Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 300708 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #2025 on: May 15, 2021, 09:26:12 AM »
Unless he’s got a growth spurt left, which at 17 isn’t impossible but is becoming less likely, Barry isn’t big enough to be a modern centre forward. He’s a going to need to sit to the left or the right. He looks some player though, his goal was a moment of real quality. 

I’m sick of hearing about him already and it’s only going to get worse.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2026 on: May 15, 2021, 12:48:09 PM »
Barry is rather unfortunately going to have a very good career I believe. Genuine pity it won't be with us. His movement, first touch and finishing are superb. The likes of Fowler, Owen, Aguero and Messi weren't/aren't renowned for their size and I believe rule changes will make it even less of an issue moving forward.

Size and physicality are useful attributes which mean little the higher you go without the technical ability to make the most of it. I'm not suggesting Barry's on a par with those names by  the way so much as using them as examples.

Watched the game from the 17/18th minute when it was 1-1 and from that point to the Barry goal I thought both sides acquitted themselves well. Their second goal allowed them to play keep ball which they did very well, moving our lads around so they were chasing shadows. And then the gaps which had started to appear really opened up and I felt our lads were fortunate the winning score wasn't higher.

Villa are physically stronger and they were clearly more organised. They also did their homework on Richards. It's not surprising though really given the amount of time they've spent scouting both himself and Malcolm. They nullified both but Richards in particular is a better player than he was able to show last night. Let's not forget though that a number of Villa coaches will know their games inside out already.

Ingram is a decent young, modern attacking fullback but his defensive lapses are a problem he'll need to learn from and quickly. Again, I think it's safe to say he was an area of Villa focus but he will have better games and shouldn't beat himself up too much.

We've got some good young talent that didn't really shine on the night. They need to switch on a bit more though as time flies. It's obvious they won't all make it but Fellows, Richards and Iregaboum (or however it goes) were my picks on the night.

I've seen much better from Malcolm and Teixeira and was a little disappointed with both. Ashworth has decent technical ability as does De Sousa. It's not all doom and gloom but the academy in my opinion is still going through a phase of recovery following a number of well publicised changes in playing and coaching staff.

For what it's worth I think anyone who left because they felt a bit sniffy over the changes in facility logistics are probably best gone. Change in the workplace is a thing...... restructures happen the world over. Crack on.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2027 on: May 15, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »
A fair assessment SmethDan. On the physicality front where Villa were significantly stronger, it raises the question with me that if our lads are getting to 18/19 and nowhere near it physically, is this why we see so many go into a sort of no-mans land for a couple of years which many fail to reappear from and others are hampered by injuries like Morton, Soule, Tulloch ?
This is an observation not a criticism of him but they showed a close up of our sub Reece Hall putting his shirt on. He's so skinny, looks like a lanky 15 year old but he'll be 18 in September.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2028 on: May 15, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »
A fair assessment SmethDan. On the physicality front where Villa were significantly stronger, it raises the question with me that if our lads are getting to 18/19 and nowhere near it physically, is this why we see so many go into a sort of no-mans land for a couple of years which many fail to reappear from and others are hampered by injuries like Morton, Soule, Tulloch ?
This is an observation not a criticism of him but they showed a close up of our sub Reece Hall putting his shirt on. He's so skinny, looks like a lanky 15 year old but he'll be 18 in September.

Fitness foundations at the academy are something I touched on over on the 'Out on Loan' thread back on January 22nd.......

'There have been question marks raised over the fitness of the first team squad. Our loan players seem to have been hit by a fairly high rate of muscular injuries. With that in mind I'd be genuinely interested to find out what training regime and fitness protocols are in place at the academy in terms of base fitness and weight training regimens etc. Foundations are important'.

....... I'm not suggesting we need to bulk academy players to look like mini Hulks as that would obviously be detrimental, but a few could definitely do with becoming more robust by the time they're looking at moving on from academy level.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2029 on: May 15, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »
Fitness foundations at the academy are something I touched on over on the 'Out on Loan' thread back on January 22nd.......

'There have been question marks raised over the fitness of the first team squad. Our loan players seem to have been hit by a fairly high rate of muscular injuries. With that in mind I'd be genuinely interested to find out what training regime and fitness protocols are in place at the academy in terms of base fitness and weight training regimens etc. Foundations are important'.

....... I'm not suggesting we need to bulk academy players to look like mini Hulks as that would obviously be detrimental, but a few could definitely do with becoming more robust by the time they're looking at moving on from academy level.
Yeah I think there are question marks around fitness throughout the club. I'm convinced our levels have been way off a lot of other premier league teams this year. Leeds are the best comparison as they had the same sort of promotion + pre season time as we had. Learning from setbacks is quite important and I hope that process will take place.

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2030 on: May 16, 2021, 01:51:33 PM »
Watched nearly all of the game and despite the scoreline quite enjoyed it. Barry is indeed a  talent if his head doesn't outgrow the rest of him.

It just seemed to me that a lot of the villa lads seemed two years further forward physically, developmentally and organisationally. It certainly helped them having the outstanding player on the pitch in Barry and of course the in depth knowledge of our better players, but whilst we looked like a team of 16 to 18 year olds, they looked like 18 to 20 year olds.

They deserved the victory. Our passing was poor and our movement a bit hesitant, but there was still some positives. Fellows looked as if he might become a handful, and Ashworth and DaSousa seemed as if they know what to do with a football. Some of the others I have seen play a lot better against opposition as good as anything the vile put on the pitch except for Barry of course. Ingram had one of those games which nothing went right for him, It happens, but he kept trying. Just needs to forget it, get it out of his system and get back to being a decent young wingback.

Our Academy is in a period of change and I expect/hope that improvements will be made, but praise is deserved for some good performances and getting this far in a pretty tough competition.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2031 on: May 27, 2021, 08:44:50 PM »
On the flip side to those released today I noticed that we've picked up a new guy back in March, someone called Quevin de Castro (think it's said like Kevin?), quick google shows he had a runout with Chelsea earlier in the season against Brentford B and he has played for Bury and a couple of non League teams but not much else.

Anyone heard of him before?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2032 on: May 27, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
On the flip side to those released today I noticed that we've picked up a new guy back in March, someone called Quevin de Castro (think it's said like Kevin?), quick google shows he had a runout with Chelsea earlier in the season against Brentford B and he has played for Bury and a couple of non League teams but not much else.

Anyone heard of him before?

Had trials at Arsenal and Chelsea but wasn’t taken on. Ipswich were interested but didn’t take it forwards according to reports.

Sounds a bit like a Diaby situation, low risk chance to take a longer look. He’s nearly 20 though so probably needs to start making some waves next season, even if on loan.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2033 on: June 11, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »
Cheltenham Town local press reporting that Griffiths looking highly unlikely to return for their League 1 campaign next season.

Means he is either staying as a potential number 1, or we are going to send him to a top league 1 club (Appleton's Lincoln?).
Boing Boing

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2034 on: June 11, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »
Cheltenham Town local press reporting that Griffiths looking highly unlikely to return for their League 1 campaign next season.

Means he is either staying as a potential number 1, or we are going to send him to a top league 1 club (Appleton's Lincoln?).

Saw a Lincoln journo the other week mention they had enquired about Griffiths on loan if we had plans for keeping Palmer around the squad next season. Would make sense from their end as they need a keeper, will be challenging for promotion again and have good relationship after the Morton and Palmer loans.

From the bits I’ve seen and heard, Griffiths is rated higher than Palmer, just think this season may come a year or two to early for him?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2035 on: June 11, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »
Griffiths has been linked with Sheffield Wednesday who released Kieran Westwood recently and with Big Dave being there he could be tempted I guess.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2036 on: June 11, 2021, 12:54:14 PM »
Griffiths has been linked with Sheffield Wednesday who released Kieran Westwood recently and with Big Dave being there he could be tempted I guess.

Would be happy with that. Moore a perfect father figure for young players like Griffiths. Happy to send a few his way really.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2037 on: June 11, 2021, 02:20:59 PM »
Wonder if he'd want young Griffiths to play it out from the back.