Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 312578 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #1050 on: August 26, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »
Shocking window at the moment - symptomatic of the club since Ashworth left - no planning at all
If we do go up, and despite the strong start, I’m not sure that’s a given, how many of the current crop are good enough ?

Johnstone, Furlong, possibly Bartley, Mowatt, possibly Robinson - 5 players - meaning we would need to sign around 10 Prem quality players - at a conservative £10m per player that’s a £100m - never going to happen

Club need to start looking 5 years down the line, rather than just short term loans and stop gaps
Good post blindreferee, I'm replying here as discussions not relating to specific players on the Rumours & Tat thread can sometimes take that thread off on a tangent.

It's worth revisiting what Ken said on the day that Valerien was appointed:

"Success is earned by building on strong foundations, and our plans must now look further into the future. For too long we have focused only on what is immediately in front of us. This means we have often neglected our long-term aspirations.

“We are all aware of what will be required in order to be successful and player recruitment will be of the utmost importance. Valérien and I will immediately focus on preparing the squad for the new season, working together with Ian Pearce, our Head of Recruitment, to secure talented transfer targets who will strengthen us for the challenges ahead, ensuring fans are once more proud to support this great club.
"

I think it's fair to say that what's happened during the transfer window since then doesn't back up what he said. I think the comments he made clearly imply that there would be more transfer activity (and of higher quality players) than there has been so far.

Just over 5 days left for Ken to demonstrate that he's true to his word....

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: August 26, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
I think when Ken talks of "further into the future" and "neglecting our longer term aspirations", he intends more than a couple of seasons away.  This and VI's  contract duration means don't expect to get immediate promotion.  We've seen what happens with that already.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1052 on: August 26, 2021, 04:46:48 PM »
Congratulations to both Dara O'Shea and Sam Johnstone following their international call ups. We don't need the squad thinned further by injury, stay safe for yourselves and for us too.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1053 on: August 26, 2021, 05:29:05 PM »
I think when Ken talks of "further into the future" and "neglecting our longer term aspirations", he intends more than a couple of seasons away.  This and VI's  contract duration means don't expect to get immediate promotion.  We've seen what happens with that already.
Well, if we don't get promoted and having just sold our most valuable asset, one wonders where exactly the money's going to come from down the line to "secure talented transfer targets" that are going to "[ensure] fans are once more proud to support this great club"?

Blowee

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1054 on: August 26, 2021, 06:12:33 PM »
Val has just made it clear that we still have to sell before we can buy! How can this be so? How many more players can we release? 15 have left not including the academy players. Surely we had a competitive budget. This seems totally ridiculous - we have such a small squad. Why can't we replace some of the players who have left?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1055 on: August 26, 2021, 06:51:14 PM »

Well, if we don't get promoted and having just sold our most valuable asset, one wonders where exactly the money's going to come from down the line to "secure talented transfer targets" that are going to "[ensure] fans are once more proud to support this great club"?

I'm actually agreeing .  Where are the young signings that are going to serve us into the future?  "plan further into the future"  does look a little like manaňa, manaňa/ long grass treatment.  Five days to prove us wrong. 
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1056 on: August 26, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »
I'm actually agreeing.
Oh I know, I wsn't trying to shoot the messenger!  :)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1057 on: August 27, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
Strongest XI
                     Johnstone
            O’Shea Bartley Clarke
Furlong Molumby Mowatt Townsend
         Diangana Robinson Grant

Back up XI
                         Button
               Kipre Taylor Ajayi
Ingram Livermore Snodgrass Reach
          Phillips Hugill Tulloch

Don’t think there’s many stronger squads, only Fulham IMO

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1058 on: August 27, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
I'm wondering what that first 11 average age is anybody know?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1059 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:56 PM »
Off the top of my head the average age of the first XI posted by Baggie96 would be 25 which is going to be the youngest it's been for a while.

Updated squad list with most recent additions added. I have also put in all the youngsters who featured against Arsenal. These take the squad to 30 in total. There are 21 with at least 50 Senior appearances under their belt and while that leaves 9 rookies bulking out the squad in most instances they are the third choice option.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aIdEpp_djK9s8DmZxUa1m3I4X9hpv-gSFz9EuHNSiKk/edit
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1060 on: August 28, 2021, 10:38:16 AM »
That is an excellent graphic Stan, thanks! The stand out concern there is back up for Furlong, I think OShea can provide defensive cover but we lose a lot offensively if Darnell is out , this needs prioritising imo
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:32:42 AM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1061 on: August 28, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »
Off the top of my head the average age of the first XI posted by Baggie96 would be 25 which is going to be the youngest it's been for a while.

Updated squad list with most recent additions added. I have also put in all the youngsters who featured against Arsenal. These take the squad to 30 in total. There are 21 with at least 50 Senior appearances under their belt and while that leaves 9 rookies bulking out the squad in most instances they are the third choice option.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aIdEpp_djK9s8DmZxUa1m3I4X9hpv-gSFz9EuHNSiKk/edit

The squad is looking a lot healthier with last week's additions. You would say RWB (though Ingram looked decent going forward) and a first choice striker are now important but can't see anybody coming in unless Zohore goes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1062 on: August 28, 2021, 12:00:34 PM »

Is Fellows missing? He started ahead of Richards so I’d imagine that means he’s ahead in VIs thoughts.

Personally I think the version without all the kids is a better snap shot. It’s unlikely we will see a few of those kids even make the bench again this season let alone play any minutes

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1063 on: August 28, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »
I've added Fellows. I pretty sure that there won't be kid armageddon this season but there will be some youngsters being involved in the squad I don't know which ones to date and while the window is still open a few may yet leave on loan will update as we go along. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Skeeny1

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1064 on: August 28, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »

This is great and good to see our average age looks a lot more youthful than in past years. This is the first time I’ve clocked that Clark is only 24, thought he was pushing 30!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1065 on: August 28, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
I've added Fellows. I pretty sure that there won't be kid armageddon this season but there will be some youngsters being involved in the squad I don't know which ones to date and while the window is still open a few may yet leave on loan will update as we go along.

On the early showings/looking at the gaps, I'd say Taylor Gardner-Hickman is in the diving seat after Tulloch, with Castro and maybe Taylor behind him. I'd be very surprised if we see any of the others now, atleast in the first half of the season.

Boing Boing

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1066 on: August 28, 2021, 02:45:36 PM »
Thanks for that age info Stan

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1067 on: August 29, 2021, 02:46:14 PM »
Last night shows our strongest defence is quite clearly now

Johnstone

O'Shea   Ajayi   Clarke

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1068 on: August 30, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »
That Valerien would rather play Townsend out of position as a centre-back than bring on Taylor seems to suggest that he might only be willing to use at least some of the academy players as a last resort. If that's the case, our squad is still well short in depth of the required standard. As someone who feels that a player should only be required cover multiple positions as a desperate last resort, I think we still need:

1 x left-sided CB
1 x RWB (there is no cover apart from taking someone away from another position)
1 x CM (Castro looks to be well short of having what's needed to play in the system at present)
1 x CF (which would probably require Zohore to leave)

Given the disjointed performance in the Peterborough game, there's a question mark over how effective the system is going to be when we don't have our first choice XI out, which is going to be the case quite frequently if we're being honest. Valerien has stated that his system is only as good as the weakest link in it. Therefore I think we'll be taking an almighty risk if we don't bring more good quality players in before tomorrow's deadline.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 01:58:44 PM by WorcsWBA »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1069 on: August 30, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
That is an excellent graphic Stan, thanks! The stand out concern there is back up for Furlong, I think OShea can provide defensive cover but we lose a lot offensively if Darnell is out , this needs prioritising imo

I think the cover is Ethan Ingram - who has performed well whenever I’ve seen him.

O’Shea should remain in the back three - he’s been colossus so far this season.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1070 on: August 30, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
I think the cover is Ethan Ingram - who has performed well whenever I’ve seen him.

O’Shea should remain in the back three - he’s been colossus so far this season.

I think Gardner-Hickman is also an option at RWB, I'm not sure but I think Ingram and him were right backs in the youth set up?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1071 on: August 30, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
I think Gardner-Hickman is also an option at RWB, I'm not sure but I think Ingram and him were right backs in the youth set up?

Gardner-Hickman plays on the right normally but we have been using him on the left since Val took over.

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1072 on: August 30, 2021, 02:19:07 PM »
surely phillips is the right wing back cover?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1073 on: August 30, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
Would that be when he's playing as a centre forward or as a right-sided forward? You don't see a potential issue with one player covering multiple positions?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1074 on: August 30, 2021, 09:55:21 PM »
I think Phillips is wasted at RWB. He is best when he is able to run with the ball inside and attack the opposition penalty box from there. Even though he set up yesterday's winner from a right wing position.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure