1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441732 times)

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #3400 on: June 18, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »
Yorkshire post are claiming no approach has been made.

That’s because we’re still trying to negotiate the release fee apparently. Typical Albion.

As I said earlier today, people need to not get excited as it may not happen or in typical Albion way take a lot longer than needed.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3401 on: June 18, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »
Didn’t watch much of Barnsley last year bar the 2 playoff games where I thought Swansea looked the better team both legs. Still you can’t argue with the results to get a team that stayed up by the skin of their teeth to the playoffs the next year is impressive. Interested to see he was player / dof at LASK that could tempt him here to go back into that role.

Barnsley are an extremely smart club using the analytics/ money ball system who are hugely punching above their weight, if they have hired him then I’m all for it. Hopefully he brings Mowatt with him.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3402 on: June 18, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »
That’s because we’re still trying to negotiate the release fee apparently. Typical Albion.
Hmmm, it can't be the case that no approach has been made and that's because we're trying to negotiate the release fee. Surely you can't have the latter without the former?

If Ismael has a release clause in his contract and we've decided we want him then we should just pay it; time isn't on our side here. It's also not on Barnsley's side either if they have to replace him, so I can't see negotiations being protracted whatever the outcome turns out to be.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3403 on: June 18, 2021, 04:58:11 PM »
Hmmm, it can't be the case that no approach has been made and that's because we're trying to negotiate the release fee. Surely you can't have the latter without the former?

If Ismael has a release clause in his contract and we've decided we want him then we should just pay it; time isn't on our side here. It's also not on Barnsley's side either if they have to replace him, so I can't see negotiations being protracted whatever the outcome turns out to be.

Agreed, just repeating what’s been said on various Facebook pages and Twitter.

I have no idea what’s happening I just know we don’t do it the easy way. We never have.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3404 on: June 18, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »
Yorkshire post are claiming no approach has been made.

What it actually said was "no formal approach had been made", which I would guess means we're discussing the Barnsley compensation package.
Agreement on that would give us permission to speak to him.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3405 on: June 18, 2021, 05:37:29 PM »

What it actually said was "no formal approach had been made", which I would guess means we're discussing the Barnsley compensation package.
Agreement on that would give us permission to speak to him.
Presumably Ismael also has to make up his mind if he's interested.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3406 on: June 18, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
Presumably Ismael also has to make up his mind if he's interested.

I'd imagine that conversation has already taken place with his representatives.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3407 on: June 18, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »
I'd imagine that conversation has already taken place with his representatives.
But has Ken asked Lai if he's OK with Ismael, given that the latter fell out with the President at Apollon Smyrnis and only managed them for one game?!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3408 on: June 18, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »
The wording of a particular article at some point today had said no formal/official approach had been made but generally when John Percy breaks a story it has legs and the source of this story breaking today was him.

As I’ve said early today - all other stuff is likely nothing more than conjecture.

John Percy stated WBA have moved for Ismael and talks are ongoing while we are willing to pay the £2 million buyout fee.

I will choose to listen to what Percy has said and anything else that comes out…conjecture. That’s the word of the day today.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3409 on: June 18, 2021, 06:09:47 PM »
The wording of a particular article at some point today had said no formal/official approach had been made but generally when John Percy breaks a story it has legs and the source of this story breaking today was him.

As I’ve said early today - all other stuff is likely nothing more than conjecture.

John Percy stated WBA have moved for Ismael and talks are ongoing while we are willing to pay the £2 million buyout fee.

I will choose to listen to what Percy has said and anything else that comes out…conjecture. That’s the word of the day today.

Agreed we generally give no credence to our sourceless local opinion spouters in the press so why would we treat the Yorkshire Post with any more reverence? In Percy we trust.  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3410 on: June 18, 2021, 06:11:10 PM »
Just to put Ismael's Europa League achievements with LASK in perspective, their stadium capacity is just 6000, so I would imagine that we he accomplished there was despite having very meagre resources. LASK had to play their European matches in a different stadium (capacity 14000)!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3411 on: June 18, 2021, 06:14:17 PM »
Given he posted what he did regarding Wilder and Wagner I think the Perce is either pretty damned certain this time; that or he's currently in a very uncomfortable position with everything crossed.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3412 on: June 18, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
Agreed we generally give no credence to our sourceless local opinion spouters in the press so why would we treat the Yorkshire Post with any more reverence? In Percy we trust.  ;D

It could just be the Yorkshire Masi…tut Masi!

Is it time to turn on tweet alerts on The Perce?!

I love the reaction on here today - pretty much unanimous happiness so I really hope this one comes through. 343 suits more of our players too…

SmethDan - I thought so too and we’ll give him a pass on those as it seems it was all true at the time of writing.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3413 on: June 18, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
......SmethDan - I thought so too and we’ll give him a pass on those as it seems it was all true at the time of writing.

You can exclude me from the Royal 'we' if it's all the same. I'm a harsh judge when it comes to this. He'd have a hot fire poker and a turnip up his ricker by now if it was down to me  ;) .

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3414 on: June 18, 2021, 06:29:20 PM »
That clip posted above looked awful.   Head tennis with no-one able or willing to get the ball on the ground. I watched them a couple of times; it was hare round like mad things with a purpose.

The high energy style will no more suit Diangana then Sawyers.  GD is a good winger for the Championship but his tackling is even worse than RS.

Still as I promised, if he comes I will get with the project.  After all our history with managers, any manager that actually wants to come to the Hawthorns needs cherishing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 06:31:46 PM by NJS »
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Vienna Baggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3415 on: June 18, 2021, 06:34:30 PM »
Just to put Ismael's Europa League achievements with LASK in perspective, their stadium capacity is just 6000, so I would imagine that we he accomplished there was despite having very meagre resources. LASK had to play their European matches in a different stadium (capacity 14000)!

It's actually a bit more complicated that that. 😁 For a few years now they've been playing in Pasching (a suburb of Linz) because  they didn't receive a licence from the Bundesliga for their stadium. The one is Pasching is smaller but more modern, in that it's not falling apart. In the Europa League they played back at their stadium, which I still don't understand, as I thought UEFA had strict rules regarding those too.

Anyway while Ismael can't be credited for bringing LASK back from the wilderness, he certainly pushed on with them in his season there.
💚🤍 Rapid Wien und WBA! 💙🤍

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3416 on: June 18, 2021, 06:36:23 PM »
Playground football is the most enjoyable. Certainly more fun than some of the dross we've seen over the years anyway.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3417 on: June 18, 2021, 07:30:19 PM »
What happened to the days when we were able to attract top class managerial candidates? I fear we are heading for a long spell in the Championship at best if Ismael is appointed. Then again he rarely lasts much more than a season at any club.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3418 on: June 18, 2021, 07:50:01 PM »
I know very little about this guy but something about him makes me hope we recruit him. Looking back it has mostly been the unexpected choices of manager that have delivered, especially when we have been in championship.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3419 on: June 18, 2021, 07:50:14 PM »
What happened to the days when we were able to attract top class managerial candidates? I fear we are heading for a long spell in the Championship at best if Ismael is appointed. Then again he rarely lasts much more than a season at any club.

He’s not managed many and it’s an upward trajectory of a career too really in a way, if you consider the Championship a step toward being a Premier League boss

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3420 on: June 18, 2021, 08:36:10 PM »
He’s not managed many and it’s an upward trajectory of a career too really in a way, if you consider the Championship a step toward being a Premier League boss
7 clubs in 10 years if you count Wolfsburgs B team
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3421 on: June 18, 2021, 09:00:28 PM »
7 clubs in 10 years if you count Wolfsburgs B team

And we have had 9 managers in 10 years (not counting caretakers) so he's the stable half of the equation.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3422 on: June 18, 2021, 09:18:39 PM »
Hanover 96 second team. Managed a team for 1 game. 2 spells at Wolfsburg II so I think it’s a slight misnomer.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3423 on: June 18, 2021, 10:32:28 PM »
So if Ismael come in, what players may follow him in?
Decent chance of Mowatt following his former boss.
Could also see if Daryl Dike fancies a full season on loan under Ismael.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3424 on: June 18, 2021, 10:33:40 PM »
Just to balance the extended head tennis clip from earlier, here's a highlights video of LASK v PSV in the 2019-20 Europa League. The first-half was a bit of a non-event, but LASK certainly came to life in the second half.