Author Topic: Quality of our crosses  (Read 3357 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Quality of our crosses
« on: December 25, 2017, 01:25:26 AM »
I think a good part of our attacking problems have to do with the quality of our crosses.
Alot of good build-up play is totally wasted if crosses end up behind the goal, straight into the keepers hands, or behind the on-rushing forwards.
This is an important part of what a modern full back needs to deliver.  Nyom has been one of the worst offenders, with Dawson not much better. For that reason, Dawson would not be my ideal choice at full back. McLean and Phillips have also been inconsistent with the quality of their crosses. 
Having said that, there's virtually nobody in the league who can deliver so many dangerous crosses as Brunt, and that's more or less a reason to select him.
It's just that the other players who reguarly get into wide positions must be able to make their crosses count. With the help of onrushing forwards getting their runs well timed. Hope Pardew is giving some attention to this.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Quality of our crosses
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:19:29 AM »
I think a good part of our attacking problems have to do with the quality of our crosses.
Alot of good build-up play is totally wasted if crosses end up behind the goal, straight into the keepers hands, or behind the on-rushing forwards.
This is an important part of what a modern full back needs to deliver.  Nyom has been one of the worst offenders, with Dawson not much better. For that reason, Dawson would not be my ideal choice at full back. McLean and Phillips have also been inconsistent with the quality of their crosses. 
Having said that, there's virtually nobody in the league who can deliver so many dangerous crosses as Brunt, and that's more or less a reason to select him.
It's just that the other players who reguarly get into wide positions must be able to make their crosses count. With the help of onrushing forwards getting their runs well timed. Hope Pardew is giving some attention to this.

While I agree that there's no better in our team that can deliver crosses like Brunt, gone are the days where he's marauding down the wing, beating his man and putting a dangerous ball in from the byline like he used to. His set piece delivery is the best in our side however which means he really does need to be on the pitch for corners and free kicks alone.

However we do need someone who can get up and down the line and put a killer ball in, unfortunately McLean and HRK (or JRod) aren't the players to do this. Phillips can do this on his day, but we all know his injury issues.

I'd also argue that we've only really got Rondon who is a threat in the air in open play from crosses into the box, so maybe it's time to move on from always looking to cross the ball into the box when we're on the attack (although you could say maybe that's why we're not looking to try that anyway recently).

Does bring up another point, that is what do we try to do when we attack or break? Is it worth exploiting the wings for a cross when we've only really got Rondon who can cause issues in the air? Or should we try to keep it on the floor through the middle, where we're lacking a CAM or number 10 to link the play up? Think this may be why we are actually struggling to score goals, since we don't (or can't) really have a solid strategy for attacking at the moment (if that makes sense!). 

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:59:34 AM »
Mclean has to be the worst crosser of a ball I have seen during my support of this club, not only is it poor it is just brainless, absolute hit and hope. Rarely ever beats the first defender.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 07:06:21 AM »
His corners at Stoke were truly awful either not even getting to the near post or sailing far past and having been played centrally no real opportunities to cross the ball
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
brunts corners have been rubbish for a while .

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »
We also seem to bunch. If one of our players stood around the end of the penalty area (on the corners), I feel that there may be a chance of the ball coming their way.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
brunts corners have been rubbish for a while .

Apart from the one we scored from and the subsequent one we should have scored from the game before last?

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 01:29:38 AM »
Four culprits for me:

McClean - brainless, just smashes the ball in, completely hit-and-hope

HRK - he's just a terrible footballer all round, it's not even his crossing itself, it's the fact that he's too slow and too s**t to beat a man to get in a crossing position in the first place

Nyom - his foot is a pitching wedge, every time he crosses it's just a scooped floating nothing ball in to the general direction of the box. I can't help liking him but, technically, his ball-striking has to be the worst I've ever seen at this level, you'll find lads on the park on a Sunday morning who can get some whip on the ball and shape a cross better than Nyom

Dawson - can forgive him because he was playing out of position at RB but his crossing is atrocious

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
Talking about crossing the ball,what do they do in training every day?
Surely all they need to practice initially is to run down the wing at speed and cross the ball to the penalty spot.
Or stand on the wing and bend the ball in or out to the penalty spot.
Do it day in day out drills.
All the about don't need any defenders at all just learn to cross the ball first.
Then introduce defenders then they will learn,Christ its basic blame the coaches first then if the players can't do it ship them out.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
Apart from the one we scored from and the subsequent one we should have scored from the game before last?
1 a game is good going then ay

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
I remember seeing something that said crossing completion is normslly around 10%, and is the least effective method for scoring. No idea if that's true but I think the fact we don't tend to score from passing is more of a problem
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »
Never mind the crosses.
Our shots are abysmal.
Too many at shoulder height (goalkeepers love them) or above.
Hard and low is the name of the game....Kick through the ball.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »
Said it above, but can't help thinking it's not just the quality of crossing that is the issue. On at least 3 or 4 occasions yesterday Phillips had the ball and was looking to cross it with only Brunt and JRod in the middle. Cant really blame him or anyone else for reluctancy to get the ball over when thats all they've got to aim at. We seriously need a change of game plan when we take Rondon off

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »
J-Rod cross to Rondon early on yesterday was a beauty, shame Solomon did his best to move out of the way and miss the ball from point blank range.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
There was enough quality crosses in yesterday for a team with a decent striker to win two games
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'