Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1234775 times)

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2700 on: September 16, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »

Craig Gardner has urged fans to be patient with Alan Irvine.

Nar, not for me thank you.....

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2701 on: September 16, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
I think that the majority agree Mr Irvine was the wrong choice.

After the initial 'shock' of his appointment I think most hoped the decision was an inspired one and one in which we would look back on and think, that was brave but it worked.

Sadly, it has very quickly moved from the brave to the very stupid.

To add insult Burton added his two pence worth by stating Irvine is one of the best coaches around.

JP back this decision also.

So now we're stuck with a chairman who has either got to stick with the head coach we have and hopes it works out, or he comes out admits he is wrong (for the second time in less than a year) and sack him.

I know which one is more likely to happen.

For that reason alone I think we are stuck with Irvine for the short term.

Ironically, the squad we have now is probably better suited to Mel, and the one he had is probably more suited to Irvine.

JP has been known to act quickly in certain situations, such as Di Matteo's replacement, but also could be accused of acting too slow such as the stuff with Odemwingie.

My head says we will be gone just after Christmas, my heart hopes that Irvine turns this around.

For me JP needs to scrap the 'head coach' role, get rid of Downing & Irvine and replace them with a bloke who can knock a few heads together and get them sorted.

We need a manager not a coach, that has been clear for some time now.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2702 on: September 16, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
He's going going and hopefully soon to be gone. Disasterous appointment.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2703 on: September 16, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »

Gut feeling mate or something more concrete?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2704 on: September 16, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »

I don't share you optimism.

I think he'll be here for some time yet.

pau1200

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2705 on: September 16, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
I think after my initial get Irvine feeling after the performance the weekend I may have calmed by thoughts a little.

I'm not convinced by his team selection on Saturday but was that the best available? If it is then my only concern over his selection is why are we not playing Yacob.
Brown I fear is to lightweight at present and could take the best part of the season becoming used to playing in the prem like Valero did.
Its obvious Irvine wants to play 3-5-2 which should provide us with attacking football but the players are just not ready.

I'm not a brunt fan and hope that when the new players are ready he will become a squad player, if he still starts every game then Irvine is a fool.

Until the squad is fit and we know where we are player wise I think we need to back the team as we will only make things harder by booing etc.

If when the squad is fit and available we are still playing like we did on Saturday then ill be the first there with an Irvine out banner!!!!

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2706 on: September 16, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »
Gut feeling mate or something more concrete?

The signs are that the board now know he's not the next Roy Hodgson, probably get a bit more time for when the players are fit. But the club were annoyed with the arrangement of a friendly last week and then not one of the players who it was for played the weekend from the start. Irvine needs to take some risks with the players fitness as it has never been an issue before, think Odemwingie. Even for other clubs, Ben arfa has had less pre season than any of our other signings yet manages to play last night for 15-20 mins. Varela, in a slightly better situation is no where near our team at the moment. Truly baffling

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2707 on: September 16, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
well continuing on from baggie96, if we get beat heavily at Spurs he'll be gone if we don't he will get the cup game and Burnley

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2708 on: September 16, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »
well continuing on from baggie96, if we get beat heavily at Spurs he'll be gone if we don't he will get the cup game and Burnley

That sounds about right. Having said that, decision much depends on who's available?

If anything stops them, that will be the only reason, for sure.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2709 on: September 16, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
That sounds about right. Having said that, decision much depends on who's available?

If anything stops them, that will be the only reason, for sure.

An agent on twitter suggested Pulis would be favourite and would be interested. Though other rumours are linking him with Cardiff and Fulham.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2710 on: September 16, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure no appointment could be any worse than this one but does anyone really trust the club to get the next one right? I've lost all faith in the clubs recruitment both staff and player wise. It seems to have fallen apart over the last 18 months.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2711 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
The signs are that the board now know he's not the next Roy Hodgson, probably get a bit more time for when the players are fit. But the club were annoyed with the arrangement of a friendly last week and then not one of the players who it was for played the weekend from the start. Irvine needs to take some risks with the players fitness as it has never been an issue before, think Odemwingie. Even for other clubs, Ben arfa has had less pre season than any of our other signings yet manages to play last night for 15-20 mins. Varela, in a slightly better situation is no where near our team at the moment. Truly baffling

They could have saved themselves a lot of heartache by just asking me if this was even remotely likely before they "head hunted" him. Still can't get over that part, 6 weeks due diligence and no one who applied got the gig.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2712 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
If when the squad is fit and available we are still playing like we did on Saturday then ill be the first there with an Irvine out banner!!!!

Could I therefore suggest you get to work on one this evening after work, best to be prepared  :D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2713 on: September 16, 2014, 01:12:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure no appointment could be any worse than this one but does anyone really trust the club to get the next one right? I've lost all faith in the clubs recruitment both staff and player wise. It seems to have fallen apart over the last 18 months.

If it was Pulis, I wouldn't even be worried about Downing and Kiely staying because there would be no blurred lines, no confusion who was actually in charge, no "we do it this way here". They'd have to fall in line or their roles would be marginalised by TP.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2714 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »

Says who?
"This crack is really moreish."

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2715 on: September 16, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
If it was Pulis, I wouldn't even be worried about Downing and Kiely staying because there would be no blurred lines, no confusion who was actually in charge, no "we do it this way here". They'd have to fall in line or their roles would be marginalised by TP.

I'd be delighted with Pulis, I'm sure a lot wouldn't be but he is exactly what we need at the moment to come in and really shake things up. Would he be interested in working within the current set up or will JP finally see things are not working and look to do it differently?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2716 on: September 16, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2717 on: September 16, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
Right ok then here goes
The next 4 games
Tottenham
Burnley
Livepool
Man utd
How many points will save his skin
We then have a run of 3 winnable games but i said that at the start of the season. Palace, Leicester, Newcastle
We then have Arsenal and Chelsea
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2718 on: September 16, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
aint it funny 12 months ago we would have said noooooooooooooo to Pulis but i like many consider him god now :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2719 on: September 16, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2720 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »
aint it funny 12 months ago we would have said noooooooooooooo to Pulis but i like many consider him god now :)
I think a lot of fans would be much happier with any of the names we turned our noses up at in the past
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2721 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

i still don't but i don't get to pick  :)

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2722 on: September 16, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
Right ok then here goes
The next 4 games
Tottenham
Burnley
Livepool
Man utd
How many points will save his skin
We then have a run of 3 winnable games but i said that at the start of the season. Palace, Leicester, Newcastle
We then have Arsenal and Chelsea

Next 4 games I want/expect 4 points.  I don't think this is unrealistic - and also for us to win our cup tie.  6 points from 8 games isn't a particularly pleasing return but considering we would have played Everton, Spurs, Liverpool and United its not wholly unexpected. 

Personally I have a feeling that Palace at home at the end of October will be a big game in our season.
"This crack is really moreish."

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2723 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Next 4 games I want/expect 4 points.  I don't think this is unrealistic - and also for us to win our cup tie.  6 points from 8 games isn't a particularly pleasing return but considering we would have played Everton, Spurs, Liverpool and United its not wholly unexpected. 

Personally I have a feeling that Palace at home at the end of October will be a big game in our season.

Pulis v Palace!  :D

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2724 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »

i'd say that wouldn't be unrealistic at all mate, but can't see it at min