Author Topic: Our squad  (Read 22751 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Our squad
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 11:05:07 AM »
Well
Where to begin...?
Being relegated, not knowing who the manager will be ,COVID , can we move who we want, can we retain who we want?
I’d like rangnick upstairs with lampard or Mcinnes .....but I don’t think that the board would or Frank would want someone “over” him.
I see some of the numbers on here for Pererira and Johnstone .....and I worry about some of you 😀....

For me furlong,O’Shea,Bartley,kipre,Townsend and semi are either more than good enough, or at least good enough if it retains stability and allows focus on more important areas .
Up top how many of you would want to be playing in defence against.....grant,Robinson,Diangana as a three?....more than enough for champ level,and yes of course I’d take Diangana as an upgrade on HRK which then gives us 4 very potent options, but in champ as a sub to hold up and batter defenders , I’d stick with HRK rather than gambling on an unknown .
Midfield.....the area , we need a destroyer, we need a 24 year old yacob, sat next to a 26 year old mulumbu...OKAY would be a dream in the Championship, but he cannot do it alone , I’d be looking.. to reloan Gallagher with a fee in place if we went up......those two are good footballers and another season with us together....they will be prem ready.
Then we need a 10.....I don’t think anyone really thinks the magic man will or should stay .....and that is where a manager like lampard would instantly prove his worth, he got mason mount to derby, so depending on galacher , he could go back for a Chelsea fringe player or even Man City...but generally frank talking to a 19-20 year old future star, is a conversation they will all be open too?
Livermore, sawyers , no one is going to buy or pay their wages, so bench options and run outs in the cup....we will need legs in the Championship war of attrition

I don’t 5hink keepers make that much difference over a season so go with the kids ....put the money on midfielders and I think we will be okay ...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »
Well
Where to begin...?
Being relegated, not knowing who the manager will be ,COVID , can we move who we want, can we retain who we want?
I’d like rangnick upstairs with lampard or Mcinnes .....but I don’t think that the board would or Frank would want someone “over” him.
I see some of the numbers on here for Pererira and Johnstone .....and I worry about some of you 😀....

For me furlong,O’Shea,Bartley,kipre,Townsend and semi are either more than good enough, or at least good enough if it retains stability and allows focus on more important areas .
Up top how many of you would want to be playing in defence against.....grant,Robinson,Diangana as a three?....more than enough for champ level,and yes of course I’d take Diangana as an upgrade on HRK which then gives us 4 very potent options, but in champ as a sub to hold up and batter defenders , I’d stick with HRK rather than gambling on an unknown .
Midfield.....the area , we need a destroyer, we need a 24 year old yacob, sat next to a 26 year old mulumbu...OKAY would be a dream in the Championship, but he cannot do it alone , I’d be looking.. to reloan Gallagher with a fee in place if we went up......those two are good footballers and another season with us together....they will be prem ready.
Then we need a 10.....I don’t think anyone really thinks the magic man will or should stay .....and that is where a manager like lampard would instantly prove his worth, he got mason mount to derby, so depending on galacher , he could go back for a Chelsea fringe player or even Man City...but generally frank talking to a 19-20 year old future star, is a conversation they will all be open too?
Livermore, sawyers , no one is going to buy or pay their wages, so bench options and run outs in the cup....we will need legs in the Championship war of attrition

I don’t 5hink keepers make that much difference over a season so go with the kids ....put the money on midfielders and I think we will be okay ...
I'd much prefer a 24 year old Yokuslu. The best words I've heard Allardyce say was prior to Okay signing and he said we need a defensive midfielder but he has to be able to play as well, see a pass and deliver it. Also if Pereira goes I'd be looking for a genuine attacking midfielder someone who is genuinely a third central midfielder but has an eye for attack and scoring goals....along the lines of a 24 year old James Morrison or 24 year old Stuart Armstrong.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
I think most can agree that the priority areas for strengthening e.g. Midfield and up front. However exactly what that looks like will vary depending on who the Head Coach is. With just a choice between Allardyce and Wilder you are looking at very different players (or at least you should be) before you add a third or fourth coaching option to the mix.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 10:26:02 PM »
Absolutely doesn’t look good minus Yokuslu, Mbaye , Maitland - Niles , Gallagher and MP ! The only area that I believe is covered is GK , thinking that SJ is departing. Palmer , Button and Griffiths should be more than competent. Defensively competition for both full back positions is needed . Midfield I really don’t know where to start centrally. as I don’t think we have a single player capable of a starting role . Striker wise ,again who’s going to guarantee us regular goals ?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 07:30:13 AM »
Absolutely doesn’t look good minus Yokuslu, Mbaye , Maitland - Niles , Gallagher and MP ! The only area that I believe is covered is GK , thinking that SJ is departing. Palmer , Button and Griffiths should be more than competent. Defensively competition for both full back positions is needed . Midfield I really don’t know where to start centrally. as I don’t think we have a single player capable of a starting role . Striker wise ,again who’s going to guarantee us regular goals ?
That's a tricky one but at worst I would hope we'd arrive at the first game with fully fit, energised Robinson, Grant, Diangana and maybe Tulloch. There would be worse striker line-ups in the Championship. I'm not saying we don't need to bring someone else in and we will no doubt be utilising our loans. As Standaman says above though the required mix should be determined by the head coach and style of play.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
If possible I would like to see the players at our club to actually be OUR players
What I mean is no loan players
It causes too many problems when we get promoted next season
I suppose its unrealistic really but we do have a chance to realign our squad and go again

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 08:39:20 AM »
If possible I would like to see the players at our club to actually be OUR players
What I mean is no loan players
It causes too many problems when we get promoted next season
I suppose its unrealistic really but we do have a chance to realign our squad and go again
It's a fair thought but in effect it would mean we'd be tackling the Championship with a weaker squad than we could have. Just remembering the effect of Gayle, Barnes, Diangana and Pereira on our recent Championship campaigns illustrates that.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
Loan to buy is never a bad deal, as long as the buys aren't our only buys if and when we go up!
Allllllll aboard

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »
Regarding loaning players: When Jacob mMrphy came on loan he was truly ineffective and hardly got a tackle in.  He clearly did not want to come and couldn't wait to get back to Newcastle.   Contrast with Gallagher who runs his socks off for us.  Loaning players sometimes looks hit and miss - but it needn't be.  A modern approach would be to psychometrically assess the motives of a loan target.

Whoever comes in next as Manager or DoF, I hope they adopt more up to date practises.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
Regarding loaning players: When Jacob mMrphy came on loan he was truly ineffective and hardly got a tackle in.  He clearly did not want to come and couldn't wait to get back to Newcastle.   Contrast with Gallagher who runs his socks off for us.  Loaning players sometimes looks hit and miss - but it needn't be.  A modern approach would be to psychometrically assess the motives of a loan target.

Whoever comes in next as Manager or DoF, I hope they adopt more up to date practises.
Maybe it's a confidence thing with some players adjusting to new environment. Murphy did have Gayle already here. He had the task of following on from Harvey Barnes but was very disappointing anyway. Maybe it's different with a young player like Barnes hoping to use the experience to accelerate his route to the Leicester first team. Murphy on the other hand had already been signed for quite a bit of money by Newcastle so different club circumstances. There is always going to be an element of hit and miss though....we have done pretty well in recent years in fairness.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »

Ha! I can remember Jacob Murphy driving quickly past me on the Birmingham Road in his customised black Range Rover with two or three young ladies in the vehicle with him. He was breaking his neck to get onto the M5 island and beat the post-match traffic. I don’t even think he’d bothered to warm-down after the final whistle, he was off.

Funny really, that sticking in my mind more so than any of his performances in an Albion shirt. Still, I’m sure he had a more pleasant evening than me that day 😋
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:38:50 PM by PartisanBaggie »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »
Personally I'd be looking at getting an experienced first choice keeper in. A lot of people seem to think that Palmer will be fine but Lincoln still let in 50 goals (the second highest of the top 6 clubs). I know he kept a lot of clean sheets but that's not all down to the keeper. I don't fancy Button first choice either.

Aside from that we need a DCM, a box to box/playmaker , a No 10 and a centre forward. Cover needed at LB and RB

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »
Personally I'd be looking at getting an experienced first choice keeper in. A lot of people seem to think that Palmer will be fine but Lincoln still let in 50 goals (the second highest of the top 6 clubs). I know he kept a lot of clean sheets but that's not all down to the keeper. I don't fancy Button first choice either.

Aside from that we need a DCM, a box to box/playmaker , a No 10 and a centre forward. Cover needed at LB and RB

Last time I checked Hull we had one.

Everyone seems to think that we can sell Sam, make a tidy profit and we already have a replacement lined up. Not so sure myself and we could end up selling an experienced goalkeeper for, well an experienced goalkeeper.
MAGA!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »

I understand what you mean, but I think we can afford to gamble really. If Palmer struggles, Button could step in. With money tight, I think there are other areas to prioritise over goalkeeper and at some stage we will need to put some faith in our academy players.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »
I follow a Twitter account called the other 14, which provides statistics for players from the premier league sides outside the big 6. One thing that has become very clear in the last few months is that the only Albion player that ever features in the top 20 attacking contributions on a week by week basis is Pereira. Without him, there is near enough zero creativity in the current team.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2021, 03:06:50 PM »
Months ago I mentioned that HRK would probably get a contract extension. I don't mean to cause any angst but I don't think his selection for last night's game was to showcase his abilities for potential future employers.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »
Months ago I mentioned that HRK would probably get a contract extension. I don't mean to cause any angst but I don't think his selection for last night's game was to showcase his abilities for potential future employers.

When HRK scored yesterday Dan, I turned to my Dad and let out a deep, sarcastic sigh. I knew in that very moment HRK had probably just secured a 1 year extension to his contract. Never thought I’d feel indifference when the Albion take the lead in a game, until yesterday that is!   â˜¹ï¸

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2021, 07:24:16 PM »
It's difficult to know really until we know who the manager is and how he wants to play.

If it's Sam he'll want a replacement for Yokuslu, AMN and Diagne for starters.  Difficult to comment on any other manager other than Wilder who doesn't play with wingers and whose potential appointment fills me with dread. 

We may be ok in the GK department if Sam J goes but will lack depth and recent experience at Champ level.  Button has only played 14 games in the last 3 seasons but should be ok for a season in the Championship.

There are definitely goals in Grant and Robinson at Championship level though neither are lead the line players so with Diagne, Austin, Zohore (loan?) and probably Kanu gone, we probably need to sign two strikers.  Daryl Dike may be worth looking at if Barnsley don't go up.

Diangana is of great concern. Obviously he's hardly played but when he has (apart from Everton!) looked totally out of his depth and lost.  I simply don't buy into the theory that come 7th August he will be back to his first half of last season's sparkling self.  It goes deeper in my view and he is worryingly fragile and injury-prone.  First half of last season he was arguably as good if not better than Pereira at times.   

As regards the defence, I'm not as confident as some that it'll be 'ok'.  We have conceded 70 goals this season which is almost certain to increase in the last two games (Norwich conceded 75 last season).  Every one of our defenders has a mistake in them nearly every game though Furlong and Townsend have improved since Sam came in. O'Shea can provide full-back cover if necessary. 

It doesn't look as if any of the academy lads are going to make the step up next season but you never know.  Ferguson came out of nowhere. (When is the tribunal going to take place for heaven's sake??!!) 

Possibly the most critical issue is whether Pereira goes.  If he does, it leaves a massive creative hole (and one we couldn't hope to replace with one player)  - he created over 100 chances in the last Championship season in addition to his goals and league high number of assists.  If he stays,  we're pretty much nailed on for promotion, he's that important in my view.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:59:29 AM by WBA »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2021, 10:33:12 PM »
The high number of goals conceded inevitably tends to reflect on the defence but is in no small part due to a very fragile midfield setup in the first half of the season.
Sawyers and Livermore as a central 2 with No.10 Pereira in front of them centrally (undeniably a very talented attacking No. 10 but definitely not the ideal player to drop back in and muck in with the midfield fight when we are being outnumbered/overrun by better sides). This setup contributed to our goals conceded and to SJ being in the top two for number of saves also. It also led to Pereira often being shifted wider to accommodate an extra midfielder.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2021, 10:41:49 PM »
could we do a Man city in the chumps?? By which I mean go without a CF.

A front line of Robinson / Grant / Diangana inter-changing would surely terrorise Chumps defences
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2021, 11:47:43 PM »
I'd much prefer a 24 year old Yokuslu. The best words I've heard Allardyce say was prior to Okay signing and he said we need a defensive midfielder but he has to be able to play as well, see a pass and deliver it. Also if Pereira goes I'd be looking for a genuine attacking midfielder someone who is genuinely a third central midfielder but has an eye for attack and scoring goals....along the lines of a 24 year old James Morrison or 24 year old Stuart Armstrong.

I think we're all thinking ahead of ourselves to some extent.

What we've  currently got and which is not good enough currently - the likes of Diangana, Grant, Sawyers et al will be comfortably good enough for next season and will make us competitive and moreso.

Problem is is when we go up again...

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2021, 10:21:19 AM »

What we've  currently got and which is not good enough currently - the likes of Diangana, Grant, Sawyers et al will be comfortably good enough for next season and will make us competitive and moreso.

Of course we are speculating. My post was commenting on the midfield area which we can be pretty certain we'll be losing 3 current first team starters from as they are all on loan and very unlikely to be here come August.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2021, 11:18:14 AM »

Yep, but you can't plan for the PL until you are there!    I watched some of the play off semi final yesterday.   The difference in quality between that game and ours was stark.   Barnsley's sole tactic seemed to be to run around dementedly and kick the ball forward.  One piece of quality won the game.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2021, 02:48:51 PM »
could we do a Man city in the chumps?? By which I mean go without a CF.

A front line of Robinson / Grant / Diangana inter-changing would surely terrorise Chumps defences

Yes that could work,  similar to Barnes-JRod-Gayle - depends on the manager though, if Sam I feel sure he'll want a Diagne type. 

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »
Yes that could work,  similar to Barnes-JRod-Gayle - depends on the manager though, if Sam I feel sure he'll want a Diagne type.

Is it similar? Either JRod or Gayle can both lead the line from that 3, none of the mentioned 3 are recognised centre forwards. Sam or whoever will surely want a round peg in a round hole.
Allllllll aboard