Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2551229 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #1875 on: January 05, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »
I'm caught in two minds. It seems odd that you wouldn't at least smile. I mean, yes it's your job but surely there should be some sort of emotion?

The frustrating thing is that he is so close to becoming a modern day hero. Academy graduate, local lad (Post-Burundi!), goal-scorer...everything that could make him great at this club. He could move on to bigger things, and I don't think many fans would begrudge that if we as a club continue to stagnate in the lower realms of the Premier League. But it just seems like the effort is there to be likeable. And that seems strange. Surely everyone wants to be liked?

Football fans can be fickle but we can also be blind to imperfections. A little effort from Saido would go a long way to repairing any damage that has been done. Maybe a smile, a clap to the fans every now and then? Nothing much, but just to show that he cares...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1876 on: January 06, 2015, 12:21:15 AM »
I'm caught in two minds. It seems odd that you wouldn't at least smile. I mean, yes it's your job but surely there should be some sort of emotion?

The frustrating thing is that he is so close to becoming a modern day hero. Academy graduate, local lad (Post-Burundi!), goal-scorer...everything that could make him great at this club. He could move on to bigger things, and I don't think many fans would begrudge that if we as a club continue to stagnate in the lower realms of the Premier League. But it just seems like the effort is there to be likeable. And that seems strange. Surely everyone wants to be liked?

Football fans can be fickle but we can also be blind to imperfections. A little effort from Saido would go a long way to repairing any damage that has been done. Maybe a smile, a clap to the fans every now and then? Nothing much, but just to show that he cares...

Too right, run a round... A LOT, constantly miscontrol the ball, lose possession, not be in the slightest bit clinical in front of goal. BUT, clap the fans every chance you get. "How to make friends at the Hawthorns - Shane Long circa 2011-13"
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1877 on: January 06, 2015, 02:41:31 AM »
Too right, run a round... A LOT, constantly miscontrol the ball, lose possession, not be in the slightest bit clinical in front of goal. BUT, clap the fans every chance you get. "How to make friends at the Hawthorns - Shane Long circa 2011-13"
I love this post! To funny, very well said!  :D 

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1878 on: January 06, 2015, 06:18:29 AM »
Blimey Jacko, I thought you were having a go at your mate Brunt for a moment there. Have to say I thought he was the pick of our midfield on Saturday, but perhaps he's found his level. Loved it when he showed his angst against the guy who flattened Claudio, he almost made a tackle !
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1879 on: January 06, 2015, 06:36:23 AM »
He wasn't sent back from Northampton but hey ho. He can put anything he wants on twitter as long as he doesn't abuse the club surely? And sorry to say, he has made it. He's a regular Premier League goalscorer and is in and around the England squad.

It is a crying shame Albion fans refuse to embrace quality when we see it, over a quiet, hardworking yet talentless player.

So he's made it on the back of one average season?
I'd like to think that Albion fans do embrace quality but also like to se a tinge of humility mixed in there as well.
I dont think anybody doubts that this lad has talent but his attitude and disdain for his fellow being personally I find distasteful.
According to reports in one paper today he's turned up late three times this season on match days. That's probably why he's been benched for so long lately.
Add this to his pending court case and I think it shows overall he has little respect for authority and thinks he's above the rules that apply to other people.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:32:42 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1880 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »
He has shown this season that he does have talent, but if the stories you mention are true, coupled with those stories about him being Billy big time when he was actually away with the England squad, then it does raise questions about his mentality.

Saido could go on to bigger and better things, but there is a possibility that his attitude will prevent him doing so.

I would add that I do want him to succeed. There is little doubt that at 21 he has already experienced life events beyond most of our experience, but I really do hope he doesn't reach 35 looking back on a wasted career and wondering what might have been.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:23:45 AM by Chipperfan »
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1881 on: January 06, 2015, 08:46:04 AM »
He has shown this season that he does have talent, but if the stories you mention are true, coupled with those stories about him being Billy big time when he was actually away with the England squad, then it does raise questions about his mentality.

Saido could go on to bigger and better things, but there is a possibility that his attitude will prevent him doing so.

I would add that I do want him to succeed. There is little doubt that at 21 he has already experienced life events beyond most of our experience, but I really do hope he doesn't reach 35 looking back on a wasted career and wondering what might have been.
Ian Wright has basically said this in the Sun today.
He should be having the time of his life enjoying doing something he loves, the money, the move and the England caps will come, but being labelled as moody and difficult will only hamper his chances.
Wrighty says he used to celebrate when he scored in training, which you can fully imagine him doing, bet he was a nightmare  :)
He has obviously gone on to build a great career outside of football, but says at 51 he would give anything to be 21 and scoring goals.
Hope Saido reads it and takes note of some wise words from a true legend.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1882 on: January 06, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »

I see the Daily Mail has reported that Saido has turned up late three times this season for matches.

Here's the solution - Give him Irvine's watch!  :P

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1883 on: January 06, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »
I see the Daily Mail has reported that Saido has turned up late three times this season for matches.

Here's the solution - Give him Irvine's watch!  :P

I said earlier that probably explains why our top scorer see's so much bench time.
He needs to learn some respect and humility in quadruple doses.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1884 on: January 06, 2015, 10:51:48 AM »
All of this will stop him getting a move . They won't pay big bucks for a troublesome character . He has to change which I have doubts on . He may still be here after end of January with a bigger attitude . He needs a father figure , but hey don't we all .

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1885 on: January 06, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
Aparently a court date has been set according to the twitter. But I cannot see any confirmation of it other than this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6238858/Footballer-Saido-Berahino-will-appear-in-court-on-drink-driving-charges.html

Has anyone got a Sun account to read the full story?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1886 on: January 06, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »
All of this will stop him getting a move . They won't pay big bucks for a troublesome character . He has to change which I have doubts on . He may still be here after end of January with a bigger attitude . He needs a father figure , but hey don't we all .

My understanding is that clubs spend a lot of time researching personality / characters and some will actually have a formal interview with prospective acquisitions. All to do with moulding a team rather than a squad of individuals.
If true as you Saido's issues (perceived or real) will limit his opportunities. That said there is always a mug like 'arry out there who will happily spend someone elses money to save his own scraggy neck.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1887 on: January 06, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
He has been with us for years , so we will know his personality /behaviour . His behaviour rhymes with his income . Big flash car loads of money equals loads of hanger ons . At the age of 21 he already has a track record of stupid antics . Hey I hope he straighten himself out . We will see .

valleybaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1888 on: January 06, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »
really hope he knuckles down under pulis and becomes one of our best forwards ever. but also hope he dosen't turn out like koumas one of the most gifted and talented players we've had but threw it all away with his attitude and moods

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1889 on: January 06, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »
Confirmed drink drive charge court later this month......oooooppps!

In the daily mail freely available
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:34:16 PM by elminius »

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1890 on: January 06, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
Is it any wonder he has no discipline working for losers like Alan Irvine?

Tony Pulis has a track record of working with troublesome characters, some probably a lot worse than a kid who doesn't smile when he scores. I have total confidence in Pulis to get the best out of a very talented young lad.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1891 on: January 06, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »
Tis why no celebration?
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1892 on: January 06, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
It has come to light that he now has time keeping issues and has been late for three games including versus Man City on Boxing Day.

It will be interesting to see if he is man enough to shape up and do his job properly.  I hope he does as he is a talented player for sure.
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1893 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
A great talent but a very troubled kid. Could become a great player or the next Koumas.

If he does go i can't see him staying at any club long.

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1894 on: January 06, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Is it any wonder he has no discipline working for losers like Alan Irvine?

So all of his issues across several loan clubs and at west brom before Irivine arrived are all Irvines fault? Saido needs to look in the mirror or the bible whichever he believes in more and start growing up and yes maybe Pulis is the guiding light he needs ....... We shall see
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:51:32 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1895 on: January 06, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
Seems problems keep popping up for him doesnt it, the media not afraid to show him in bad light either.

Next few weeks could be vital for him, buck up or be gone.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1896 on: January 06, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »
Tone will get him into shape and he will help keep us up. cant see anyone wanting to buy trouble at the moment
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1897 on: January 06, 2015, 01:08:18 PM »
So all of his issues across several loan clubs and at west brom before Irivine arrived are all Irvines fault? Saido needs to look in the mirror or the bible whichever he believes in more and start growing up and yes maybe Pulis is the guiding light he needs ....... We shall see

It's certainly not Irvine's fault as Saido has had a few problems at other clubs as well. I'm just highlighting the fact that working under a stronger manager / head coach could benefit the lad.

On another note, I find it absolutely incredible that we have a young lad come through the academy who is a natural goalscorer at the highest level, something we've been wanting for years, and yet all people want to do is criticise him. Yes he has problems but enjoy him on the pitch while we can. Don't force another superb striker out of this club because you don't like him as a person.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1898 on: January 06, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
It's certainly not Irvine's fault as Saido has had a few problems at other clubs as well. I'm just highlighting the fact that working under a stronger manager / head coach could benefit the lad.

On another note, I find it absolutely incredible that we have a young lad come through the academy who is a natural goalscorer at the highest level, something we've been wanting for years, and yet all people want to do is criticise him. Yes he has problems but enjoy him on the pitch while we can. Don't force another superb striker out of this club because you don't like him as a person.

Top post. Sums up my feelings entirely.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1899 on: January 06, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »
Saido Berahino to appear in court as West Brom striker faces drink-driving charges

West Brom striker Saido Berahino is set to appear in court on charges of drink-driving.

The 21-year-old was arrested by police in October after being stopped in the early hours of one morning on the M6.

On Monday it was revealed that Berahino’s bail had been cancelled and that he will appear before magistrates later this month after being summonsed.

The England Under 21 international has been in prolific form for the Baggies this season, netting 13 times in 24 appearances for the club this season.

The forward scored four goals on Saturday as new boss Tony Pulis saw his side romp to a 7-0 home win against non-league Gateshead in the third round of the FA Cup.

Despite his goalscoring form, Berahino has occurred problems off-the-pitch at West Brom with Sportsmail revealing that the Burundi-born star has been fined by the club for reporting late on match days three times this campaign.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2898553/Saido-Berahino-appear-court-West-Brom-striker-faces-drink-driving-charges.html