Author Topic: EURO 2020  (Read 3670 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: EURO 2020
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »
Not long now - so excited!!  :D
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 07:53:22 AM »
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/09/attacking-rarely-wins-international-prizes-now-so-what-will-southgate-do?__twitter_impression=true

Jonathan Wilson arguing England should stick with being quite conservative. Good article from one of the best football minds in journalism.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:17:40 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 02:57:02 PM »
BBC have announced some ex players who are joining their team for the Euros:

Frank Lampard  - part of the golden generation for English football, as well as being a Premier League winner and captain for Chelsea.

Darren Fletcher - captain of Manchester United, Premier League winner, and captain of Scotland in 80 caps.

Hal Robson-Kanu - he did a Cruyff turn once.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 06:49:39 PM »
Do we have a song for these Euros what would be an apt song for our three lion warriors ( joking)?
 Bob Marley jumps out at me but I'll settle for Livin on a Prayer Bon Jovi.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 06:50:21 PM »
"Help"

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 07:35:27 PM »
And I'll raise you
Hello Goodbye

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 08:48:33 PM »
One more wake up.

Italy v Turkey is a cracker to open the tournament. I may have to adopt Italy as my 2nd team as i'm getting less and less confident of us doing anything this year.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 09:34:45 PM »
England are still faffing about with formations in training.  I find that unbelievable.

I wonder if any team has ever moved between systems during a major tournament and been successful. It seems almost guaranteed we plan to do it.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 10:54:03 PM »
Who had “prior to the tournament” in the “When will the French fall out” sweepstake?

Mbappe and Giroud now.
Boing Boing

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 11:02:21 PM »
I can't be bothered.
Too much over the top by BBC etc.
Give me ground root's football.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2021, 10:28:17 AM »
Looking forward to tonight's game might give us a few early indications as to how this is going to play out. In this instance are Turkey the genuine dark horses in this tournament? And much more importantly how are Italy going to cope with added pressure of my money riding on them?

There is also a bit of Baggies related interest in Okay likely to be playing for Turkey.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
Portugal look value for money to me !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
Jose Mourinho on talksport today picked his England side for the Croatia game. It was interesting to hear his rationale from a top managers point of view.

Henderson

Walker
Stones
Mings
Chilwell

Rice
Phillips
Mount

Grealish
Foden
Kane

He called Kane undroppable (Not a surprise given their love for each other at Spurs) and also Grealish.

Seems Walker or James is much of a muchness in his mind but no surprise he picked Chilwell over Shaw given their history.

He was glowing about Bellingham - sees him taking the centre mid spot from Phillips by the time we (theoretically) reach the knockout stages, but typically conservative he didn't want to throw him in vs Croatia. He did however say he wouldn't pick Mount there - seems he agrees with Southgate that it has to be Rice and one of Phillips or Bellingham.

Not sure i'd fully agree with his team - I think we need a Sancho or Sterling alongside Kane else it's one paced.

Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »
My 11 would be:

Henderson

Trippier
Stones
Coady
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham

Grealish
Foden
Sancho

Kane

With subs we could then rest and rotate when jobs are done.

However I don’t see Rashford, Mount or Sterling missing out and I don’t think Coady will play. Ive gone for Coady personally because although limited I think he knows what he is and wouldn’t let himself down. I like his character.

There is Talk of playing the 3 at the back and wing backs, with the 5 made up of  4 full backs which I just find odd.

My prediction is we win the group unconvincingly then go out to Portugal, France or Germany in the next round. 

We could win the group well and still have that happen but I don’t like how we seem to be preparing and I think talk of semis is extremely optimistic given our likely route. Some group winners will get a side who finish a group in third which seems a big advantage. Strangely finishing third for us would probably give the preferable route but we are already fallling apart if that happens.

I think the squad is capable which is the frustrating part.

Southgates England managerial career could be a tale of two draws. A favourable draw saw us go well in the WC, and poor draw sees us underwhelm at the Euros.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 03:13:10 PM by johnny Cash »

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »
I'm slightly less pessimistic about our chances in this tournament than the last couple. We have some great midfield and attacking options. I think our defensive area could be a bit suspect however which could be our main problem.

I think anything less than quarter-finals is a failure with the talent we have (unless we land Spain or someone better in the round of 16 and lose marginally).

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2021, 04:03:34 PM »

I think anything less than quarter-finals is a failure with the talent we have (unless we land Spain or someone better in the round of 16 and lose marginally).

If ye win the group ye are due to face the runner up in the France/Germany/Portugal group in the Second Round.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »
If ye win the group ye are due to face the runner up in the France/Germany/Portugal group in the Second Round.

Who says we're going to win the group though? It's entirely possible that we could finish second or third in the group and that so called 'lesser' teams in groups E or F overperform and we end up playing one of those. There are so many possibilities that there's little point in guessing who we would be playing in the round of 16 if we make it out of the group at this point.

We could probably do with finishing 2nd and then hopefully end up playing a 2nd place Group E Poland or Sweden or something. Like I say though, too many variables.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »
Just spent a happy couple of hours watching Euro 96 etc on youtube brought back some great memories and made it all the sadder that as things stand I can't get behind the current team and that's how a lot of fans seem to be feeling  :(

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 05:07:57 PM »
Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire/White
Chilwell

Rice
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

I can’t see Southgate picking a team that doesn’t include at least Rashford or Sterling in it.
We have to find a way of having Grealish and Foden on the pitch together, they are our biggest threats. I think Mount has to start too, his pressing and ability goes unnoticed at times and offers us something going forward.

I think with Maguire being injured, he will go to a back 3/5. James, Walker, Stones, Coady/Mings and Shaw/Chilwell.

If we start Mings in this tournament, he will 100% make an error.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2021, 05:12:22 PM »
Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire/White
Chilwell

Rice
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

I can’t see Southgate picking a team that doesn’t include at least Rashford or Sterling in it.
We have to find a way of having Grealish and Foden on the pitch together, they are our biggest threats. I think Mount has to start too, his pressing and ability goes unnoticed at times and offers us something going forward.

I think with Maguire being injured, he will go to a back 3/5. James, Walker, Stones, Coady/Mings and Shaw/Chilwell.

If we start Mings in this tournament, he will 100% make an error.

I'd definitely look to go in with 11 men though mate...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2021, 05:17:17 PM »
I'd definitely look to go in with 11 men though mate...

;D ;D

Add Bellingham in there.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2021, 05:21:47 PM »
Who says we're going to win the group though? It's entirely possible that we could finish second or third in the group and that so called 'lesser' teams in groups E or F overperform and we end up playing one of those. There are so many possibilities that there's little point in guessing who we would be playing in the round of 16 if we make it out of the group at this point.

We could probably do with finishing 2nd and then hopefully end up playing a 2nd place Group E Poland or Sweden or something. Like I say though, too many variables.

If we finish third in the group we might as well give up. Finishing third and stumbling to the quarters with a favorable draw will not be a success.

Besides, I dont think expecting us to win the group and get the tough second round draw is a stretch. It seems the most likely scenario.   Winning the group also see's us stay in London rather than going to Denmark which
I think Southgate will be keen on. 

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2021, 05:25:01 PM »

If we finish third in the group we might as well give up. Finishing third and stumbling to the quarters with a favorable draw will not be a success.

Besides, I dont think expecting us to win the group and get the tough second round draw is a stretch. It seems the most likely scenario.   Winning the group also see's us stay in London rather than going to Denmark which
I think Southgate will be keen on.

Portugal 2016 disagree 😁

Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »
Portugal 2016 disagree 😁

:D :D Although my comment was in context of going out in the quarters, not going on to win it!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »
I’m really torn how I would line up now. I look at our second tier defence and our weakness at the base of our midfield and I am getting less and less optimistic that we can go toe to toe with the best. People who watch more football than I do keep saying it will be defensive sides who win this tournament because of the nature of international football and international tournaments.

I feel like Grealish is our most creative player and the sort of player we could do with to break down a defensive international team. Then again, how do we fit him into the balance of the side? If we play Rice and Phillips, I have doubts over Mount making up for the lack of world class creativity and so I’d probably opt for Grealish, but if Bellingham is in the middle, there is maybe more of a case to play Mount as we will be aiming to break quickly. The one negative of Grealish is that he does possibly slow the game down, where as Mount can play the ball quickly.

I don’t really know if we should go with a 4 or 5 man defence - whoever we pick without Maguire or Gomez will not be quite up to the world class defence level.

It feels like a really unfortunate timing this year. Had we a fit Gomez, Maguire and TAA, we might have been able to make up for the lack of a proven defensive midfielder. Could also have done with a few of the youngsters (Foden, Sako, Mount, Bellingham) being a year or two older.

Providing we beat a few decent sides this year (Croatia, Portugal and at a push one more like Spain) then it will feel like a successful tournament for me.
Boing Boing