Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1234775 times)

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #3750 on: November 12, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »
good post but who really expected baird and samaras to have an impact,2 very poor additions in my eye.

I didn't, and it speaks volumes that Baird and Samaras were selected for the bench ahead of Ideye and Blanco...

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3751 on: November 12, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
I didn't, and it speaks volumes that Baird and Samaras were selected for the bench ahead of Ideye and Blanco...

Can't quite get my head around having both Baird and Yacob on the bench. Baird is taking up a space for a more creative player
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3752 on: November 12, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
Can't quite get my head around having both Baird and Yacob on the bench. Baird is taking up a space for a more creative player

Tells me all I need to know about the style of football he wants the team to play.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3753 on: November 12, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
Hopefully we will get to see Varela soon, training game behind closed doors today including most of the summer signings.

If everyone is fit and we're not doing well Irvine has no excuse. Sadly he will keep banging out the same lines that the players are 'not quite where we want them to be'

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/varela-steps-up-fitness-pursuit-2077400.aspx

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3754 on: November 12, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
Tells me all I need to know about the style of football he wants the team to play.
Its quite obvious how he wants the team to play but we aint that good at that either, with nearly a 3rd of the season gone I expect this to be the way he will carry on setting us up. this will be one long hard season and could set us back years if we go down.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3755 on: November 12, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
It's more to do with less pressure and expectancy, we tend to be more solid away from home and this is why i can see us doing better on the road this year.
Irvine sets up teams well away from home, because you can afford to be more cautious. Let's face it he would take 0-0 every week away. The problem is, he does not seem to have the guts to try and win at home, if anything he is even more cautious.
Our only decent performances at home have been Burnley, any team would fancy beating them, so confidence was up and Man Utd. where we had nothing to lose as expectations were low.
Not just Irvine though, let's face it there is a nervous air about the Hawthorns, has been for 18 months and everyone is affected, management, players and fans alike.
Just wish he could see that if he threw off the shackles and had a real go, we would accept defeats, but defeats like Sunday will simply seal his fate.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3756 on: November 12, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »
Hopefully we will get to see Varela soon, training game behind closed doors today including most of the summer signings.

If everyone is fit and we're not doing well Irvine has no excuse. Sadly he will keep banging out the same lines that the players are 'not quite where we want them to be'

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/varela-steps-up-fitness-pursuit-2077400.aspx
Sorry, but this seems like fitness by numbers to me. Is someone who is fully fit, but rubbish, better to have on the bench than someone who is 'not quite there', but may actually have an impact.
I think this is why he is rated so highly as a coach because he is obviously knowledgeable and up to date with the latest techniques and trends. Sadly I fear, he lacks the initiative, instinct and bravery that you need to be a top manager.
After all, the only stat that will keep him in a job will not be delivered by GPS, but by Sky Sports News when they show the league table!

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3757 on: November 12, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
Is it really necessary to keep attributing Irvine's motivation to cowardice? Knowing his extensive preparation, it's vastly more likely that he has specific reasons for choosing players. We don't know what they are, unfortunately, but they undoubtedly exist. I doubt anyone here has enough regular contact with Irvine to glean some direct insight into his personal courage.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3758 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »

“Brown gives us one option – that’s to replace Saido if Saido has got a problem, but I think if I leave Saido out people might say ‘you are an idiot’.”

Yes, correct, you are an idiot....

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3759 on: November 13, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
Brown should be on the bench, and if Saido is ineffective, as he was on Sunday, then take him off and put Brown on
Ooops sorry I forgot only Dorrans and Sess allowed to be subbed.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3760 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
Is it really necessary to keep attributing Irvine's motivation to cowardice? Knowing his extensive preparation, it's vastly more likely that he has specific reasons for choosing players. We don't know what they are, unfortunately, but they undoubtedly exist. I doubt anyone here has enough regular contact with Irvine to glean some direct insight into his personal courage.

I don't see a problem with it.  The man is the personification of timidity.  From team selection to style of play to press conferences where he talks solely about stopping the opposition. He's got no guts in a footballing sense. Can you imagine him making 3 substitutions at half time ala Mourinho irrespective of how badly his game plan has turned out? I can't.

This latest thing about red zones if another joke statement an absolute farcical thing to come out with, a pathetic excuse.  Daniel Sturridge resumed training  yesterday after  an 8 week layoff.  He'll at least be on the bench next Pl weekend guaranteed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3761 on: November 13, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »
“Brown gives us one option – that’s to replace Saido if Saido has got a problem, but I think if I leave Saido out people might say ‘you are an idiot’.”
Bobby, unsurprisingly perhaps, seems to see things differently from the head coach:

"Ideye is also convinced that he can play alongside England new boy Saido Berahino, with Victor Anichebe being favoured at present.

He added: “It’s unfortunate he has made more time than me. Both of us play the same role but we can play together, I don’t have a problem with that. We have pace, we’re strong and we can cause problems to defences. That is what every coach wants
.”"

Source: Sky Sports

kc56wba

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3762 on: November 13, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
Bobby, unsurprisingly perhaps, seems to see things differently from the head coach:

"Ideye is also convinced that he can play alongside England new boy Saido Berahino, with Victor Anichebe being favoured at present.

He added: “It’s unfortunate he has made more time than me. Both of us play the same role but we can play together, I don’t have a problem with that. We have pace, we’re strong and we can cause problems to defences. That is what every coach wants
.”"

Bit of trouble brewing if you ask me.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3763 on: November 13, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
If we did it, wouldn't be a forum would it, it would be a Q&A with Alan Irvine.
My opinion is that he lacks a bit of bravery, I don't claim to have a direct insight into his personal courage, I can only speak about what I see on the pitch, the same as most people on here.
No one doubts his meticulous approach to preparation, but there comes a time where you have to take a risk. Granted, in the high pressure environment he works in, risks are accentuated and can go very wrong so caution is understandable, but at present he is at risk of going down with a whimper.
I don't even want him to go, I don't think another change at this point would do any good, I just want him to release the shackles a bit, especially at home.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3764 on: November 13, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »
My opinion is that he lacks a bit of bravery, I don't claim to have a direct insight into his personal courage, I can only speak about what I see on the pitch, the same as most people on here.
No one doubts his meticulous approach to preparation, but there comes a time where you have to take a risk. Granted, in the high pressure environment he works in, risks are accentuated and can go very wrong so caution is understandable, but at present he is at risk of going down with a whimper.
I don't even want him to go, I don't think another change at this point would do any good, I just want him to release the shackles a bit, especially at home.

For me this is one of the reasons he was a great coach and probably a much better number 2

JMullen95

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3765 on: November 13, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
We will never break teams down with slow pedestrian passing through the middle of the pitch, it may work against the bigger teams but it certainly does not against the lower sides, as shown this season with the exception of Burnley. We are a very boring team to watch, Brunt should play on the right so he can come inside on his left and use it to his advantage with more angles available. We will lose next week, draw to Arsenal then lose to West Ham and by that time I will want that boring, defensive, antiquated manager out of our club - to then be replaced by Mr All Out Attack aka Keith Downing

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3766 on: November 13, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »

Which makes him overly conservative, not necessarily lacking in intestinal fortitude. Otherwise it would imply that he arrives at some crucial moment in the game and declines to make a change out of fear, as opposed to being part of his usual approach to keep his starters on the pitch.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3767 on: November 13, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
Which makes him overly conservative, not necessarily lacking in intestinal fortitude. Otherwise it would imply that he arrives at some crucial moment in the game and declines to make a change out of fear, as opposed to being part of his usual approach to keep his starters on the pitch.
Of course there is an element of fear, it is a high stakes game, who wouldn't be scared of getting it wrong? The trouble is he is being overly conservative and it isn't getting results.
When he goes paintballing, he may be right gung ho, with intestinal fortitude aplenty, unfortunately on matchday I think fear of failure is restricting him.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3768 on: November 13, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
Of course there is an element of fear, it is a high stakes game, who wouldn't be scared of getting it wrong? The trouble is he is being overly conservative and it isn't getting results.
When he goes paintballing, he may be right gung ho, with intestinal fortitude aplenty, unfortunately on matchday I think fear of failure is restricting him.

I think you're being unfair to him by assuming the worst. But I'm probably in a small minority.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3769 on: November 13, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
I think you're being unfair to him by assuming the worst. But I'm probably in a small minority.
You may be right mate, but I can only speak as I find based on what I see on a matchday.
I guarantee one thing though, if we turn up at the next home game and he drops a couple of the old guard and brings in Varela and Gamboa on the wings, then it will be a completely different atmosphere around the ground.
Ok, it might not work, but it would certainly get the crowd going, whereas at present the team selection just promotes boredom.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3770 on: November 13, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »
Did we ever get to the bottom of the 'did Irvine turn us down first time round?' saga?

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3771 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
Did we ever get to the bottom of the 'did Irvine turn us down first time round?' saga?

I think we chose Di Matteo over him and he was saving face.

And I'd have chosen Di Matteo over him this time around too.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3772 on: November 13, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/preston/8120577.stm

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3773 on: November 13, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/preston/8120577.stm

But the club and local press (Lepko) said RDM was always our first choice and we never offered the job to Irvine.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3774 on: November 13, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »

.”"

The only way them two play together is if you put Berahino on the right like we did at the start of the season.
the regime don't like it man