Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 605810 times)

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #4350 on: May 10, 2021, 09:44:09 PM »
I don’t. His terms are likely to get us promoted..

I’d suggest if Allardyce is in charge our best hope will be via the play offs as we won’t win enough games to secure automatic promotion.

Whilst Sheffield United have been very poor this season it’s unlikely they will make the wholesale changes Fulham and ourselves will make.
Fulham will also spend far money in their search for a quick return.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4351 on: May 10, 2021, 10:13:03 PM »
Personally I don’t care how we go up as long as we do.

Allardyce is our best bet at achieving that when you consider the other options.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4352 on: May 10, 2021, 10:22:16 PM »
How on earth have you concluded that they enjoyed losing for Bilic but didn’t for Allardyce? Seems like speculation to me.

They may well have been sulking a little after Bilic left but I would suspect they’ve enjoyed the last 10 games far more than the first 10.

Allardyce’s first four home games we managed to lose 17-0 and in between got knocked out of the fa cup at Blackpool. The prior four home games finished 6-2 (includes the Palace game which similar to villa game in that we got a red card early and then hammered) but it included four points being picked up. We couldn’t even score a goal under Big Sam’s new tactics. That run of humiliating results at home is astonishing and it was obvious the players hated every minute of what had gone on and what they were being asked to do.

No doubt we improved February onwards after the new signings came in but it was too late.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4353 on: May 11, 2021, 01:22:26 AM »
Small piece on Sam just gone online by the Mirror saying as expected wants to know who's going and who isn't. Cant discuss it here of course but there's also a comment on who they are likely to turn too if they break from Sam if you are interested

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4354 on: May 11, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »
Sam won't be here. I would be staggered if we agree on his demands on Wednesday.
He will be asking for phenomenal wages and bonuses, plus assurances.

We have to make it worth his while and I just cannot see it as we will be in penny pinching mode.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4355 on: May 11, 2021, 10:36:59 AM »
Sam won't be here. I would be staggered if we agree on his demands on Wednesday.
He will be asking for phenomenal wages and bonuses, plus assurances.

We have to make it worth his while and I just cannot see it as we will be in penny pinching mode.

I kinda of agree with that, we'll know exactly how serious the board are if they pull the plug on Sam and go for a cheap option.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4356 on: May 11, 2021, 10:41:05 AM »

Allardyce is our best bet at achieving that when you consider the other options.
Not sure how you can say that when you don’t know what the other options are
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4357 on: May 11, 2021, 10:55:04 AM »
I kinda of agree with that, we'll know exactly how serious the board are if they pull the plug on Sam and go for a cheap option.
who constitutes a cheap option?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4358 on: May 11, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
who constitutes a cheap option?

In this scenario anyone who isn't Allardyce.  The point is if Allardyce walks it's because we have not matched his ambition to get promoted in year one.

That should be extremely worrying to all of us if it transpires.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4359 on: May 11, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
I don’t fully see it as a case that Allardyce going = the club have no ambition to get promoted.

Allardyce and Albion will have the same aim of an immediate return to the premier league, but while the board need to also factor in planning for the 2022/23 season (in the event of us falling short), Allardyce will know that failure to get up next season probably means he leaves, so the decisions he may favour could well be very short termist.

Palace for instance are probably going to release a handful of players who have been the bedrock of their side in recent years - players there under Allardyce’s reign. Allardyce might look at Townsend, McCarthey, Schlupp, Van Aanholt, Cahill and Kelly and say they have it in them to still be very effective at a top championship side next year. They are all getting towards the twilight of their careers and will want significant wages, but Allardyce will ultimately only really care about next season - **** or bust.

The club on the other hand might need to consider if it is right to lay all of their eggs in one basket and gamble on next season at the detriment of having a decent chance in the second season, should it be needed. They might want to invest in younger players again who will still play a part the year after.

It’s hard to predict what Allardyce will want, but there is an entirely possible scenario that the money will be there for players to the level Allardyce would want, but maybe not the level of control.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:28:40 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4360 on: May 11, 2021, 12:35:27 PM »
In this scenario anyone who isn't Allardyce.  The point is if Allardyce walks it's because we have not matched his ambition to get promoted in year one.

Or that he's asking for more money than we think is reasonable?
Or that he asks for a huge promotion bonus.
Or that he wants certain players out of the club regardless of price.
Or that he wants to have more say over transfers and agents than we're willing to relinquish.
Or that he doesn't feel like doing a season in the Championship.

I doubt any of those are true but there's loads of reasons why he might not stay - not just the club taking a cheap option.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4361 on: May 11, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »

What are the other options?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4362 on: May 11, 2021, 12:39:20 PM »
Or that he wants to have more say over transfers and agents than we're willing to relinquish.

I doubt any of those are true but there's loads of reasons why he might not stay - not just the club taking a cheap option.

No disrespect here, but how long have you been a fan?
We always take the cheap option.
The board even put a bet on at the bookies before the 68 cup final so that if we won, the bet would cover the win bonus
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4363 on: May 11, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »

These will be an issue. Trust me, we will not meet his demands. We have paid him a fortune this year.

The other option you have missed out- is a new owner who doesn't want him...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:44:40 PM by MarkW »
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4364 on: May 11, 2021, 02:23:58 PM »

Or maybe they won't think he's worth what he is demanding, because you know, he hasn't delivered on what he said he would.
"You'll never get past Claudio"

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4365 on: May 11, 2021, 02:29:09 PM »
These will be an issue. Trust me, we will not meet his demands. We have paid him a fortune this year.

Or alternatively - a new owner who insisted on him.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4366 on: May 11, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
I'd rather we look to bring someone in who can work on a tight budget, scout the hidden gems and bring through the youngsters. I can't see Allardyce doing any of these. He's always spent wherever he's been and will want a large budget to stay.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4367 on: May 11, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »

wasn’t the report that part of the reason Sam was brought here was because a potential owner wanted him here?

BelgianBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #4368 on: May 11, 2021, 04:07:32 PM »
I'd rather we look to bring someone in who can work on a tight budget, scout the hidden gems and bring through the youngsters.

Exactly.  How hard can it be?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4369 on: May 11, 2021, 04:09:18 PM »
At his age, he might be driven by short term thinking.  So he gets a big fat salary and bonus and complete control over player spending (dangerous) buys old-pro players with max two years in them.  If he gets us promoted, he leaves because he knows he's exhausted our money. 
Leaving us in the same position as we entered the 20-21 season or worse. 

If he doesn't get the blank cheque he demands, then he walks away muttering about lack of ambition.  In the football world ambition = (wild) spending of other people's money
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4370 on: May 11, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »
Or maybe they won't think he's worth what he is demanding, because you know, he hasn't delivered on what he said he would.

what did he say he would do?

BelgianBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #4371 on: May 11, 2021, 04:11:05 PM »
At his age, he might be driven by short term thinking.  So he gets a big fat salary and bonus and complete control over player spending (dangerous) buys old-pro players with max two years in them.  If he gets us promoted, he leaves because he knows he's exhausted our money. 
Leaving us in the same position as we entered the 20-21 season or worse. 

If he doesn't get the blank cheque he demands, then he walks away muttering about lack of ambition.  In the football world ambition = (wild) spending of other people's money
Or he might not.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4372 on: May 11, 2021, 04:16:12 PM »
I've been totally knackered by the last few years roller coaster and I can't get my head round whether I want him to stay as our best short term bounceback option, or whether I'd rather do a Norwich and find a younger man with the staying power for a five year plan to rebuild with the hidden gems referred to above.  Maybe its the Covid and the issue that shall not be named as well, but I am really unable to work out what I think is best here.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4373 on: May 11, 2021, 04:17:57 PM »
Has he not already signed a contract for 18 months with a break if we don't go up?
I know it is football but really he has failed ( I well understand the reasons why)
So really is it his £££ or the control of the team more the issue?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4374 on: May 11, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »
Has he not already signed a contract for 18 months with a break if we don't go up?
I know it is football but really he has failed ( I well understand the reasons why)
So really is it his £££ or the control of the team more the issue?

It's a break at the end of this season if we didn't stay up. But yes, he's contracted for another 12 months.

He/him