Author Topic: 21 Mar 2015 Man City 3 Albion 0  (Read 71609 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »
Positives:
Myhill looked decent
We still look good at attacking a set piece (Saido should have scored)
It was only 3-0, it should have been more and could have finished about 8-0
The teams below us all lost today (bar Palace who were never really a relegation threat)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #276 on: March 21, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
Im trying not to knock Pulis as he has done well so far, but why after 7 years of terrible away performances does he carry on trying to play like it when it has proved it doesn't work.

Whether it was City away or Leicester away we would have started the same!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #277 on: March 21, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
We played the champions of England with 10 men for 88 and a half minutes and came away with a 3-0 defeat.

Not sure what anyone expected otherwise. Game was ruined by a poor referee who even cocked up the sending off which if anything was a slight foul nothing more. To criticise anyone from that point onwards is pointless. Not one player gave up today and a combination of excellent defending, Myhill in goal and poor finishing kept the score down.

Yes Lescott at left back was a poor choice to go with and we may have got battered anyhow, we'll never know now.

It was obvious with 10 men we were going to spend the vast majority of the game chasing shadows.

Second half we had a bit of a go at them and if the combination of Olsson and Sess had managed to put the ball in the net which seemed easier to do than not then the crowd would have got on their backs and who knows.

Seen much worse performances from 11 men against poorer teams than City.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
We played the champions of England with 10 men for 88 and a half minutes and came away with a 3-0 defeat.

Not sure what anyone expected otherwise. Game was ruined by a poor referee who even cocked up the sending off which if anything was a slight foul nothing more. To criticise anyone from that point onwards is pointless. Not one player gave up today and a combination of excellent defending, Myhill in goal and poor finishing kept the score down.

Yes Lescott at left back was a poor choice to go with and we may have got battered anyhow, we'll never know now.

It was obvious with 10 men we were going to spend the vast majority of the game chasing shadows.

Second half we had a bit of a go at them and if the combination of Olsson and Sess had managed to put the ball in the net which seemed easier to do than not then the crowd would have got on their backs and who knows.

Not like Oldbury to post something sensible!  ;D
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »

Amen to that. We don't know how the game would have progressed without the sending off. I do think we have been pretty poor away and it needs to be worked on but I can't stand the moaning we get on here whenever we lose. Pulis is doing a fabulous job. BOING BOING and up the Baggies.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »
Not like Oldbury to post something sensible!  ;D

Must have had a knock to the head  :D

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #281 on: March 21, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »
Amen to that. We don't know how the game would have progressed without the sending off. I do think we have been pretty poor away and it needs to be worked on but I can't stand the moaning we get on here whenever we lose. Pulis is doing a fabulous job. BOING BOING and up the Baggies.

Agreed, given the level of moaning today I thought I was on a woman's only forum!

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
10 men against man city after 89 seconds= focus on the next game.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »
Inclined to agree with Oldbury, although we didn't do ourselves any favours with a substandard defensive performance today.

Mistakes made for all three goals but we still deserved to score which is not bad for a team who show no attacking intent away from home  :o

We hadn't beaten the current PL champions in 9 attempts before today so to set up any differently would have been suicidal against a team who will probably beat us 9 out of 10 times anyway.

Not sure what we else we could have done with ten men against a team that cost 5-6 times the amount it took to assemble our squad, and a squad that has been battling relegation for too long.
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
Sorry if only Stepford wife-like views are allowed by those posting sarcastic comments about anyone who dares to be critical, but (assuming the stat is correct) allowing more than 40 shots on your goal, even with 10 men, is abysmal. Our approach to away games means that we might as well just forfeit the points and not bother travelling, which will save both the club and fans money.

People are writing on here as if Man City are unbeatable and little old Albion are just there to make up the numbers, just being honoured to be on the same pitch as them. They lost to Burnley last weekend and would have been despondent at being knocked out of the Champions League mid-week, but you could tell from the team selection that we were setting our stall out for another day of total negativity, just aiming to keep the score down. Little wonder that people are making desperate challenges in the second minute, because they know that, if we concede in an away game, we'll almost certainly lose.

And why 2 left-backs on the bench, particularly as there wasn't one on the pitch!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »
Sorry if only Stepford wife-like views are allowed by those posting sarcastic comments about anyone who dares to be critical, but (assuming the stat is correct) allowing more than 40 shots on your goal, even with 10 men, is abysmal. Our approach to away games means that we might as well just forfeit the points and not bother travelling, which will save both the club and fans money.

People are writing on here as if Man City are unbeatable and little old Albion are just there to make up the numbers, just being honoured to be on the same pitch as them. They lost to Burnley last weekend and would have been despondent at being knocked out of the Champions League mid-week, but you could tell from the team selection that we were setting our stall out for another day of total negativity, just aiming to keep the score down. Little wonder that people are making desperate challenges in the second minute, because they know that, if we concede in an away game, we'll almost certainly lose.

And why 2 left-backs on the bench, particularly as there wasn't one on the pitch!

I think any team going down to 10 men that early in a game at the Etihad will be under pressure for the rest of the game. I didn't think it was a desperate challenge either, i didn't even think it was a foul.

Feel free to criticise, not seen anyone say you can't, for me I don't see the point today, everyone on that pitch worked their knackers off and we were just not good enough especially with 10 men.

All about opinions.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »
Not sure what you mean by forfeiting the points as we have picked up 3 draws under Pulis?

By your reckoning Burnley would have been like a doubled dicked canine after last week yet they lost away to Southampton today (the same Southampton that could not score against or beat us this season)!

Leicester took the game to Spurs yet again came away with nothing but plaudits, maybe they should concentrate on tightening up at the back and become harder to beat?

People can be as critical as they like but it is also important to get the whole picture in perspective - how do you think supporters of Everton, Hull, Villa, Sunderland, Burnley, QPR and Leicester feel this evening - would you like to swap places with any of them?
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »

i have too admit your post makes a lot of sense to me today.

I see no point in 2 left backs on the bench when we cant even play one on the pitch. seems ridiculous too me especially when we know that not one of those defenders on the pitch today are any good at left back

it was a negative team and I'm not happy about it. i saw the team and decided not too even watch the game, instead i went out to Newquay and enjoyed a day on the beach with my daughter and some lunch in town...heard the score and and didn't bat an eye lid, expected no less with the team selected

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #288 on: March 21, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
I can see both sides of the argument over whether it was poor in parts or just a damage limitation exercise and a bit of a forfeited game. The defensive mistakes leading to the goals we conceded were poor to say the very least, schoolboy errors and unacceptable really against any opposition. If we had made those mistakes against the likes of Leicester,QPR,Burnley, etc, we would have still been likely to have been punished which is worrying. That said, this match was always going to have the air of just turn up, get it out the way and sacrifice the 3 points, without over exerting ourselves or picking up any injuries. That isn't necessarily a bad thing apart from obviously a bit soul destroying for those few who paid the scandalous ticket price and travelled up there. This unfortunately is what this league is all about for many clubs. It certainly explains the general apathy and lack of interest in most games nowadays, even amongst those attending.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #289 on: March 21, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »
The sending off gives Pulis an easy ride for what was another pretty shambolic away day.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2015, 07:36:48 PM »
As much as if it wasnt for Myhill we would have been out of sight, we also missed a cracking chance to pull it back to 2-1 before they scored their third.

I didnt think we were that bad today it could have been much much worse having to play all the game with 10 men.

Pulis isnt perfect but alot of the criticism hes getting about away selection is a mirror of what we used to say about Hodgson when we played our home games and we didnt do too badly under him.

Some fans need to look at the table and realise we are sitting in 13th place which if thats where we finished is some achievement for most of the clubs at our level.

How many would have taken anywhere between 10th and 15th at this stage of the season when Irvine was appointed in June.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: March 21, 2015, 07:49:32 PM »
The sending off gives Pulis an easy ride for what was another pretty shambolic away day.

Why does it?

Those who want to be critical will do so irrespective of the sending off.

In general fans will either like or dislike Pulis, same goes for every manager.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »
I presume the red card for McAuley will now be rescinded and Dawson will escape punishment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:19:10 PM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #293 on: March 21, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
I believe you may be right, BP.
Perhaps the ref has done us a favour.  :o ;D

Pelsall_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #294 on: March 21, 2015, 08:05:50 PM »
As others have said, it's not just Pulis who sets us up like this at the Etihad. Ever since City started swimming in oil money from Abu Dhabi back in 2008, we've gone there and stuck 10 men behind the ball.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #295 on: March 21, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
As others have said, it's not just Pulis who sets us up like this at the Etihad. Ever since City started swimming in oil money from Abu Dhabi back in 2008, we've gone there and stuck 10 men behind the ball.

Us and virtually every other club. Seen how Chelsea have set up there the last two years?

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #296 on: March 21, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
In my eyes.......lets get this out of the way first. Tony Pulis has come in, and saved us from relegation. Probably no other manager would have managed this. He has come in, stamped his authority on the squad, filled us all with hope with the prolonged cup-run, and in general, the club is in a different place to where it was at Christmas.  And we all, and i mean, ALL, deep down appreciate that.

But ( there is always a but ),  are we happy to try and survive on competing in only 50% of games. We dont even try to win away games. What is that about ? Sport is supposed to be about competing.  We are trying to survive with one hand tied behind our backs.  As someone said earlier,  the sending off mattered not a jot today. It was a pooh away team selection as usual, designed to contain, not compete. 
We've done this against the bottom teams ( Burnley, Everton etc. ) as well as the top teams.
What is the point ?  Surely be to Christ, we can at least try to resemble some form of an attacking unit away from home.
If this carries on, we might as well concede all the away games, and concentrate on garnering enough points from home games in order to stay up...and also pray we get all home draws in cup competitions.
I love going to away games, and but i cant stomach much more of these away-day shennanigans.
Please PLEASE Mr Pulis - can we not at least attempt to compete away from home ?

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #297 on: March 21, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
Us and virtually every other club. Seen how Chelsea have set up there the last two years?

Indeed, Stoke set up the same way and got a lucky 1-0 win on the break. (With 11 men!)  ;)

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »

The problem is , I can see similar scenarios when we go to Arsenal, and Man U, and Newcastle. Potentially no points from any more away games. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2015, 11:07:09 PM »
We were setup for a draw, bigger and more winnable games for us to come. Gameplan after the first two minutes would have been no injuries and no more cards.

Disappointing for the fans who travelled but fact of modern day football.

Pullis was brought in to keep us up by whatever means. He has done and is doing a good job with the players at his disposal.

Of note for me Myhill played well and Olson looked mid championship level.