Lukaku
0 (0%)
Fortune
0 (0%)
Brunt
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: August 25, 2012, 04:39:21 PM

Author Topic: 18 Aug 2012 Albion 3 Liverpool 0  (Read 137730 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Diving Long
« Reply #850 on: August 20, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
2nd half early on running down towards the Woodman Corner, threw himself to the deck under no challenge, turned to the ref... Throw in Liverpool.

Oh that one right in front of the lino where he got a good shove from I think it was Skrtel ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #851 on: August 20, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
That'll be the one...  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #852 on: August 20, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
Right in line with it and it was a clear free-kick

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #853 on: August 20, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
As borne out by the resulting throw-in...  ::)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #854 on: August 20, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
Oh so the shove never happened and Long threw himself down, I imagined it despite being in line with it, sorry forgot you must always be right.  :o

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #855 on: August 20, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
 :-X

I must have forgotten no Albion players' obvious faults may be pointed out. From what I saw he wasn't touched you saw it differently.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #856 on: August 20, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »

I must have forgotten no Albion players' obvious faults may be pointed out. From what I saw he wasn't touched you saw it differently.

To be honest, I think you would not admit to any qualities of Shane Long regardless.

Seems even Liverpool accept the foul on Long.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/20/100252-31662098/

Specsavers have some good deals on! ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:53:46 PM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

Re: full match agaist liverpool on LFCTV tonight at 7pm
« Reply #857 on: August 20, 2012, 06:02:41 PM »
for thoses who have liverpool fc TV in there sky or virgin package, the whole match is on at 7PM tonight

watch it with the sound down though  :D
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #858 on: August 20, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
To be honest, I think you would not admit to any qualities of Shane Long regardless.

Seems even Liverpool accept the foul on Long.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/20/100252-31662098/

Specsavers have some good deals on! ;D

Read the thread properly I AM NOT DISPUTING EITHER PENALTY...

I commented on Long's overall performance in another thread:

Thought Long was awful first half, very static and ultimately quiet. 2nd half he was a lot better, the winning of the second penalty especially was excellent play, and his never say die attitude is admirable. His penalty was abysmal though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:07:44 PM by TheJacko2000 »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #859 on: August 20, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
I dont think there is any serious criticism of Shane here. Yes, they were both penalties. Yes, he works his socks off and causes big problems for defenders. Yes, he did well to win both penalties. Yes, he sometimes goes down too easily. Yes, he gives everything for the cause. I for one am very happy with him.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #860 on: August 20, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »
I posted this straight after the game Jacko.

Quote from: TheJacko2000 on August 10, 2012, 03:49:54 PM

They looked decent enough against pretty poor opposition. We should be looking to get in and around the centre halves and Lucas and Shelvey (Allen). They looked uncomfortable at times in possession, and were very wary of just getting rid as if they'd get a rollocking. Unfortunately at the other end Gerrard and Suarez looked very sharp considering it is pre-season.

We should definitely go for the win, but wouldn't be disappointed with a point.

Don't always agree with you Jacko, but you called that spot on..... apart from the fact that your mate Shane Long terrorised the centre backs, but overall, a good perceptive post, just show a bit more appreciation
Baggie in Southampton

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #861 on: August 20, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
Me and Jacko often have our differences on this site, but on this issue I agree with everything he has said. We are not debating the penalties, although he did go down very easily, we are talking about a trait of his play which has been evident from when he first broke through at Reading.

Shane Long goes to ground far too easily.

I find it remarkable that many simply do not see that. Yes he is very clever with his body positioning to entice fouls and is often too quick for players which results in a foul, but he is also liable to initiate contact or even go down when there hasn't been any. This is what the opening post was highlighting, and specifically an incident in the first half where Shane went down under no contact and claimed a foul. Watch the video if you still refuse to believe me.

As I posted earlier, if it was an opposition player producing some of these antics we would be calling him all kind of names. I've also seen some say "well players have done it to us!", well yeah they have, that still doesn't make it okay though, and it certainly doesn't mean I'll condone Shane's theatrics just because he has an Albion top on.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #862 on: August 20, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
He does go down easy. I don't care as long as he wins decisions. If he is going down easy and we're getting nothing then I'll have a problem.

This is the modern game it has to be done. It doesn't make him a bad person - just someone who's good at what he does.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #863 on: August 20, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

If you don’t think that was a foul than quite frankly Shane Long has got no chance. Absolutely frightening. I suggest you watch the full highlights back to get a better view of Skrtel man handling him.

Don't always agree with you Jacko, but you called that spot on..... apart from the fact that your mate Shane Long terrorised the centre backs, but overall, a good perceptive post, just show a bit more appreciation

If it’s not Morrison, Odemwingie or Brunt than Jacko isn’t interested mate.  ;)
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #864 on: August 20, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
Me and Jacko often have our differences on this site, but on this issue I agree with everything he has said. We are not debating the penalties, although he did go down very easily, we are talking about a trait of his play which has been evident from when he first broke through at Reading.

I find it remarkable that many simply do not see that. Yes he is very clever with his body positioning to entice fouls and is often too quick for players which results in a foul, but he is also liable to initiate contact or even go down when there hasn't been any. This is what the opening post was highlighting, and specifically an incident in the first half where Shane went down under no contact and claimed a foul. Watch the video if you still refuse to believe me.

As I posted earlier, if it was an opposition player producing some of these antics we would be calling him all kind of names. I've also seen some say "well players have done it to us!", well yeah they have, that still doesn't make it okay though, and it certainly doesn't mean I'll condone Shane's theatrics just because he has an Albion top on.

I agree he goes down easily, but this thread is called diving Long and to me there is a clear difference.

I've seen Long go down when there has been small amount of contact and sometimes he doesn't get the free kick when he should have and other times he does when it's probably not enough contact to constitute a foul. However, I've never seen him go down over a leg that wasn't there ala Suarez or Ronaldo. Maybe you have, just saying from my point of view I haven't.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #865 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »
I agree he goes down easily, but this thread is called diving Long and to me there is a clear difference.

I've seen Long go down when there has been small amount of contact and sometimes he doesn't get the free kick when he should have and other times he does when it's probably not enough contact to constitute a foul. However, I've never seen him go down over a leg that wasn't there ala Suarez or Ronaldo. Maybe you have, just saying from my point of view I haven't.

Attempts to stay upright far more than Long. Only Ashley Young for me is worse than Long for this in the Premier League now Drogba has moved on to pastures new.

Nocky, I'm also a big fan of Foster, Mulumbu, Olsson, McAuley and Ridgewell, like the look of Yacob and Lukaku too though it is early days.  ;)

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #866 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »
Attempts to stay upright far more than Long. Only Ashley Young for me is worse than Long for this in the Premier League now Drogba has moved on to pastures new.

Nocky, I'm also a big fan of Foster, Mulumbu, Olsson, McAuley and Ridgewell, like the look of Yacob and Lukaku too though it is early days.  ;)

Well I'll have to disagree on that one Jacko, I've seen him go down without contact before quite a lot but fair enough that's your view.

However, I am happy to agree that Ashley Young is a diving Villa ****!  :D

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #867 on: August 20, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

I think people accept that he goes down easily at times (although I disagree that he did so on Saturday) but then so do 75% of the forward players in this league when they get in and around the box. Sure we may not like it but people need to get their head out of the sands and accept that this is the reality of football these days. I don’t see why West Bromwich Albion should suffer when the majority of teams in this league have players that will prosper from going down upon contact in the penalty area.

Anyways, is it cheating to go down under contact when you could have stayed on your feet? No. Is it diving? No. Sure it might be morally questionable but then when has the PL been a shining light for morals and values? It’s a fiercely competitive, dog eat dog league and personally I have no problem with our players being a bit ‘street-smart’ if it earns us another season in this division.

I don’t care what happened in Shane's Reading days. I will only judge him on his time wearing a blue and white striped shirt and in that time I don’t believe I have seen any real instances of out and out diving.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #868 on: August 20, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
think this is being way over analysed. fact is the game of full of it. playacting, diving etc and it aint going to go away. long is one of many, and any team that says 'oh, hes a diver' is now really a hypocrite as every team does it. its the game, you get contact in the area you go over in league football. its not right, honest, but it makes every decision more distinguishable as a ref isnt likely to give a set piece if you stumble but stay on your feet.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #869 on: August 20, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
think this is being way over analysed. fact is the game of full of it. playacting, diving etc and it aint going to go away. long is one of many, and any team that says 'oh, hes a diver' is now really a hypocrite as every team does it. its the game, you get contact in the area you go over in league football. its not right, honest, but it makes every decision more distinguishable as a ref isnt likely to give a set piece if you stumble but stay on your feet.
That isn't diving though. That's going down easy. a dive is when a player goes down on their own to fabricate a foul from nothing. I don't think Long has done that as there was contact (minimal but contact all the same). Ashley Young (for example) has, He's a diver.

EDIT: just seen Liverpool WON'T appeal.... even they thought it was a penalty and sending off
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:09:49 PM by Hunnington Baggie »

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

Re: Albion v Liverpool 18-08-12 - Full match + Highlights
« Reply #870 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
 :o why? what was wrong with that post
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #871 on: August 20, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
I think people accept that he goes down easily at times (although I disagree that he did so on Saturday) but then so do 75% of the forward players in this league when they get in and around the box. Sure we may not like it but people need to get their head out of the sands and accept that this is the reality of football these days. I don’t see why West Bromwich Albion should suffer when the majority of teams in this league have players that will prosper from going down upon contact in the penalty area.

Anyways, is it cheating to go down under contact when you could have stayed on your feet? No. Is it diving? No. Sure it might be morally questionable but then when has the PL been a shining light for morals and values? It’s a fiercely competitive, dog eat dog league and personally I have no problem with our players being a bit ‘street-smart’ if it earns us another season in this division.

I don’t care what happened in Shane's Reading days. I will only judge him on his time wearing a blue and white striped shirt and in that time I don’t believe I have seen any real instances of out and out diving.

I fully understand that it's a part of football; a part of football that I personally think stinks, but hey ho. What I take exception to in this thread is people flat out refusing to see that it is a part of Shane's game.

Have you watched the incident that richjonawba highlighted in the opening post?
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #872 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
That isn't diving though. That's going down easy. a dive is when a player goes down on their own to fabricate a foul from nothing. I don't think Long has done that as there was contact (minimal but contact all the same). Ashley Young (for example) has, He's a diver.

EDIT: just seen Liverpool WON'T appeal.... even they thought it was a penalty and sending off
its interpretation really, theres no right or wrong. some will say its jumping when there has been no contact, some will say its overreacting to a tap on the leg. i think diving is overreacting to a challenge in any shape or form.

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Man of The Match Vote v Liverpool 18th August 2012
« Reply #873 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
Gera for setting us of with that goal after which we never looked back, for his comeback after  being out for so long, and for coming back to the Hawthorns!!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #874 on: August 20, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
WHY ARE WE EVEN HAVING THIS DISCUSSION ??? ???

Do you think Suarez would have stayed on his feet in the same position that Shane found himself in during the match ? ....of course he wouldnt, he'd have gone down in the same ( or maybe a more theatrical ) way that Shane did. Even Hansen said they were 2 cast iron penalties FFS !

And whats more, had the roles been reversed, do you think the scousers would be discussing if Suarez had died........of course not.

In fairness, Suarez is hardly the role model we should be following.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:39:45 PM by Quakes Fan »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure