1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446668 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #3475 on: June 19, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »
If we are prepared to pay Barnsley £2m compensation for their manager then why don’t we use that money as bait to persuade Big Sam to change his mind and return? I have more confidence in Sam persuading the owners to release sufficient funds to rebuild a title chasing team than the relatively inexperienced Ismael would.

Sadly that ship has sailed.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3476 on: June 19, 2021, 08:27:16 PM »
Can't see Sawyers or Liver more in a high press system. Sawyers is so laid back he's almost horizontal. We need 2 young and hungry central midfielders in a high press system.

If it means we move Sawyers on i'd be happy with that.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3477 on: June 19, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »
I completely agree but if you are looking purely at players who can high press for 90 minutes week in week out your market is slimmed down a lot......

His teams don't press for ninety minutes. They press in spells which means they can press at a higher intensity when they do press.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Vienna Baggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3478 on: June 19, 2021, 09:28:08 PM »
Vienna
As someone who is familar with the Austrian football scene, I presume you are not saying he was a better manager than Oliver Glasner? If you are, that's a big statement, because as you know, Glasner has just got Wolfsburg to third in the German Bundesliga and into the Champions League. (In fact he was one of those I had down, somewhat optimistically, for the WBA job).
Also, in contrast, when Ismael was in charge at Wolfsburg 2016-17,  they struggled,  and he only lasted 4 months, although Wolfsburg seem to get through managers faster than most.

Not at all, sorry if it came across like that. Glasner is the one who revived the club, brought them back to the top flight and into the Europa qualifiers. He put in place the 3-4-3 with the high press. Ismael built on that with some minor tweaks and pushed on a bit, until they imploded after the Corona break. But LASK fans certainly prefer Ismael to Thalhammer who replaced him.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 08:13:32 AM by Vienna Baggie »
💚🤍 Rapid Wien und WBA! 💙🤍

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3479 on: June 19, 2021, 09:42:32 PM »
If we are prepared to pay Barnsley £2m compensation for their manager then why don’t we use that money as bait to persuade Big Sam to change his mind and return?
He never had any intention whatsoever of managing at this level - he lied to both the fans and the media. That makes him disingenous and untrustworthy in my book. The most interesting question is when the club knew?

Also his win percentage was 15%, the second worst in the club's entire history (unless you count Nobby Stiles), so I don't know why anyone wants him back.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:06:38 PM by WorcsWBA »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3480 on: June 19, 2021, 11:00:44 PM »
Sadly that ship has sailed.
Too right! To the Costa Blanca. Though most likely by plane. ☺️
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3481 on: June 19, 2021, 11:16:15 PM »
He never had any intention whatsoever of managing at this level - he lied to both the fans and the media. That makes him disingenous and untrustworthy in my book. The most interesting question is when the club knew?

Also his win percentage was 15%, the second worst in the club's entire history (unless you count Nobby Stiles), so I don't know why anyone wants him back.

Win % is not relevant. His tenure was solely in a higher division that we won't even be in next season

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3482 on: June 19, 2021, 11:27:12 PM »
Win % is not relevant. His tenure was solely in a higher division that we won't even be in next season
Indeed we're not, which is in no small way thanks to him! He was brought in to keep us up and failed dismally with just 4 wins in 25 games. Apart from him not wanting to manage in the Championship anyway, his failure shouldn't have been rewarded by him being kept on at the club.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3483 on: June 20, 2021, 12:37:38 AM »
While I might not be entirely comfortable with spending £2m on buying out Ismael's contract,  nothing personal I just think that paying compensation to get a manager is never a great idea but I reluctantly accept it might be necessary this time.  However the notion we should pay the man who did not want the job more money to do the job he didn't want is the height of folly.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3484 on: June 20, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »
As Spike Milligan once said... "Suddenly, nothing happened."  Are we in for another week of going round in circles?

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3485 on: June 20, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
While I might not be entirely comfortable with spending £2m on buying out Ismael's contract,  nothing personal I just think that paying compensation to get a manager is never a great idea but I reluctantly accept it might be necessary this time.  However the notion we should pay the man who did not want the job more money to do the job he didn't want is the height of folly.

Let’s hope that this is a manager (if he joins) that we don’t end of paying compensation to get him and further compensation to get rid of him. I’m not sure we have too many options this time in terms of finding a suitable candidate. I feel positive about this should it happen and look forward to seeing what he can do for us. In the words of Amy  Winehouse - why don’t you come over Valerie!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3486 on: June 20, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »
The way Silvas name has popped up as an alternative suggests we have put a time frame on dealings with Barnsley and possibly given both them and Ismaël a deadline
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3487 on: June 20, 2021, 10:26:46 AM »
Let’s hope that this is a manager (if he joins) that we don’t end of paying compensation to get him and further compensation to get rid of him. I’m not sure we have too many options this time in terms of finding a suitable candidate. I feel positive about this should it happen and look forward to seeing what he can do for us. In the words of Amy  Winehouse - why don’t you come over Valerie!

Unfortunately that is the way it seems to work pay on the way in pay on the way out.

Marco Silva's name cropping up on the thread reminds me of how badly this works. It cost £12m for Everton get him (even after Watford sacked him because of Everton's earlier illegal approach) £6m to pay Allardyce off to clear the way for him and he was sacked less than halfway through his contract which I think they will still be paying until the end of next year. That is £30m for 18 months of Marco Silva who left when they were in the actual relegation zone. They are now looking to replace his successor before the guy that was replaced contract has expired.

The ongoing gardening leave arrangements on Silva's contract mean I take a slightly skeptical view of the link between him and our vacancy.

I am mainly hoping Valerie does indeed come on over. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3488 on: June 20, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »
I for one will be happy to get Ishmael in, a coach who has taken a team from verge of relegation to verge of Premiership on a shoestring budget. For those who were looking for a left field candidate here he is.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3489 on: June 20, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »
I for one will be happy to get Ishmael in, a coach who has taken a team from verge of relegation to verge of Premiership on a shoestring budget. For those who were looking for a left field candidate here he is.
I think you are right. Hopefully a breath of fresh air at The Hawthornes. Nothing ventured and all that I think he’s worth a chance and hope he comes.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3490 on: June 20, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »
Several news outlets reporting that we have agreed compensation with Barnsley.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3491 on: June 20, 2021, 10:52:11 AM »
Several news outlets reporting that we have agreed compensation with Barnsley.
good news now club should back his decisions on in comings and out goings

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3492 on: June 20, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »
Barnsley FC@BarnsleyFC tweeted this this morning....

💬 "We were in the first team and kept this winning mentality and, with these guys, we won trophies..."

@valerien_ismael

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3493 on: June 20, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »
Oh yes I can see us singing that at the first match (which will be an away game by the way, since the Dings open with an away game on 14th meaning our 1st home game is 14th Aug) Why don't you come on over Valerien
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3494 on: June 20, 2021, 01:20:01 PM »
Barnsley FC@BarnsleyFC tweeted this this morning....

💬 "We were in the first team and kept this winning mentality and, with these guys, we won trophies..."

@valerien_ismael

A new interview with him on their website
Is he really leaving?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3495 on: June 20, 2021, 01:34:20 PM »
Apparently it’s part of an interview with something called Grove Street
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3496 on: June 20, 2021, 01:36:38 PM »
Apparently it’s part of an interview with something called Grove Street

I think Grove Street is the name of their match day programme. This interview was published for a game back in December.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3497 on: June 20, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
I think Grove Street is the name of their match day programme. This interview was published for a game back in December.

Ah I see thanks

Strange for them to post that today if he's off

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3498 on: June 20, 2021, 02:03:02 PM »
Several German media sources said Ismael was one of 3 on the shortlist for Werder Bremen job. As it happens, someone else got chosen at the start of the month, but even so, indicates he is on the radar of big clubs such as Bremen. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3499 on: June 20, 2021, 02:11:35 PM »
Struggling or not sure whether to pay compensation for a manager always makes me laugh. The most important non playing role but we are not sure if we want to pay. We throw money away on Zohore or Burke but 2 million for a manager...that’s way to steep 😂