Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1276589 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #3725 on: June 04, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
Circumstances may be delaying the announcement, try not to jump in with both feet, as you might find every man & his dog stood there laughing.

Patience is a virtue, of which some on this site have none!

When Villa appointed Lambert they confirmed it with a one liner on their webiste.

'Aston Villa can confirm Paul Lambert has been appointed as the clubs next Manager'

Why on earth would we delay an announcement? Oh yes, its bank holiday and the website editors may charge us double time to update the site today!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3726 on: June 04, 2012, 09:15:17 AM »
The worst part about this waiting is the worry we will end up with the likes of Appleton or Phelan .

Alex

« Reply #3727 on: June 04, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »
Read my post! it started with the word IF & common sense loses out to FACT everytime

Apologies, I didn't think anybody would pose a question that assumed that Ralf has accepted when he clearly has not.

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3728 on: June 04, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »
By the application of common sense.  More to the point why do you think he has accepted?

Because the only reports confirming our new manager have been from Germany and regarding Ralf.

Because the club are always shockingly late when announcing done deals, probably to avoid any last minute poaching (in other words they will wait before all the paperwork is done unlike Villa with Lambert.)

Because I really want it to happen, ;) and have had my hopes raised and refuse out of stubborn-ness to accept any other candidate who would be a massive let down to have our job, until I hear that Ralf has officially REFUSED the job.  ;D

Alex

« Reply #3729 on: June 04, 2012, 09:18:13 AM »
The worst part about this waiting is the worry we will end up with the likes of Appleton or Phelan .

Why do people have an anti towards Phelan.  He has been a key part of one of the most successful clubs in Europe over the past few years has he not?

bvauk

« Reply #3730 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »
I don't get what everyone thinks the rush is?

I know there are other jobs for managers to take, but I've every confidence that JP and DA are working on it, and that they'll have the right man in place in good time. I believe we are a bigger draw than Swansea or Norwich so any prospective manager will hold out I he thinks he's in with a chance?

The squad are either readying themselves for the euros or sunning themselves on the beach. Whilst I'm sure they're interested who the boss will be, I don't think they're running around looking for a new club because we haven't appointed someone.

Can we not just calm down, wait and see, and enjoy being disappointed at a major tournament once more??

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3731 on: June 04, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
the sense of panic quickly spreads it seems, as long as the person is appointed in the next 2-3 weeks itll be ok. swansea and norwich are none the wiser either!

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3732 on: June 04, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »
I think the panic  is worse than usual because the club have finally made some progress in the PL and this appointment is key to both our progress and keeping our best players at the club. In addition to trying to sign Foster.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3733 on: June 04, 2012, 09:33:37 AM »
Why do people have an anti towards Phelan.  He has been a key part of one of the most successful clubs in Europe over the past few years has he not?
The same would have been said about Brian Kidd, but that failed.

I think a club like ours should at least be able to attract a manager who has at least manged top level football.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3734 on: June 04, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »
My concern is that we've known about the fact that we would need a new head coach since the end of April and here we are 5 weeks later still no further forward,  and with respect looking as if we may be taking a backward step with some of the current candidates being mentioned.
Why everone keeps on about AVB god only knows he was discounted over a week ago, common sense would also dictate that with £12m in his back pocket he's unlikely to turn up at the bus station in Sandwell.
Phelan and Appleton?, Phelans been a no2 at Man U for a few years (some may say all his life) when they step out of Sir Alex's shadow they normally fall flat on their face Ala Brian Kid, Ricky Sbragia.
Appletons had half a season or so at a relegated club, not his fault but lacks the experience of standing on his own two feet.

The only outstanding candidate that's been linked is Ralph, and if reports are correct that the Albion are still looking for options that would suggest to me that they are worried that this fellow will not take the job, especially as he's being considered for the national job.

So for the next few days be prepared for all sorts of flotsam and jetsome being linked with the club.

The fact that according to Dan, 'we are always looking for the next manager' looks like hollow words at the moment.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

apple

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3735 on: June 04, 2012, 09:47:12 AM »
If its official, and we have drawn a line under the pursuit of Chris Hughton, that says to me that they are confident of getting who they want to take the job. Who that is God only knows.... and Jeremy Peace.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3736 on: June 04, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
the sense of panic quickly spreads it seems, as long as the person is appointed in the next 2-3 weeks itll be ok. swansea and norwich are none the wiser either!

Not quite panic but genuine concern.
Why lump Swansea and Norwich in with us ? They have only just lost their managers and are not as established as us so we should be way ahead of both of them.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3737 on: June 04, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
If its official, and we have drawn a line under the pursuit of Chris Hughton, that says to me that they are confident of getting who they want to take the job. Who that is God only knows.... and Jeremy Peace.

Thats a good point to be fair
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3738 on: June 04, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
I don't get what everyone thinks the rush is?

I know there are other jobs for managers to take, but I've every confidence that JP and DA are working on it, and that they'll have the right man in place in good time. I believe we are a bigger draw than Swansea or Norwich so any prospective manager will hold out I he thinks he's in with a chance?

The squad are either readying themselves for the euros or sunning themselves on the beach. Whilst I'm sure they're interested who the boss will be, I don't think they're running around looking for a new club because we haven't appointed someone.

Can we not just calm down, wait and see, and enjoy being disappointed at a major tournament once more??

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...

The fact of the matter is that we do not know either way what decision RR has made.

It will be a major disappointment if he decides not to come to WBA, but there are other Head Coaches out there who are more than capable of filling the vacancy.

The Board have shown us that they know what they are doing ever since the day that they sacked Bryan Robson...

In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3739 on: June 04, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
Apologies, I didn't think anybody would pose a question that assumed that Ralf has accepted when he clearly has not.

No worries Alex  :) thing is, me & 99. whatever percent of people on this forum are not privy to how negotiations are going, we don't really know who all the candidates are, many fans are anxious & it is very frustrating but I was trying to put a 'what if' slant on things.

Its common knowledge that DA has been away on holiday, what if they were waiting to announce the new man in a conference being flanked by JP & DA, what if the new man is discussing moving to a different country with his family, what if all the I's need dotting & the T's need to be crossed.

WBA do things differently to other clubs, very professionally in my humble, yes I'm a happy clapper, glass is always well over half full (no apologies) but regardless of optimism I believe JP will get the right man for Albion.

Jeremy Peace, Dan Ashworth & the board have had a taste of the honey over the last couple of seasons, they would need to be pretty stupid to make an appointment that will destroy all that good work.     
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3740 on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
Surely the fact that AVB has already pocketed £12m from Chelsea should increase his chance of coming here?  Money should be a far lower priority for him, and it's a "project" right up his street.

Is he going to land a job at the moment which pays as well as Chelsea?  No.  If he's not earning for the next year or two while waiting for a big job, then surely he might as well take an attractive project like Albion now.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3741 on: June 04, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »
My concern is that we've known about the fact that we would need a new head coach since the end of April and here we are 5 weeks later still no further forward,  and with respect looking as if we may be taking a backward step with some of the current candidates being mentioned.
Why everone keeps on about AVB god only knows he was discounted over a week ago, common sense would also dictate that with £12m in his back pocket he's unlikely to turn up at the bus station in Sandwell.
Phelan and Appleton?, Phelans been a no2 at Man U for a few years (some may say all his life) when they step out of Sir Alex's shadow they normally fall flat on their face Ala Brian Kid, Ricky Sbragia.
Appletons had half a season or so at a relegated club, not his fault but lacks the experience of standing on his own two feet.

The only outstanding candidate that's been linked is Ralph, and if reports are correct that the Albion are still looking for options that would suggest to me that they are worried that this fellow will not take the job, especially as he's being considered for the national job.

So for the next few days be prepared for all sorts of flotsam and jetsome being linked with the club.

The fact that according to Dan, 'we are always looking for the next manager' looks like hollow words at the moment.

From what I have read they knew that RH was to be offered the England job as early as February/March but kept it confidential so as to not disrupt our season until we were absolutely safe so if true that makes the situation even worse in terms of the time finding a replacement.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3742 on: June 04, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
I am not sure what the big concern is over the Birmingham Mail article, its pretty much what we knew anyway, it was reported last Tuesday that Hughton was not likely hence Rangnick name been mentioned a lot, todays article pretty much says the same.

By the sounds we may have made another attempt the weekend (hence Tom Ross tweet as well as the Bham Mail) but i would say either -

a) we really werent that fussed about Hughton, he was an option but he wasnt 'the man' as we were led to believe (the club havent ever commented to be fair) we have known for 5 weeks now that Roy was going, Hughtons season ended 4 weeks ago and i am sure if we were that desperare for him then we would meet the £2m supposed asking price as it football terms thats a pittance.

b) its a big smokescreen and he will be our manager!

The club have played this very close to their chest, there has not been one quote from us regarding an actual candidate, even the Ranieri stuff came from his end, it must be frustrating for the local media as they possibly know more than they can let on but they are just fed snippets what they can actually publish.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3743 on: June 04, 2012, 10:04:50 AM »
I guess we knew about Hodgson weeks before end of season, if not months.

I consider it unacceptable we have not appointed by now. If rangnick was there v arsenal why wait 5 weeks and now risk losing him.

We're penny pinching. Just get it done peace and if we appoint appleton, wait for the backlash.

The end of hughton as candidate must mean someone else is lined up.... Or we must be confident someone accepted....
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3744 on: June 04, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
Or is our tactic to first discreetly line up a high quality replacement for Foster so that we can then pounce for Hughton without fear of it knackering a deal for Foster?

McGregor, Green or the PIG perhaps?

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3745 on: June 04, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
The problem with us knowing Roy was going was we couldn't really approach anyone as the cat would easily have been out of the bag.

For me as long as it's sorted before the Euros kick off I'll be happy.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3746 on: June 04, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »

Not quite panic but genuine concern.
Why lump Swansea and Norwich in with us ? They have only just lost their managers and are not as established as us so we should be way ahead of both of them.
they arent that far ahead of us, and thats unfair we've only been in this league one more season than they have! doesnt put us lightyears ahead.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3747 on: June 04, 2012, 10:12:25 AM »
The problem with us knowing Roy was going was we couldn't really approach anyone as the cat would easily have been out of the bag.

For me as long as it's sorted before the Euros kick off I'll be happy.
It wouldn't have let anything put the bag, afterall Roy was out of contract. We should have been looking around actively anyway.

Alex

« Reply #3748 on: June 04, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »
The same would have been said about Brian Kidd, but that failed.

I think a club like ours should at least be able to attract a manager who has at least manged top level football.

Brendan Rogers seems to have succeeded as working as a No. 2 I have also rated Steve Clarke, a highly sought after No. 2 who may one day manage in his own right.

Phelan or Clarke would do me.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3749 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »
I guess we knew about Hodgson weeks before end of season, if not months.

I consider it unacceptable we have not appointed by now. If rangnick was there v arsenal why wait 5 weeks and now risk losing him.

We're penny pinching. Just get it done peace and if we appoint appleton, wait for the backlash.

The end of hughton as candidate must mean someone else is lined up.... Or we must be confident someone accepted....
Totally agree about Rangnick, and maybe the reasons will come out if he ever comes.

I also find it unacceptable that they have decided against Hughton now, surely the board knew Blues would fight tooth and nail to keep him, so they could have dropped the interest in him weeks go.

If this was Wolves we would be takin the mick left right and centre, and we are supposed to be "always looking at the next manager". It's been two months now and, although admittedly its out of season, we are looking a bit desperate if Ralf decides not to come, and let's face it it would appear he's had five weeks to think about it.