Author Topic: David Button leaves Albion 8/8/23  (Read 58108 times)

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

Re: David Button
« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2023, 01:08:41 AM »
 ;D Has to put Josh in goal....he will probably play brilliantly and we will have all the stress disappear.

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2023, 07:23:30 AM »
I am guessing Button will be in goal, although I would have thought Carlos would have announced it, to temper the reaction from fans if announced directly before the game. All I can say is when he runs towards the Brummie when the teams come out, there is no booing and he is given a confidence boosting round of applause.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2023, 08:22:38 AM »
It does feel a lot like the blooding of Palmer earlier in the season whereby people thought he may well not be up to it as he was mid 20's and had yet to stake a claim and, other than the howler against Millwall for one of their goals, he has been superb for us, so hopefully it will be the same story for Griffiths, but either way, it will do no one any favours whatsoever for Button to be in goal tonight. If Griffiths is in and spills the ball in the first few minutes, the fans will back him and encourage him whereas if Button does likewise, it will set the tone for the entire evening, such is the toxicity that has emerged, and rightly so sadly, toward him due to his performances.

Button should spend the rest of the season warming the bench for us at best and a parting of the ways needs to happen in the summer.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2023, 09:14:56 AM »
If he picks Button it could very nasty if he cocks up again.

We know Button isn't good enough. We don't know whether Griffith's is on the other hand.

Seems like a no brainer. Emphasis on seems

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2023, 09:31:45 AM »
Am I right in thinking that Griffiths has always been rated above Palmer by the coaches? If so then no reason why he can't be thrown in. He has almost 100 senior games under his belt already.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2023, 09:57:50 AM »
Am I right in thinking that Griffiths has always been rated above Palmer by the coaches? If so then no reason why he can't be thrown in. He has almost 100 senior games under his belt already.
113 since 2020, Button has played 24 in the same period.

It really is a no brainer.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2023, 11:11:31 AM »
Better to throw Griffiths in for a home game first up.  Also, I shudder to think of the reception Button will get if he plays.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2023, 11:23:40 AM »
Better to throw Griffiths in for a home game first up.  Also, I shudder to think of the reception Button will get if he plays.

Nervous. Which transmits to the pitch. Players are human beings they absolutely have to be lacking in confidence in front of Button.

When I've seen Griffiths he's looked well below standard to me but I think he has to play tonight. These are desperate times.

Hopefully he'll look better behind a better quality defence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2023, 11:31:49 AM »

Good point. It's possible it won't be pleasant if Button is picked full stop. It wil be tense and edgy

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2023, 12:15:55 PM »
As mentioned if Button plays the crowd will be edgy the players will be edgy how are we going to be able to perform in such conditions?
Next season we have to make sure that an injury to one player doesn't leave us in a crisis like the current situation.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #485 on: February 15, 2023, 12:23:53 PM »
Has to be Griffiths, playing Button tonight is just delaying the inevitable, there is no way DB is going to transform into a passable keeper now for the duration of Palmers absence, as soon as the inevitable happens the crowd will be on his back and the team suffers.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #486 on: February 15, 2023, 01:00:51 PM »
As mentioned if Button plays the crowd will be edgy the players will be edgy how are we going to be able to perform in such conditions?
Next season we have to make sure that an injury to one player doesn't leave us in a crisis like the current situation.

Playing Button in effect means our centre halves have to deal with absolutely everything because there is no trust in the goalkeeper to come and help them out.

We cannot have the anxiety running around the ground as they approach our box. Its not good for Button, the other players nor the supporters.

The reaction against Coventry - though it meant well and showed a good spirit amongst the group - said everything we need to know about their opinions of him
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #487 on: February 15, 2023, 01:13:10 PM »

Presumably in a similar fashion to our last home game. The manager isn't going to let fan sentiment dictate his team selection and the crowd should be getting behind the team tonight, regardless of who the keeper is.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2023, 01:57:44 PM »

Great point about Josh.
Gera, Gera, Gera

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #489 on: February 15, 2023, 01:57:50 PM »
Playing Button in effect means our centre halves have to deal with absolutely everything because there is no trust in the goalkeeper to come and help them out.

We cannot have the anxiety running around the ground as they approach our box. Its not good for Button, the other players nor the supporters.

The reaction against Coventry - though it meant well and showed a good spirit amongst the group - said everything we need to know about their opinions of him
Which, in turn, puts pressure on the midfield and thus stifles the forwards, which is what happened against Blues, even before the first goal.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #490 on: February 15, 2023, 03:12:32 PM »
If he plays Button I will lose faith in Carlos and question him. For me it will be up there with Di Mateos decision to play the kids and reserves in the quarters of the cup.

Do the right thing Carlos.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #491 on: February 15, 2023, 03:14:29 PM »
In fairness we also have to consider David Buttons mental health right now. He must feel he is at the bottom of a very deep hole and will be dreading his next appearance. He needs resting for his own sake.....and ours.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #492 on: February 15, 2023, 05:13:13 PM »
Just hope Button doesn't throw his head in his hands when CC tells him he isn't playing.
He'll probably drop it!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #493 on: February 15, 2023, 05:33:45 PM »
In fairness we also have to consider David Buttons mental health right now. He must feel he is at the bottom of a very deep hole and will be dreading his next appearance. He needs resting for his own sake.....and ours.
Spot on mate. Whatever happens, if he plays and fouls up again, I am sure that will be his last, and I hope we as a crowd show a bit of sympathy. He didn't give himself a 2 year contract , and he doesn't pick the team. One thing is for sure there will be mistakes all over the pitch tonight.
COYB.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2023, 06:54:26 PM »
Exactly my feelings.
I don't for a minute think Carlos will play him.
If he does then let it be on his conscious !?

shilton1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #495 on: February 15, 2023, 07:13:19 PM »
That's Button finished at the club then. Happy that Griffiths has been picked over him.

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #496 on: February 15, 2023, 07:31:37 PM »
That's Button finished at the club then. Happy that Griffiths has been picked over him.

I've knocked the bloke as a footballer, but after contemplation, I feel for the bloke. He's obviously shook, I dont know where he goes from here to be honest. I hope he has managed to save some money. 
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #497 on: February 15, 2023, 07:34:09 PM »
I've knocked the bloke as a footballer, but after contemplation, I feel for the bloke. He's obviously shook, I dont know where he goes from here to be honest. I hope he has managed to save some money.

A sending off and he will back in. I dread the thought.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #498 on: February 15, 2023, 07:36:42 PM »
I'm glad Button isn't playing but wish him well in the future.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #499 on: February 15, 2023, 10:06:50 PM »
Correct decision to leave him out tonight . I’d say after tonight’s performance the jury is out on Griffith .