Author Topic: Our squad  (Read 22527 times)

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Our squad
« on: May 13, 2021, 09:16:28 PM »
How much surgery do we need? And how unbalanced is this squad - in both numbers and quality in key areas?

We have hardly any strikers (two are really kids) and a host of midfield players who for me don’t look good enough.

You may think otherwise, but I think we have a huge rebuilding job to do in the most expensive parts of the pitch - which will probably need to be financed by the sales of Johnstone and Pereira.*

Note: Field** added because he was missing from the original post.

These are our under-contract players:

GKs:
Johnstone*
Button
Palmer
Griffiths

Defenders:
Furlong
Townsend
Bartley
Ajayi
Kipre
O’Shea

Midfielders:
Livermore
Sawyers
Harper
Robinson
Diangana
Snodgrass
Phillips
Pereira*
Field**

Strikers:
Grant
Zohore
Tulloch
Morton

Thoughts? Do we have the foundations of a promotion winning squad? And where should we spend the limited money we’ll have?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:34:48 AM by ttree30 »

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Our squad
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
GK: should be fine

Def: I'd look at another left back/utility player for cover.

Mid: Wide areas are pretty strong. The centre needs new blood. Would love Okay to sign but it's unlikely, so a new cdm a priority. A number 10 creative type who chips in with goals, to replace Pereira needed.

Stri: Need minimum 2, a Diagne type and a Gayle type. Grant isn't a striker.

Overall we don't need massive changes to be competitive, we just need to fill a huge void in the spine of the team in the liklihood we go into next season without Okay, Pereira and Diagne.
Allllllll aboard

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »
For me we'd be looking like this...

Palmer
O'Shea
Kipre
Bartley
New LB

New DM/Okay
Sawyers if we get pre-pandemic Sawyers

Grant
New No 10/Pereira
Diangana

New ST

If we don't sign Okay and Diagne and Pereira goes then their replacements are huge and have to be our top targets. Townsend has improved but positionally he is awful. I'm not overly enamoured with our defensive options, I'd rather overhaul the entire backline bar O'Shea.

I'm equally unimpressed with our central midfield options.

Back up that includes Furlong, Snodgrass, Phillips and Robinson isn't bad but it isn't great either.

Now I'm writing it down I'm realising whoever we sign and whoever we manage to keep is HUGE.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 10:29:44 PM »
Palmer
Furlong O’Shea Bartley Townsend
New midfield 3
Diangana Grant Robinson

Defence is good enough with a proper midfield in front of it. A budget of 20-25 million after we’ve sold Pereira and Johnstone buys us a good midfield for that level. Need cover at rb and lb and if Sam stays we’ll buy a striker like Diagne.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 10:34:00 PM »
I'd like to see Tulloch as the first option of the bench next season and given minutes to prove himself.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:07:55 PM »
Until we have clarity on who the manager is I think it is very difficult to judge exactly what we will need. I also think there are two very different scenario's to be played out if Pereira stays or goes. However regardless I think it is the base squad plus 5 or 6 additions.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 11:38:48 PM »
2 central midfielders, 2 full backs and a striker will probably be enough.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 12:23:36 AM »
2 cm and a cf and a lb is the minimum.
If we lose periera we will need a new number 10.
If bartley goes new cb also
O Albion we love you

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »
2 central midfielders, 2 full backs and a striker will probably be enough.

I'd go for that!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »
That central midfield combinations are frightening.

I do agree with baggiebof - two full backs, two midfielders and a forward are needed.

I would hope the forward is not HRK.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 08:44:40 AM »
Are people convinced that Bartley will be here? i thought his contract was up and i haven't seen the rumoured extension confirmed anywhere.

You have missed out Field - QPR fans were raving about him but they stopped playing him as they couldn't afford to trigger the transfer fee agreed apparently.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »
Are people convinced that Bartley will be here? i thought his contract was up and i haven't seen the rumoured extension confirmed anywhere.

You have missed out Field - QPR fans were raving about him but they stopped playing him as they couldn't afford to trigger the transfer fee agreed apparently.

I’ve had a check and reports do show Sam F is contracted fir another year so you’re spot on - you can add Sam to the midfield list.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:29:26 AM by ttree30 »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »
Sam Field has one year left on his contract. When he joined QPR it was with an obligation to buy if he started a certain number of games. QPR were careful not to trigger the clause but remain keen on the player. At this point he is half out of the door and if we want to retain him I am guessing that means a new contract and being central to the teams plans next year.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 10:33:14 AM »
Sam Field has one year left on his contract. When he joined QPR it was with an obligation to buy if he started a certain number of games. QPR were careful not to trigger the clause but remain keen on the player. At this point he is half out of the door and if we want to retain him I am guessing that means a new contract and being central to the teams plans next year.

Yes - I think you’re right about “half out of the door.” Doubt he has much of a future at the club, but he should be added to the list at least for completeness.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »
GK: should be fine

Def: I'd look at another left back/utility player for cover.

Mid: Wide areas are pretty strong. The centre needs new blood. Would love Okay to sign but it's unlikely, so a new cdm a priority. A number 10 creative type who chips in with goals, to replace Pereira needed.

Stri: Need minimum 2, a Diagne type and a Gayle type. Grant isn't a striker.

Overall we don't need massive changes to be competitive, we just need to fill a huge void in the spine of the team in the liklihood we go into next season without Okay, Pereira and Diagne.

Sounds about right. And you’re right Grant isn’t really a striker at all and is better at cutting in from wide positions. He’s really a winger, which makes the signing of him (at such huge cost) even more bizarre.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
Yokuslu should be the main priority and that conversation should have already started. I'm still convinced we'll get him but, if not a similar player is a must.
After that 2 or 3 strikers depending on Diagne, who, if available, is a no brainer.

Full backs are fine for this league but improve if we can, especially RB

Maybe I'm being romantic but I haven't given up on Sawyers. If Allardyce can improve his application and awareness, we know his ball retention and passing are exemplary for this league. Either way we still need 1 or 2 in there as, Livermore is a no for me, let him have his swansong somewhere else. HRK is another one, I've seen him lumbering about for 3 seasons too many now, if no-one will take him, give him a role somewhere else, just nowhere near the 1st team squad.

Would love to see Palmer step up with the experienced Button as back up.
Sam Field is not going to cut it, let him go.
Edwards may have a cameo to play but don't see him as a major player.

I, personally, don't see Allardyce replacing Pereira like for like, which would be nigh on impossible anyway, so think that role will become more functional or disappear altogether with the likes of Robinson, Grady and Grant occupying the areas in and around the striker(s).

Not the massive overhaul some are predicting but plenty to do. I have no doubts whatsoever though that we will be well and truly in the mix!

Roll on August.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 07:55:22 AM »
Can’t see Field staying - if the club wanted to keep him they would have given him a new deal by now.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 08:31:38 AM »
I’d like a loan with option to buy (upon promotion) for Choudhary. Only issue is I think Newcastle or a promoted club might come in for him.

I’d be looking to move Livermore on now too -we need a better energy in that central midfield.

Just looking at other loanee options- Ethan Ampadu will surely get loaned out by Chelsea again- how did you think he faired for Sheffield Utd? Can play defence and midfield.

Would be very interested in Axel Tuanzabe is Man Utd want game time for him.

I know it’s been discussed to the ends of the Earth I’d sign Dwight Gayle on a free tomorrow as well- I know he’s into his 30s now but he could be like Kevin Phillips for us in the Champ if we could play on the front foot.

Are there any fringe players from the promoted squads of Norwich or Watford? Anyone who we could take from Barnsley or the play off squads and boost their coffers?

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 08:35:47 AM »
All the players you mention will be going to the prem on prem wages.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2021, 08:46:04 AM »
Hardly worth posting this as everyone knows it - it is the middle of the park where we need three bodies if we are letting Field go, and at least one proper CF; Robinson can give some sort of cover there and maybe Morton if he's up to it as people are suggesting.  Everything else will be gravy; cover at FB, CH would be ideal but can't be made top priorities, it may have to be Peltier for another year, he does seem to have some idea what he's doing at FB.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »
I’d like a loan with option to buy (upon promotion) for Choudhary. Only issue is I think Newcastle or a promoted club might come in for him.

I’d be looking to move Livermore on now too -we need a better energy in that central midfield.

Just looking at other loanee options- Ethan Ampadu will surely get loaned out by Chelsea again- how did you think he faired for Sheffield Utd? Can play defence and midfield.

Would be very interested in Axel Tuanzabe is Man Utd want game time for him.

I know it’s been discussed to the ends of the Earth I’d sign Dwight Gayle on a free tomorrow as well- I know he’s into his 30s now but he could be like Kevin Phillips for us in the Champ if we could play on the front foot.

Are there any fringe players from the promoted squads of Norwich or Watford? Anyone who we could take from Barnsley or the play off squads and boost their coffers?

He's signed a new 3 year deal so not sure how we could get him on a free.

I think we all agree on Livermore. It's vital we get cm and striker recruitment right this Summer.
Allllllll aboard

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 10:04:26 AM »
He's signed a new 3 year deal so not sure how we could get him on a free.

I think we all agree on Livermore. It's vital we get cm and striker recruitment right this Summer.

Which club will match Livermore's current wages even if he was available on a free?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:08:39 AM by Standaman »

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 10:11:08 AM »
Which club will Livermore's current wages even if he was available on a free?

I've got absolutely no idea. Who said he was available on a free? We could offer him out on loan perhaps. Are you suggesting as we are stuck with him he should play?
Allllllll aboard

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »
I've got absolutely no idea. Who said he was available on a free? We could offer him out on loan perhaps. Are you suggesting as we are stuck with him he should play?

My point is that moving a player on is not straight forward. I said taking him on a free just to make it as easy as possible for the buying club. If we end up paying more than half his wages we are better off having him in the squad and that is not terrible in the Championship.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 10:56:15 AM »
My point is that moving a player on is not straight forward. I said taking him on a free just to make it as easy as possible for the buying club. If we end up paying more than half his wages we are better off having him in the squad and that is not terrible in the Championship.

It's a tough one. He's on too much to be a squad player, yet not good enough for the first 11.
Allllllll aboard