Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 554664 times)

lickey baggies

• WBA Newbie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #1250 on: May 29, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »
I didn't know dick advocaat had a hat !

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1251 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »
Played in the 3 - 0 win when Hartson scored on his debut and in the massacre at the Custard Bowl in the FA Cup:D :D :D

The Pie & Pint game.Fantastic when you all left your Tesco carrier bags on the seats

Anyway back to topic ah
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1252 on: May 29, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »
Dingle Dave (Jones) with Dingle Keith as his assistant............Dream Team  :P  :D

On a serious note, all of the people that we thought were likely to get it are being ruled out!!!
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1253 on: May 29, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »
isn't snowball out of contract at AZ now was only on short term deal

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1254 on: May 29, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »
isn't snowball out of contract at AZ now was only on short term deal

Advocart, i get it :)
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

blue

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1255 on: May 29, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
Advocaat has not renewed his contract at AZ and says he wants to go and work outside the nederlands this summer. So he might of applied.

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1256 on: May 29, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »

Advocart, i get it :)

sorry couldn't resist  ;D

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1257 on: May 29, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »
Not for Tottenham apparently! It'll be interesting to see how quuckly Southampton appoint someone as well.
It will be interesting to see how much Tottenham let their new manager spend and how quickly into their season it is before they sack him? Maybe they should take more time over their appointments :-X
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1258 on: May 29, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »
Why? Time taken is no indication of lack of quality. We've obviously targeted a lot of people and as CL said today we've not spoken to everyone yet. Talks don't happen in the space of an hour then you write someone off. Different negotiations need to be first organised (I'd imagine a few candidates have said they'll see us after their holidays) then the interview could be a week later so depending on when they were approached and where they were when we asked it's conceivable that two weeks would be needed to get the ball rolling.

It's absolutely ridiculous to think that two weeks into a managerial hunt POST SEASON is some sign of us dithering. Hypothetically with Mel being sacked a few days after the season ended, people go on holiday, both internally and externally - it's the end of a bad season and they want to get away. Say candidate A is on holiday when we phone his people and he says I'll come and have talks when I'm back in a week and half. Bam, two weeks have passed. Candidate B, C, D, etc aren't going to be sitting there on the same day in a waiting room for the job. To sell the job to candidates will require a lot of show and tell including training facilities, ground, etc. You can't do that in less than a day.

Nobody knows what's going on at the club and the pessimists are panicking. They're not buying a loaf of bread and some eggs. They've been scrutinised all season for decisions so to me a rushed decision is more likely to be damaging than taking time getting it right. Let's face it d we are going to get a good quality coach that we all want, he ain't going to walk in the door, have tea and biscuits and sign a deal on the spot.

And moaning how we've not done a Tottenham is mad too - bigger club with more money poaches a promising coach from a smaller team, paying vast amounts of money to do so. That's like moaning that Chelsea beat us to signing a player by offering more money and being more attractive - how could they do that!

All this time with due diligence and quality control over 4 weeks last time got us Pepe Mel!!! By your logic if we spent two months this time we would end up with Solbakken. In addition what has changed with the managers they interviewed and considered and rejected last time that should have cut down some of the time for consideration.
And if time is not an issue with the way the club works do you hope we sign two players at the 11th hour on transfer deadline day again for over £10m? I think it is symptomatic of poor leadership and indecisiveness. It maybe that the size of our club and the restraints of chairman that we keep getting turned down by our first, second and third choice etc and that is what takes so long but its not through proficient and skilled management.

More reasons why we are taking too long http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/albions-managerial-problems-affecting-players-7186285
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:44:06 PM by Quakes Fan »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1259 on: May 29, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1260 on: May 29, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
That whole article is pure speculation

The normally low levels of local media have sunk even lower today, what with the Billy Jones misleading headline also.... Very shoddy work by the local Journos
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1261 on: May 29, 2014, 08:31:14 PM »
Speculation or poor journalism people are in a world of their own if they think not having a manager won't effect who or when we sign players - yes some will sign but anyone worth there salt will refrain from signing until they know who's in charge, how they'll play etc.
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1262 on: May 29, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »
The normally low levels of local media have sunk even lower today, what with the Billy Jones misleading headline also.... Very shoddy work by the local Journos

I don't think journalists that write the articles write the headlines - that's the sub-editors. That's why headlines are always sensationalistic or don't always match the stories.

I know the Mails job isn't to help WBA but it shouldn't be harming us either. Lots of poor articles of late.

I don't really get the panic that we don't have a manager yet. Spurs got one faster than us. So what?! Spurs quite frankly will probably have people bending backwards to get their job. Man U took a while to name a manager and have done fine. It's not like nothings happening at the club. If by the same time next week, things are exactly the same then yes, it's going to be pretty frustrating.

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1263 on: May 29, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »
Whether or not he gets it is a different matter - but Dave Jones is WELL in the mix! Sigh!

stubba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1264 on: May 29, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
Whether or not he gets it is a different matter - but Dave Jones is WELL in the mix! Sigh!

says who?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:19:49 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

palmaroy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1265 on: May 29, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
Has anybody noticed Dick Advocaat is suddenly 10/1.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1266 on: May 29, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »

Yeah just saw that but you never know, may mean nothing

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1267 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »
Yeah just saw that but you never know, may mean nothing
Got 28s earlier

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1268 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:25 PM »

Nearly all Dutch managers tend to be strong on tactics and look to play 'technical' football i.e. attacking and passing football. However, I would much prefer Frank de Boer who has now won 4 championships at Ajax.  Ronald Koeman, finished second at Feyenoord, and as former top international players, both would command more respect from the players. Although Advocaat has been on the circuit for ever, he's mainly managed  mid table clubs. He's a bit of a street fighter, and can rub people up the wrong way. 

One excellent Dutch manger would be Bert van Marwijk, the national manger who got Holland to the last World Cup Final, but he had a bad time at Hamburg. Marco van Basten will be at AZ Alkmaar next season, but I don't think he has proven himself. And Martin Jol is still free!
One problem you won't have with a Dutch manager is communication, as they all speak English.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1269 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
The Mail is reporting that we did consider making an official approach for Steve McClaren but we were told we would be wasting our time. Another to strike off the list then! It is slowly being whittled down to Downing, unfortunately. Clement is still favourite with the bookies despite his chances being written off.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1270 on: May 29, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »
Is he? As far as has been reported he will be holding talks with a number of clubs over a possible transfer; Sunderland, Swansea, West Ham, Arsenal etc. I imagine his wage demands(which was why he didn't go to Newcastle) would be more of a stumbling block for us rather than any "dithering" as you put it.

yes he is and yes he has.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

cuckfield1704

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1271 on: May 30, 2014, 07:27:07 AM »
Although Advocaat has been on the circuit for ever, he's mainly managed  mid table clubs. He's a bit of a street fighter, and can rub people up the wrong way. 

Our guys, quite disgracefully, wouldn't play the high energy style required by Pepe Mel which the Southampton guys took on board very profitably for Pochetti.

So if you want to sort out our troublesome dressing room then Advocaat is your man. as a player over 500 games as a midfield enforcer in the Dutch League and has successfully managed many clubs across Europe including the then mighty Rangers and winning the UEFA Cup with Zenit and if you can hack it as a football manager in Russia, and outside Moscow too, then you can handle anything.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1272 on: May 30, 2014, 07:44:49 AM »

As the old saying goes, had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1273 on: May 30, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »
As the old saying goes, had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus

With the way we get through managers it would be a match made in heaven.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1274 on: May 30, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »
Dick Advocaat sounds like the guy we should have got in January sort things out a bit iron out some of the ego's in the dressing room and move on in a season or two. I would hope for an appointment with a bit more mileage in it now.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.