Author Topic: 30 Jan 2021 Albion 2 Fulham 2  (Read 55592 times)

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #625 on: January 31, 2021, 11:45:44 AM »
Fulham have better players than us and a progressive management team so I think 2 - 2 is a reasonable result.

I note that many are getting starry eyed about Diagne  - I'm getting deja vu.  I'll comment on him on his own thread when he's had more time to settle and get up to the fitness standard of the PL.*  His mere presence did inhibit Andersen from advancing far into our half.

BS complained about the shocking defending for their second goal.  Just remind me, who trains the defence?

*   Mind you, as some of you have commented on here, the standard of fitness training does not seem to yield satisfactory results and maybe a bit out of date with modern methods.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #626 on: January 31, 2021, 02:05:38 PM »
The first half was pathetic. The first 25 mins of the second half we improved but once we'd scored we stopped doing the pressing from the front and allowed Fulham back in the game.
1st half Gibbs was by far the worst player, got sucked into the middle and unaware of Decordova-Reid behind him for the goal, then it happens again but thankfully Decordova -Reid hit the posts...nearly happened again later in the half when Ajayi (I think) and Gibbs got in each others way allowing another shot on target. Townsend has to come in when fit.

Gallagher was dreadful all game, easily worse than Livermore who didn't really do anything wrong but didn't do much at all, closed down and tried to help out the back four but isn't good enough. Snodgrass looked lost first half too but improved second half. A central midfield of Okay and Snodgrass should be the way to go.

Second half we were much better, felt sorry for Robinson being hooked but Diagne looked reasonable and created the kind of problems we need our strikers to cause. Good ball in for Pereira's goal.

Why didn't Grant just gamble on the ball coming across the box from Bartley's second attempt...an easy tap in if he had?

Sadly in the second half we weren't as good as Fulham had been in the first half and they weren't as bad as we'd been.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: match officials
« Reply #627 on: January 31, 2021, 02:10:22 PM »
I thought that Anthony Taylor officiated quite well.

me too, although he fell for Fulham's play acting a couple of times. Surprised he didn't book Gallagher after the second dive. I hope Allardyce has a word with him about the diving.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #628 on: January 31, 2021, 02:18:09 PM »
Oh sod it again! Must be getting soft on em, but Taylor was ok. Even though I thought he got conned a few times by the play acting of the Fulham mob, he was generally consistent and more often than not correct. Perhaps we need to learn to take a more co-ordinated approach to the appeals for a free kick, especially since the no fans issue.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:21:23 PM by wodenson46 »

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #629 on: January 31, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »
Didn't really see him much, which is good refereeing in my book. Thought Bartley's card was a bit harsh but other than that he seemed to know what he was doing. Being Albion-biased I think he should have had strong words with Loftus-Cheek who was "winning" fouls all afternoon, but all in all he was decent.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #630 on: January 31, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »
I do wonder about our fitness coaching, we have turned out a few very muscular players who are not that mobile over the last few years.
Livermore & Phillips currently fit the bill, add into that the players who seem to be incapable of staying un-injured Field and Gibbs, I also worry that Townsend may join them in the physio room club.

We used to be a club that re-habilitated these sort of players now we seem to create them, probably over dramatic, but I do feel there is an issue there.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #631 on: January 31, 2021, 09:00:33 PM »
I do wonder about our fitness coaching, we have turned out a few very muscular players who are not that mobile over the last few years.
Livermore & Phillips currently fit the bill, add into that the players who seem to be incapable of staying un-injured Field and Gibbs, I also worry that Townsend may join them in the physio room club.

We used to be a club that re-habilitated these sort of players now we seem to create them, probably over dramatic, but I do feel there is an issue there.
Yes I also wonder and think it's something that needs to be looked at. Also a very high proportion of our players who are out on loan have got long term injury....is that our fault for their development / pre season plans or the fault of the club they're at ? - it's hard to tell. Grant looks like he could lose a couple of pounds also. Townsend, he's had the one injury in fairness so I wouldn't put him in the physio club yet.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #632 on: January 31, 2021, 09:05:33 PM »
The first half was pathetic. The first 25 mins of the second half we improved but once we'd scored we stopped doing the pressing from the front and allowed Fulham back in the game.
1st half Gibbs was by far the worst player, got sucked into the middle and unaware of Decordova-Reid behind him for the goal, then it happens again but thankfully Decordova -Reid hit the posts...nearly happened again later in the half when Ajayi (I think) and Gibbs got in each others way allowing another shot on target. Townsend has to come in when fit.

Gallagher was dreadful all game, easily worse than Livermore who didn't really do anything wrong but didn't do much at all, closed down and tried to help out the back four but isn't good enough. Snodgrass looked lost first half too but improved second half. A central midfield of Okay and Snodgrass should be the way to go.

Second half we were much better, felt sorry for Robinson being hooked but Diagne looked reasonable and created the kind of problems we need our strikers to cause. Good ball in for Pereira's goal.

Why didn't Grant just gamble on the ball coming across the box from Bartley's second attempt...an easy tap in if he had?

Sadly in the second half we weren't as good as Fulham had been in the first half and they weren't as bad as we'd been.

Gallagher worse than Livermore?  No way.  Agreed Gallagher was poor by his high standards, but at least he can get round the pitch and get involved.  Livermore is half a yard behind the play all the time.  We need Gallagher's energy, Snodgrass is not quick enough for CM

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #633 on: February 01, 2021, 10:19:00 AM »
Yes I also wonder and think it's something that needs to be looked at. Also a very high proportion of our players who are out on loan have got long term injury....is that our fault for their development / pre season plans or the fault of the club they're at ? - it's hard to tell. Grant looks like he could lose a couple of pounds also. Townsend, he's had the one injury in fairness so I wouldn't put him in the physio club yet.

To be fair, injury rates for soft tissue problems are up across the board, just look at Liverpool and their problems at Centre Back. It makes sense that the players who less training post lockdown (U23s) will be less resilient than those who are playing league football

He/him