Author Topic: Expected Goals for and Against under Bilic vs Allardyce  (Read 323 times)

Seagy

• Youth Baggie

Expected Goals for and Against under Bilic vs Allardyce
« on: March 06, 2021, 01:56:05 PM »
So now both managers have had a similar number of games I thought I would do a comparison of how we fare in the xG and xG Agaisnt statistics. i.e Rating the quality of chances we create and concede in any match.

ManagerNo. of gamesxGxG/GamexGAgaisntxGAgaisnt per game
Bilic
Allardyce

So not much of a defensive difference overall has been made in terms of chances we concede, a minor improvement.

But on the Offensive side we are creating higher quality of chances since Allardyce has come in.

Most of the chances we are creating recently are falling to Diagne who so far has 1 goal but the chances that he has had he would have been expected to score at least 3, with his xG at 3.66. But based on what I've seen of him so far I think he will start putting away goals and his goals will finish more in line with his xG.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:20:53 PM by OldburyWBA »

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

Re: Expected Goals for and Agaisnt under Bilic vs Allardyce
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 02:23:29 PM »
You can have all the stats you want but if Sheffield Utd win today we will be bottom when we kick off !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 02:50:26 PM »
So now both managers have had a similar number of games I thought I would do a comparison of how we fare in the xG and xG Agaisnt statistics. i.e Rating the quality of chances we create and concede in any match.

ManagerNo. of gamesxGxG/GamexGAgaisntxGAgaisnt per game
Bilic
Allardyce

So not much of a defensive difference overall has been made in terms of chances we concede, a minor improvement.

But on the Offensive side we are creating higher quality of chances since Allardyce has come in.

Most of the chances we are creating recently are falling to Diagne who so far has 1 goal but the chances that he has had he would have been expected to score at least 3, with his xG at 3.66. But based on what I've seen of him so far I think he will start putting away goals and his goals will finish more in line with his xG.

Do you have xG per shot, by any chance? My hunch is we create fewer chances but each is higher quality under Allardyce, but it would be interesting to see if it stacks up.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:00:36 PM by MarkW »
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Seagy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 03:09:41 PM »
Do you have xG per shot, by any chance? My hunch is we create fewer chances but each is higher quality under Allardyce, but it would be interesting to see if it stacks up.

Non penalty xG per shot per game:
Bilic 0.07
Allardyce 0.10

Shots total
Bilic 122   
Allaryce 89   

Shots per game
Bilic 9.38
Allardyce 6.36

non penalty xG per shot total

Shots on Target per game average
Bilic 3
Allardyce 2.36
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:12:57 PM by Seagy »

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 03:12:29 PM »
Thanks, Seagy. Seems to support my theory, don't you think?

Seagy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »
Thanks, Seagy. Seems to support my theory, don't you think?

I think so, I'd be interested to see if I can find stats on how many more set piece chances we have created and how many headed chances we've created Before and After Bilic.

Also linked to that, how many shots inside the box we have had before and after.

Overall watching us play under Allardyce hasn't been as bad in the last few games as I thought it would be, agaisnt Everton we mixed it up playing patiently out through midfield and sometimes going long up front. I think we have a much better balance now and I was a massive fan of Bilic previously.

If we are going to establish ourselves as a premier league club creating chances in games however we can is important. The only thing I'm worried about is how we set ourselves up after we take the lead at the moment, we invite the opposition on and let them play too much and the xGAgaisnt stats are not improving enough.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Expected Goals for and Against under Bilic vs Allardyce
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 07:32:26 PM »
I would be interested to see an Allardyce comparison both before the transfer window and after.

Appreciate that might be a pain in the backside  ;D

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom