Author Topic: Albion on tv  (Read 2759 times)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Albion on tv
« on: December 18, 2019, 01:07:18 AM »
Found a 1994 Frank Skinner show on All 4 called Blue Heaven and the first episode is all about Albion and mentions a Bobby Hope goal against Ipswich.

Got me thinking about other stuff out there about us that I may not know about.

I have seen the China tour documentary as well as the Saturday men as well as the later Artist one.

Uncle Peter

• Youth Baggie

Re: Albion on tv
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 07:01:07 AM »
Adrian Chiles did something a few years ago, spending a lot of time with the club when Megson was the manager and Peace was in charge - remember Megson being particularly miffed after a meeting with Peace about transfer funds (iirc)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »
The channel 4 doc Artist in Residence was absolutely brilliant, from the Pulis - Moore season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »
This is worth a watch when you have the time, made in 1962

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C68DQvrAa90

In case you have trouble with the link in is called 'The Saturday Men'

How times have changed....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:43:38 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »

I remember watching that when it was first broadcast  ;)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 09:59:15 AM »
There was a 4 part series done a couple of years back too. Think it was done by Gary Lineker's company for the American market.
Somebody posted links to it on here at the time I seem to remember.
 Sorry can't remember what it was called.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
I really enjoyed watching that again, it bought back some very happy memories of some great Albion players.

As well as some familiar faces, there were, perhaps, some not so familiar:

1. Jock Wallace, goalkeeper and when he finished playing managed Glasgow Rangers for a spell
2. Ray (Panzie) Potter, goalkeeper, his nickname was based on the fact he found it difficult to hold on the ball and nothing else.
3. Bobby Cram, right back a solid, reliable defender and uncle of Steve
4. Keith Smith, center forward not a prolific goalscorer, but with The Tank alongside you, you didn't need to be
5. David Burnside, before getting into the team, he used to keep the fans entertained at half time with his keepie uppies, running with the ball from one end of the pitch to the other without the ball touching the floor. My memory fades me, but I seem to recall him, in a a game, I think, balancing the ball on his shoulder and the side of his head and running and dropping the ball in the opponents goal, it was disallowed for ungentlemanly conduct. I hope I haven't just made that up  ;D

My favorite of the time Derek (The Tank) Kevan, what a goalscore he was and his goalscoring record for England was phenomenal, if I recall he averaged over a goal a game at international level.

Don Howe, Bobby Hope, Bobby Robson, Alex Jackson, Graham Williams, Stuart Williams to name but a few of that team that were household names up and down the country. I don't think we could afford players of that quality these days. I apologies to any player I have missed and I'm sure I have.

And club Chairman Major Keys, loathed by supporters as they thought him tight with money, somethings never change, Alan Everiss, club secretary and son of Albion legend Fred Everiss, Jim Gaunt, a local business man and staunch Albion supporter all his life. And manager Archie MaCaulay only lasted a couple of seasons, good wing half in his playing days my dad use to tell me.

Happy, kinder, gentler and less complicated times. COYB!!!!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 10:56:43 AM »
Isn't there some good footage around of the China trip and the famous tongue in cheek 'seen one wall you've seen 'em all' ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCvLrMQHLJ8
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »

Forgot to say thank you for the link. It really made my day  :)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 02:32:43 PM »
I really enjoyed watching that again, it bought back some very happy memories of some great Albion players.

As well as some familiar faces, there were, perhaps, some not so familiar:

1. Jock Wallace, goalkeeper and when he finished playing managed Glasgow Rangers for a spell
2. Ray (Panzie) Potter, goalkeeper, his nickname was based on the fact he found it difficult to hold on the ball and nothing else.
3. Bobby Cram, right back a solid, reliable defender and uncle of Steve
4. Keith Smith, center forward not a prolific goalscorer, but with The Tank alongside you, you didn't need to be
5. David Burnside, before getting into the team, he used to keep the fans entertained at half time with his keepie uppies, running with the ball from one end of the pitch to the other without the ball touching the floor. My memory fades me, but I seem to recall him, in a a game, I think, balancing the ball on his shoulder and the side of his head and running and dropping the ball in the opponents goal, it was disallowed for ungentlemanly conduct. I hope I haven't just made that up  ;D

My favorite of the time Derek (The Tank) Kevan, what a goalscore he was and his goalscoring record for England was phenomenal, if I recall he averaged over a goal a game at international level.

Don Howe, Bobby Hope, Bobby Robson, Alex Jackson, Graham Williams, Stuart Williams to name but a few of that team that were household names up and down the country. I don't think we could afford players of that quality these days. I apologies to any player I have missed and I'm sure I have.

And club Chairman Major Keys, loathed by supporters as they thought him tight with money, somethings never change, Alan Everiss, club secretary and son of Albion legend Fred Everiss, Jim Gaunt, a local business man and staunch Albion supporter all his life. And manager Archie MaCaulay only lasted a couple of seasons, good wing half in his playing days my dad use to tell me.

Happy, kinder, gentler and less complicated times. COYB!!!!

Derek (The Tank) Kevan
My favourite too.
This was in the days of caps, rosettes and rattles and well before Boing Boing, TLMS, SOTV,  etc

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 12:37:04 AM »
There was a 4 part series done a couple of years back too. Think it was done by Gary Lineker's company for the American market.
Somebody posted links to it on here at the time I seem to remember.
 Sorry can't remember what it was called.

Behind the Badge.