Author Topic: 23 Aug 2015 Albion 2 Chelsea 3  (Read 64084 times)

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: August 23, 2015, 03:29:06 PM »
Disappointed to not get something from the game but really pleased with the performance.  Morrison (despite the penalty miss) was brilliant and McManaman was outstanding.  Rondon worked hard and I'm looking forward to seeing him against the lesser teams.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #301 on: August 23, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »
Mcmanaman easily MOTM for me. Everything positive went through him.

Unlucky in the end after a shocking first half of defending. Why do we have our best CB and 8 million pound man on the bench? I'm sorry but Gmac and Olsson are past it!!!

Encouraging signs from Rondon, i think he'll be a good player for us but he needs more support.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2015, 03:30:27 PM »
We deserved a point, I felt. But you can't give sides like Chelsea a two goal start.

Some good signs - Rondon looked fairly sharp and I think he'll only grow as the season progresses, particularly if Berahino is on his bike finally.

All I can hope is our season starts next week.
Remember the past - learn from it

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Obviously TP doesn't rate Chester...so that leaves us with a Centre back playing fullback and a midfielder playing left back and 2 centre backs past their best...sounds familiar...oh yes that's how we finished last season and TP stated that that was where we needed strengthening first !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »
Thought we played well.

Always going to be hard against Chelsea.

Morrison, McManaman were excellent, poor penalty though from Morrison.

London looks a decent player but it will take him a while to get into the teams way of playing and how best to work with him although he seemed to Link up well with McManaman.

Thought Pedro looked excellent for them on his debut, really impressed me with his attitude on and off the ball, chased a lot stuff down and harried players. Utd have missed out on him for me
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

wabooz

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #305 on: August 23, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »
Despite some defensive frailty there were some real positives, take this performance forward and I'll be happy.

Also hope Chester et al. get to grips with the system and slot in, think they will in time. Pulis spoke in the interview Sky did about how Lambert didn't quite get the system they were using on opening day

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #306 on: August 23, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
Well played lads, much more encouraging. Mcmanaman and Serge to start next game for me. Crying out for a left back. Unlucky. On the right tracks though.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #307 on: August 23, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »
Much better than in the first 2 games, but I'm disappointed we didn't get at them more after we pulled it back to 3-2. It would have been good to see the excellent McManaman and Gnabry on together and surely it needed to be Anichebe on for Morrison and not Gardner?

Fletcher was much more involved in the second half (helped no doubt by Chelsea being one short in midfield after the sending off) and I thought Rondon had an good full debut, despite having little support much of the time. Well done to Morrison too for showing good character after missing the penalty.

To those saying we don't need any more centre-backs, though, a pairing of McAuley and Olsson is only going to see us in relegation trouble all season. I don't think either of them should be starting.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #308 on: August 23, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
If he can bring in 2 decent centre halves , Phillips and a decent midfielder we will be ok . If .

macc_baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #309 on: August 23, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
Paid the price for some slack defending in the first half.

However going forward we looked far better than in the first two weeks.

Mcmanaman was superb and Rondon put himself about well. Our lack of pace at the back cost us today.

Onwards and Upwards

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #310 on: August 23, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »
A few positives today at last. We set up better formation wise and at least showed some intent on taking the game to them. Passing much improved but we still need some quality in the middle. Mcmanaman, Rondon and Morrision all very good today. It's funny how we've been saying for a while how poor we've been midfield wise and OK at the back yet today it is the opposite. McAuley and Olsson are past it for me. They get turned far too easily.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #311 on: August 23, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »
The players are too slow.
Gnarbry was in good positions to pass, but elected to go for goal even though others were begging for the ball.
He is too greedy.
Somebody tell him it is a TEAM game

To be fair we don't know what tactics he was sent on with.  We weren't getting any shots in so for all we know Pulis said to go on and put some attempts in. 

I thought we played really well throughout and I'm not that worried about the season.  Rondon looked immense, was like Brown, Anichibi and Lambert rolled into one.  Like to see him get some chances where he's not got his back to the goal though.  He really put a shift in, held the ball up really well and Chelsea struggled against him 11v11. 

Mcmanaman was superb.  Mcclean was terrible, as was Dawson.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #312 on: August 23, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
Can't really grumble with the result. The difference is that Chelsea faster, and more clinical and ACCURATE with their passing.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #313 on: August 23, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »
First half we were dreadful, olsson and gmac shouldn't be the centre back pairing in 2015 in the premier league, Chester should be starting and possibly lescott, would like to see us bring in another full back.

Second half, we played well, the sending off probably let us play better but yeah we gave them a go.

Rondon looks ace, would love to see saido and Rondon but doubt that will happen, when we sell saido we need another goalscorer.
Mcmanaman looked good, can't believe gardener plays instead of him, McLean looks rubbish though.

Yacob has to play every game, controls the midfield
Baggie Terra

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
If he can bring in 2 decent centre halves , Phillips and a decent midfielder we will be ok . If .
So if we just replace a third of our team?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #315 on: August 23, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
Can't really grumble with the result. The difference is that Chelsea faster, and more clinical and ACCURATE with their passing.
Most definitely.
Our players looked up and still couldn't pass.

Brombo97

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #316 on: August 23, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Anyone think Lambert looked ponderous and disinterested when he came on?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #317 on: August 23, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
And Fletcher.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #318 on: August 23, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
He looked ponderous but then he hasn't played for 18months.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »
Why did TP take off McManaman for Gnabry in fact Lambert did nothing it would have been better to have bought on Gnabry instead of Lambert. And as for Gardner ar the end for Morrison that seemed ludicrous to me.

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #320 on: August 23, 2015, 03:39:57 PM »

He didn't do much today to be fair but I still think he can score 10 goals if we play him, problem is him and Rondon seem the same player so not sure you can play both together
Baggie Terra

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2015, 03:40:20 PM »
Ten times better than what i thought still things to work on sure but we played well and i can see where Pulis is trying to take us which is the main thing.

Quick wingers both mcclean and macca i thought played well and when they got reduced to ten players we seriously lacked width once mcclean went off.

Rondon looks lively needs a goal for sure but im happy from what i have seen we need to get mozza up to support him and take the play forward from there.

Negatives maybe touch, Passing and creativity sounds a lot and this is where fans are split but its not a necessary under Pulis for staying in this league.

Even when Chelsea lost a player they looked as though they had more than us i counted four players on hazard and he just took the pee, Exceptional player.

All in all very pleased and no doubt more to happen this week within the club, They gave effort and we showed intent and thats all i ask to walk away a proud fan.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »
Impressed by Rondon, McManaman had a great game.

Rubbish Pen by Mozza, but then he scores two, so fair enough.

Defence is a mess, why spend £5m (upfront) for Chester, only to not play him? Where is Saido when TP and JP stated he wasn't going anywhere? We need a left winger and to sort the defence out one way or another.

Terrific ball by Brunt (yet again) that lead to Terry being sent off.

Nice to get a couple of goals under our belt, I still think we'll be fine. It'll just be ugly.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »
Why did TP take off McManaman for Gnabry in fact Lambert did nothing it would have been better to have bought on Gnabry instead of Lambert. And as for Gardner ar the end for Morrison that seemed ludicrous to me.

Macca doesn't last 90 minutes, that's why.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »
Poor defending but a lot more positive. TP's priority is to sort out the defence. Silly mistakes cost us today.