Author Topic: 13 Mar 2021 Crystal Palace 1 Albion 0  (Read 29968 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #325 on: March 13, 2021, 06:47:40 PM »
It was ordinary, very ordinary in a must win game. We never looked like scoring, we never looked like creating anything worthwhile and despite our possession it was all very pedestrian.

The game hinged on the mistake which was sheer stupidity from Furlong. From there on, Palace were absolutely comfortable. Even so, a 0-0 wouldn’t have been enough.

Defensively we were okay but Palace didn’t need to trouble us after getting the opening goal.

The lack of substitutions is again questionable. Diangana and Robinson may not be the greatest players in the world, but they can be direct, they can commit defenders and they can make things happen. After the removal of Pereira we ended up with a side of similar qualities - nobody capable of committing a defender and were therefore easy to defend against.

Townsend - man of the match.

I agree with all of this, we'll summed up. Easiest clean sheet Palace will have this season. The team now appear to know they are doomed and are going through the motions.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #326 on: March 13, 2021, 07:10:35 PM »
Yes they are. If Furlong doesn't handle and we nick a goal everyone would be singing a different song.

That's the fickleness of football fans.

Not even scousers could nick a goal for us at present.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #327 on: March 13, 2021, 07:32:55 PM »
Theres nothing wrong with our passion or commitment. There was nothing wrong with us off the ball either. It's a lack of quality and belief in the final third that is the problem.

It may not seem like it but this eleven / thirteen is not far off from being useful, a couple of quality additions. Unfortunately we cant get those additions.

We are much more solid now, gone are the drubbings of 4's and 5's from earlier in the season. Much more consistent. Just lacking a bit of quality.

We have played a lot better in the last 5 games, we lack a little bit of quality and the confidence to score. We have created probably more chances than our opponents in those games but do not have the3 confidence to have a go

However Furlong is still our weakest link, at least Livermore and Sawyers are not being called upon, just don't start Phillps and we may start to get on the front foot :(

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2021, 07:45:19 PM »
We weren't awful at all.

We were a lot better than when they beat us 5 at the Hawthorns. People are reacting to the result rather than the overall display.

I’d somewhat agree. We were not as bad as we have been in many games this season but palace were poor too. Had we won 1-0 I think people would be saying in was a decent performance.

Judging results rather than displays can be fine in the short term and we have been in a where short term results matter more than anything for a few months.  However ultimately over time they seem to align.

We still aren’t good enough but we have shown we could have been more competitive over the season, and given ourselves a better chance with some wiser management, both in the dugout and in the boardroom.  We have at least stopped conceding quite as many glorious chances as we were.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #329 on: March 13, 2021, 08:05:03 PM »
Awful performance.

Why only 2 subs? Kanu on for Pierera? Not using Robinson/Diangana?

Then hanging Diagne out to dry in his post match interview.  Classy.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2021, 09:00:18 PM »
Ok we needed a more pragmatic approach to defending, and whilst to some extent we have improved in that area. Although in all honesty that has largely been down to a purple patch from SJ, and some good saves, and a one man midfield called Yokuslu,  but we do look a little more capable at the back now. But why persist with playing forward players in positions others are better at? AMN better wide, MP better central. Why play them other way round? Just to pander to one player's preference? or try to assert his authority over a star performer here before he came? or both. Why bring on HRK at any time except for the last ten if we are 3 up i.e. never. And why hang individual players out to dry on a regular basis in your post match interviews, and then wonder why they don't have the confidence to take chances.

Go now Sam - you have failed and we are in a worse position personnel-wise than before you rocked up here. The players with premier league goals to their name for us in the early season have been sidelined or asked to play an unfamiliar and unsupported role, and are now devoid of any confidence they had. Just do the decent thing and push off. Give us time to prepare for the Championship and arrange for replacements for the short term plaster you stuck on a wound that needed sutures. just go and take your miserable, cheerless style of football with you.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2021, 09:45:17 PM »
Wodenson said this  "we are in a worse position personnel-wise than before you rocked up here". in relation to Allardyce, and its 110% correct. In respect to next season, he has succeeded in alienating & under-mining our promotion winning players and allied to this he will be fully aware that we have a lot of players out of contract, the loanees will be offski, in short he will leave us in absolute dis-array at the end of this season.
Is he capable of a complete rebuild on limited resource with our backroom? In fact finding anyone capable of sorting this mess out will be a HUGE challenge.
Interesting summer !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »
Wodenson said this  "we are in a worse position personnel-wise than before you rocked up here". in relation to Allardyce, and its 110% correct. In respect to next season, he has succeeded in alienating & under-mining our promotion winning players and allied to this he will be fully aware that we have a lot of players out of contract, the loanees will be offski, in short he will leave us in absolute dis-array at the end of this season.
Is he capable of a complete rebuild on limited resource with our backroom? In fact finding anyone capable of sorting this mess out will be a HUGE challenge.
Interesting summer !

I don't think he will.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:13 PM »
I don't think he will.

I didnt say he'll leave. I did say, he'll leave us in disarray! ( which you well realise  8)
I hope he leaves, but have no insight into what he / club thinks.
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2021, 09:50:40 PM »
I didnt say he'll leave. I did say, he'll leave us in disarray! ( which you well realise  8)
I hope he leaves, but have no insight into what he / club thinks.

My point was, he can't leave us in disarray if he doesn't leave...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2021, 09:53:25 PM »
My point was, he can't leave us in disarray if he doesn't leave...

Well, we'll differ on that one.  IMO,  if Sam Stays or goes, will be in disarray at the end of this season
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
Well, we'll differ on that one.  IMO,  if Sam Stays or goes, will be in disarray at the end of this season

True of whoever was in charge end of this season/start of next though. They have got a right mess to cleanup after the awful rebuild under Dowling and Slav.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2021, 10:08:07 PM »
True of whoever was in charge end of this season/start of next though. They have got a right mess to cleanup after the awful rebuild under Dowling and Slav.

100%, as you know I blame Dowling far, far more than Slav, (who was a victim of his own premature success IN MY OPINION). I can almost excuse Dowling because the amount of cash available was insufficient, but Dowling ball5ed up with deals like Hegazi, Cipre, Grant (again IMO) and hence didnt help himself.

Plus, dont start me on Dowling awarding contracts / extensions to has beens and players past their prime.
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #338 on: March 13, 2021, 10:27:17 PM »
100%, as you know I blame Dowling far, far more than Slav, (who was a victim of his own premature success IN MY OPINION). I can almost excuse Dowling because the amount of cash available was insufficient, but Dowling ball5ed up with deals like Hegazi, Cipre, Grant (again IMO) and hence didnt help himself.

Plus, dont start me on Dowling awarding contracts / extensions to has beens and players past their prime.

I agree it wasnt purely one or the other, as we now know the dynamic between them was wrong wrong wrong. Slav got his ticket which i understand but i cant work out why Dowling hasnt got his yet?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #339 on: March 13, 2021, 10:54:46 PM »
Here is the Torture on MOTD just seen Gallagher's shot well Scuff and it was blatant handball from Furlong.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2021, 11:01:37 PM »
I actually ended up turning off MOTD before they analysed it god Albion are killing my love for the game at the moment
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2021, 01:31:36 AM »
The good thing about this is it is over and I have no good reason to watch another Palace game this season. I have precious little reason to watch us either other than out of morbid curiosity. Watched Allardyce and Hodgson troop off the pitch they look older and more careworn than their teams and you wouldn't have thought that possible. For the love of everything holy just retire.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: March 14, 2021, 01:33:24 AM »
Second game in a row that was winnable and despite not being that good we never went for it. Periera was pants then second half moved into middle he was more involved then hooked. Taking him off and bringing on HRK migjt as well blown the final whistle.

Not using diangana or Robinson. Cant be worse options than Phillips. Manager tactics and subs today and v newcastle we rubbish. Yes furlong being stupid has cost us a point but a point was no good to us.

Time to get rid of the DOF and the manager and start planning for a championship and another promotion push.
O Albion we love you

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #343 on: March 14, 2021, 02:53:33 PM »
Second game in a row that was winnable and despite not being that good we never went for it. Periera was pants then second half moved into middle he was more involved then hooked. Taking him off and bringing on HRK migjt as well blown the final whistle.

Not using diangana or Robinson. Cant be worse options than Phillips. Manager tactics and subs today and v newcastle we rubbish. Yes furlong being stupid has cost us a point but a point was no good to us.

Time to get rid of the DOF and the manager and start planning for a championship and another promotion push.
Bringing Kanu on for anyone is just unforgiveable, let alone Pereira. Has he ever come on when we were losing and changed a game? Seriously? EVER!
Allardyce is just proving everyone right, when it comes to defence he is a genius but, when it comes to attack he is clueless. It's just not in his DNA to take a chance, even when victory is the only option, he can't take the handbrake off.
If Robinson, Diangana or Grant had come on, we could have lost defensive stability and lost by 2 or 3 and it's just built in to him not to do that, even though it matters not now how many we lose by, we have to try and win!
Will get by in the Champ, definitely top 6, but may not win enough for top 2.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #344 on: March 14, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
Thought we were equal to Palace in most aspects . The difference being we made an individual defensive mistake and they didn’t . Plenty of crosses today from both sides but once again no end product .

When your goal scoring strategy is based almost exclusively on knocking in crosses, it's sort of essential that your Centre Forward is able to head them in.  Just like against Brighton, Diagne didn't win a single header yesterday.  The crosses came in but his positioning is poor and you have to question his judgement of flight.  He's reasonably good with his feet but that's not what he was hired for.  You know that stuff that worked in the 20th century: get the ball into the box, bully the defender, time your leap, knock it in with yeah 'ead.    OK but no cigar - we won't miss him.

Pereira was poor yesterday but as noted when the gum chewing saviour took charge, he was never going to thrive in a BS team.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:23:32 PM by NJS »
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #345 on: March 14, 2021, 04:22:57 PM »
I'd love for Dowling and Allardyce to be gone over these next three weeks and some forward planning for next season, but who is able/ has the nous to pull the trigger?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music