1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446643 times)

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2700 on: June 11, 2021, 01:44:20 PM »
i'd go with Mcinnes. Wanted Wilder but with misgivings i couldn't put my finger on. Appleton next time....

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2701 on: June 11, 2021, 01:45:16 PM »
I've thought about it and I think I'm leaning towards McInnes now.

I know he wouldn't get mentioned had he not played for us and I admit I am looking at this through rose tinted specs.

Darren Moore was in no shape 'qualified' to take on a Premier League job but got the gig ONLY because of his club connections but ultimately it didn't work out due to various reasons. I feel McInnes has earnt his stripes (pardon the pun) to see what he can do with a set up like ours and let's be honest any half decent manager should get us in the top 6.

It would be a romantic appointment, he would bleed blue and white and he would be immensely proud to lead our club, he also wouldn't care about being 4th choice or whatever it is as he would walk on hot coals to get here - isn't that what we want? He would ask for nothing less that 110% from the players and he would bring us together.

Gamble it is and if it doesn't appear to be working we'll just have to pull the trigger before it is too late.

**BB74 NOW RUNS AND HIDES AWAITING KEYBOARD GRENADES TO COME HIS WAY**

You won't get grenades from me, because with that appointment, at least there's some logic.
Up to now, it's been rabbits pulled out of a hat.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2702 on: June 11, 2021, 01:47:51 PM »
Andy Johnson - via Express & Star

Johnson – who played in midfield alongside McInnes in Albion’s promotion-winning side – believes his former teammate would be a great appointment as boss.

“For me, Derek McInnes ticks all the boxes,” he said.

“He is young but he knows all about the football club and understands the fan base.

“He is also passionate about Albion and has that desire to really make the club successful.

“He is very calm but he also has that fire in his belly. When we were playing together he would think nothing of coming in at half-time and saying exactly what needed to be said.

“He shakes things up. But he has also got excellent people skills. And I think we’ve got a lot of players who would really benefit from working with him.

“Karlan Grant and Grady Diangana, for example, were big signings for us and they should have a big role to play next year.

“But they are going to be rusty. They have hardly played for six months.

“Derek is the type of person who will help them get back to their best.

“I believe he would be a good manager and a great ambassador for the club.

“The way he comes across in interviews, he will lift everyone and bring everyone together.

“He is loyal. He rejected both Rangers and Sunderland while at Aberdeen.

“And he would never let the club be embarrassed. He does things the right way.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/06/12/next-west-brom-boss-derek-mcinnes-interested-in-albion-job/

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2703 on: June 11, 2021, 01:50:49 PM »
Sir Alex backs McInnes

Manchester United icon Alex Ferguson who said he is happy to give McInnes a reference for any future job.

Speaking after McInnes left Aberdeen, the legendary boss said: “Derek is a top-class, experienced manager who still has the energy of youth.

“He is capable of taking on a big job.

“If I was asked for a reference for him, I would gladly supply it.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2021/06/12/next-west-brom-boss-derek-mcinnes-interested-in-albion-job/

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2704 on: June 11, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »
Sir Alex backs McInnes

Manchester United icon Alex Ferguson who said he is happy to give McInnes a reference for any future job.

Speaking after McInnes left Aberdeen, the legendary boss said: “Derek is a top-class, experienced manager who still has the energy of youth.

“He is capable of taking on a big job.

“If I was asked for a reference for him, I would gladly supply it.”

The fact Sir Alex was also manager of Aberdeen might just make him see through rose-tinted spectacles. Would he recommend him for the Man U job?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2705 on: June 11, 2021, 01:57:56 PM »
The fact Sir Alex was also manager of Aberdeen might just make him see through rose-tinted spectacles. Would he recommend him for the Man U job?

Man Utd are way out on there own and consist more than a 'big job'. I would deem us as a big job, the next level up would be massive jobs such as Everton, Spurs etc than you have the superstar jobs such as Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool.

Surely you are not trying to water down a reference form possibly the greatest British manager of all time?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2706 on: June 11, 2021, 02:01:11 PM »
I've thought about it and I think I'm leaning towards McInnes now.

I know he wouldn't get mentioned had he not played for us and I admit I am looking at this through rose tinted specs.
I look forward to seeing the quotes from Aberdeen fans in similar glowing terms to how Huddersfield fans regard Wagner!  :)

P.S. I'm not going to go looking for them having wasted so much time doing the same with Wagner!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:19:18 PM by WorcsWBA »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2707 on: June 11, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
Couldnt give a toss what Fergie or AJ think to be honest.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2708 on: June 11, 2021, 02:07:29 PM »
Man Utd are way out on there own and consist more than a 'big job'. I would deem us as a big job, the next level up would be massive jobs such as Everton, Spurs etc than you have the superstar jobs such as Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool.

Surely you are not trying to water down a reference form possibly the greatest British manager of all time?
Isn't it more than a coincidence that he just happened to make his own name at Aberdeen?  He's human and has his own biases and affiliations like anyone else.

I also resent a manager of a so-called 'Big club' handing out advice to 'lesser' clubs
on what they should do. He should stick to offering advice for his beloved Man U.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2709 on: June 11, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »
The article is basically McInnes would like the job. So would a lot of us :) Not really a lot in it of substance....

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2710 on: June 11, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »
I'm not trying to play down the opinions of Sir Alex Ferguson. But I remember an interview he gave on TV back in the mid 90s. I think it may have been with Gary Newbon.

He was giving his opinion of managers in the Championship and I remember him saying West Bromwich Albion had a good young manager who'd done his apprenticeship, earned the right to manage at a higher level and looked like he was going to have a successful managerial career.

That young manager's name was Alan Buckley........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2711 on: June 11, 2021, 02:27:17 PM »
managers of top clubs are not necessarily good coaches but they have the best players and manage their ego and media well.
A manager who gets a team promoted may also do so because he has the best players in that league.
We need a manager who desires an attractive style of play and can unearth good players and develop them so at a previous club he might not have got promotion but got his team to punch above its weight with the likliehood that given a fair hand at recruitment will be sucessful.
That is the manager we want and he will start with a reasonable squad for the league we are in.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2712 on: June 11, 2021, 02:28:15 PM »
Yes I acknowledged that McInnes wouldn’t get a look in if it wasn’t for his links with us. I flipped that argument to use it for Southgate yet everyone is backing him and fine with it.

We’ve got an absent owner who isn't interested and it would be nice to have a Manager who would bleed blue and white. Allardyce came with the CV but he couldn’t care less.

Southgate it could be argued got the job based on his under 21 role and has brought a few players through from his under 21 side, also because there was a lack of decent candidates.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2713 on: June 11, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »
So having earlier been negative towards McInnes, many now want him here.

Another step closer to Hughes...... :(
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2714 on: June 11, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »
Darren Carter? Ex albion and some experience at Solihull Moors? Likely to be free.  ;D

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2715 on: June 11, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »
Ian Holloway got Blackpool into the Prem' (and back out of it) and he's available following his departure from Grimsby.

Fits the criteria, if nothing else he's a bloody good loff and the meltdown would be a thing of epic proportions.

Lai would wet himself if he saw the reaction on here and he'd probably drown in a sea of wee if we went up and he sold us on for a profit.

S house rules apply, it's going to happen ;D .

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2716 on: June 11, 2021, 02:54:52 PM »
Ian Holloway got Blackpool into the Prem' (and back out of it) and he's available following his departure from Grimsby.

Fits the criteria, if nothing else he's a bloody good loff and the meltdown would be a thing of epic proportions.

Lai would wet himself if he saw the reaction on here and he'd probably drown in a sea of wee if we went up and he sold us on for a profit.

S house rules apply, it's going to happen ;D .
If we're going down the comedy route, what about Barry Fry as Football Director?
Don't know how Lai would react to his PR style.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2717 on: June 11, 2021, 02:57:39 PM »
I have to say, I think the new manager search (and this thread in particular) has entertained me more than last season's football did :D
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2718 on: June 11, 2021, 02:58:39 PM »
I have to say, I think the new manager search (and this thread in particular) has entertained me more than last season's football did :D

To be fair that wasn't hard to beat on the whole !

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2719 on: June 11, 2021, 03:07:13 PM »
What about Eden Terzic?

Great job at Dortmund in an interim role, looking for his first managerial role. Worked in England with Bilic at West Ham…. Ah never mind  ;D

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2720 on: June 11, 2021, 03:09:52 PM »
Some people are against Appleton.I don't know if Lincoln over achieved or under achieved but I do know he spotted a good young goalkeeper a promising young striker who unfortunately suffered a bad injury and a young player who who Man City poached off us so you can't fault his talent spotting or reluctance to give young players a chance.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2721 on: June 11, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
gIvE It DeOn BuRtOn, he knows the kids.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2722 on: June 11, 2021, 03:25:16 PM »
McInnes would do for me right now, what have we got to lose, no-one will be the least bit surprised if we do a Sunderland over the next few seasons

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2723 on: June 11, 2021, 03:29:11 PM »
gIvE It DeOn BuRtOn, he knows the kids.

Please dont encourage them Dan  ;D

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2724 on: June 11, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »
Some people are against Appleton.I don't know if Lincoln over achieved or under achieved but I do know he spotted a good young goalkeeper a promising young striker who unfortunately suffered a bad injury and a young player who who Man City poached off us so you can't fault his talent spotting or reluctance to give young players a chance.

Or he knew of Palmer and Morton from his time in the academy,(similar to DM taking Tulloch last year) same with Rogers, not to mention Rogers is/was one of the highest rated youngest in the country so wasn’t hard to ‘spot’. Would be the same as him taking Louie Barry on loan next season.

Facts are, he wouldn’t be considered for this role without previously playing here. There’s arguably 3-4 managers in league 1 who would probably be more deserving of the chance.