Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1745897 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2675 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »
It is quite interesting what a bit of research shows rather than relying on gossip on internet forums.

His "failures" in a bit more context.

Made manager of Preston when they were 21st in the division and fighting a relegation battle and finished 15th, failure?  Following season got them in the play offs, failure? Sacked in 2009 when in 16th position (ended in 17th) and Preston fans demonstrated about his sacking, failure?
Appointed Sheff Wednesday manager 9 days after getting the sack from Preston (impressive turn around) when they were in 22nd but didn't keep them up. Failure?
Was the 7th manager of Sheff Wednesday in 10 years, prior to his appointment SW avoided relegation on the last day of the season, then finished 12th and were in a relegation spot when he joined. They went into administration 3 months after he arrived and was dismissed by a new chairman a month after he arrived at the club with the club in 15th. Arguably his time at Sheff Wed was a failure, but in the context of the club at the time anything but failure would probably have been a miracle.

That was his record in the Championship and League 1. This is the Premier League! at totally different kettle of fish.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2676 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »
Four league matches and a squad that has never been fully available since he arrived.   ???

And it hasn't all been drab but we can gloss over that. ;)

A 20 minute spell against Sunderland and the rest has been unacceptable.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2677 on: September 16, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
I guess the counter argument to that is - if he was so good or even solid, why hasn't he been in management since? ,,,,,,,, which makes me wonder ...............has he even wanted to be since?  Has he applied for managers jobs in between times?  Or have we head hunted someone who had no burning desire to return to management but we gave him an opportunity too tempting to refuse?
That is one he would have to answer himself, any other answer is mere speculation.

Plenty of managers have spells out of the game though, whether by choice or lack of opportunity.  Roy Keane and Glen Hoddle have come back as number twos, Alan Curbishley has been gone ages. David Moyes, Tony Pulis (shudder)...
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2678 on: September 16, 2014, 09:32:02 AM »
It seems to me that Irvine is a Monday to Friday manager. He is apparently very meticulous in his preparation and analysis and the players appreciate his methods.
However, and I said this tongue in cheek earlier, but there may be some substance to it, every Saturday the opposition turn up and get in the way. He then struggles to adapt and react to what happens on the day, hence his statuesque 'well I never expected that' touchline appearance and reluctance to change formations and personnel.
His fastidious approach could also impact on the missing newcomers. He obviously puts great stock in the fitness of the players and maybe he deems them not fit, whereby another manager might assess the situation and think them worth the risk.
If he wants to keep his job and turn it around he needs to stop hamstringing himself, become more flexible and take some risks.
Throw yeah cock and balls at it Alan, it's your last chance.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2679 on: September 16, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
That was his record in the Championship and League 1. This is the Premier League! at totally different kettle of fish.
How did Brendan Rogers get on with Reading in the Championship?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2680 on: September 16, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
How did Brendan Rogers get on with Reading in the Championship?

Two totally different mind sets like comparing chalk & cheese.
They are totally different were it counts most & thats on a match day monday - friday they both know what there up to.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2681 on: September 16, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »

I wish I had the interest to even discuss the bloke.

As it is, I haven't.

Get him gone.

I want to ask him this question.

'If all of the new signings are still not match fit, could you give us an indication as to why none of them were involved in the U21 match on Monday evening?'

Bottom line is he's got no interest in playing them (Lescott aside). Ridiculous management.

If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2682 on: September 16, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
I wish I had the interest to even discuss the bloke.

As it is, I haven't.

Get him gone.

I want to ask him this question.

'If all of the new signings are still not match fit, could you give us an indication as to why none of them were involved in the U21 match on Monday evening?'

Bottom line is he's got no interest in playing them (Lescott aside). Ridiculous management.

If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.
Exactly my thoughts when I saw the U21 team selection. Looks like he had already been brainwashed into becoming part of the deadly duo's chummy pals setup. Same team Sunday then!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2683 on: September 16, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
Exactly my thoughts when I saw the U21 team selection. Looks like he had already been brainwashed into becoming part of the deadly duo's chummy pals setup. Same team Sunday then!
Do you really think Peace will sit around and watch players he has paid good money for sit about doing nothing?
Worst way to wind Jezza up is not losing games it's wasting his cash.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2684 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Has it actually been explained anywhere, by Irvine or anyone else, why Varela and Lescott weren't even in the squad on Saturday? I may have missed it.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2685 on: September 16, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
It's all good and well saying wait until everyone is fit. When they are which of the sacred cows is Irvine going to be brave enough to drop? Olsson and Brunt must go for starters IMO. Whether they will is a different matter.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2686 on: September 16, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »

Interested to hear your thoughts.

If Albion lose narrowly on Sunday and show improvement, I expect AI to be given the cup game and the Burnley game.

However, if we lose heavily I expect JP to get the 'AK47' out on Sunday evening/Monday.

In some ways, if we lose Sunday, I'd rather him go then because I wouldn't be able to trust him with the Burnley game.

That's a match we HAVE to win, to stand any chance in my opinion.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2687 on: September 16, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
I saw a tweet this morning mentioning that Irvine had been given 4 weeks to save his job.

Spurs (a)
Hull (h) cup
Burnley (h)
Liverpool (a)

Good luck then Al, you'll need it.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2688 on: September 16, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
I feel sorry for the bloke to be honest. He's dreadfully out of his depth as it is but to expect him to work miracles with this garbage squad, full of "senior pros" who run the club along with Dumb and Dumber on the touchline. That said, the bloke is absolutely clueless and I can't wait until he's gone. He's not the whole problem, but he is a massive hindrance.

We really do need a massive shake up and a complete overhaul of the structure at the club. Downing and Kiely need to go for starters. Irvine and Burton, the footballing dinosaurs, get rid. Start again and give someone with a pair of balls who won't take any nonsense from the "senior pros" the job of MANAGER of West Bromwich Albion.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2689 on: September 16, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
I saw a tweet this morning mentioning that Irvine had been given 4 weeks to save his job.

Spurs (a)
Hull (h) cup
Burnley (h)
Liverpool (a)

Liverpool is one game too many IMO.

Here's how I see it from my POV:

Spurs: We may well lose, but if the team goes down fighting and shows more enterprise going forward then I'll given AI the benefit of the doubt.

Hull: I want a win no question. But that doesn't necessarily mean I expect one. Lose that (especially if we lose meekly) and the pressure will build from more of us in the stands.

Burnley: A tepid draw or a loss and that'll be it for me, and I dare say a lot of others like me in the stands.

BUT the question is how will JP see it? I guess that all depends on how willing and understanding he is as regards the 'they aren't all match fit yet' reasoning. And it also depends on how much his head has been turned by other coaches currently- or soon to be- available on the market.

And it's the JP factor I have no insight into but which interests me the most.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2690 on: September 16, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
Two totally different mind sets like comparing chalk & cheese.
They are totally different were it counts most & thats on a match day monday - friday they both know what there up to.
Not the point, if Liverpool had not looked beyond Rodger's "failure" at Reading they wouldn't necessarily be playing Champions League football this season. They also only got two points out of their first five league matches under his charge.  :-X
Again, not suggesting Irvine will be as successful as Rodgers (we don't have Liverpool's resource) but needs to be given a chance.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2691 on: September 16, 2014, 11:34:49 AM »

Spurs (a)
Hull (h) cup
Burnley (h)
Liverpool (a)

What is JP or Martin Swains twitter account because I'd like to follow them?  ::)

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2692 on: September 16, 2014, 11:35:05 AM »
Not the point, if Liverpool had not looked beyond Rodger's "failure" at Reading they wouldn't necessarily be playing Champions League football this season. They also only got two points out of their first five league matches under his charge.  :-X
Again, not suggesting Irvine will be as successful as Rodgers (we don't have Liverpool's resource) but needs to be given a chance.

Given a chance to absolutely ruin us and coach any attacking flair and creativity out of our squad? No ta.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2693 on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
Given a chance to absolutely ruin us and coach any attacking flair and creativity out of our squad? No ta.
Because you know that is happening.   ::)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2694 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:36 AM »

Most of us knew it was going to happen the second Irvine was appointed.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2695 on: September 16, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »

Do you know it's not?

You can post all the sarcastic comments, rolling eye emojis and positive spin you want, it will never make Alan Irvine any less of a clueless head coach.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:02:10 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2696 on: September 16, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
One thing I have noticed about our play, which, whilst it certainly is not solely Irvines fault, but has been made worse since he came is our transitional play.

Moving from defence to attack is so slow. I watched the hull game last night and both teams were quick going forward from defence. You watch Foster look about for ages, then ping a kick straight into the crowd, then you look at other keepers quickly getting the ball out. Not Fosters fault, but more to do with our slow labouring team, constantly plodding around.

If he wants to set up defensively, he needs to have an element of pace to be able to counter teams once we regain possession. Picking a team with the likes of Brunt Dorrans Morrison and Gardner in the middle does him no favours when adopting this style.

As one of the 'best coaches' available, he should be able to rectify these things.

In short, he hasn't got a clue
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2697 on: September 16, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Do you know it's not?

You can post all the sarcastic comments, rolling eye emojis and positive spin you want, it will never make Alan Irvine any less of a clueless prat.

I only post sarcastic comments when the posts deserve them.

I don't know what goes on the training field any more than you do but I don't also suggest that I do. However, there are enough people at the club that do and if "the clueless prat" is coaching attacking flair and creativity out of the squad then he will no doubt be getting his P45 in due course and I imagine a huge compensation payout. (Maybe not that clueless)

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2698 on: September 16, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »

Craig Gardner has urged fans to be patient with Alan Irvine.

Nar, not for me thank you.....

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2699 on: September 16, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
I think that the majority agree Mr Irvine was the wrong choice.

After the initial 'shock' of his appointment I think most hoped the decision was an inspired one and one in which we would look back on and think, that was brave but it worked.

Sadly, it has very quickly moved from the brave to the very stupid.

To add insult Burton added his two pence worth by stating Irvine is one of the best coaches around.

JP back this decision also.

So now we're stuck with a chairman who has either got to stick with the head coach we have and hopes it works out, or he comes out admits he is wrong (for the second time in less than a year) and sack him.

I know which one is more likely to happen.

For that reason alone I think we are stuck with Irvine for the short term.

Ironically, the squad we have now is probably better suited to Mel, and the one he had is probably more suited to Irvine.

JP has been known to act quickly in certain situations, such as Di Matteo's replacement, but also could be accused of acting too slow such as the stuff with Odemwingie.

My head says we will be gone just after Christmas, my heart hopes that Irvine turns this around.

For me JP needs to scrap the 'head coach' role, get rid of Downing & Irvine and replace them with a bloke who can knock a few heads together and get them sorted.

We need a manager not a coach, that has been clear for some time now.