Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754612 times)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2700 on: September 16, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
He's going going and hopefully soon to be gone. Disasterous appointment.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2701 on: September 16, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »

Gut feeling mate or something more concrete?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2702 on: September 16, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »

I don't share you optimism.

I think he'll be here for some time yet.

pau1200

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2703 on: September 16, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
I think after my initial get Irvine feeling after the performance the weekend I may have calmed by thoughts a little.

I'm not convinced by his team selection on Saturday but was that the best available? If it is then my only concern over his selection is why are we not playing Yacob.
Brown I fear is to lightweight at present and could take the best part of the season becoming used to playing in the prem like Valero did.
Its obvious Irvine wants to play 3-5-2 which should provide us with attacking football but the players are just not ready.

I'm not a brunt fan and hope that when the new players are ready he will become a squad player, if he still starts every game then Irvine is a fool.

Until the squad is fit and we know where we are player wise I think we need to back the team as we will only make things harder by booing etc.

If when the squad is fit and available we are still playing like we did on Saturday then ill be the first there with an Irvine out banner!!!!

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2704 on: September 16, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »
Gut feeling mate or something more concrete?

The signs are that the board now know he's not the next Roy Hodgson, probably get a bit more time for when the players are fit. But the club were annoyed with the arrangement of a friendly last week and then not one of the players who it was for played the weekend from the start. Irvine needs to take some risks with the players fitness as it has never been an issue before, think Odemwingie. Even for other clubs, Ben arfa has had less pre season than any of our other signings yet manages to play last night for 15-20 mins. Varela, in a slightly better situation is no where near our team at the moment. Truly baffling

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2705 on: September 16, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
well continuing on from baggie96, if we get beat heavily at Spurs he'll be gone if we don't he will get the cup game and Burnley

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2706 on: September 16, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »
well continuing on from baggie96, if we get beat heavily at Spurs he'll be gone if we don't he will get the cup game and Burnley

That sounds about right. Having said that, decision much depends on who's available?

If anything stops them, that will be the only reason, for sure.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2707 on: September 16, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
That sounds about right. Having said that, decision much depends on who's available?

If anything stops them, that will be the only reason, for sure.

An agent on twitter suggested Pulis would be favourite and would be interested. Though other rumours are linking him with Cardiff and Fulham.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2708 on: September 16, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure no appointment could be any worse than this one but does anyone really trust the club to get the next one right? I've lost all faith in the clubs recruitment both staff and player wise. It seems to have fallen apart over the last 18 months.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2709 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
The signs are that the board now know he's not the next Roy Hodgson, probably get a bit more time for when the players are fit. But the club were annoyed with the arrangement of a friendly last week and then not one of the players who it was for played the weekend from the start. Irvine needs to take some risks with the players fitness as it has never been an issue before, think Odemwingie. Even for other clubs, Ben arfa has had less pre season than any of our other signings yet manages to play last night for 15-20 mins. Varela, in a slightly better situation is no where near our team at the moment. Truly baffling

They could have saved themselves a lot of heartache by just asking me if this was even remotely likely before they "head hunted" him. Still can't get over that part, 6 weeks due diligence and no one who applied got the gig.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2710 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
If when the squad is fit and available we are still playing like we did on Saturday then ill be the first there with an Irvine out banner!!!!

Could I therefore suggest you get to work on one this evening after work, best to be prepared  :D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2711 on: September 16, 2014, 01:12:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure no appointment could be any worse than this one but does anyone really trust the club to get the next one right? I've lost all faith in the clubs recruitment both staff and player wise. It seems to have fallen apart over the last 18 months.

If it was Pulis, I wouldn't even be worried about Downing and Kiely staying because there would be no blurred lines, no confusion who was actually in charge, no "we do it this way here". They'd have to fall in line or their roles would be marginalised by TP.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2712 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »

Says who?
"This crack is really moreish."

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2713 on: September 16, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
If it was Pulis, I wouldn't even be worried about Downing and Kiely staying because there would be no blurred lines, no confusion who was actually in charge, no "we do it this way here". They'd have to fall in line or their roles would be marginalised by TP.

I'd be delighted with Pulis, I'm sure a lot wouldn't be but he is exactly what we need at the moment to come in and really shake things up. Would he be interested in working within the current set up or will JP finally see things are not working and look to do it differently?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2714 on: September 16, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2715 on: September 16, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
Right ok then here goes
The next 4 games
Tottenham
Burnley
Livepool
Man utd
How many points will save his skin
We then have a run of 3 winnable games but i said that at the start of the season. Palace, Leicester, Newcastle
We then have Arsenal and Chelsea
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2716 on: September 16, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
aint it funny 12 months ago we would have said noooooooooooooo to Pulis but i like many consider him god now :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2717 on: September 16, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2718 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »
aint it funny 12 months ago we would have said noooooooooooooo to Pulis but i like many consider him god now :)
I think a lot of fans would be much happier with any of the names we turned our noses up at in the past
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2719 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

i still don't but i don't get to pick  :)

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2720 on: September 16, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
Right ok then here goes
The next 4 games
Tottenham
Burnley
Livepool
Man utd
How many points will save his skin
We then have a run of 3 winnable games but i said that at the start of the season. Palace, Leicester, Newcastle
We then have Arsenal and Chelsea

Next 4 games I want/expect 4 points.  I don't think this is unrealistic - and also for us to win our cup tie.  6 points from 8 games isn't a particularly pleasing return but considering we would have played Everton, Spurs, Liverpool and United its not wholly unexpected. 

Personally I have a feeling that Palace at home at the end of October will be a big game in our season.
"This crack is really moreish."

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2721 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Next 4 games I want/expect 4 points.  I don't think this is unrealistic - and also for us to win our cup tie.  6 points from 8 games isn't a particularly pleasing return but considering we would have played Everton, Spurs, Liverpool and United its not wholly unexpected. 

Personally I have a feeling that Palace at home at the end of October will be a big game in our season.

Pulis v Palace!  :D

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2722 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »

i'd say that wouldn't be unrealistic at all mate, but can't see it at min

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2723 on: September 16, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
Have to say i think Irvine is on a hiding to nothing but i think we need to get some perspective.

I dont know of one person who wanted him as coach (i didnt want him either) and i still dont think he is the right person for the job but he has to be given some time to prove himself, not 4 league games and a cup match! (Which by hook or by crook we won)

Whoever came in was going to have a massive job, the last 18 months upto this summer had been drab, there appeared to be a culture and mentality within the club and with the players we got rid of it was a chance for a fresh start.

A fresh start doesnt happen overnight, i know he is getting a lot of stick for new players not playing but none of us know their fitness levels, we dont work with them everyday so its to easy to say throw them in. Players who were signed preseason (Wisdom, Poco, Baird, Gardner) have all featured reguarly so it shows he isnt tied into some having to pick the existing players that were there and they rule the roost. Lescott played Pre-season and got injured, thats not Irvines fault.

For those saying chuck them in, Samaras and Davidson as far as i know are the only ones who played since May when they played at tge World Cup, even then they were out by end of June and clubless til middle of August so they could of done training on their own but its not the same as a preseason. Blanco  and Varela i dont think had any real preseason so they are playing catchup and if an example is needed, Ideye (who came in a bit before Samaras, Davidson, Blanco and Varela) and did do some training still looks yards off the pace and the other lads are even further behind him!

It is frustrating as we all want to see the best players we have but these blokes havent played in the premiership before (which is widely acknowledged as completely different to anywhere else in terms of pace and stamina) and worst thing is to chuck them in when they arent fit and they get injured after an hour and out for weeks, Morrison Saturday had gone by the hour and they game bypassed him. I only play Sunday league level nowadays but was lucky enough to play at a good standard and the higher you go, fitness and sharpness becomes even more crucial, even now if i have a few weeks off over Xmas next game back i am struggling.

Basically you would hope if Irvine had the new signings available they would play, i am sure he wants to win games as much as anyone. I would hope that the new signings would maybe play another closed doors game this week and then be ready for Sunday, Spurs last season spent over £100m on new signings and they never really gelled, Liverpool this season have lost 2 of their first 4, Man United were poor there first few games, but given time they will come good, although they have better players than us, the same thing applies - it dont happen overnight.

What we have seen so far Irvine hasnt given us a great deal to get excited about, however he is still having to play 75% of last seasons squad who have been in poor form for 18 months and probably very low on confidence, we have a lot of new players to come in who can freshen it up and so lets judge then. I think he has made mistakes, the first 2 x games were positive, but since then we have got worse, however the best coach in the world cannot do much if people make individual errors like we have done, what he can do when he has the players available is replace those who make the errors.

As i say i dont expect Irvine to succeed,  i think even if we won the next 4, the next defeat people will be straight back onto him because he is Alan Irvine and he isnt an exciting name, Pepe Mel was worshipped by some yet he had 20 odd games in charge i think and i would say out of those we were decent in about 5 maximum,  Irvine has been decent in 2 out of 5, so maybe he does deserve a bit more time.

Whoever came in had a massive job and i think would of struggled, yet the atmosphere at the game Saturday was poisonous, thats where we as fans need to look at ourselves in my opinion, i have always said if a player does something stupid like punching someone, boo him, if the players arent trying (which it looked as though they didnt lots of times last season) let them know, boo them, but when they are trying and just either a) not good enough or b) make mistakes (which we all do) whats the point? We all groan or moan if somebody does something wrong but the prolonged booing, jeering, etc is pathetic and on Saturday you could sense it before the game and it set the tone. The players have to give something for us to cheer about, but although Swansea was a shocker, the 2 x league games prior to that against Sunderland and Southampton i think the players had gave enough that they at least deserved support against Everton rather than the booing and jeering that took place.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2724 on: September 16, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »
The scales have tipped too far with the supporters. I cannot see him turning them around, he needs two wins minimum from the next 4 games. If we fail to beat Burnley there will be no return. That said I didn't think the atmosphere was as bad Saturday as some are making out, it was just very flat. If anything it was far worse in the Oxford game.