Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1234762 times)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #3975 on: November 24, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
Wouldnt get rid of him just yet but we are now in the festive period games coming thick and fast and i dont want to see that muppet in charge of our team again until a new man is appointed.

Unfortunately the cons are starting to outway the pros for me personally not only do we look stale but we have players who arent getting a chance valera and brown spring to mind who could potentially give us the spark we need. Why buy a striker for 10 million and not play him seems stupid i know it wasnt Irvine and he clearly doesnt rate him so the fingers have to point at our system and current set up.

We also have some very worrying stats that are starting to creep up on us, Five goals from open play and one player getting more than a single goal so far this season is frankly little bit disturbing.
Varela has had an operation and been injured and given the only game time available to him. Berahino has been playing instead of Brown and has gotten a call up from England because of it,  what other coach do you expect would have dropped him for Brown?
Goal stats are disturbing but similar to those for teams in similar positions as ourselves. (Villa have scored 5 all season!)
We are doing as well as expected and Peace will not sack Irvine because of that.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3976 on: November 24, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Varela has had an operation and been injured and given the only game time available to him. Berahino has been playing instead of Brown and has gotten a call up from England because of it,  what other coach do you expect would have dropped him for Brown?
Goal stats are disturbing but similar to those for teams in similar positions as ourselves. (Villa have scored 5 all season!)
We are doing as well as expected and Peace will not sack Irvine because of that.

Was valera injured saturday ?.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3977 on: November 24, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
Personally I don't know who the answer is, but based on current showings Howe is doing well. Played us off the park in the cup, a team full of energy which was a huge contrast to ours. Doing well in the league too. Not looked much further into his career, but it his record on face value seems better than Irvines anyway in terms of win %.
Done well in tiers 3 and 4 with Bournemouth, took Burnley backwards in tier 2 and is doing well back with Bournemouth at the moment.
Arsene Wenger might be available if we get a result against them but that would mean he has been beaten by Irvine so now I'm confused!   ???

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3978 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »
Was valera injured saturday ?.
Having recently played in the behind closed doors friendly I would find it difficult to believe he is still injured.  As that appears to have been his only "competitive" football in a couple of months I would imagine his "fitness" to play against arguably the best team in the Premier League might have been in question?  The only team that are currently in better form in the Premier League are Newcastle.

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3979 on: November 24, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »
Having recently played in the behind closed doors friendly I would find it difficult to believe he is still injured.  As that appears to have been his only "competitive" football in a couple of months I would imagine his "fitness" to play against arguably the best team in the Premier League might have been in question?  The only team that are currently in better form in the Premier League are Newcastle.
And not so long ago fans were calling for him to be sacked, I bet those same fans are saying thank god we didn't sack him.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3980 on: November 24, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
And not so long ago fans were calling for him to be sacked, I bet those same fans are saying thank god we didn't sack him.

Problem being can you see us winning 6 in a row? I certainly can't
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3981 on: November 24, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
I'm not going to judge Irvine on matches against teams like Chelsea.  We are never likely to get a result - especially as the officials always help them.

However, with nothing to lose you'd have expected an opportunity to give game time to Ideye, Blanco or Varela.  If they are not fit enough after 4 months then they're not being coached properly.  (Or maybe lack of match time means they're not match fit?)  Especially when the international break was seen as an opportunity to get these players fit, and they played (and made an impact) in a friendly game during that time... and this was the 1st game afterwards.

Instead, 2 defensive players who have not played much (not match fit?) are suddenly bought into the 1st team - Baird and Yacob.  (Neither made it to the end of the game.)  And we have one of our best, most consistent players over 4/5 years Mulumbu sitting in the stands - and seemingly disgruntled about not being selected, despite playing in the previous game.

During the summer we knew we needed to bring in pace, creativity and width.  Presumably Blanco and Varela were the best players we could find in our budget?  They both come with with a good pedigree.  One played and scored during the world cup.  So, with these players (and Ideye) failing to make an impact in 4 months is the failure in recruitment or coaching?  If Irvine has the final say on player recruitment (as he says he does) then presumably the buck stops with him?  Maybe they just don't fit with Irvine's defensive and resilient approach to the game?  At the moment they look like a massive waste of our meagre resources.

Saturdays game poses a real opportunity to take points off one of the big clubs - who will have played a really strong European team on Wednesday night.  We need to start and play with a really high tempo.  They look very vulnerable at the back, holding back and defending will not end well for us - especially if we're going to concede 2 goals by default - we have to take the game to them.

If the same set of core players start again in midfield then I think we are missing the opportunity to get something out of the game and take that momentum and positivity forward into a run of more win-able games.  I'm not saying there should be wholesale changes, but Dorrans hasn't performed for weeks wide right, and maybe Blanco would contribute than Seesegnon?

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3982 on: November 24, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »

Can you explain Baird or Yacob's selection then?

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3983 on: November 24, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
Problem being can you see us winning 6 in a row? I certainly can't
Could the Newcastle fans who were calling for him to be sacked is the question. I have always said that I didn't want Irvine as Coach or whatever his official role is, but as long as he is here he will get my backing as have many other managers and there have been a lot worse than Irvine at The Hawthorns.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3984 on: November 24, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
I'm not going to judge Irvine on matches against teams like Chelsea.  We are never likely to get a result - especially as the officials always help them.

However, with nothing to lose you'd have expected an opportunity to give game time to Ideye, Blanco or Varela.  If they are not fit enough after 4 months then they're not being coached properly.  (Or maybe lack of match time means they're not match fit?)  Especially when the international break was seen as an opportunity to get these players fit, and they played (and made an impact) in a friendly game during that time... and this was the 1st game afterwards.

Whilst I agree it was a perfect opportunity to play these players in a game we expected very little from, would have helped with fitness at a competive level.

Im glad they didnt play, and my reason for this is they cannot be used as the excuse for us not playing well.

If AI had played Varela, Brown, Blanco and Gamboa on saturday he would have had his excuse ready in terms of us not showing up to compete.

Like I have said on a different post, if the above 4 players are still not getting game time after the next 3 games, then surely serious questions need to be asked of AI.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3985 on: November 24, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
He said after the game that they had prepared for the short corner and that they should have started more on the front foot.
Sorry, but if that is true this group of players are not doing as instructed as there was absolutely no evidence of either on Saturday.
This just makes it more frustrating, if the players are not doing what they are instructed then the new guys should get a chance, surely?
It just doesn't make sense that he will not change things if we keep making the same mistakes.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3986 on: November 24, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »
Numerous interesting and pointed questions are continuously being asked on this forum about why the likes of Varela, Brown, Blanco and Gamboa are not being given any playing time. Why aren't our local journos asking the same questions of Irvine at one of his weekly press conferences? Fans surely have a right to hear some answers from the 'horses mouth'. It seems to me that, not including Brown, we invested less than £3m on about ten players. Lescott and Gardiner are amongst the ten and they have justified their signings but I can't say the same for many of the others. The well known phrase springs to mind - If you pay peanuts you get monkeys >:(

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3987 on: November 24, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »
After watching Palace v Liverpool yesterday I'd rather have Warnock in charge
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3988 on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
Could the Newcastle fans who were calling for him to be sacked is the question. I have always said that I didn't want Irvine as Coach or whatever his official role is, but as long as he is here he will get my backing as have many other managers and there have been a lot worse than Irvine at The Hawthorns.

he's on a par with Saunders mate to be fair

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3989 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
Realistic enough to accept defeat against a club that are currently showing the form to win the league at a canter. 
Chelsea have gone 12 games unbeaten at the start of the season,  a club record, and are already 7 points clear of their nearest rivals. We set up to try and contain them and counter attack. An arguably dubious offside decision and a sending off put pay to that and Chelsea showed the quality they really are.
Haven't lost much sleep over the result.

We made no effort to attack even with 11. I'd rather have a go at teams than what happened on Saturday. I don't get your constant love in with irvine?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3990 on: November 24, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
QPR went to Chelsea and had a good go at them. They only went down to a narrow loss to late goals. Like most others I can accept defeat against better sides but there is no reason to fear them.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3991 on: November 24, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »
he's on a par with Saunders mate to be fair

Bloke is a complete waste of time and effort.

He's clueless. His pathetic explanations and selections are past a joke.

Get December 15th in your diary....#gonner

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3992 on: November 24, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »
Maybe he thought Mulumbu might go in too hard and get sent off, whereas Yacob... oh...

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3993 on: November 24, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »

I've already got an entry on that day...'gonner be flying off to Spain' 8)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3994 on: November 24, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »

The only way AI would be sacked this season is if we go on a terrible run of form, or we are in the bottom 3 come end of January.

If we are outside the relegation places, AI will be head coach for the remainder of the season.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3995 on: November 24, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
The only way AI would be sacked this season is if we go on a terrible run of form, or we are in the bottom 3 come end of January.

If we are outside the relegation places, AI will be head coach for the remainder of the season.
I agree with this. As bad as we've been this season, we're still 13th which probably says more about the other clubs than ourselves. The only way he will go is if we're in the bottom 3 for over a month or so, sadly this could be at the end of the season when we have some nasty fixtures bunched together.

I don't think it would ever happen due to finances but I'd love us to get Pulis. I know he's quite unpopular on here but the football he played at Palace was far nicer than Irvine's - but mostly with Pulis you know he's going to keep you up fairly comfortably.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3996 on: November 24, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »
Can you explain Baird or Yacob's selection then?

I am not Alan Irvine but I suspect something along the lines of Morrison was recovering from illness and playing mid-week so used the opportunity to put someone different in. Because the plan was to contain it was likely to be either Yacob or Mulumbu and as Mulumbu's recent form for the Albion had not been good, he had only returned from International duty mid week and is going to be lost for the Africa Nations Cup it was an opportunity to give Yacob a run out.

Poco was injured, options are Gamboa or Baird. Baird got the nod.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3997 on: November 24, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
Bottom three looms by the time we play the vile.lets hope this clueless tactically inept best head coach has been given the boot by qpr
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3998 on: November 24, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
Bottom three looms by the time we play the vile.lets hope this clueless tactically inept best head coach has been given the boot by qpr

By the time we do, they'll have come out of their slump and we will be at the peak of ours.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3999 on: November 24, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Like I have said on a different post, if the above 4 players are still not getting game time after the next 3 games, then surely serious questions need to be asked of AI.

Or as has been suggested elsewhere, questions need to be asked of our recruitment team as to why they are no better than the players who are currently in the team? We may never be in the position to judge whether they could or would have bought something different to our game. I hope they do and believe, because of the nature of the Premier League, that they will get their opportunity at some point but I wouldn't just pick them because they haven't played much especially if they are struggling with training, language, whatever, as some seem to suggest we should.