Author Topic: Kyle Bartley  (Read 228220 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Kyle Bartley
« Reply #700 on: August 05, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
For the love of God.

Why are rewarding utter dross with new deals? How many goals this bloke has given away since we signed him...shocking.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #701 on: August 05, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »
Replacing Bartley was never going to be a priority this summer, the extra year gives us an additional 12 months to identify and sign his replacement.

Both Bartley and Phillips should have been quietly released at the end of this season. Same goes for Livermore who I'm desperately hoping won't be announced next.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #702 on: August 05, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
Both Bartley and Phillips should have been quietly released at the end of this season. Same goes for Livermore who I'm desperately hoping won't be announced next.

It's going to be hard enough to get the couple of players in that we really need, releasing players who are adequate for the level we're currently at will only make this summer more difficult. Given it's obvious we haven't got a pot to **** in.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 05:43:20 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #703 on: August 05, 2021, 03:08:45 PM »
It's going to be hard enough to get the couple of players in that we really need, releasing players who are adequate for the level we're currently at will only make this summer more difficult. Given it's obvious we haven't got a pot to **** in.

He meant at the end of the season about to start when we will hopefully be back in the Premier League and will now be carrying two players who have been proven not able to perform at that level.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 05:43:35 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #704 on: August 05, 2021, 03:09:18 PM »

They wouldn't have been out of contract until summer 2022... nothing to do with what's happening now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 05:43:50 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #705 on: August 05, 2021, 03:09:22 PM »

That'll be the Pereira money spent. £5.67 million on each of Phillips, Bartley and Livermore for wages and signing on fees. What more do you want ;)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #706 on: August 05, 2021, 03:12:17 PM »
That'll be the Pereira money spent. £5.67 million on each of Phillips, Bartley and Livermore for wages and signing on fees. What more do you want ;)

Just wait until Sam Johnstone signs his new deal, the fan will be hit with the full contents of a slurry machine on max output  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #707 on: August 05, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »
Just wait until Sam Johnstone signs his new deal, the fan will be hit with the full contents of a slurry machine on max output  ;D .

An extension for Johnstone actually makes sense though despite it being a dismal outcome in comparison to a sale.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #708 on: August 05, 2021, 03:14:39 PM »
An extension for Johnstone actually makes sense though despite it being a dismal outcome in comparison to a sale.

Agreed, at least there is value in retaining his contract. No one else would want Bartley or Phillips on anything other than a free, Awful business

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #709 on: August 05, 2021, 03:15:35 PM »
They wouldn't have been out of contract until summer 2022... nothing to do with what's happening now.

Yes, of course... my bad.

An extra 12 months for Bartley who can fill a squad position should be promoted isn't the worst thing in the world. Certainly isn't going to be costing the earth.

Don't hold your breath r.e Livermore, Val appears to be a big fan.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #710 on: August 05, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »
He meant at the end of the season about to start when we will hopefully be back in the Premier League and will now be carrying two players who have been proven not able to perform at that level.
Exactly this, not to mention that both are already the wrong side of 30. Valerien has said since his arrival that he wants younger, energetic players, so these contract renewals are completely mystifying just from that perspective.

Bartley and Phillips won't earn us any money when they leave - if we're dishing out new contracts, at least do it with players who we think we'll be able to sell for a profit during the contract period, should that be warranted. It just seems like jobs for the boys at present and I hate that mentality.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #711 on: August 05, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »
Exactly this, not to mention that both are already the wrong side of 30. Valerien has said since his arrival that he wants younger, energetic players, so these contract renewals are completely mystifying just from that perspective.

Bartley and Phillips won't earn us any money when they leave - if we're dishing out new contracts, at least do it with players who we think we'll be able to sell for a profit during the contract period, should that be warranted. It just seems like jobs for the boys at present and I hate that mentality.

We've been doing this for years and I really hoped that it would stop. I'd say this is more a club driven decision rather than one by VI.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #712 on: August 05, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »

The wages will have been included in the budget.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #713 on: August 05, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
I'm much happier with this one than Phillips.  VI is playing with 3 CB's and I think we need numbers and experience in this part of the pitch.  CB's tend to improve with age and although not EPL level I think Bartley has improved.

Its only one extra year, so I think we can live with that whatever league we're in next season. 

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #714 on: August 05, 2021, 03:34:59 PM »
…Or it could be money from the new back of shirt sponsor !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #715 on: August 05, 2021, 03:37:14 PM »
Happy with this one. Had a decent season with us last season. Yes he is far from perfect but he is a top Proffesional by all accounts and with Val wanting to play three CBs he will be vital in what will be a Clarke/Ajayi/ Bartley partnership. Say what you want about the likes of Bartley and Ajayi in the premier league but at this level it's the best in the league. O Shea to provide cover at CB and RB and Kipre to also provide back up are not bad options.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #716 on: August 05, 2021, 03:40:13 PM »

We'll revisit this when he signs a three or four year deal  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #717 on: August 05, 2021, 03:46:29 PM »
I think this is a sensible deal and he'll be useful this season.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #718 on: August 05, 2021, 04:19:47 PM »
We've been doing this for years and I really hoped that it would stop. I'd say this is more a club driven decision rather than one by VI.

I have to keep checking that Bednar has finally left...

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #719 on: August 05, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »
How long was left on current deal?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #720 on: August 05, 2021, 05:40:34 PM »
How long was left on current deal?

Expired end of this season

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #721 on: August 05, 2021, 05:46:05 PM »
Thought he would have been allowed to leave this summer regardless of his contractual position.

He does not strike me as a defenders who suits a high aggressive press. Given his previous performances under Moore when asked to do anything other than head it or kick it, it is slightly concerning.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #722 on: August 05, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »
Thought he would have been allowed to leave this summer regardless of his contractual position.

He does not strike me as a defenders who suits a high aggressive press. Given his previous performances under Moore when asked to do anything other than head it or kick it, it is slightly concerning.

Did we do a high press under Moore or did we just faff around at the back playing it out and sideways passing, we didn't really get it forward quickly which I think is more the aim with Val.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #723 on: August 05, 2021, 07:12:34 PM »
Did we do a high press under Moore or did we just faff around at the back playing it out and sideways passing, we didn't really get it forward quickly which I think is more the aim with Val.

It was primarily faffing about under Moore but my post was trying to illustrate that when asked to defend outside of a low blank with the sole task of heading and booting it clear, he comes unstuck and is a liability.

He may prove me wrong and have a stellar season - I hope so - but I’m not sure it’s his greatest strength.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #724 on: August 05, 2021, 08:39:02 PM »
It was primarily faffing about under Moore but my post was trying to illustrate that when asked to defend outside of a low blank with the sole task of heading and booting it clear, he comes unstuck and is a liability.

He may prove me wrong and have a stellar season - I hope so - but I’m not sure it’s his greatest strength.

He is definitely a non nonsense, head it, clear it and don’t muck about kind of defender so yes it is Interesting that he’s seemingly the first defensive name on the team sheet and we’ve committed further to him.