Author Topic: New off topic forum  (Read 5715 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

New off topic forum
« on: March 08, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
As previously warned the off topic forum has been under review and decision made to remove it and replace with the new forum where topics will be allowed at our discretion.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: New off topic forum
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:39:12 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to post a list of what is allowed to be debated/discussed?
I'm sure that list would be smaller than what's not allowed to be mentioned.
I think this forum is slowly but surely starting to reflect our sanitised pc culture in general, and sorry but to me that is at the detriment of the forum.
Awaits the, 'if you don't like it go to facebook/twitter...........or whatever' standard response.
Fact is I don't bother with any of that rubbish
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to post a list of what is allowed to be debated/discussed?
I'm sure that list would be smaller than what's not allowed to be mentioned.
I think this forum is slowly but surely starting to reflect our sanitised pc culture in general, and sorry but to me that is at the detriment of the forum.
Awaits the, 'if you don't like it go to facebook/twitter...........or whatever' standard response.
Fact is I don't bother with any of that rubbish
Some valid points you have made there.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:34:46 PM »
I think there is a discussion to be had if Admin are interested.

I suspect not, which is a shame.

Clearly there seems to be a contrast between the wants of the mods and the wants of the members.

Without each other there is no board.

I don't do "off topic" to be honest but I do care about Westbrom.com and I'd like to appeal to those that run this board to engage in reasonable conversation with its members re. the way forward.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 01:03:42 PM »
I think there is a discussion to be had if Admin are interested.

I suspect not, which is a shame.

Clearly there seems to be a contrast between the wants of the mods and the wants of the members.

Without each other there is no board.

I don't do "off topic" to be honest but I do care about Westbrom.com and I'd like to appeal to those that run this board to engage in reasonable conversation with its members re. the way forward.

I suspect the mods are policing on the advice of the site owner, though I do feel that sometimes they take it to the enth degree and sometimes very heavy handed

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 01:49:05 PM »
I suspect the mods are policing on the advice of the site owner, though I do feel that sometimes they take it to the enth degree and sometimes very heavy handed

The site owner appears to be similar to Guochuan Lai. We all know he exists but he's never sighted.

I would question what he actually gets out of running this site?

Again, discussion would be good, transparency.  Why not work together for the good of his site?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:33:06 PM by Atomic »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 01:59:02 PM »
Have to agree. I get that abusive or nasty posts shouldn't be allowed but I've had a few deleted that were just a bit of light hearted fun.
It's a bit frustrating to be told off for being silly at 50 years old.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »
Ultimately, if glenn or the owners are prepared to pay out there own pocket for us to have somewhere to discuss all things albion, im happy for all things not albion to be off the table. The brexit thread was just right vs left in the end, the coronavirus has gone that way a few times before being cleaned up, we are just going round in circles and weve had ample warnings. I dont blame them in the slightest.

Yours, bootesph b. bootlicker  ;D

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »
Ultimately, if glenn or the owners are prepared to pay out there own pocket for us to have somewhere to discuss all things albion, im happy for all things not albion to be off the table. The brexit thread was just right vs left in the end, the coronavirus has gone that way a few times before being cleaned up, we are just going round in circles and weve had ample warnings. I dont blame them in the slightest.

Yours, bootesph b. bootlicker  ;D

Check ya nose in the mirror

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 02:15:15 AM »
I expected some not to be happy with the decision but its not something that I just decided overnight to do, the warnings have been in place for a long time. It started as a politics section but people couldn't debate as adults and too many were just coming onto the forum to go straight to that section and totally ignored the football parts which is why people joined here in the first place.

We then decided to make it non politics but again the same things happened. I put topics warning that if people couldn't act as adults or if members were only going to use those sections then it would go, some ignored it and so the section has gone.

Its not open for discussion, this is a football forum and will stay that way from now on so it won't be coming back.

I would like to add though that it is bugger all to do with cancel culture and all that *****, it is to do with the fact that that section takes more moderating than the rest of the site put together.

I would also like to add it is not a decision of the site owner but a decision I made personally, I was asked by Glenn a good number of years ago to run this forum for him which I do along with the rest of the team backing me up (admittedly over the past few months they have been more active than myself as I have not been able to spend as much time on here) but I do receive all the reported posts, I do see all the deleted posts and I do see the warnings given and ignored by members.

Do I get it right all the time? No I don't but I make the decisions that I think best and this is one that has been coming for along time and so was not taken lightly.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:29:20 AM by OldburyWBA »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 02:21:53 AM »
The site owner appears to be similar to Guochuan Lai. We all know he exists but he's never sighted.

I would question what he actually gets out of running this site?

Again, discussion would be good, transparency.  Why not work together for the good of his site?

Not that its any of anyone's business but Glenn funds the site, takes care of all the tech stuff and asked me to run it for him a few years ago as he cannot devote the time needed to do so.

Not sure why any decisions have to be approved by members, we don't ask permission to put anything on so why do we need permission to remove anything?

Its nothing to do with the wants of the mods etc, as explained in previous post decision was made due to the reasons given. If anyone had an issue then they had an opportunity to either speak up or do something then.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:25:38 AM by OldburyWBA »