Poll

As a supporter would you rather be?

17th in the Prem
47 (81%)
Top of League 1
11 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Which is better?  (Read 3709 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Which is better?
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 12:56:44 PM »
Is league 1 a typo? It must be surely. You have to aim to be the best you can be, in anything. And being top of the third tier certainly does not equate to being the best, no way.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »
OK being one of the leading clubs in the country, as we used to be, is what I would like, but is most unlikely to ever be for clubs like us again. This being the case. winning is better than losing. Scoring 3 or 4 is better than having 3 or 4 scored against you. Going out to try to win a game its better than going out trying not to lose. So I will settle for being a leading club with aspirations to get higher in whatever league we are playing. 

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 01:53:33 PM »
I can't remember being much happier than when we finished 17th under Robson.
That was great as a one off and is another of my favourite memories and you've sort of hit the nail on the head. As a fan, I live for days like that and they make all of the disappointments worthwhile. I don't remember celebrating too much any other time we stayed up though, just didn't have the same impact, whereas every promotion is memorable..

I'm not saying for a minute I don't want us to succeed, it's just how we measure success and accept failure.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 01:56:46 PM »
Is league 1 a typo? It must be surely. You have to aim to be the best you can be, in anything. And being top of the third tier certainly does not equate to being the best, no way.
It's not about aspirations it's about what you would celebrate more, as a fan.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 01:57:11 PM »
That was great as a one off and is another of my favourite memories and you've sort of hit the nail on the head. As a fan, I live for days like that and they make all of the disappointments worthwhile. I don't remember celebrating too much any other time we stayed up though, just didn't have the same impact, whereas every promotion is memorable..

I'm not saying for a minute I don't want us to succeed, it's just how we measure success and accept failure.

Our last promotion will no doubt be remembered by many for all the wrong reasons!

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 02:13:30 PM »
Our last promotion will no doubt be remembered by many for all the wrong reasons!

A weird statement.  We got promoted on 83pts in 2nd.

The latest Manager puts personal agendas first like HRK in front of Diangana!

Allardyce = imperfect.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 11:25:41 PM »
Agreed , the falling over the line due  to Brentford blowing up as we pretty much lost our form . A couple of weeks later rumblings of trouble behind the scenes ....warning lights were flashing right then and lead us to now pretty much .
Oh and another memory of that promotion night was Dowling on the pitch , another tainted memory . ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:29:26 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 04:38:24 PM »
Regardless of our financial clout we should always aim to play at the highest level with the aim of sticking and then building on that as we did in 2011/12.

It's always going to be difficult without a benefactor but look at it another way, if we fail to win promotion back to the PL in the next two seasons it then becomes a bit of a lottery to stay in the Championship.  Just look at Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Leeds and even Manchester City not too long ago. 

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »
Being in the Prem is a no brainer for virtually any football fan. Unless you are a committed fan of amateur football, where its accepted that the players earn their living elsewhere and only play for the fun of it. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 05:11:30 PM »
Theres 2 viewpoints really to me. As a fan and looking for returns on the financial investments we make along with our time etc then sure, we all would love to see our club win 90% of the matches we play but that's not reality unless we drop into the rubbish leagues.

From the clubs long term point of view we must be in the PL as much as we can be. The club will go on long after all of us are dead so we don't really have any right to wish it into the footballing bogs of doom. I'd rather us get rogered senseless sometimes in the PL than scrat about looking for pennies in the lower leagues.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
I'd rather we had the opportunity to beat the likes of Chelsea etc and have some derby games rather than
regularly beating the Oldham/Shrewsbury etc of this world.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »
Be careful what you wish for. Just toying with the idea of lower league football could easily lead onto a slippery slope where we end up as another Oldham Athletic or Port Vale. Or worse. A couple of poor gambles on players or managers and we go in to debt, which could easily end in insolvency. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 05:41:09 PM »
Be careful what you wish for. Just toying with the idea of lower league football could easily lead onto a slippery slope where we end up as another Oldham Athletic or Port Vale. Or worse. A couple of poor gambles on players or managers and we go in to debt, which could easily end in insolvency.

Very true. No one seems to think of this or the danger it puts our club in.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2021, 01:23:59 AM »
Small wonder we're ridiculed by the likes of Vile and the d1ngle5. I'll leave it there.

Presumably you guys find this cathartic, I think it's utter ********, and an embarrassment to the history and foundations of our great club...

You must have a short memory,  we were the top team overall in the decade 2010-2020. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2021, 03:04:28 AM »
You must have a short memory,  we were the top team overall in the decade 2010-2020.

Barking up the wrong tree here bud. You've totally missed the point of my post. Anyway welcome to the forum.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2021, 07:38:24 PM »
Theres 2 viewpoints really to me. As a fan and looking for returns on the financial investments we make along with our time etc then sure, we all would love to see our club win 90% of the matches we play but that's not reality unless we drop into the rubbish leagues.

From the clubs long term point of view we must be in the PL as much as we can be. The club will go on long after all of us are dead so we don't really have any right to wish it into the footballing bogs of doom. I'd rather us get rogered senseless sometimes in the PL than scrat about looking for pennies in the lower leagues.

Well said Gazberg.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music