Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 549656 times)

eaststandbaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #425 on: May 16, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
The current speculation of who the next coach will be, maybe mildly interesting.But the way the hierarchical management team preform it will be a long drawn out process.
All 50 or so candidates need to be vetted ,sorted into who is the cheapest,who is a yes man.Who will not demand we buy expensive players.
Who will be happy working with the current dressing room and the cliques who flourish there .and can dictate what style of football we play,even if it nearly dropped us into the championship.
I only hope the selection is lead by our new Director of Football as he seems to be the only member of staff who has clue,
I think you can forget all the name banded about at the moment,it is paper talk or ITK people who are not really in the know.
I think even the directors have not got an idea at the moment.So lets look forward to 3/4 weeks of newspaper fed frenzy.Only to be totally underwhelmed when the new coach is announced.
I was there when The King put the ball in the Everton net.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #426 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »
Betting tip  ;)

Print  off the list of 'candidates' on oddschecker.

Rule people in or out based on our usual methods.

Put a quid on all those left.

I won a massive £33 using this method when Pepe Mel was appointed.

I came out with a £7 net loss though!  ;D

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #427 on: May 16, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
Betting tip 

Print  off the list of 'candidates' on oddschecker.

Rule people in or out based on our usual methods.

Put a quid on all those left.

I won a massive £33 using this method when Pepe Mel was appointed.

I came out with a £7 net loss though!  ;D
That's not a tip...it's a warning.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: May 16, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »

Latest Odds BET365
A real change in the odds today with less money going on Downing/Sherwood but Jones was 8/1 yesterday so someone has had a largeish punt.

Show GraphDave Jones           3   Really? Would we seriously consider him? I do hope NOT                  
Show GraphMalky Mackay   6   
Show GraphTim Sherwood   11/2   
Show GraphGlenn Hoddle   7   
Show GraphChris Hughton   8
Show GraphKeith Downing   10
Show GraphBrian McDermott   11
Show GraphDerek McInnes   8
Show GraphNeil Lennon   20
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #429 on: May 16, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »

Latest Odds BET365
A real change in the odds today with less money going on Downing/Sherwood but Jones was 8/1 yesterday so someone has had a largeish punt.

Show GraphDave Jones           3   Really? Would we seriously consider him? I do hope NOT                  

Its looking at tables like this thats making me depressed  >:( :(

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #430 on: May 16, 2014, 12:05:45 PM »

Latest Odds BET365

The club have said its going to take 4-6 weeks to hire a coach. These betting odds mean nothing and are irrelevant

baggie steve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #431 on: May 16, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »
No smoke without fire and the name Dave Jones keeps cropping up.......He's not my choice by a long way but just have a feeling it will be him.....

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »
The club needs to get the fans back on side.  The appointment of Jones would have the opposite effect.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
Just been watching an interview with CL on the Evening Mail website.

Some quotes...Peace is "aiming high" with this appointment "higher than Steve Clarke"...it will be an "English speaking manager".

He also said Mel was a mistake, and that Peace said no one had been approached yet.

That kind of puts Jones back in his box doesn't it? Even his strongest supporters would struggle to make him "higher than Steve Clarke". Same goes for Downing.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
No smoke without fire and the name Dave Jones keeps cropping up.......He's not my choice by a long way but just have a feeling it will be him.....

Don't think there's any fire this time. Punters just know the connection between DJ and Burton.  We also made no secret that we have spoke to him during our due diligence a few times in the past. Jones's career has gone backwards since we spoke to him first a decade ago. There is no way we will go for him, Peace is not that daft.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
Just been watching an interview with CL on the Evening Mail website.

Some quotes...Peace is "aiming high" with this appointment "higher than Steve Clarke"...it will be an "English speaking manager".

He also said Mel was a mistake, and that Peace said no one had been approached yet.

That kind of puts Jones back in his box doesn't it? Even his strongest supporters would struggle to make him "higher than Steve Clarke". Same goes for Downing.

Hoddle ?
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #436 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
I'd rather almost anyone than Hoddle.

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #437 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »

Here is a link for everyone who believes in this ridiculous and damaging fallacy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ybLA2Ux3to
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #438 on: May 16, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
Here is a link for everyone who believes in this ridiculous and damaging fallacy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ybLA2Ux3to

Haha. In all seriousness though, if our country and justice system was based on "no smoke without fire" then a lot of innocent people would be in prison. One of the most illogical phrases out there.

People are reading far too much into betting odds yet again.

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #439 on: May 16, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
I wonder if Carlos Queiroz might be considered? Vastly experienced Coach who may be available after the World Cup.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #440 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:25 PM »

Latest Odds BET365

I think that's the operative term. I'd bet (excuse pun) that relatively little money has been wagered as yet on this market, so even a small number of people making a bet on a particular name will skew the market.

Love the 'aiming high' quote. It gives me a bit of hope.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #441 on: May 16, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »
Everything points towards David moyes. I think he may have applied for the job too

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #442 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
Thats list is seriously depressing, however I would be surprised if it was any of those. Most of them have been 1st/2nd/3rd favourite for our managers job at some point in the last 3 years and none of them have ever got it despite the press insisting 'mackay is the favourite' 'hughton to be announced next week' 'albion to target curbishley' etc etc year after year.

The only ones I could remotely see it being on that list are Mackay or Lennon

Dave Jones - No chance, lazy journalism at best           

Malky Mackay - Possible, but I think he is off to Norwich hence why his dispute with Tan was solved so swiftly. 

Tim Sherwood - No way Peace would appoint someone with his personality

Glenn Hoddle - Again cant see him fitting in to our structure. I know he is a coach but has a huge ego

Chris Hughton - Could of appointed him 2 or 3 times now when his stock was a lot lot higher. Can't see why we would go back in for him now when it's plummeted.

Keith Downing - Have a slight doubt (panic) this could come off, but I don't think Peace would be stupid enough.

Brian McDermott - Can't see this at all 

Derek McInnes - If he didn't play for us he wouldn't be in the top 50 for this job. How would you feel now if we were being linked with a Dundee Utd manager who previously got Peterborough relegated? Peace doesn't look at it like a fan and without that there's no reason to appoint him.

Neil Lennon - Really really hope not. As a man I think he's utterly detestable, as a manager he has proved absolutely nothing. Rather get Mcinnes even without the connection.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #443 on: May 16, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »

Dave Jones - No chance, lazy journalism at best           

Wasnt he in the final 3 with Mel though? I hope your right but Jones would be the worst case scenario closely followed by Downing getting the job. Ill take anything other then them two

Wbahunty

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #444 on: May 16, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
Everything points towards David moyes. I think he may have applied for the job too

I would like to see him as Albion manager, would be a great appointment for a club like us! Its simlar to Hodgson getting the job, not liked at Liverpool, next West Bromwich Boss and I never thought that would happen!

If we are unable too (and proberbly are), get him then I would hate to see a manager such as Dave Jones come in...we need a bit of stability and if we appoint somone who has taken a club down before then if we start the season with 3 losses then the fans will be panicing almost from the off and we will have another sacking on the cards.

We need to go big or go home!

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #445 on: May 16, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
Moyes has a bigger profile than Hodgson did, not to mention Hodgson needed to get back into management for the England job. Moyes meanwhile will know that basically any side outside the top 7 would love him as manager.

baggieboytom

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #446 on: May 16, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »
Taking as many factors as I can into account, this is who I wouldn't mind take over as head coach; picking from the top 20 on oddschecker.

Tim Sherwood - Abit of a wildcard, but I don't think he did a bad job at spurs, not sure on his position with regard to his coaching badges but i'm sure it wouldn't be much of an issue. Sounds like the club arn't interested though, and he may be off to Brighton.

Andrea Mandorlini - Looks like a promising option but I don't think the club are that keen on another foreign coach.

David Moyes - This is my preferred option, think it could be a good move for everyone involved, especially if Moyes is mentally ready to jump straight back into coaching.

Dick Advocaat - I think this is pretty unlikely to happen but wouldn't say no.

Some more options down the list below the top20 I like/wouldn't mind;
Paul Clement,
Dan Petrescu,
Uwe Rosler,
Slaven Bilic.
we are albion say we are albion

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #447 on: May 16, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Dave Jones laugh out loud, not a cat in hells chance
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #448 on: May 16, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
Personally I find Moyes a rather boring and stiff coach. He failed at United because his idea of football is way too static and square. United have always been a very dynamic, attacking side but Moyes had no idea how to step up. Everton always were one of the "best of the rest clubs" but even if they never had serious resources to put into the team they always had a bit of muscle compared to clubs like us.

Having said that, if we are looking for a 'safe' coach to keep grinding out mid table security year in and year out Moyes would probably be a very, very safe bet. Without a shadow of a doubt there are far worse candidates out there. Also Moyes is a good, decent man which in my book is important. 

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #449 on: May 16, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
Glad some people are warming to the idea of Moysey.

I always thought his Everton were a mixed bag. They could certainly grind out a result and could get very physical, but to give him and them their due they were never anything less than disciplined and professional, and could play with some style when circumstances permitted. He made them a very balanced team.

I know Martinez has taken things up a notch, but he had Moyes's foundations to build on.

Him aside, I can't really think who would be a better fit for us. I do think Hughton comes across well as a person and I don't think he's a completely busted flush as a coach, but Norwich's inability to score last season and find a way out of that rut is a cause for concern, especially as if we don't get proper investment in our squad things could easily go that way for us.

No-one else on the list apart from Lennon inspires me really.

FWIW I think Hoddle is a bit of a latter day George Graham or Curbishley, i.e. has been good in the past but a longish time out of football and just a name bandied around almost for the sake of it. 

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:34:31 PM by Rheneas »