Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 549671 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #400 on: May 15, 2014, 05:09:27 AM »
Put it this way! It wont be someone who wants to play open attractive, attacking football as the players cant ,wont play it.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #401 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:02 AM »
"Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers prepared to offload players who have failed to make impression" (quote from today's Guardian).

That's how you improve your team and squad. Players that don't cut it get moved on, not kept on the books because they are difficult to move on. Or rather, they are not difficult to move on, but the difficulty is to try and make some sucker pay over the odds for a player who hasn't impressed. And when nobody pays over the odds, why the club ends up NOT moving the failed player on. Subsequently there is no improvement of the team and squad. Duh.

We can play change the head coach forever but until we have a functional squad it won't matter. Put a decent squad in place and I'm sure a lot of people could do a decent job. Since we lost our cutting edge we have had a championship team. If we want to survive in the Prem we need a Prem level team. No head coach can keep a Championship level team in the Prem forever.

Spot on. The current crop of players which the majority of the squad are made up of have been here 3+ years and when drilled well under Roy really over achieved. That's what Hodgson does, takes average teams and makes them hard to beat. Since then we've made no permanent improvements and actually lost plates that improved the squad. We need a ruthless squad assessment every post season.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:06:01 AM by PsalmXXIII »

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #402 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »
Good in my opinion. I would rather they do their homework and get this one right.

its shocking and its hopeless. it is utterly inconceivable that the decision to part company with Pepe Mel was not made several weeks ago and most of us - whilst not liking it - could see the writing on that particular wall way back. The board had the opportunity to back Mel but essentially hung him out to dry. In that case presumably the search for a new manager should have been under way - so what we are saying is that its going to take us three months to find our man. I seem to recall JP being lauded for having someone in place when he sacked RDM - thats looking more like luck than judgement right now!

oh and if all the decisions on players are being made by Mr Burton why not give him the job....oh i know its the players who are managing the team!!

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #403 on: May 15, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »
The board are clearly hoping for an early exit from the World Cup for England so they can tempt Uncle Roy back.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #404 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
Put it this way! It wont be someone who wants to play open attractive, attacking football as the players cant ,wont play it.

It won't be someone who wants to move to a style of play that does not suit the current players overnight but it does not mean that style is unattractive. Don't get me wrong I am not happy with the current players and regardless of their response to Mel's approach their level of application in the last three games is typical of their performances since they were safe by last Christmas which is pretty poor. However just replacing the players out of contract and the loanees is 8 players and that gives the new coach plenty of scope to remould the squad.

Whoever comes in the first priority is to stop us shipping in two goals a game regardless of what we do going forward that will kill us. All that will take is some organisation and drilling the basics into the players it is what Roy did and his successors have failed to do.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

wbarich

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #405 on: May 15, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
Look on @DougWoodsorMole - this lad on twitter is bigtime saying it's going to be Dave Jones. Sounds pretty sure, hoping it's just the usual BS rumours on Twitter though ...

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #406 on: May 15, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
Look on @DougWoodsorMole - this lad on twitter is bigtime saying it's going to be Dave Jones. Sounds pretty sure, hoping it's just the usual BS rumours on Twitter though ...

I really don't get why there are so many rumours about Dave Jones. That's not a dig but his name won't go away. Is there a reason why I should be concerned or is it just because he is an out of work manager. Surely the club won't be considering someone who left Sheffield Weds in Dec 2013, two places of the bottom of the championship!

wbarich

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #407 on: May 15, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
I really hope we don't get Jones. There are so many rumours because of the Terry Burton link, as well as Jones being available, cheap & British which would suit JP down to the ground! I agree though surely we won't be stupid enough to appoint him, it would be an outrage!

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #408 on: May 15, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »

Bio states he works for the Daily Mirror so I wouldn't get too upset just yet.
"This crack is really moreish."

wbarich

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: May 15, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
Bio states he works for the Daily Mirror so I wouldn't get too upset just yet.

I didn't see that bit .. panic over .. for now!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #410 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »

Dave Jones is not in the running for West Brom's next manager according to WM last night.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
Dave Jones is not in the running for West Brom's next manager according to WM last night.

Chris Lepkowski would back that up.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »

Theres is a god!

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #413 on: May 15, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
If we are going to have a Head Coach rather than a Manager, i would like to see someone come in who is actually going to do what the job tital means , which is improve players technically and the team working as a unit.
this is exactly what Roy did and all very good coaches do, anybody can pick a team and send it out and is what as been happening for the last 2 years.
So lets have a coach who will improve players and work with the team on the training ground.
My pick would be some one like Hoddle  not someone who as just got his coaching badges.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #414 on: May 15, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »
Would Frank Rijkaard come under that heading :) :)?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #415 on: May 15, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
I still think it will be Hughton. We were after him before we appointed Clarke so it wouldn't surprise me if we at least give him a interview.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #416 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »
I still think it will be Hughton. We were after him before we appointed Clarke so it wouldn't surprise me if we at least give him a interview.

But if he still insists on bringing his mates along for the ride then it's a no go from the off.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #417 on: May 15, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
Alas , i think you might be right so lets all go back to sleep now.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:13 PM »
Derek McInnes' time has come.

Inspirational captain of the Club and Megson's first lieutenant - read Dave Matthews book if you need additional evidence of this.
St Johnstone were in the middle of nowhere when he was given his first managerial job. He got them into the Premier league and laid the foundations of this weekend's Cup Final and Europe next season. He saved Bristol City from a hopeless position then did not receive any essential board financial support the following season with inevitable results.
At Aberdeen he has won a trophy in his first season - that Club's first for 20 years!

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #419 on: May 15, 2014, 10:00:31 PM »
I disagree myself i think mcinnes would be a bad apointment. We think the premier league is out of his depth.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: May 15, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »

Inspirational captain of the Club and Megson's first lieutenant - read Dave Matthews book if you need additional evidence of this.
St Johnstone were in the middle of nowhere when he was given his first managerial job. He got them into the Premier league and laid the foundations of this weekend's Cup Final and Europe next season. He saved Bristol City from a hopeless position then did not receive any essential board financial support the following season with inevitable results.
At Aberdeen he has won a trophy in his first season - that Club's first for 20 years!

I think its far to soon for Mcinnes. I think we now need someone with plenty of premier league experience and is going to give the current crop of players a good kick up the backside. Aswell as being able to attract quality players to seriously strengthen the dross we have at the moment.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #421 on: May 15, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »

If you want someone other than  from the usual suspects McInnes is your man , certainly get a few upset fans back .
Looking at it another way if we don't go for him and he turns up in the top flight as a success we will be kicking ourselves.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:06:41 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #422 on: May 15, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
I think its far to soon for Mcinnes. I think we now need someone with plenty of premier league experience and is going to give the current crop of players a good kick up the backside. Aswell as being able to attract quality players to seriously strengthen the dross we have at the moment.

I don't buy this "attract quality players" really. The players go where there is the best money/opportunity. The PL coaches with plenty of "experience" tend to be previous failures that are recycled because they have "experience" (at failing I guess). Oh for a head coach with real talent.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #423 on: May 16, 2014, 08:23:38 AM »
Was going to say not many good coaches about but that statement is wrong. There are men who have sacrificed their principles to try and stay in a job for more than five minutes mediocre players now have the power so good luck to who ever gets job you will need it

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #424 on: May 16, 2014, 08:36:32 AM »
Was going to say not many good coaches about but that statement is wrong. There are men who have sacrificed their principles to try and stay in a job for more than five minutes mediocre players now have the power so good luck to who ever gets job you will need it

Absolutely agree with the sentiment. Our players are prime examples of the irresponsible, adolescent breed of sportsman that infests top level football. They have been a disgrace for eighteen months now and unless the next head coach is backed in standing up to them and getting them into shape then our decline will continue.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.