clarke's eventual sacking shouldn't mean we don't go down that route any more than sacking an established manager should mean that a club shouldn't go down that route either.

Looking at the options we've got, if we've a commitment to someone who works/worked in England, then he seems a better option than most names floating around.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:17:58 PM by Dan »

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #507 on: May 18, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
Bould would not be a bold choice, just too much of a leap of faith.

The job needs a bloke with a track record of being being to adapt to different problems, be they tactical (i.e. how do you solve Albion's mid-winter rut of indifference that we seem to fall into every year?) or with personnel (touch wood we don't have problems again with players like we did last season, but it'd need a wise head to steer a course through that sort of situation).

Even Clarke who'd seen quite a lot as number two gave me the impression of being like a rabbit in the headlights towards the end of his time. 

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #508 on: May 18, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
There's room for a club like us to take an educated guess on a former number 2, who may have what it takes to go bigger. But that is only when the club has a solid foundation and is on a forward momentum, like when SC took over from Hodgson (granted it didn't really work out, but it was worth the shot)

Now is veryu much not the time for inexperienced hands. For that reason, I vote Martin Jol
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #509 on: May 18, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
I have said previous i would like Martin Jol, but have to say Tim Sherwood is growing on me, if there are egos in our changing rooms still, he would no doubt take them on such is his ego!

I also think due to our current status we could take on somebody inexperienced, when Roy came in, due to his career he could work with what he had and make them better, because we need pretty much a whole team numbers wise we could bring somebody in and let them start afresh to a certain extent, ie - let them get players they want for their style so there is no repeat of the Pepe Mel scenario.

I would say out our current players probably Foster, MacAuley and Mulumbu are the certain starters, others such as Olsson, Yacob and Morrison may be moved on either at their request or at the clubs and i think its upto the likes of Brunt, Dorrans, Sess and Anichebe to prove they are more than squad players, the younger lads Berahino, O' Neill, Thorne all also have the chance to make a name for themselves next season too.

Potentially its quite an exciting job, we are now an established Prem club and i just hope we get somebody who plays entertaining football.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #510 on: May 18, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
I have said previous i would like Martin Jol, but have to say Tim Sherwood is growing on me, if there are egos in our changing rooms still, he would no doubt take them on such is his ego!

I also think due to our current status we could take on somebody inexperienced, when Roy came in, due to his career he could work with what he had and make them better, because we need pretty much a whole team numbers wise we could bring somebody in and let them start afresh to a certain extent, ie - let them get players they want for their style so there is no repeat of the Pepe Mel scenario.

I would say out our current players probably Foster, MacAuley and Mulumbu are the certain starters, others such as Olsson, Yacob and Morrison may be moved on either at their request or at the clubs and i think its upto the likes of Brunt, Dorrans, Sess and Anichebe to prove they are more than squad players, the younger lads Berahino, O' Neill, Thorne all also have the chance to make a name for themselves next season too.

Potentially its quite an exciting job, we are now an established Prem club and i just hope we get somebody who plays entertaining football.
Trouble is, we had someone who liked to play entertaining football but the players didn't want to know. We certainly need someone strong enough to INSIST if that's the way he wants to play, which we all hope he does.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #511 on: May 18, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
tim and les as number 2 , loved what he said today get the young home grown players out there , and don't talk bulls--t  ;)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #512 on: May 18, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »
I think it will be an established coach, Jol is a possibility, but someone of his stature, maybe a former international coach.
Baggie in Southampton

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #513 on: May 18, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
tim and les as number 2 , loved what he said today get the young home grown players out there , and don't talk bulls--t  ;)
They were both fantastic. Tim sherwood believe me should be our next head coach. I will renew my ticket immediately

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #514 on: May 18, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Can't see the players being happy with Sherwood, most of them would be gutted that their mate Downing ain't the gaffer. In all seriousness Sherwood would be the ideal Head Coach for me.
*He would tell it as it is
* Like's to bring youth players through -(Kane,Bentaleb at Spurs)
* Not afraid to drop players
* Gets the best out of players.

With Terry Burton in aswell as DOF it could be a good team.He could also bring Les Ferdinand in and he could teach Anichebe how to shoot. ;D
BOING BOING

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #515 on: May 18, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »

As much as I respect Downing I hope not. These players have arguably forced two managers out and now need the law laying down. Downing will not do this and represents the softer option to the players hence their support. Peace will like the idea too as it is the cheaper option. However we need a strong manager with the contacts to bring in 10 good players to play the way he wants - Downing will not do this as good as a man he is.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #516 on: May 18, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »
Can't see the players being happy with Sherwood, most of them would be gutted that their mate Downing ain't the gaffer. In all seriousness Sherwood would be the ideal Head Coach for me.
*He would tell it as it is
* Like's to bring youth players through -(Kane,Bentaleb at Spurs)
* Not afraid to drop players
* Gets the best out of players.

With Terry Burton in aswell as DOF it could be a good team.He could also bring Les Ferdinand in and he could teach Anichebe how to shoot. ;D

And theres one reason why Sherwood is growing on me. Sick of hearing what the players are happy with and not happy with. I've not been happy with the dross some of these overpaid, over pampered superstars have been serving up this season so someone to come and shake it up a bit will do for me.

The players have to learn to either fit in or stick a transfer request in and see where they end up as not many if any will get a bigger and better club than this one.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #517 on: May 18, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
And theres one reason why Sherwood is growing on me. Sick of hearing what the players are happy with and not happy with. I've not been happy with the dross some of these overpaid, over pampered superstars have been serving up this season so someone to come and shake it up a bit will do for me.

The players have to learn to either fit in or stick a transfer request in and see where they end up as not many if any will get a bigger and better club than this one.

Me too. If the players aren't happy, slap in a transfer request and get the hell out of the club at the earliest opportunity OR buckle down, act like the professionals they are supposed to be and get on with it.

The next manager needs to have an air of authority about him and Peace and his men need to back him. Any player that knocks on any door to complain about anything I'd be fining two weeks wages and reminding them who runs the club.

baggieboytom

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #518 on: May 18, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »
As much as Sherwood is growing on me too, did I make it up or did CL already say that Sherwood would not be appointed by the board?
we are albion say we are albion

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #519 on: May 18, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
I watched GOS this morning and I must say that Tim Sherwood is growing on me - I thought he was really good to listen too.

I know he has a bit of arrogance and smugness about him but I would get over that given time, but then again, I guess all managers that go onto achieve something with their careers have to have those traits about them. They won't get anywhere being a pushover.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #520 on: May 18, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »
I watched GOS this morning and I must say that Tim Sherwood is growing on me - I thought he was really good to listen too.

I know he has a bit of arrogance and smugness about him but I would get over that given time, but then again, I guess all managers that go onto achieve something with their careers have to have those traits about them. They won't get anywhere being a pushover.
Yep,Mel wanted his boys over,peace said no,Mel backed down...now imagine mourinho/guardiola etc backing down??,me either.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #521 on: May 18, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »
Yep,Mel wanted his boys over,peace said no,Mel backed down...now imagine mourinho/guardiola etc backing down??,me either.

It's hardly a fair comparison is it when you consider what Mourinho and Guardiola have achieved in their managerial careers.

I also have no idea what you mean about "Mel backed down".

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

ronny boy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #522 on: May 18, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
As well as Sherwood is coming across on TV lately, I don't think JP will see him as having the necessary experience to take us forward next season. The same can be said for Downing.

We need a head coach who can actually coach, has had some kind of success in the prem and commands respect. Jol, Moyes, McClaren and Phelan all possibly fit the bill, although I cant see us paying compensation so I'd rule McClaren out.

I was hoping for Jol in January and would still like him now, but wouldn't be too unhappy with either Moyes or Phelan.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #523 on: May 18, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
I guess another thing in Sherwood's favour(at least in Peace's mind) is that he doesn't have any backroom staff that he'll want to bring with him. I know Ferdinand was with him at Spurs but he was on Goals On Sunday saying he had spoke to Levy about staying there.

I'm warming to the idea of Sherwood, but I just don't think Peace will go for him.

Ben1983

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #524 on: May 18, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
Sherwoods my 1st choice with Mackay 2nd!
WestBrom.com FC Number 10