Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2021  (Read 15173 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2021
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2021, 11:41:11 PM »
AHH ok thanks for clearing that up. I was sure someone said it was 45m.

My bad.

I'm not 100% certain but think it's less than it was 2 years ago

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2021, 11:44:34 PM »
I'm surprised that we haven't used our two remaining loans but that seemed dependent on offloading Zohore and SJ to manage the wage bill.

The free agents list is a long one and there are perhaps some interesting names on there.  Andy Carroll on a pay-to-play until January?  If fit then he can cause havoc especially on the end of Furlong's throws.

How can we still be reliant on getting rid of Zohore and SJ seeing as they'd have had flex down contracts and we've also offloaded a ton of other players who would have been on significant money.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2021, 11:51:54 PM »
Livermore widely rumoured to be our top earner after the names Gibbs Austin etc had gone. He was on 40k PW in the PL so guess on 20k per week in the EFL.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2021, 12:13:42 AM »
How can we still be reliant on getting rid of Zohore and SJ seeing as they'd have had flex down contracts and we've also offloaded a ton of other players who would have been on significant money.

Because our income has dropped by £75m to £80m even with the parachute payments

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2021, 12:18:56 AM »
Not impressed with window if I’m honest feel like many that we are a bit light in right full back position, central midfield and striker. No show owner has truly kept the purse strings pulled tight and if  team has a dip in form and it looks like we won’t make play offs all those who are happy with window will you be happy if Val gets the chopp?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2021, 01:22:12 AM »
We've brought in 6 players and for what we paid for them, you'd have to say they are value for money. The question is will that be good enough to make the difference needed to get us promoted.
For whatever reason money is tight at the club. Aside from Fulham though, money is tight everywhere around the division. Covid has probably cut deep into the finances of all clubs. 

However, what doesn't add up to me is how we could sell our main player asset for so much under his true value. I struggle to think of other clubs or chairmen who would allow their main assets to be sold on the cheap. Not just the Daniel Levys or the Villa board. If you look at the fees Sheff Utd got for Ramsdale or what Brighton asked for Ben White.  Huddersfield made sure they got top whack for Karlan Grant.
I'm sure a deal could have been reached with West Ham, when you look at what they've now paid for Vasliv. 

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2021, 04:17:49 AM »
We've brought in 6 players and for what we paid for them, you'd have to say they are value for money. The question is will that be good enough to make the difference needed to get us promoted.
For whatever reason money is tight at the club. Aside from Fulham though, money is tight everywhere around the division. Covid has probably cut deep into the finances of all clubs. 

However, what doesn't add up to me is how we could sell our main player asset for so much under his true value. I struggle to think of other clubs or chairmen who would allow their main assets to be sold on the cheap. Not just the Daniel Levys or the Villa board. If you look at the fees Sheff Utd got for Ramsdale or what Brighton asked for Ben White.  Huddersfield made sure they got top whack for Karlan Grant.
I'm sure a deal could have been reached with West Ham, when you look at what they've now paid for Vasliv. 

That would have depended on two factors Alex;

1. WHU were prepared to offer £25m for a player that did not seem to be in that much demand, and;
2. MP wanted to play for them

It is now fairly obvious that MP had decided he was only going to play for Al Hilal for financial reasons, and I suspect that WHU or any other club could have paid him handsomely but it would have been nowhere near the bunce he was promised from Al Hilal. We could not make MP play for WHU

In reality we don't know the finer detail of the deal, but it is reported to be circa £17m [actually recorded as £16.2m on TransferMarkt] and we know that in this current transfer window we have not seen a single penny of it. Had we got £25m for  him from another club we would not have seen that either I suspect.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:28:23 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2021, 04:40:30 AM »
I don't think that we have done enough to secure promotion. Reach and Hugill not very good signings. Reach in particular not suited for this particular style of play in my opinion.
I like Clarke very much but think he may be injury prone. I cannot understand why Brighton keep sending him out on loan, particularly now that they have reverted to having Shane Duffy in their team.
Not sure about Molumby but I am told he played for Milwall when we won 2-0 there .
I went to that match where we basically outplayed them and not to make judgement on one game i must say I did not see anyone on their team capable of dislodging Livermore from our team.
Mowatt, excellent signing.
I am still hopeful that we can do it but though we can put out eleven players to match anyone in this league, injuries, absences of any of our first eleven will greatly affect us.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2021, 04:45:54 AM »
Livermore widely rumoured to be our top earner after the names Gibbs Austin etc had gone. He was on 40k PW in the PL so guess on 20k per week in the EFL.
Widely rumoured ? Snodgrass will be on more than £20K.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »
Positive for me is SJ is still here - let's hope he signs a contract...

Also pleased Ajayi is here after the baggie79 rumours. He suits our system best out all of our defenders.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2021, 07:34:15 AM »

Even a measly flex down 20k a week is upwards of £1 million a year......

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2021, 08:30:48 AM »
I’m happy with the team and happy with probably the first 16, it then thins out a little BUT if the likes of Ingram, Gardner-Hickman, Tillich and Fellows can step up then I’ll be happier. I knew once Molumby was in that’d be it with Snodgrass and Castro also back up.

Like everyone else I think we needed a player like Dike/Maja but we’ve ended up with Hugill who may be able to do a job.

5 CBS plus a youngster to cover 3 positions is about as much as we can hope for.

The loan window in the EFL still being open means business could still happen but I’d say more likely outgoings and there are still a few free agents that can do a job so I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see us dip into that market.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2021, 08:33:46 AM »
l those who are happy with window will you be happy if Val gets the chopp?

I really do not see the correlation between the two..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
Im labouring under the impression we might actually do some buisness in january for once and reading between the lines of what vals said, hes labouring under the same impression.

blindreferee

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2021, 08:52:24 AM »
Struggling to understand how anyone can think this has been a good window or be satisfied with  the deals done ?

Have we learnt nothing from the last 5 years ? Mowatt looks a decent signing (but more than likely came due to his relationship with VAL) - Reach and Hugill are short term stop gaps - Clarke may or may not be a success but is still only a loan

Should the unthinkable happen and we actually get promoted we have Johnstone, Furlong, possibly Bartley, Mowatt and at a push Robinson who are actually competent in the Prem - 5 players !

We would need to sign at a very minimum 10 Prem quality players - conservative value of £10m each equates to £100m - we have never, and never will spend that sort of money

Until we improve our scouting network, invest in younger players we will always be stuck in this cycle - loans and stop gaps do nothing for our long term future

Really poor window again

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2021, 08:59:17 AM »
Everybody seems to be under the impression that the club is aiming to get straight back to the EPL in a single season.  Ken's note said that the club aims to be successful in the Championship - success this season could be the play-offs.  The aim might be to build up a squad over two or three years. We have a new management team with different ideas about how to turn the ship around compared with the recent quick fixes of acquiring ageing players on such generous terms that we can't get rid of them

On the matter of Zohore, if VI banishes him out of the squad, his agent will try and move him out as he is dealing with a fast depreciating asset.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »
Everybody seems to be under the impression that the club is aiming to get straight back to the EPL in a single season.  Ken's note said that the club aims to be successful in the Championship - success this season could be the play-offs.  The aim might be to build up a squad over two or three years. We have a new management team with different ideas about how to turn the ship around compared with the recent quick fixes of acquiring ageing players on such generous terms that we can't get rid of them

On the matter of Zohore, if VI banishes him out of the squad, his agent will try and move him out as he is dealing with a fast depreciating asset.

I do not for one second believe that the board and the manager have hatched a cunning plan to finish between 3rd and 6th this year, with the lottery of the playoffs to look forward to. I can understand where you are coming from with the plan if we did not have our current owner. He basically wants his money back so needs us in the greed league ASAP

By the way, you cannot use the word 'Zohore' and 'asset' in the same sentence..... ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:06:03 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »
Struggling to understand how anyone can think this has been a good window or be satisfied with  the deals done ?

Have we learnt nothing from the last 5 years ? Mowatt looks a decent signing (but more than likely came due to his relationship with VAL) - Reach and Hugill are short term stop gaps - Clarke may or may not be a success but is still only a loan

Should the unthinkable happen and we actually get promoted we have Johnstone, Furlong, possibly Bartley, Mowatt and at a push Robinson who are actually competent in the Prem - 5 players !

We would need to sign at a very minimum 10 Prem quality players - conservative value of £10m each equates to £100m - we have never, and never will spend that sort of money

Until we improve our scouting network, invest in younger players we will always be stuck in this cycle - loans and stop gaps do nothing for our long term future

Really poor window again
Molumby is the type of player you are referring to and our manager is putting his trust in some of our younger players, if you looking for an instant fix there isn't one.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2021, 09:27:51 AM »
I’m happy with the team and happy with probably the first 16, it then thins out a little BUT if the likes of Ingram, Gardner-Hickman, Tillich and Fellows can step up then I’ll be happier. I knew once Molumby was in that’d be it with Snodgrass and Castro also back up.

Like everyone else I think we needed a player like Dike/Maja but we’ve ended up with Hugill who may be able to do a job.

5 CBS plus a youngster to cover 3 positions is about as much as we can hope for.

The loan window in the EFL still being open means business could still happen but I’d say more likely outgoings and there are still a few free agents that can do a job so I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see us dip into that market.

I think the loan window is also shut until January.

blindreferee

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2021, 09:47:17 AM »
Molumby is the type of player you are referring to and our manager is putting his trust in some of our younger players, if you looking for an instant fix there isn't one.

Quick fix ? Where have I said that ?

Looking for a long term plan / structure / build - not short term loans and stop gap signings like Hugill and Reach

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2021, 09:59:04 AM »
Widely rumoured ? Snodgrass will be on more than £20K.

In the PL definitely. In the EFL i doubt it mate

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2021, 10:01:02 AM »

Really poor window again

I happen to agree with you on this. I would love to be proven wrong but I don't see VI in the long term plan. His style of football is unique and for it to transpose to the EPL he will need a lot more quality players, and that relates to a massive investment this time next year. Unless there is a change of ownership that will never happen.

I am already wondering about the shelf life of our style of football. As many of you have already alluded to, at times it is not pretty to watch, but whilst we are winning everything is rosy in the garden. It will be interesting to see what we think when we have been beaten a few times, or we are in the mediocre play off positions. I applaud the board for this appointment which was brave, but it needs to be backed up with investment, and as this window has shown we are once again being unbelievably frugal.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 10:08:02 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2021, 10:06:34 AM »
I think the loan window is also shut until January.
Yes, I can't find anything to suggest that we're able to bring anyone in other than free agents until January.

I believe it's the case that if there's a foreign transfer window that's still open (or reopens before January), players can leave Albion via that route.

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »
I do think we are couple short if we get a few injuries but one thing i will say is i trust this manager more than the previous so if he thinks that the players from the academy can cover the positions where we will be short then so be it.
Smethwick..

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2021, 10:16:25 AM »
My biggest concern is if VI truly believes the academy/U23 players ARE good enough or is having to spin our lack of activity into bigging them up in the event they will be called upon to do a job.
He can't really expect them to be 'up for the challenge' if/when the chance comes if he's said "we'd have liked to bring in x/y/z player but we couldn't so we'll have to make do with the kids"