Author Topic: 24 Sept 2014 Albion 3 Hull City 2 (Capital One Cup 3)  (Read 51945 times)

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
Blanco looks a serious player. Gamboa did well too. Also thought O'Neil was neat and tidy, lots of energy

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
I think tonight has shown that we have some very good players in this squad, if we can keep playing at a decent level we will hold more than our own against any opposition.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
I may get slated for this; am i the only one who wasnt massively impressed by Blanco?

Terrible corners but overall i felt he got caught several times & also seems to opem himself up far too much, easily dispossessed.

Early doors for him though and did show his technique & agile attributes.

Impressed with Gamboa & Valera has always been a class act, just hope he can keep improving & playing.

What are peoples thoughts in Davidson, he looks shocking as far as im concerned.

Good reault though in the end. MOTM; Gamboa

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
I thought Blanco was very good tonight. Gamboa was excellent and pushed Yacob for the MOTM but I thought Yacob shaded it

Big fan of Yacob I am

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2014, 12:36:13 AM »
AI has got real selection problems now. Really hard to see who can be dropped from last two performances. My team for Burnley would be:

Foster

Gamboa
Dawson
Lescott
Gmac
Poc

Yacob
Mulumbu
Mozza
Gardner
Blanco
Varela
Brunt

Sess

Berahino

It would be really unfair to drop any of these after the performances they have put in. Will the FA let us play 1-5-7-1-1?

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2014, 12:43:09 AM »
Anyone got a link for the highlights? Thanks boys.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2014, 12:58:36 AM »
Anyone got a link for the highlights? Thanks boys.

It's good to have some highlights to look forward to isn't it. Wasn't happy with the long, long, long string of lowlights before these games.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2014, 01:28:08 AM »
Well that was a relief, we were pretty toothless for most of the 2nd half but the changes saw us win the game.

Yacob was superb, both fullbacks did well.

Blanco the best of the attacking players, while both Vic and Ideye played well before being withdrawn.

Varela's pass was sublime and I imagine he'll quickly be into the team, excellent finish by Berahino.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #283 on: September 25, 2014, 06:41:56 AM »
Yacob was excellent, and a word for the young lad O'Neill, thought he was very good as well.
Not so sure about Blanco, very quick but runs up too many blind alleys for my liking, still his first full outing so I'll reserve judgement at the moment. Reminds me a lot of Mufsud that used to play for Coventry, had one good season then disappeared without trace.
Thought big Vic looked like he couldn't be arsed most of the time, Samras was in and out of the game but probably needs more minutes under his belt.
The defence switched off for their first goal, 4 defenders lolloping back around the winger and the ball comes accross where Davidson gave Ince the freedom of the borough.
Still a wins a win and hopefully a good draw against what must be considered  one of the lesser teams left in the competition. Just dont take anything for granted.
COYB
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2014, 07:55:43 AM »
I thought we probably deserved the win. We were comfortable first half, scored the goal and should have scored more. We were probably a bit too comfortable which lead to a sloppy goal.

Poor first 20 of the second half, just couldn't lift it and gave away a poor goal but we had some steady momentum for last 20 or so and a couple of key subs turned it around for us. It was close, but the right team won.

Bit of a mixed bag performance wise. They all did good things, but there were some bad aspects as well. Yacob was the pick for me. I've been very critical of him in the last year or so but he looked to have a bit of spark back. For those that don't know we played a midfield diamond like this

Yacob

O'Neil                        Mulumbu

Blanco

It really suited Yacob. O'Neil played very well too, gave Gamboa lots of support defensively. Can't say the same for Mulumbu, he was poor, just never got to grips with playing left of the diamond and gave Davidson no support which meant that he also struggled a little. Was no surprise that once Varela came on and we went to a flat 442 with some width either side that we got things going second half.

As I said Davidson struggled a bit but needed help. He's a good defender 1 on 1 but was caught out of position though. Gamboa was better but still got caught a few times himself. But it will take them a while to get up to speed tactically to play over here.

I thought Blanco was decent. Still a little way to go to be up to speed with the physicality but he kept trying and never went too long without a touch which is the sign of a good player IMO.

Samaras looked like a good player who was very rusty to me. Males very clever runs, finds lots of space but you could see his touch was off. Not sure they would ever have wanted him to play 75 minutes though. Shame for Ideye as he looked lively before his knock, but a goal is a goal so he should be happy.

All in all a decent nights work. Most good, a few (Mulumbu and Anichebe were two) were below par but all the new lads will be better for having played a game and won.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »
Watched it on a stream. Superb result coming from behind and something we haven't done for a while.

I thought Gamboa, Blanco and O'neill were very good last night. Mcauley also had a good game. Samaras also contributed well throughout the game.

Varela must be on the bench for the next game, looks a gamechanger, real pace and energy.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
Fantastic, Best thing that's happened to our club in long time, Couple people mentioned how a win would bring the fans together and get a positive feeling back around the Hawthorns and that's exactly what its done, Bournemouth are no mugs at all and it will be a tough match but were there and we got it to look forward to and you have to say if we can overcome that match we stand a very good chance of progressing to the semis. Thank you Mr Irvine, Jezza and the team for taking it serious, One happy baggie boy over here.

johhnybaggies 4life

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2014, 11:03:38 AM »
The atmosphere yesterday was outstanding! Only 11,000 there but boy did we put on a show, we showed that we can get behind the lads! And the lads yesterday we're brilliant, from the top row of smethwick! Blanco looked like a top quality player, varela when he was on looked quality, samaras looked lazy at time but was willing, Gamboa just killed everyone for pace!, mcauley was brill! But the best was easily Liam O'Neil, he looked twice his age experience wise the way he read the game, him mulumbu and yacob we're like a brick wall and I hope Liam starts on Sunday I'll be there! Alan Irvine didn't sit down all night! I'm glad we're getting behind him! I really hope this is the team he's promised!
Stick Together Through Thick And Thin

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »
It's good to have some highlights to look forward to isn't it. Wasn't happy with the long, long, long string of lowlights before these games.

http://footyroom.com/west-bromwich-albion-3-2-hull-city-2014-09/
there's a add before but ha who cares

RB

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
Three stand outs  for me across the 90 minutes, Yacob, O'Neill and Gamboa.

COYB

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
A good sign of the squad depth that we have, last McAuley, Olsson, Mulumbu and Yacob all started a couple of seasons ago maybe only two of those four would have started a cup game any maybe one might play on Sunday.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

MulumbuPower!

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #291 on: September 25, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
Just a few points -

The only worry I had was Mulumbu. He looked totally lost with and without the ball. Our midfield was toothless which wasn't surprising considering we were playing 3 defensive midfielders (O'Neil, Yacob, Mulumbu) and we never seemed to look up at the opposing back line to spot an attacking pass. We held the ball but continually passed sidewards and then backwards.

Blanco did a lot of running and showed skill running forward but he lost his effectiveness once Hull began to close him down and get a bit physical with him. He was our sole creative player and naturally Hull became equate wise to this early on. I would still play Sess ahead of him for the time being but if he gets more game time I won't deny he could shine for us.

Anichebe looks good but needs to work someone to work with. He was bossing their Defenders but his touch was poor and he was never quite on top the construction of our play. But when we played the ball long, he got it more often than not.

Valara changed the game. He was constantly looking up and trying to get the ball forward and bring in attacking players which is how Saido scored. With the mentality he is a must for the squad against Burnley.

Gamboa demonstrated all the way through that he is twice the player Wisdom is. He was able to bomb forward with speed and his challenges were strong and well timed. His corner play with Saido in extra time was pretty special too.

McCauley was solid as a rock and poses the biggest dilemma for the main squad. I heart says to play Lescott and McCauley but my head says to keep Dawson in the team.

Yacob looked strong and is back to his best. What a change in attitude form him. I think Blanco might be helping him settle in. O'Neil was the surprise package. Better performance than Mulumbu on the opposite side which speaks columns for the kid. 

The biggest positive was that we got the win - that will carry us into the next game. Also, how many times in our recent history have we seen the players give up? Last night, it might not have been pretty at times, but we kept going!
I'd like to apologise for my spelling and grammar. I post from my phone.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #292 on: September 25, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »
I thought we probably deserved the win. We were comfortable first half, scored the goal and should have scored more. We were probably a bit too comfortable which lead to a sloppy goal.

Poor first 20 of the second half, just couldn't lift it and gave away a poor goal but we had some steady momentum for last 20 or so and a couple of key subs turned it around for us. It was close, but the right team won.

Bit of a mixed bag performance wise. They all did good things, but there were some bad aspects as well. Yacob was the pick for me. I've been very critical of him in the last year or so but he looked to have a bit of spark back. For those that don't know we played a midfield diamond like this

Yacob

O'Neil                        Mulumbu

Blanco

It really suited Yacob. O'Neil played very well too, gave Gamboa lots of support defensively. Can't say the same for Mulumbu, he was poor, just never got to grips with playing left of the diamond and gave Davidson no support which meant that he also struggled a little. Was no surprise that once Varela came on and we went to a flat 442 with some width either side that we got things going second half.

As I said Davidson struggled a bit but needed help. He's a good defender 1 on 1 but was caught out of position though. Gamboa was better but still got caught a few times himself. But it will take them a while to get up to speed tactically to play over here.

I thought Blanco was decent. Still a little way to go to be up to speed with the physicality but he kept trying and never went too long without a touch which is the sign of a good player IMO.

Samaras looked like a good player who was very rusty to me. Males very clever runs, finds lots of space but you could see his touch was off. Not sure they would ever have wanted him to play 75 minutes though. Shame for Ideye as he looked lively before his knock, but a goal is a goal so he should be happy.

All in all a decent nights work. Most good, a few (Mulumbu and Anichebe were two) were below par but all the new lads will be better for having played a game and won.
Excellent assessment, would agree with that. I think when all are match fit and settled in, we will have some squad, and real competition throughout for the first time in the Prem.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #293 on: September 25, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
Agree with most of what has been said.

Just one thought from me, and that is that I was surprised when Samaras came on rather than a smaller nippier player. We looked a bit laboured up front for a while.

I assume that Irvine was protecting Saido for the weekend.

I'm not complaining though it was great to see a win. Huge positives in Yacob, Gamboa, O'Neil, Ideye (for the time he was on obviously) and while Davidson looked off the pace I see no reason why he shouldn't be a good player for us when he gets up to speed.

Blanco impressed me. I thought he grew into the game and he was always showing for the ball.

Looking forward to Sunday now.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:01:27 PM by Chipperfan »
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #294 on: September 25, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
I thought we were worthy winners and those late goals were well deserved. Great ball from Varela for the winner and Berahino finished well. Really impressed with some of the individual performances from the signings such as Gamboa and Blanco that will keep everyone on their toes to get a place in the first team. Good to see Yacob back to his best.
the regime don't like it man

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #295 on: September 25, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #296 on: September 25, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
ah that was a proper cup tie! Lots of gloating to be done at work tomorrow!!

Thought we looked good first half totally controlled it and only going to be one winner..until the back 4 switched off and Ince scored. Couldn't believe it when the same thing happened for the second goal..very very poor defending.

Missed Bobby's goal..went for a p...heard the cheer mid stream...managed to get onto the concourse to see Bobby on the floor clutching his leg. I seems that Myler caught him on the ankle as he volleyed it in. Hope he's fit soon.

Yacob was class and thought O'Neill was good (mostly) Blanco was good and showed a lot of strength..especially holding off Figueroa. Gamboa looks decent but needs more game time.

The only negatives for me were Mulumbu who was mostly poor giving the ball away a lot and running into blind alleys and Anichebe but he was often holding the ball up for no one as Samars and the midfield lacked the nous to get in behind. Olsson was lacklustre I though and was caught ball watching by Brady for Hull's second.

Hoping to go to Bournmouth but looking at £100 for the train,+ B&B + ticket. Anyone know when the date for the match will be confirmed?

Sweet pass from Varela and great finish from berahino. McAuley was good too..superb volley.