0 (0%)
Jordan Hugill
0 (0%)
Robert Snodgrass
0 (0%)
Matt Phillips
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: 14 Sept 2021 Albion 0 Derby County 0  (Read 21214 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2021, 10:01:04 PM »
The main takeaways for me is that we have to be more clinical and don't play so many high balls when our forwards aren't the type of players to do anything with them.

Also, when there are only 3 subs, it does limit the options available for other positions, and the timing of when the final change can be made, when you bring on 2 forwards at half-time.

Ultimately though, it's another 2 points dropped.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2021, 10:02:26 PM »
Phillips came on off the bench

For Callum which was negligent. Replace a goal scorer with Phillips. Even more shameful that he looked completely washed up after 75 minutes.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2021, 10:02:45 PM »
Did everything but score somehow.
Diangana looking more like the player we had 2 years ago tonight and Hughil had a decent game.
That was by far the poorest Derby side I've seen for a long time and they're very very Fortuna to steal a point.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2021, 10:03:15 PM »
Did everything but score somehow.
Diangana looking more like the player we had 2 years ago tonight and Hughil had a decent game.
That was by far the poorest Derby side I've seen for a long time and they're very very Fortuna to steal a point.

Diangana did great, just needed someone like Pereira to help.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2021, 10:03:51 PM »
In isolation, that was fine: we never looked like conceding and their keeper made some good saves whilst a combination of bad luck and poor finishing meant we didn't score, it can happen. The concern of course is that it has come on the back of the last two performances where we have also struggled for goals.

For me, I would like us to refine our play a little for games like this. We look quite effective when we overload down the flank and put in a low cross or a cross to the edge of the box so would like to see that pattern of play a little more frequently.

Going forward, I'd start Hugill up top with Robinson and Diangana either side. The loss of Clarke and O'Shea seems to have slightly blunted our threat at set-plays unfortunately, the return of Clarke will be much welcomed in this regard.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2021, 10:04:09 PM »
I thought Hugill was the goal scorer we were looking for?

He doesn't look like a goal scorer to me so far.  Seems a semi-decent Championship level player who will hold the ball up well.  Too often he's stood rooted and doesn't make runs on time.  Perfect example in the second half, Livermore comes forward with the ball towards Hugill and starts to get a nose bleed - he's desperately waiting for Hugill to move or make a run or something, but nothing.  Eventually defenders get around Livermore.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2021, 10:04:55 PM »
Diangana did great, just needed someone like Pereira to help.
Will you be getting a new drum once your current one is worn out?!  ;D

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
So the first test of Ismael's managerial reign has arrived. 3 teams have now set up with a low block, an aggressive defence and stood up to the aerial game and we have come away with only the 2 goals to show. The blueprint on how to stop our aggressive press is clear for all managers in the league now. Over to Ismael to find a solution.

We should have won tonight. Despite the lack of any truly clear cut chances, Roos has had a blinder tonight. We have had 3 or 4 shots in the box second half which have either been saved or blocked by the last man and Diangana has put in atleast 2 dangerous crosses that have whistled across the face of goal where an outstretched leg would have put us 1 up. On Diangana, he has had a good second half there, but despite all his effort, I can't think of a time one of his crosses in the last few games have found an Albion player. Lots of toil, not much end product.

We lack a cutting edge. I'd love to see one of the front 3 positions to include a player who is able to create something in tight spaces. Instead we have a number of quicker, athlete type players which can be nullified by the low block.

Preston up next. I hope Ismael makes  tactical tweak but on the evidence of his subs so far I'm not convinced he will. Still top of the league, for now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:07:50 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2021, 10:05:32 PM »
Hugill is Hugill, he's not a goalscorer he's just taller than the others when we lump/cross the ball in. He's better than Zohore though so we had to sign him or play Zohore

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2021, 10:08:55 PM »
I think we need to start with Hugill and rough em up then bring on the more dynamic footballer (Robinson) when the CH's are knackered. We are going to struggle to break teams down at the Hawthorns unless we change it up a bit.

In short we are getting Pulised and havent got an answer  (yet) !!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2021, 10:09:01 PM »
Lost count of the number of crosses we put in. Not all of them great, but still nobody able to anticipate and finish them off.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »
For Callum which was negligent. Replace a goal scorer with Phillips. Even more shameful that he looked completely washed up after 75 minutes.
Thats not what you said though.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2021, 10:10:47 PM »
Should have won but not clinical enough in front of goal which is totally down to board who have failed Val with not bringing in a goal scorer. Hope Ishmael realises his mistake and keeps Grady on the left hand side where he was causing Derby all sorts of problems. Needs to find a solution to playing against teams that sit deep as Valball isn’t working and doesn’t look great.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2021, 10:14:22 PM »
Defensively I thought it was the best we’ve looked . Reach looked good in his first league start , Grady played like we know he can . CR sub surprised me ,but apart from the naughty word on target I couldn’t remember Grant doing much .On another day we would have comfortably won with the chances we had .

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2021, 10:18:08 PM »
just like to ask, how bad are Derby, stone walled relegation side for me !
Albion Family !!!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2021, 10:21:01 PM »
There must be another reason Robinson was withdrawn, has to have been under the weather or injuried, surely.

We lacked a cutting edge as has already been said. Diangana had shades of his old self in the second half though.

Hopefully Preston being at home they have to show a bit more ambition than Millwall and Derby which will hopefully play in to our hands.

The one positive is there is still not really a side who has looked like really beating us but it is two poor results at home in reality where we should have put some real daylight between us and the pack. It’s no good saying it’s fine we are top after so few games.

I’ll give it until 10 games before I really start to judge VI but there’s some reasonable concerns. I do think tonight was just one of those games though and when we do that to sides we will win more than we lose. We are capable of some decent football and we don’t need to be hoofing it as much as we do.

The press and energy can still work with the talent we have with a few tweaks and choosing when to lump it and when to play is key if VI can accept it.  In this division we should be smart enough to know when we’ve got teams playing for a draw and adjust accordingly.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2021, 10:21:35 PM »
Lost count of the number of crosses we put in. Not all of them great, but still nobody able to anticipate and finish them off.
unless we have our defenders in box it’s a waste of time putting crosses in as we have only Hugil if he’s playing who is a number 9. Grant,Grady and Robinson won’t win headers against bigger and stronger defenders.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »
Plenty of crosses but too high. We don't have Diagne up front anymore.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: September 14, 2021, 10:24:14 PM »
Hugill is Hugill, he's not a goalscorer he's just taller than the others when we lump/cross the ball in. He's better than Zohore though so we had to sign him or play Zohore

On the half way line he holds the ball up well and links up play well but throw a cross in the box and he is nowhere to be seen.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #219 on: September 14, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »
Derby packed their defence and all the shots to the Derby keeper were stoppable. We got loads of crosses in, but we didn't get players into the box to meet them or we got outnumbered.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

festerp

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #220 on: September 14, 2021, 10:26:54 PM »
You know I don't remember Pereira winning alot of headers but he could score. Messi doesn't win headers but he can score.  Why don't we keep the ball down and dribble some and beat them with quickness and skill over the lumping and jumping.
“In my mind, you gotta have three things to be a Premier League team. 1) You gotta play physical. 2) you gotta give 100 percent until the final whistle and 3) you gotta be sponsored by a Middle-Eastern airline.”

mini gaardsoe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2021, 10:27:19 PM »
Didn’t replace Matheus with anyone creative and didn’t buy a striker, absolutely criminal. Can’t see anyone hitting 10+ and that will cost us.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #222 on: September 14, 2021, 10:27:35 PM »
On the half way line he holds the ball up well and links up play well but throw a cross in the box and he is nowhere to be seen.

I know. Most of us said we needed a proper CF who suited this system but they were too tight to get Dike.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #223 on: September 14, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »
You know I don't remember Pereira winning alot of headers but he could score. Messi doesn't win headers but he can score.  Why don't we keep the ball down and dribble some and beat them with quickness and skill over the lumping and jumping.

It's beginning to look like Val only has 1 way to play sadly.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2021, 10:28:42 PM »
There are numerous posts on here from pre-match which say that if we throw the ball into the box we will be playing to their strengths, so what did we do for 60 minutes ?
Albion Family !!!