Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 494248 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #1525 on: May 13, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
......Let's hope Dowling is switched on and realises the gold nugget he's in possession of!

I don't think Dowling's quite the arch' villain often portrayed. However, there's an argument to suggest that if he stumbled across a tin of Jack's magic beans they'd be on toast and down his neck in no time.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1526 on: May 13, 2021, 09:30:13 AM »
Be strange to go to Leipzig unless they are selling someone they already have Olmo, Nkunku, Szobozslai & Forsberg all who play attacking midfielder. Hopefully that calibre of team is looking at him as a he deserves to be playing European Football & we can demand a wedge for him.

Yes and they have already committed to £10m net spend and they aren't going to spend another £30m on top of that particularly as you have pointed out in area of the pitch where they already have options albeit ones who have had some injury issues.

The problem for the more bullish valuations is the interest Pereira is getting is from the canny operators like Leipzig and Leicester. To put things into context Leipzig's current transfer record is £26m for Naby Keïta . If Pereira signed he would be their 2nd oldest signing they have made for a significant fee at the age of 25 the oldest being 26.

If a club that regularly overpays for players comes calling then the price goes up exponentially but without that interest the more fanciful numbers aren't going to happen.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1527 on: May 13, 2021, 09:52:46 AM »
Let's hope PSG come in for Pereira, opening bids at £120m!

If Leicester buy Pereira then at least SA can bring in Choudhury as a make weight, albeit 4 months later!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1528 on: May 13, 2021, 12:37:52 PM »

The problem for the more bullish valuations is the interest Pereira is getting is from the canny operators like Leipzig and Leicester. To put things into context Leipzig's current transfer record is £26m for Naby Keïta . If Pereira signed he would be their 2nd oldest signing they have made for a significant fee at the age of 25 the oldest being 26.

Generally German clubs won't pay as high fees as PL clubs.
If he must be sold, the club need to get the highest fee, and then make sure it gets re-invested sensibly.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1529 on: May 13, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »
I suspect that Levy at Spuds will be under significant pressure to improve their squad after "failure' this and previous seasons, Will they pass up on the chance to tempt Periera away, I doubt it.
Expect a long and fraught period of negotiations to ensue once the manager situation there is sorted..
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1530 on: May 13, 2021, 01:13:39 PM »
Hed be brilliant for Vile who cant win without Grealish. Put Pereira in their team and they will win games without the afford mentioned diving xxxxxx.

Grealish on the left, Pereira central or right with McGinn another central option with Yokuslu at the base and these are serious top six contenders.

Horrible thought but entirely possible if Vile do the right business.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1531 on: May 13, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
He'd walk into any top team anywhere. He's a footballing genius. With Barnes, Vardy and MP, Leicester will be title contenders. It's at least a £50m starting point for me or we're total mugs.

I agree, he's becoming Messiesque! 

What I'm wondering is whether he'll play the last three games if he's to be sold?  We stand to gain an additional £3 million if we finish above Fulham (can't see it now personally).   

Is it worth the risk -  what if he breaks his leg or does his cruciate on Sunday?  Liverpool and West Ham are desperate for points - the tackles will be flying and he'll be a target. 

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1532 on: May 13, 2021, 01:22:52 PM »
the tackles will be flying and he'll be a target.

You're joking. You cant fart in the PL. Tackles flying in, not a flippin hope.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1533 on: May 13, 2021, 01:33:57 PM »
Anyone watching Chelsea last night will know they were awful as an attacking force.  Pereira would easily get in.  Mount is no Grealish even.

I don't know what further evidence is needed that Pereira would slot into any club team?

The only debate here is if transfer prices have been affected by Covid19?

Let's hope Dowling is switched on and realises the gold nugget he's in possession of!

What evidence, all you have expressed is your opinion.
 Periera has been brilliant for us but we are a very poor team, there's a massive difference between that and being good enough for a truly top team.
 Most top teams will only pay top dollar for a 25 yr old that has a proven track record in the top flight not one good season.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:58:25 PM by MarkW »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1534 on: May 13, 2021, 01:53:43 PM »
I really can't see anyone paying more than £30m for him IMO. That will be enough for our board to sell however.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1535 on: May 13, 2021, 01:58:58 PM »
 Periera has been brilliant for us but we are a very poor team, there's a massive difference between that and being good enough for a truly top team.
 Most top teams will only pay top dollar for a 25 yr old that has a proven track record in the top flight not one good season.

*One good three month stint

He/him

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1536 on: May 13, 2021, 08:46:59 PM »
30 million and our board will sell in my view. We need the cash clubs will know it and probably get him for 15 million cheaper as a result.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1537 on: May 13, 2021, 10:38:37 PM »
30 million and our board will sell in my view. We need the cash clubs will know it and probably get him for 15 million cheaper as a result.

Why do we need the cash when the wage bill automatically gets reduced 50% and we have two years of parachute payments? I don't think we do need the cash. Posters keep saying we do without explaining why they think that is the case. To the extent we need to being a few new players in the sale of Sam Johnstone will free up some money and we quite a lot high earnings departing on free transfers.

As for selling him for £30m. I doubt the board are that stupid.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1538 on: May 13, 2021, 11:13:19 PM »

Not being funny but it's a lot harder to do what Pereira has done surrounded by mediocre players.  The more i see the more i think WBA fans don't truly appreciate what he's achieved in the 2 seasons.  Will go down as an Albion great even if sold in 2 months time. 

Did you see Pogba tonight?  £95m for that! 

Someone like Zaha has been good for Palace for 3 or 4 seasons but has regressed this season, outshone by Eze.  Pereira has more than proved himself in the Premier.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1539 on: May 14, 2021, 12:28:04 AM »
Much prefer he go overseas on season long loan with small loan fee and they cover his wages and we have a youth player  as a result
O Albion we love you

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1540 on: May 14, 2021, 05:21:37 AM »
Why do we need the cash when the wage bill automatically gets reduced 50% and we have two years of parachute payments? I don't think we do need the cash. Posters keep saying we do without explaining why they think that is the case. To the extent we need to being a few new players in the sale of Sam Johnstone will free up some money and we quite a lot high earnings departing on free transfers.

As for selling him for £30m. I doubt the board are that stupid.

Look back at last summer and say that again hand on heart.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1541 on: May 14, 2021, 08:13:18 AM »
Not being funny but it's a lot harder to do what Pereira has done surrounded by mediocre players.  The more i see the more i think WBA fans don't truly appreciate what he's achieved in the 2 seasons.  Will go down as an Albion great even if sold in 2 months time. 

Someone like Zaha has been good for Palace for 3 or 4 seasons but has regressed this season, outshone by Eze.  Pereira has more than proved himself in the Premier.

You’ve brought up players like Pogba and Hazards form a few times but forget what they moved off the back off. If anything it proves that nothing is guaranteed and why there’s absolutely zero chance pereira goes for £90m.

There’s then some odd comparison that seems to suggest 3 good months from Pereira is better than four years from Zaha. (Who hasn’t really Been outdone by Eze he’s just the new kid on the block).

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1542 on: May 14, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »
I think a lot of fans will be in for a shock if we sell him and how much we actually get
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1543 on: May 14, 2021, 08:53:32 AM »

It's not hard at all to stand out above mediocre players when you have more ability than them.

My point is no top side will pay anything like what you think (£70M & £90M) for a 25yr old player that has been a stand out in a poor side for 1 season at the top level.

I disagree that Pereira has "more than proved himself in the premier" ..anyone can have 1 good season in a league it's doing it continuously that's key.

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1544 on: May 14, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
It's not hard at all to stand out above mediocre players when you have more ability than them.

My point is no top side will pay anything like what you think (£70M & £90M) for a 25yr old player that has been a stand out in a poor side for 1 season at the top level.

I disagree that Pereira has "more than proved himself in the premier" ..anyone can have 1 good season in a league it's doing it continuously that's key.

Pereira has more goals & assists than Grealish got last year, and he was valued at £80M last Summer.  I think we'd be mad to sell him for under £40M

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1545 on: May 14, 2021, 09:05:41 AM »
Pereira has more goals & assists than Grealish got last year, and he was valued at £80M last Summer.  I think we'd be mad to sell him for under £40M

and Villa didn't get that money for him or, if I remember rightly, no reported bids for him as he's not worth it, same as Pereira isn't a £70m-£90m player.

I think Jacko (might have been someone else) has made a good point much earlier in the thread that if we want to put clubs off then we put a price of around £50M on Periera, no club is going to pay that for him.

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1546 on: May 14, 2021, 09:09:26 AM »
and Villa didn't get that money for him or, if I remember rightly, no reported bids for him as he's not worth it, same as Pereira isn't a £70m-£90m player.

I think Jacko (might have been someone else) has made a good point much earlier in the thread that if we want to put clubs off then we put a price of around £50M on Periera, no club is going to pay that for him.

That would be the best move the club could make I think.  I would offer him Premier League wages to do another year with us in the Championship and then he can leave if we fail to go up or he wants to move on.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1547 on: May 14, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »
Pereira in 2020/21 has achieved the single best performance by an Albion player in last 30 years.  Other contenders would be Phillips 2007/08, Hughes 1998/99, Sneekes 1995/96, Taylor 1992/93.

So much for having a 3 month purple patch!  1st half of the season he was playing with Sawyers and Livermore.

He was the architect of a 2-5 victory away v Champions League finalists.  And he is worth £30m?  Someone talked about Grealish at £80m, he is not inferior to Grealish.

Let's just dumb it down, take £30m, bring in Chris Wilder, swap back Burke & Robinson, bring in Jagielka for free.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1548 on: May 14, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »
Pereira in 2020/21 has achieved the single best performance by an Albion player in last 30 years.  Other contenders would be Phillips 2007/08, Hughes 1998/99, Sneekes 1995/96, Taylor 1992/93.

So much for having a 3 month purple patch!  1st half of the season he was playing with Sawyers and Livermore.

He was the architect of a 2-5 victory away v Champions League finalists.  And he is worth £30m?  Someone talked about Grealish at £80m, he is not inferior to Grealish.

Let's just dumb it down, take £30m, bring in Chris Wilder, swap back Burke & Robinson, bring in Jagielka for free.
Think you need to add Gera , he was brilliant pretty much a whole season in the Great Escape year .
If I was pushed I'd say Gera's season over Pereira's 3 months , Gera played with some limited players too.
We shouldn't be scared of selling for the right price , we should be looking for the next MP.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:42:09 AM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1549 on: May 14, 2021, 09:48:59 AM »
Good point about Gera 2004/05.

The other one is Lukaku, we baulked at £20m, then he was £75m later on.

I don't subscribe to this 3 month period.  What are we expecting George Best/Pele/Messi all rolled into one?

If we accept £30m, we'll regret that decision for the next decade.  All it takes is another Grant & Burke for £15m each and the money has gone.

Furthermore, I'll be a bit pessimistic about promotion next year.