Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754549 times)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2625 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »
Hernandaz had no "pre-season" and was waiting for a work permit, but went straight into the Hull team tonight and has just put them 1-0 up

I'm as disappointed as anyone else that our new signings haven't featured but firstly are you sure he didn't have a pre-season for his previous club? Secondly he has also just returned from international duty where he played a part in both games so not sure its even that comparable to some of ours that haven't featured yet.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2626 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »
Yes but we have still got some of the old clapped out carburettors in the engine, namely our untouchable assistant coaches who have contributed to the car breaking down with the last 2 head coaches!
get a new mechanic ? the one trick pony you've been using don't know nowt but carbs
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2627 on: September 15, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
Yes but we have still got some of the old clapped out carburettors in the engine, namely our untouchable assistant coaches who have contributed to the car breaking down with the last 2 head coaches!

Hmmm...  so you're saying that perhaps the problem lies elsewhere then?  ;)
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2628 on: September 15, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
I'm as disappointed as anyone else that our new signings haven't featured but firstly are you sure he didn't have a pre-season for his previous club? Secondly he has also just returned from international duty where he played a part in both games so not sure its even that comparable to some of ours that haven't featured yet.
He has a point I mean why not start gamboa, samaras and Blanco then after 45-60 mins monitor there fitness levels, if I'm wrong and there not fit then I apologize but to me it seems Irvine is being over cautious on this front especially when the ones they would be replacing have been complete gash.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2629 on: September 15, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
That's the problem-we still use carbs when everyone else has fuel injection
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2630 on: September 15, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
Hmmm...  so you're saying that perhaps the problem lies elsewhere then?  ;)

Yes almost certainly. They undermined Pepe Mel and they should have gone so that he could bring his own coaching staff in. The club is "rotten to the core" with this protection racket that going on where senior players and Downing and Keily are running the club, they failed before and they will take Irvine down as well. Mel wanted to change things and was never given the chance to build his own team. I would have loved to have seen what he could do with the attacking players with have now. But the yes man in charge has to stick with the establishment and it seems like Foster has joined the ranks now!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2631 on: September 15, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
Varela was frozen out at Porto and is way behind fitness wise. I'm sure Lescott will be the first name on the team sheet in Irvine's mind but he's just coming back from an injury and needs to be managed properly. Irvine stated he wanted creative wingers so why would he not play them when fully fit?
the regime don't like it man

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2632 on: September 15, 2014, 09:03:26 PM »
He has a point I mean why not start gamboa, samaras and Blanco then after 45-60 mins monitor there fitness levels, if I'm wrong and there not fit then I apologize but to me it seems Irvine is being over cautious on this front especially when the ones they would be replacing have been complete gash.

Irvine being over cautious. You must be mistaking him for someone else!

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2633 on: September 15, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
I admit on the day he was appointed I couldn't get my head round it and thought it was an awful decision but a few days later I thought why not give him a chance because I thought some of the comments about him from others were over the top. After hearing Peace and Burton explain the decision I come around to the thought that he could do well here and I honestly still believe that he can given time. The large majority don't think so but it's all about opinions.

With the Sheffield Wednesday fans comments well you could compare our comments about Gary Megson to say Bolton or Forest fans. You could look at what the majority of Albion fans think of Mowbray as a manager compared to Celtic and Middlesbrough fans. You could look at how Liverpool or Blackburn fans view Hodgson compared to us. I think Irvine should be judged as West Brom head coach, not what happened elsewhere like I did when he was appointed.

Thng is Megson, Mowbray and Hodgson were all successful getting us promoted and in Roy's case keeping us up. Irvine was good at PNE for awhile but it ended in relegation. He was awful at Wednesday ended in almost a double relegation if it wasn't for Megson. Also don't forget he was Interviewed after Mowbray and lost out to RDM. Why is he suddenly THE man at a level higher than he's ever managed before, when, he's a proven failure not only at Championship but League 1 level.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2634 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »

Don't get me wrong, he is probably just being cautious and it is frustrating as the team that started the first few games is pretty much the same one that has struggled for the last year. We all want the new lads fit and firing as soon as possible but they see the players every day, they have all the medical staff and equipment available to know if they are ready for games or not.

Take fitness out of the equation and there are other issues with new players. Have they had enough time to work on how we want them to play so that they understand fully what their roles are? You mention Blanco and Gamboa what is their English like? Plenty to consider when it comes to choosing a starting XI.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2635 on: September 15, 2014, 09:08:29 PM »
Don't get me wrong, he is probably just being cautious and it is frustrating as the team that started the first few games is pretty much the same one that has struggled for the last year. We all want the new lads fit and firing as soon as possible but they see the players every day, they have all the medical staff and equipment available to know if they are ready for games or not.

Take fitness out of the equation and there are other issues with new players. Have they had enough time to work on how we want them to play so that they understand fully what their roles are? You mention Blanco and Gamboa what is their English like? Plenty to consider when it comes to choosing a starting XI.
I don't know abot the others but Gamboa's English is better than Irvines
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2636 on: September 15, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »

I think that we all know how he wants them to play. Flat 4-4-2 with no width!

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2637 on: September 15, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
Varela was frozen out at Porto and is way behind fitness wise. I'm sure Lescott will be the first name on the team sheet in Irvine's mind but he's just coming back from an injury and needs to be managed properly. Irvine stated he wanted creative wingers so why would he not play them when fully fit?

Strange how Varela was fit enough to play in the World Cup!
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2638 on: September 15, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
The decision has been made to employ him as manager so he has to be given more time than this by the board. For that reason, I don't want him to go at this moment.

Whatever people's opinions on him, he has still not been able to use Joleon Lescott or Silvestre Varela AT ALL, he has only had a very small opportunity (a final 20 minutes) to use Sebastian Blanco and Georgios Samaras and he is also waiting for Jason Davidson and Christian Gamboa to get up to speed. He has had more time with Seb Pocognoli and Brown Ideye but both have also missed time with the team so far. Of our new signings, only really Craig Gardner and Andre Wisdom have been entirely available to use and neither of them are game changing players.

I'm not really defending the start to the season. 1 goal from open play scored by an Albion player in our first 5 games, that coming in the first game of that stretch, and conceding 7 in our first 4 in the league, as well as failing to win (discounting lottery penalties) in our first 5, very winnable games. All of this while playing increasingly flat and unimaginative football (just as warned by Preston and Wednesday fans).

You can't just sack him now though, not until he has had the chance to mould the full squad. Steve Madeley has made some good points in the aftermath of the game. People criticised the team selection on Saturday but it is hard to really pick a different team to the one he picked, other than bringing in a more defensive Yacob to add better balance to the midfield and maybe going 451 instead of 442 (but even then the midfield would have had little balance as the only real way of doing to would have been to drop one of Ideye or Berahino with no attacking wide men).

My money is on Irvine failing - he was the wrong choice and I said it at the time. But until he has had 4 or 5 games with a full squad then we can't pull the trigger. Not just yet. We are just going to have to grin and bear it until then.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:22:33 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2639 on: September 15, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
Don't let facts get in the way of opinions.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2640 on: September 15, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
Irvine will be gone on Sunday, I'm sure of it with the fixtures coming up!
Baggie in Southampton

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2641 on: September 15, 2014, 09:26:57 PM »
Thng is Megson, Mowbray and Hodgson were all successful getting us promoted and in Roy's case keeping us up. Irvine was good at PNE for awhile but it ended in relegation. He was awful at Wednesday ended in almost a double relegation if it wasn't for Megson. Also don't forget he was Interviewed after Mowbray and lost out to RDM. Why is he suddenly THE man at a level higher than he's ever managed before, when, he's a proven failure not only at Championship but League 1 level.
Did he lose out to RDM? :-X

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2642 on: September 15, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »
I think that we all know how he wants them to play. Flat 4-4-2 with no width!
You think you know how he wants them to play ;)

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2643 on: September 15, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
Strange how Varela was fit enough to play in the World Cup!

He came off the bench once or twice. He missed Porto's pre season tour apparently which didn't help.
the regime don't like it man

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2644 on: September 15, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »
Did he lose out to RDM? :-X

Yep he was the other Candidate

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2645 on: September 15, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
Yep he was the other Candidate
Who was offered the job first, (allegedly) and clearly made enough of an impression to be targeted again. No doubt more ammunition to be used against him.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:38:04 PM by VVVAlbion »

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2646 on: September 15, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »
He came off the bench once or twice. He missed Porto's pre season tour apparently which didn't help.

The fact he was in the squad suggests he was fit enough.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2647 on: September 15, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »
He came off the bench once or twice. He missed Porto's pre season tour apparently which didn't

I think the point people are making is that maybe we are being over cautious?!

The only way to know is to play them in a match. Nobody played tonight for the under 21s so surely we must assume that they are all fit enough? Signed Varela nearly 3 weeks ago
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:51:03 PM by OldburyWBA »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2648 on: September 15, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »
Interesting contrast that Steve Bruce mentioned that Ben Arfa was a few pounds overweight when he arrived, yet he played in Tuesday's 'friendly' game against us and came on for the last 15 against West Ham tonight.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2649 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
I'm going to say that apart from Pog I havent seen a new signing worth dick.
I'll reserve my judgement on those that havent played but I fear we have signed a bunch of has beens and some never going to be.
On paper the team looks stronger but in reality we are garbage. Too many players living on past seasons form. Way too much dead wood.