Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1234780 times)

wba606

• Baby Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2525 on: September 14, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
the big mistake he made today was not playing yacob in a four man midfield, containing similar players leaving big spaces between defense and midfield.

before watching the match online today i expected and abject performance, but i thought we played decent with two mistakes killing us, everton didn't play much better than us other than a 15 mins after the second goal. i really hope that blanco and gamboa play the next match and lescott comes i for Olson.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2526 on: September 14, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »
What will it say? "5 games Enough is Enough!!"

It's so much more than that though and you know it. It's been the wrong appointment since day one. I can't believe we even gave the guy a second thought, let alone an interview and then the job.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2527 on: September 14, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »
Let's hope he wasn't scouting QPR aswell. Just imagine if he was still at the helm come Christmas! A very blunt butter knife would be on my crimbo wish list, got to be better to cut my wrists that way than to take any more AI,
But hey, he's a hard worker, always first in and last out an the lads are happy in training.  ::)

It's all that counts, it's a happy club, happy training ground, trainings fun, they am hovin a loff, while the fans are requesting butter knives for xmas lol.

Fish kinives am just as blunt, painful and slow....
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2528 on: September 14, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »
It's so much more than that though and you know it. It's been the wrong appointment since day one. I can't believe we even gave the guy a second thought, let alone an interview an then the job.

Perhaps but it's just embarrassing for fans to act in such an undignified manner. By all accounts this is a good man who is trying his hardest. If it transpires he isn't good enough so be it but he deserves a modicum of support surely. If results are poor he will lose his job and he will have ruined his last opportunity to manage at such a high level. He'll be aware of the consequences.

I don't know why he was appointed, we would have mocked any club who had done similar but it's done now. We have to give him a fair chance. It's been 4 league games.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2529 on: September 14, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
If the dingles or the Vile had appointed him, we'd have been queuing up to take the pee. but no we appointed him, beggars belief
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2530 on: September 14, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »
Perhaps but it's just embarrassing for fans to act in such an undignified manner. By all accounts this is a good man who is trying his hardest. If it transpires he isn't good enough so be it but he deserves a modicum of support surely. If results are poor he will lose his job and he will have ruined his last opportunity to manage at such a high level. He'll be aware of the consequences.

I don't know why he was appointed, we would have mocked any club who had done similar but it's done now. We have to give him a fair chance. It's been 4 league games.
Even if giving him a fair chance will not give enough time too a successor?

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2531 on: September 14, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »
Even if giving him a fair chance will not give enough time too a successor?

Him being sacked has nothing to with the fans it will be down to results and the board anyway. Fans just generate an atmosphere and at the moment it's atrocious.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2532 on: September 14, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »
The chants of sack the coaching staff should be ringing around the Hawthorns.  The fans are too soft though which plays into Peace's hands.  The club has been rotten since Ashworth and Hodgson left.  No leadership, guidance, direction, nothing.  Senior players running the show instead of the manager and players that should have gone ages ago.  The whole place stinks of complacency, what's the point?  I feel sick how much this Pulis coaching set up is paid by us the fans.  Time to stand up and be counted and not be accepting of this utter garbage.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2533 on: September 14, 2014, 11:23:19 PM »
What will it say? "5 games Enough is Enough!!"
Well yeah, as a club we need a motivating manager, not afraid to get stuck in. We are already in the bottom 3 so yes we need change in how our club is run. That ok for you? Doesn't hurt getting your voice heard instead of being nice little old west brom.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2534 on: September 14, 2014, 11:25:41 PM »
i seriously think JP will drag Burton into office tomorrow morning and tell him to start the search for a replacement immediately.
We know the process will take some weeks and JP is savvy enough to know he cannot leave the status quo in place for more than another 3 games max. i also think that in his new "things will change" incarnation JP will be acknowledging the KD / DK issue and the new head coach will be able to bring in his own team.

All of this could result in a certain Mr Sherwood being in the running IMO.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2535 on: September 14, 2014, 11:29:55 PM »
i seriously think JP will drag Burton into office tomorrow morning and tell him to start the search for a replacement immediately.
We know the process will take some weeks and JP is savvy enough to know he cannot leave the status quo in place for more than another 3 games max. i also think that in his new "things will change" incarnation JP will be acknowledging the KD / DK issue and the new head coach will be able to bring in his own team.

All of this could result in a certain Mr Sherwood being in the running IMO.

I'll have two pints of whatever you're drinking.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2536 on: September 14, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »
Well yeah, as a club we need a motivating manager, not afraid to get stuck in. We are already in the bottom 3 so yes we need change in how our club is run. That ok for you? Doesn't hurt getting your voice heard instead of being nice little old west brom.

I do think a lot of fan's have totally lost any sense of perspective. Modern game and all that I guess. If this was someone with a better reputation or an unknown quantity like, I dunno, lets say Pepe Mel when he came in, you'd be a laughing stock for suggesting he should go after such a short period of time. You'd be saying they haven't let him bring staff in, you'd say how can he bed 11 players in straight away with all the injuries and fitness issues, you'd make excuse after excuse for him. This is Irvine though he failed at two clubs; I'm sure you've scrutinised his time at both Preston and Sheffield Wednesday in great detail in deduced he is clueless, destined to fail and therefore deserves no time or to be treated fairly.

Yes we are in the bottom three but we are hardly cut adrift are we? The way the club is run isn't simply the head coach is it? In fact that's a small part of the overall set-up. I hear the 'little old west brom' voices every home game and they aren't nice. We are no better than any fans of any club I've encountered . Inpatient. Great when it's good, negative when it's bad -ironically when you need fans the most. What would set us apart is supporting a struggling side and head coach who desperately needs us but that is not going to happen is it?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:53:13 PM by KingKoren »

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2537 on: September 15, 2014, 12:15:51 AM »
I do think a lot of fan's have totally lost any sense of perspective. Modern game and all that I guess. If this was someone with a better reputation or an unknown quantity like, I dunno, lets say Pepe Mel when he came in, you'd be a laughing stock for suggesting he should go after such a short period of time. You'd be saying they haven't let him bring staff in, you'd say how can he bed 11 players in straight away with all the injuries and fitness issues, you'd make excuse after excuse for him. This is Irvine though he failed at two clubs; I'm sure you've scrutinised his time at both Preston and Sheffield Wednesday in great detail in deduced he is clueless, destined to fail and therefore deserves no time or to be treated fairly.

Yes we are in the bottom three but we are hardly cut adrift are we? The way the club is run isn't simply the head coach is it? In fact that's a small part of the overall set-up. I hear the 'little old west brom' voices every home game and they aren't nice. We are no better than any fans of any club I've encountered . Inpatient. Great when it's good, negative when it's bad -ironically when you need fans the most. What would set us apart is supporting a struggling side and head coach who desperately needs us but that is not going to happen is it?
The modern game has created this sense of urgency, and although none of us like it, there is now a detachment between fans and clubs which does cause for impatience. I know I speak for many others when I say usually a manager will have a honeymoon period in his early games and so far we have seen little fight which is deeply concerning. On top of this clubs are now targeting us for points at every game after last seasons poor showing. We want some ambition for our club and Irvine has not shown any, in fact he's showing a lot of respect for the opposition, and we are not playing to our potential. The stakes are so high for staying in this league more than ever so maybe we need a rethink in how we are going to survive. I pray we can get something on Sunday to settle the nerves but I just can't see it. I do agree though, we do need to support the team but that's it, the team, not the clubs hierarchy. I won't condone booing or jeering, I don't think that helps at all, but I can understand the unhappiness at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:18:43 AM by crazedwbafan18 »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2538 on: September 15, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »
The chants of sack the coaching staff should be ringing around the Hawthorns.  The fans are too soft though which plays into Peace's hands.  The club has been rotten since Ashworth and Hodgson left.  No leadership, guidance, direction, nothing.  Senior players running the show instead of the manager and players that should have gone ages ago.  The whole place stinks of complacency, what's the point?  I feel sick how much this Pulis coaching set up is paid by us the fans.  Time to stand up and be counted and not be accepting of this utter garbage.

Absolutely correct.We just sit back and accept.Enough is enough.
Irvine and his coaching staff inc Downing have 2 games to get 4 points with improved peformances minimum
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:52:32 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2539 on: September 15, 2014, 07:52:50 AM »
How long would Sherwood have got on the same results?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2540 on: September 15, 2014, 07:54:04 AM »
How long would Sherwood have got on the same results?

Longer.We would have seen a totally different approach.All we expect at the Albion is effort and passion, trying to win, thats good enough for me
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:57:49 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2541 on: September 15, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »
The only thing I'll say in Irvine's defence is that he hasn't resorted to long ball yet. I also don't think he plays that narrow. On Saturday Brunt and Poc on the left especially saw plenty of the ball 1st half and Wisdom was flagging for the ball on the right quite often. The problem is we have no pace or threat in those wide positions.

Swansea have Dyer and Routledge and then bring on Montero off the bench.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2542 on: September 15, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

Longer.We would have seen a totally different approach.All we expect at the Albion is effort and passion, trying to win, thats good enough for me

That sums it up perfectly for me.  Effort and passion, trying to win.  It should be a given, but its just not there at present.  It starts from the top down. If the head coach hasn't got it, then it is unlikely to be there.

If we are to get relegated, then I want to see us go down shattered, having given our all, not feebly waving a white flag by the end if October.

Under AI we are going down.  It is hard to see any other outcome. 

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2543 on: September 15, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »
I've started posting on this thread a bit now, having spent the summer kidding myself it might work out and wanting AI to succeed, but I just can't see anything but disaster ahead now. 

"Charisma"/confidence/chutzpah/bumptiousness call it what you like, it may be innate or it may be learned, who knows, and it may not always be a likeable characteristic, but I'm sorry, Irvine looks like a rabbit in the headlights to me.

Pulis - I don't care if he plays hoofball and is a self-promoting knob, he can keep us up.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2544 on: September 15, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
Going to have a little post on my thoughts at the moment regarding our club, The problems are beyond and alot deeper than brunt and Irvine that's why i don't get the booing and slagging them off.

It was pivitol this season that after last we got off to a good start mainly because of last seasons disasters which should have seen us relegated but also because of our head coach appointment. The clubs hierarchy/football department have dropped a big boo boo in my eyes in the way that we have bought seven or so players that need a mini preseason when it was vital we hit the ground running especially for Big Als sake and to avoid this toxic atmosphere that now surrounds us once again, With a run of tough fixtures coming up.

Onto the match day squad it looks as though we need a big injection of pace and creativity something that has been missing for 18 months or so as soon as that Chelsea penalty went in it was left behind in London, I see nothing in front of me that excites me or gets me on the edge of my seat our midfield looks bland and has the positivity and ambition of an old folks home. Brunt needs dropping not booing to move us forward as does dorrans and if it wasn't for Everton performance i would say saido aswell especially now we have the reinforcements up to speed.

Onto our head coach i feel sorry for him i really do he is working as a coach not a head coach in my eyes, We have two and one has a job for life the other is brought in to work alongside him and possibly Deano it looked like last season, You could tell that Pepe thoroughly didnt enjoy the situation at all. We look like a good old fashioned English youth team in the way "its the taking part that counts" were really enjoying ourselves this week in training, It gets my back up im not saying they shouldn't enjoy it but first we need to see results on the pitch.

Fosters recent article was right our fans were embarrassing however then i draped across the part where he said Brunt would be first name on my team sheet every week again i'm not sure whether he really believes that and ive heard a lot different but again its stinks of a set up where everyones far too comfortable in there roles for the ludicrous wages they get paid as with all pro footballers.

Not that id want to see Pulis anywhere near our club but do people honestly think he would be brought in ?, It would be like sending Adolf Hitler to work with Jehovah witnesses. I struggle to see a way forward at the moment, I'm hoping Blanco and valera can help change things around and bring back some excitement to the place.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:09:44 AM by kris_boing »

baggieboytom

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2545 on: September 15, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
I largely agree with mulliganstired, For the first time in 12+years I actually thought about leaving the game early. Although I still made myself sit through it too the end and was probably the only person near where I sit that clapped while some fans boo'ed. (just because I don't like to boo, but I don't moan at people that do because they are entitled to boo such a poor performance).

I never really made to many comments about AI until I saw how he would perform on the big stage and to say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. I thought this appointment would either be genius or a big failure and unfortunately early signs are its the latter.

I think the spurs game in terms of getting a result is already a write off but I would like to see him gee the players up to put in a stellar performance. Then the real test will be hull (cup) and burnley. If we don't win those 2 games I think its time to put this "experiment??" to an end and bring in someone who is going to sort out this bunch of overpaid prema donnas!

As much as I would hate it to be Pulis, you can't deny what effect he had on Palace last season and it's something we desperately need. I won't care at that point how bad the football is I just want my beloved club to stay where it belongs in the premier league!
we are albion say we are albion

Baggie Crosser

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2546 on: September 15, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »
I remember watching the video of Alan Irvine's first day at the training ground. It concerned me that there was no rush/ enthusiasm to get on to the training pitch. It was all have a giggle, stroll out when the players felt like it. Irvine then appeared and didn't seem to be too concerned at the relaxed atmosphere.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2547 on: September 15, 2014, 10:15:53 AM »

I have been going to watch West Bromwich Albion home and away for 20-odd years and I have never been so bored and fed up.

No point in delaying the inevitable - just sack him!!!

I've always stayed until the end of the game....until Saturday.

I went back to tthe cricket club to watch the cricket match at 4.25pm....

Just pathetic. I'm not interested in Irvine's excuses or people trying to make them for him. He's a joke.

Baggie Crosser

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2548 on: September 15, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
It seems I only managed to post half my message.

Irvine should have stamped on the casual carry on immediately. I suspect nothing of the kind has happened. I appreciate him not wanting to risk injury to new guys, but they are professional sportsmen, who by now should be fit enough to be appearing, and wanting to get on to the pitch on a Saturday.
   I really think that none of the squad appear to be fit enough for what is required of them.
   The younger players such as Roofe and O Neil should also be given a chance to show what they can do. Surely their enthusiasm would help. Or are they also now steeped in the easy life?

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2549 on: September 15, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
I want him gone now.

But, I did say from the beginning I'd give him 6 games. So far we've had poor results, but even worse, terrible performances.

What annoys me is Chris Brunt blamed part of last season on a "dead" dressing room under Mel. Well, Pepe is long gone, so what's the problem now? Tea lady not cutting your sandwiches into triangles?

I'm being serious when I say this, perhaps the club should appoint a psychologist for a while to work with the players.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.