Poll

Do you the fans think Jeremy Peace is loooking to sell the Club ??

Yes
36 (41.9%)
No
50 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Is Jeremy Peace looking to sell the club  (Read 12918 times)

Jimbo Baggy

• Youth Baggie

Is Jeremy Peace looking to sell the club
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
I ask the question,we signed Shane Long for 4.5 rising to 6.5 got Zoltan Gera on free along with Gareth Mccauley and Billy Jones.Plus took Ben Foster on loan from Blues.The total outlay 4.5,I have read we have made more from sales.

I ask the question is Jeremy Peace looking to sell up,we let 3 defenders leave in the last window just gone,two permanent and one on loan.None coming in!!! suicidal if you ask me.This great club is never going to go places with him in charge,the blokes only worth 40 million,chairman in the championship got more money than he has.Ok he runs it well but we will never progress further than where we are at, with him in charge.I hope he does sell it,hopefully to someone with more money and who has Albions best interests at heart.

SedgleyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

Re: Is Jeremy Peace looking to sell the club
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »
Whilst the end of the window was disappointing, a centre half was definitely required, the club is in safe hands while he is in charge.  I would rather be in our position than the likes of Blackburn, QPR and Leicester who have investments from Asia and  are not sure of the long term intention of their new owners.  Sometimes it's better the devil you know.  Roy identified three players he wanted and we got them all.  What frustrates me is that we always seem to under whelm our fans.  If we'd have bought in one more centre half I think all our fans would have been happy with the window, instead we are now looking over our shoulders.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:14:31 AM »
I ask the question,we signed Shane Long for 4.5 rising to 6.5 got Zoltan Gera on free along with Gareth Mccauley and Billy Jones.Plus took Ben Foster on loan from Blues.The total outlay 4.5,I have read we have made more from sales.

I ask the question is Jeremy Peace looking to sell up,we let 3 defenders leave in the last window just gone,two permanent and one on loan.None coming in!!! suicidal if you ask me.This great club is never going to go places with him in charge,the blokes only worth 40 million,chairman in the championship got more money than he has.Ok he runs it well but we will never progress further than where we are at, with him in charge.I hope he does sell it,hopefully to someone with more money and who has Albions best interests at heart.

Why would he act suicidal with the club if he's looking to sell it? Anyone with any sense would know if he's looking to sell surely he would want us in the best shape?

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:57:47 AM »
There isn't a single club in the prem apart from Everton (who are in massive financial trouble) and two of the new teams who aren't bankrolled by a sugardaddy!

All this rubbish about Peace limiting our potential misses the point EVERY SINGLE CLUB THAT OVER REACHES FAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, but people don't seem to get it. You're either asking Peace to put his own money in, which no one has any right to do, plus he's not wealthy enough for it to make a difference, or you're asking him to take out a huge loan. Our finances are tight as we're run as a business. The other teams basically financially cheat.

All those guys who claim another £5mill wouldn't hurt, well one "decent"player would probably make not that much difference, but that would still represent about 15% of our turnover....

We've not made a profit over this transfer window. Our wage bill has grown hugely. I'm honestly amazed that this all seems to pass many people by. I know a few on here get it, but alot just want to see "Albion in £8million defender purchase" regardless of what it means to the club should anything go wrong. Ask Leeds and co what happens
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Turkish baggie

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 03:35:22 AM »
There isn't a single club in the prem apart from Everton (who are in massive financial trouble) and two of the new teams who aren't bankrolled by a sugardaddy!

All this rubbish about Peace limiting our potential misses the point EVERY SINGLE CLUB THAT OVER REACHES FAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, but people don't seem to get it. You're either asking Peace to put his own money in, which no one has any right to do, plus he's not wealthy enough for it to make a difference, or you're asking him to take out a huge loan. Our finances are tight as we're run as a business. The other teams basically financially cheat.

All those guys who claim another £5mill wouldn't hurt, well one "decent"player would probably make not that much difference, but that would still represent about 15% of our turnover....

We've not made a profit over this transfer window. Our wage bill has grown hugely. I'm honestly amazed that this all seems to pass many people by. I know a few on here get it, but alot just want to see "Albion in £8million defender purchase" regardless of what it means to the club should anything go wrong. Ask Leeds and co what happens

Spot on! I passed a comment earlier on this matter & was told I had,nt got a clue! Well my background, I had a business for 20 yrs until my retirement, I had a factory in Egypt,a sales office in Shanghai & Ho Chi Minh City. We sold into every country you can mention so I think I do know a little of what it takes to run a business, so from a far it looks to me as Pearce got the club stable off & on the pitch (good business practice) & now each year they are doing a little bit more to improve! Spending on anything should be weighed up to see a/ will it make us better b/is a longterm or short term investment c/ what effect will it have on the way the business is viewed?
Spending millions, with all the add on,s just for the sake of buying is WRONG! If the right player at the right finacial package is not available at that time so be it! The clubs excellent youth policy will help to plug gaps, youngsters coming through the system with the occassional young player bought is the correct way! This gives Albion a solid backbone to build on with the kids growing up 'the Albion way'.

To me Albion still need to be reasonably sure that keeping in the premier is realistic goal! If it is then our chairman, the club will drip money to allow this consolidation! McCawber said & so true 'annual income £1, annual expediture 19 shillings & 11 pence, result happiness! Annual income £1, annual expenditure 21 shillings, result sadness!' You only have to see the state of finances in the UK to see the effect of overspending? Surely we all want the Albion to be run better than the politicians who ran the country?

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:48 AM »
He's been looking to sell the club for a few years now, but he will always run it as a business and in that respect you can't knock him.

Yes, we want more and yes it's frustrating but it's also safe to say that while he's around the club will never suffer the turmoil of Portsmouth, West ham, Blackburn, Newcastke, Leeds etc.

Be careful what you wish for, I bet Blues fans wish the name Carson Yeung had never been mentioned.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »
I think the fact that the club has worked to establish better training facilities and a good academy structure etc. suggests that JP and the board do have the best interests of the club at heart. Long may it continue.....
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:17:17 AM »
I think the fact that the club has worked to establish better training facilities and a good academy structure etc. suggests that JP and the board do have the best interests of the club at heart. Long may it continue.....
Totally agree, we have some of the best facilities in the country. My only criticism I'd that academy players struggle to break through at the club.

Probably as a result of the pressure to survive in the prem and the lack of confidence in untested players at this level.

If we had a bit of faith in the likes of Dawson for example the would be no need to worry about not buying a centre half, which seems to be an obsession with posters here...lol

B714LF

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »
There is an answer missing from this poll. I have no idea!!

twistedh

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
People need to open their eyes a little wider and realise that the football world is NOT like football manager aside from a select few. Just because all the 'Big Boys' are spending money like nobodies business doesn't mean we have the resources to as well.

I do wish we were up there with the big four but I am realistic and as disappointed as I am when we have been relegated over the years, I don't care that much because I am just happy to support my club just as I have since I was a wee boy. All I care about is being able to see the baggies playing their football and enjoying the ups and downs.

I don't want to become another Leeds or Portsmouth. Jeremy Peace is by far one of the best chairmen business wise in the football league who does what he can with that is available. Other clubs can get into debt very easily because they have a far larger fan base and commercial value compared to our little club. The man utd's of the world can be in debt for 800 million+ without all that much worry but for us to even get over 10 million would be disastrous.

Wake up folk.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
Those who are saying we don't want to do a Leeds can you answer me this question?

If we're so well run why would spending £6 million more this summer have put us under?  £6million, that would represent a net spend of about £2million in transfer fees this summer.  £2 million!  You think we're so badly run we can't afford to spend £2million? 

We don't need a sugar daddy to compete, the club is run well enough for that but this summer's spend has been shocking considering we are *this close* to becoming a stable premiership club. 

We've made a profit out of transfers this summer while watching our defence at best stagnate, more likely get weaker.

Remember we also got a bumper pay day for our finishing position.  No way would Peace factor in us finishing 11th and the extra cash that was worth.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
The £6 million you're askign for has already gone on the wages of the 4 or 5 players on £25k+ with i believe Mulumbu, Sharner and Pete on more like £35k+

Yes those are "premiership wages", but as swissramble showed us (look it up if you've not seen it) our revenue cannot compete with the other teams in a like for like situation because almost all of them have a chairman who will give them £5million if needed.

Stoke are doign very well because their owner is giving them money, not because they have more ambition or are better run!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
Those who are saying we don't want to do a Leeds can you answer me this question?

If we're so well run why would spending £6 million more this summer have put us under?  £6million, that would represent a net spend of about £2million in transfer fees this summer.  £2 million!  You think we're so badly run we can't afford to spend £2million? 

We don't need a sugar daddy to compete, the club is run well enough for that but this summer's spend has been shocking considering we are *this close* to becoming a stable premiership club. 

We've made a profit out of transfers this summer while watching our defence at best stagnate, more likely get weaker.

Remember we also got a bumper pay day for our finishing position.  No way would Peace factor in us finishing 11th and the extra cash that was worth.

The difference between finishing 11th and 17th (according to the daily mail :-X) was 4.5M. I imagine that is what has helped us to increase the players contracts that we have and will have also been spent on increased bonus payments.

http://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/2011/05/the-money-premier-league-what-your-club-made.html

Does anyone else remember the financial mess that Liverpool got themselves into with their "sugar daddies" last season before they were bailed out. A top 4 Champions league side.   
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 02:06:15 PM »

So how do you explain our willingness to pay another midfielder in Owen Hargreaves or last ditch token efforts to bring one of the defenders we are desperately lacking?

Nobody really criticised JP too much over the amounts spent, the thing he is criticised for is where he is spending it presently.

Nobody is expecting crazy money to be spent on fees and wages but you are completely out of touch with reality if you think that we are not in a financial position to spend more than what we have without financial collapse.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
So how do you explain our willingness to pay another midfielder in Owen Hargreaves or last ditch token efforts to bring one of the defenders we are desperately lacking?

Nobody really criticised JP too much over the amounts spent, the thing he is criticised for is where he is spending it presently.

Nobody is expecting crazy money to be spent on fees and wages but you are completely out of touch with reality if you think that we are not in a financial position to spend more than what we have without financial collapse.

Surely it is down to the manager to insist on what positions he desperately wants strengthening. He identified three players he wanted and the club delivered, amazingly for an initial transfer fee of £4.5m. It is pretty clear that Hodgson wasn't desperate for Hargreaves but its also clear he wasn't desperate for other defenders either.

Truth is no one really knows how much money we do have available for fees or wages at the moment. Its all guess work.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »

OH was clearly a push by JP to get a once £17million player on a free, prove him to be match fit and sell him on. He'd have cost nothing and his wages would have been relatively low as OH apparently was desperate to show he still had it. So the OH argument holds no water what so ever.

I'm not sure how in "touch with reality" you need to be to understand our accounts, but i do recommend the swiss ramble review if you care to look them over. Plus we've probably got an additional £4-5million minimum on the wage bill now. If it wasn't for JP and Roy we'd be Championship at best i honestly believe. So they get the benefit of any doubt i say. I understand the want for the glory signings, or even "just" two more decent prem level defenders. Hutton and Dann would have cost us maybe £9mill plus £4mill on the wage bill per year. So for the want of £13mill or so we'd be far healthier... but £13mill is 25% of our turnover.... the money isn't there!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »
Look at Stoke, they didn't spend much in their first 2 years, before lumping up 9 million in their 3rd season for Kenwyne. Then look at Blues, paying high prices and wages for players in their 2nd season and look where it got them.

As far as I'm concerned, we bought 2 defenders and got Dawson back, and they've not played for whatever reason (for 3 games, two of which against the top 2 teams in the country and would, if a bad performance had come in those games, potentially shattered a younger player's confidence before they get a chance to settle - see Leon Barnett as a previous example).

Peace has backed this club well and, when a large proportion of your money is invested in a club (he's not worth much to start with) you try not to make stupid, rushed, expensive decisions quickly. Look at other clubs, they're throwing money around like it's going out of fashion, because their owners have money elsewhere. There is an enormous amount spent on wages which we previously didn't have, so if anyone can find out how much we're paying per year just on keeping players at the club I'd love to know. That's why Blues are gutting their team, lots of wages they need to get rid of.

jonestown

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
peace is investing in club infrastructure and youth/ training facilities which seems to be the work of someone who has an intrest. just because we didnt sign a player on the last day of the transfer window doesnt mean he is conserving money and trying to sell. hodgson asked for three players, peace got those, even if one cost 5 mill on another 1 million for just a loan deal.

he is willing to put money into what his manager wants and into parts of the club that need improving, which is what a chairman should do

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »
i used to slate JP for not spending big, it really did my head in
but look at us now, strongest squad and most proven manager we've had in 25+ years
with JP running the show i can put my hand on heart and say we will never end up like portsmouth or leeds

iv voted yes because after all JP is a business man and that lot just want to make money!
hope im wrong though and he stays with us for the next 30 years
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Peace has backed this club well and, when a large proportion of your money is invested in a club (he's not worth much to start with) you try not to make stupid, rushed, expensive decisions quickly. Look at other clubs, they're throwing money around like it's going out of fashion, because their owners have money elsewhere. There is an enormous amount spent on wages which we previously didn't have, so if anyone can find out how much we're paying per year just on keeping players at the club I'd love to know. That's why Blues are gutting their team, lots of wages they need to get rid of.

You realise Peace hasn't put a single penny of his own money into this club? 

I hate this "you need a rich owner to throw money around" argument.  We made a net profit in transfers this summer.  Is the club really so badly run that we couldn't afford to spend a single penny? 

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
My concern reading through these threads is the view that we have made a net profit, the free transfers we have brought would have come at a greater signing on cost I would imagine and Ben Fosters loan would have involved some sort of retainer fee.

Peace has stated time and time again hes after investment from outside the club, however I would imagine he would still look at what that potential new investors plans are regarding the long term security of the club.

I would rather we stay under Peace than have a owner who treats it as his play thing as we as fans enjoy a short sharp jab of success followed by potential financial suicide

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »
My concern reading through these threads is the view that we have made a net profit, the free transfers we have brought would have come at a greater signing on cost I would imagine and Ben Fosters loan would have involved some sort of retainer fee.

Peace has stated time and time again hes after investment from outside the club, however I would imagine he would still look at what that potential new investors plans are regarding the long term security of the club.

I would rather we stay under Peace than have a owner who treats it as his play thing as we as fans enjoy a short sharp jab of success followed by potential financial suicide

But we've spent less than other transfer windows and that didn't put us under.

I agree there's a cost in Gera and co but there's no way it should be more than actually signing the players.  Let's say we've paid £5 million out on all those including fees.  We'll have still spent a grand total of zero this summer.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
Its not all about transfer fees, in todays day and age theres an obsession with how much a player costs and the status that brings rather than the actual quality purchased.

I feel we have improved the quality of the squad in every position barring our centreback position and left back slots.

This for me is where the club should be criticised, but that quality at the back didnt neccessary have to come from a player we actually paid a large fee for.

At the moment Peace and those inside the club will have access to our financial position and I am confident the decisions made reflect on maintaining our financial security aswell as attempting to secure our premier league status next season.

The other arguement regarding this transfer window is the letting go of defenders without getting the quality to replace them, looking at the players we offloaded or attempted to offload in Bednar, Ibanez and Cech, something stands out that all have caused problems or been reported to have caused problems perhaps the moving on of Cech and Ibanez was done to improve the harmony in the club and the same applies to Bednar who seems quite happy to waste his career

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »
All these mentioning the position where we finished last season. If I remember correctly wasn't it £5000 per point for each player? I presume paying the squad that much money for each point we gained would of been a huge chunk, or if not the whole of that money we earned for finishing 11th.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »
Its not all about transfer fees, in todays day and age theres an obsession with how much a player costs and the status that brings rather than the actual quality purchased.

I feel we have improved the quality of the squad in every position barring our centreback position and left back slots.

This for me is where the club should be criticised, but that quality at the back didnt neccessary have to come from a player we actually paid a large fee for.

At the moment Peace and those inside the club will have access to our financial position and I am confident the decisions made reflect on maintaining our financial security aswell as attempting to secure our premier league status next season.

The other arguement regarding this transfer window is the letting go of defenders without getting the quality to replace them, looking at the players we offloaded or attempted to offload in Bednar, Ibanez and Cech, something stands out that all have caused problems or been reported to have caused problems perhaps the moving on of Cech and Ibanez was done to improve the harmony in the club and the same applies to Bednar who seems quite happy to waste his career

I agree with the bit in bold. However, that makes me question why if we were being out-priced for players-say Blues wanting 5 Million for Ridgewell or near on 8 Million for Dann-why we decided to use the domestic market which is known for it's over-inflated fees,when I'm pretty sure with our scouting network we could have picked up a player at least as good as Shorey for half the cost of someone like Ridgwell.

To me that is our biggest error in the transfer market this year by moving away from what is one of the main strengths of the club to a market which requires more money to be spent and potentially having to pay stupid money because someone else wants the player.I presume this was Hodgson's influence as he had gone out and said it would be a struggle for us to continue pulling rabbits out of the hat.