Morrison
0 (0%)
Vela
3 (7.5%)
Reid
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: February 28, 2011, 06:09:37 PM

Author Topic: 20 Feb 2010 Albion 1 Wolves 1  (Read 213923 times)

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

Re: VELA
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
Boing Boing - true poacher!!!

Did more in 5 minutes than Fortune's whole game! What a legend!
I liked his goal and I think the lad could do well. But a "legend"? Do me a favour!
Remember the past - learn from it

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
True Jsam but remember this was a local derby which means all the normality of "normal" footballing rules goes out the window.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: VELA
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
Haha Jsam I got a little too emotional, not a legend but brilliant for today! Was great when it went in, they'll never beat us at the Hawthorns!

robertmyatt

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
Well, Roy made some good substitutions which paid dividends in the end and we fully deserved a point.

I would Stoke away, I revert back to 4-2-3-1 (if Mulumbu is fit) and drop Fortuné. He was pathetic today but maybe the occasion got to him. Stoke will batter us with long balls etc and we need Scharner in the box for those, so I don't think he is droppable & Mulumbu will break up play as always.

My throat is killing me at the moment after screaming and running around my living room but it was worth it. The draw is great but denying Wolves the 3 points was even more important! Just a pity that we have to play the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool etc in the new few weeks and they have easier games.

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
True Jsam but remember this was a local derby which means all the normality of "normal" footballing rules goes out the window.
yes, I know and as I said earlier, I'm happy we didn't get turned over. But you can't put a derby game in isolation when you're playing in the context of a whole season. We needed to win today - not just to beat the team down the road - but to get three points against a side we should beat.
Remember the past - learn from it

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
Thought Wolves were the better organised team for most of the match and you couldn't have argued if they'd actually won.  We seem to have gone more long ball first half which meant we kept losing possession. In so doing we never had any control in midfield.

I would think Roy's a 4-4-2 man, but sorry, if that means we've got to include Fortune, then I'd rather go 4-5-1. I've seen tortoises that can turn more quickly on the ball. At top level you really have to be sharper.

The main plus was Vela, and I would include him in the next starting line up, perhaps in a 4-4-2. The guy is quick , has good control and has good technical skills. I know he's not a classic target man, but what good is that if he's too slow to catch a cold.

I'm  not sure if JT and Dorrans were injured, but normally you wouldn't expect two of our most dangerous players to be substituted. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
I´m over the moon. A late, late equaliser against the scum from dingleshire...what´s there not to be happy about. Live the moment guys..that´s what footie is all about. Onwards and pubwards... ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggie-boy-ethan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #407 on: February 20, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »
After the first 60 minutes I was convinced the dingles would go and sneak a 2nd at another set-piece and we'd be here with 50% of us (me included) dooming us to relegation. And if Hodgson hasn't seen how important Vela could be to us in trying to stay up after today I'm not sure he ever will. Vela needs to play, for all Fortune's efforts he just doesn't score. We can't keep banking on someone to chip in with assisting Odemwingie, we need someone to score some vital goals and I just can't see him doing that unless it bounces in off his backside!

Defensively we looked more comfortable, Tamas is visibly down on confidence but on the whole I was fairly pleased (bar the set piece dilemma), although it was "only" Wolves. I still fear the worst for both us and the dingles, but hopefully better performances will come with time

It's going to be a scrap either way, and I think we have to show more fight in every fixture until the end of the season, but who knows that late equaliser might be enough to lift the dressing room and get them believing again...

bubz

Delighted but...
« Reply #408 on: February 20, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
Where the f*ck was the passion out on the pitch today? Absolutely pathetic, our players didn't show half the passion that the Wolves players did, they were well organised and were first to every ball for the majority of the match. I'm not trying to be negative here but if anyone defends that performance then they are a joke, if we don't improve we are certainties for relegation come May.

kevan49

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »
Yes I know we weren't at the races but with any amount of luck we might well have turned them over. Match stats don't tell you everything but we had 19 shots to their 6 and 12 corners to their one; surely this shows that we must have been pressing and looking more like scoring than they were.

Problem is I'm not sure if we've got the time to get the balance of the team right, especially given the fixtures that are coming up. RH will certainly need all of his experience and lots of luck to keep us in with a shout. 

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
We can still do it , we have tough fixtures on paper though
Stoke -  tough were due a win over the buggers but i would take a point
Birmingham- again similar to stoke but dont score many
Arsenal-  if there still in europe they may players so.....

I reckon we will get 2 points form the next  3 , 30 points - i reckon were beat everton at home and maybe newcastle away , and i fancy us to do liverpool Roy will want revenge on the scousers 39 points i reckon
BOING BOING

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
Didn't think we deserved anything but more than happy with a point.

Fortune was poor but not on his own, Odenwingie was just as bad and needs a rocket up his backside, seems to be giving the impression of a bit of a sulk for some reason. Brunt not himself and no the captain out there we needed.

Not seen their goal again, cracking finish but should Myhill have been closer to his line ? Jara needed help from the bloke in front but didn't get it. Tamas yet again an accident waiting to happen and hos pathetic attempted backheader almost cost us a second.

Hopefully Hodgson will have seen enough today to sort a few out and kick a few backsides.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
Awful performance today.  Wolves bossed the midfield 1st half and pretty much allowed us into the game 2nd half but I really didnt think we were good enough open them up.  When the equaliser came it was ultimate relief rather than ecstacy.

They did their homework and stopped Thomas playing by doubling up on him with Zubar and Foley.  We were so poor going forward we resorted to hoofing it and Berra and Stearman gobbled everything up.

I thought Wolves wanted it more than we did and we showed none.  That was the most gutless derby day performance against them that I can recall.

Very little to be happy about tonight for me apart from the fact we didnt lose.

albiongrace

• Junior Baggie

Re: Trouble
« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
Just had a right row with a dingle on fb told them some home truths about smashin there own town up.
They smashed the tram up in wednesbury before match threw flares into east stand, they are just the scum of the premier league if not the whole of the football league, i'm embarrassed to say that i live in wolverhampton.
baggie in dingle-land
always 5hit on the old gold and black!
boing boing!

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
Wasn't as bad as some people make out I think, prepare to let teams control possession, that's how Hodgson plays against plenty of sides. All Wolves did today was have a lot of possession without ever going anywhere like we usually do. The defence actually played ok, no complaints about the goal really, was a good strike, and hit first time, and the only other chance they had was Jarvis' which came about purely due to Tamas rather than anything else.

Then going forward both strikers were poor, Vela however looked very bright and had great movement, he would have been in had Brunt not fluffed a simple pass and knocked it out of play. Speaking of which it won't happen but Brunt is clearly burdened as captain.

Hardly a great performance but really not as bad as people make out. First time we've conceded less than 2 for 11 games, and for once I don't think we can really moan about it (aside from Tamas needlessly giving the free kick away).

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »
I heard about the flares - typical Dingles.

Still haven't beat us at The Hawthorns for 15 years (since 1996)  8)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
Feels like a win but I'm very relieved to walk away with a point.

Our first half performance was gutless and we really deserved to be 1-0 down. If anything If Wolves had gotten a second I think it could of been curtains for us and curtains for our premier league status.

As a whole the back four did well, good interception from Tamas late on which almost became an own goal. I think we missed Mulumbu's energy in the centre.

Second half Wolves were hanging on defensively, they threw their bodies on the line and credit to them.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wobbs68

• Junior Baggie

Re: Delighted but...
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
Coming away from the game I immediately thought how poor we were but looking at the stats it shows how many chances we did create.  Wolves may have passed it around in the first half but mainly in their own half and they didnt realy look threatening at all.  The quality was poor but we did create chances, unfortunately MAF was at the end of most.
At least we have learned MAF isnt good enough for the prem, Sharner isnt a midfielder and  Jara isnt a right back.  Brunt has lost the passion and Tamas has lost the plot.  He's gone from a solid dependable defender to one that looks incappable of doing the basics.  We need to revert to 4 5 1 as our midfiled isnt strong enough for 4 in this league.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »
Never have I seen a Wolves team come the the Hawthorns and get given as much possession and respect.  Bang out of order IMO.

ian m

• Baby Baggie

Re: Delighted but...
« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
Feels like if Pete had been on the left and Vela on the right from kickoff it would've ended WBA 4 - 1 Wolves. Not sure what Fortune was doing out there.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #420 on: February 20, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
Just got back - delighted with the late goal.

But that was a poor poor display. We need to drastically improve if we have any hope of staying up.

Too defensive in midfield at home

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #421 on: February 20, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »
Never have I seen a Wolves team come the the Hawthorns and get given as much possession and respect.  Bang out of order IMO.

You say that but what did they create with that possession? They didn't carve a single chance out. We did to them what teams do to us. They scored a very good goal which makes it look bad on us, but had we kept a clean sheet out of it no one would have complained.

Aside from the goal the only chance they had was Jarvis due to Tamas being rubbish. I could understand if they were carving us open but defensively we played fine that way.

11 shots to their 2 on target. Why are people complaining about the possession exactly? If you try and get up in peoples faces its generally far easier to cut through teams. A lot of today was tactical discipline and for the first time in a long while we looked ok in defence.

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #423 on: February 20, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »
dogheads throwing flares into the millenium corner, hope they got what they deserved

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #424 on: February 20, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
Wouldn't believe talksport, they do anything to get a reaction and there will be all sorts of rumours going around after a derby.