1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446622 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2650 on: June 11, 2021, 10:04:06 AM »
If as seems possible it comes down to a choice between two old boys in Appleton or McInnes who would you prefer( neither is not an option ) ?

If these two are the genuine front runners then this club is even worse than I already thought. Neither of them should be even on a list of 20 names for this job, and if they hadn’t played for us they wouldn’t be mentioned.

Our board have no clue when it comes to managers and actually looking outside the box, same rubbish every year. There’s a reason we find ourselves looking for a new boss every 12 months. Have they not learnt from Big Dave, just get the best man for the job, not someone who’s played for us 15 years ago.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2651 on: June 11, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »
People working in the game understand it's a results driven business and managers get fired when results don't go well. However there is a limit and we are close to that limit. The Moore and Bilic firings were harsh when viewed from the outside. A board has to give their man money or time you can't give them either then really there isn't a lot to be said for signing up because you are just the fall guy.

In the Championship we have money but we don't in the Premier League (in relative terms) so at some point we have give a coach a chance to take us back up following relegation. The irony of course we seemed to be prepared to offer Allardyce that chance when he didn't want it at least initially.

If you consider the two teams that were relegated Fulham have not sacked Parker and Sheffield United wanted to retain Wilder and their seasons were every bit as bad as ours was and you could argue considerably worse considering the money the other two spent.

What you going to do? Time or money ideally both but at some point that is the choice.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2652 on: June 11, 2021, 10:17:09 AM »
Is that the same Sir Alex that told us that Ronnie Wallwork was the best Bosman signing of the summer in 2002?
I know who's opinion i would rather listen too.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2653 on: June 11, 2021, 10:29:10 AM »
Derek Adams got Morecombe promoted and was immediately poached by Bradford City.
Why can't we take the initiative like that and say go for Ryan Lowe who got Bury and Plymouth promoted subject to due diligence of course?and if he isn't the answer someone like him.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2654 on: June 11, 2021, 10:32:53 AM »
Derek Adams got Morecombe promoted and was immediately poached by Bradford City.
Why can't we take the initiative like that and say go for Ryan Lowe who got Bury and Plymouth promoted subject to due diligence of course?and if he isn't the answer someone like him.

Because we limit ourselves to swimming in a small pool of the same old names. Been linked with Neil for the last 3 appointments, same with Wagner. We are so predictable.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2655 on: June 11, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »
Comes down to this for me, Wilder is the stand out candidate by miles, if the rumour of him getting vetoed is true then something is seriously wrong at Albion. You can't have a club run off its own means and then step in when you don't like something. If you don't like it Lai out up the money for someone better than Wilder or shut up and sell for the loss you truly deserve, You will not get your money back, not even half.

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2656 on: June 11, 2021, 10:40:26 AM »
 if the criteria is a manager who is currently unemployed,has experience of promotion and keeping the side up after and has no record of upsetting the owners,then the list is very short

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2657 on: June 11, 2021, 10:42:14 AM »
Because we limit ourselves to swimming in a small pool of the same old names. Been linked with Neil for the last 3 appointments, same with Wagner. We are so predictable.

No one actually knows what is going on at the Albion apart from a few on the board. The press are the one's who are predictable stating the same names every time we search for a new manager.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2658 on: June 11, 2021, 11:05:47 AM »
No one actually knows what is going on at the Albion apart from a few on the board. The press are the one's who are predictable stating the same names every time we search for a new manager.

We have been interested in Neil and Wagner for years, this was the 3rd time we interviewed Wagner and he’s said no twice before and used us this time round to
Negotiate a better deal with his new team. Neil also used us last time round to get a better contract at Preston.

We go for the same pool of managers all the time. We only need Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce to complete the list of merry go round managers.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2659 on: June 11, 2021, 11:28:22 AM »
We have been interested in Neil and Wagner for years, this was the 3rd time we interviewed Wagner and he’s said no twice before and used us this time round to
Negotiate a better deal with his new team. Neil also used us last time round to get a better contract at Preston.

We go for the same pool of managers all the time. We only need Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce to complete the list of merry go round managers.
Add Neil Warnock to that list and I think we've had the lot!

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2660 on: June 11, 2021, 11:31:00 AM »
I think the problem is that no one on the board actually knows what is going on - you would think having had since January to sort this it doesn't look good!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2661 on: June 11, 2021, 11:33:40 AM »
Add Neil Warnock to that list and I think we've had the lot!
Also Steve Coppell as I mentioned yesterday!

I'm finding it hard not to conclude that, of the managers remaining who would seem to be available to us, we might as well go back to Mogga. I would imagine any compensation for him would be less that we'll have to pay for Appleton and at least we know that the style of football under Mogga would be a massive upgrade on many of the managers we're now being linked with. People regard the relegation season of 2008-9 as an abject failure and yet we got 6 more points than we did last season, conceded fewer goals and were only 4 points from safety.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:48:41 AM by WorcsWBA »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2662 on: June 11, 2021, 11:39:33 AM »
Looks like it isn't who we want as manager, more a case of who want's to manage us?
Sad state of affairs indeed.
The board should be sacked to a man.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2663 on: June 11, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »
From the outside it doesnt look great but i try not to put all focus on what the media say because we have known for years, Albion tend to keep things quiet which leads to a lot of second guessing from media, fans, etc.

It seems suspicious Wagner is supposedly certain for the job and 12 hours later is appointed manager in a different country, if i was being cynical i may suggest that his people leaked it to the media rather than Albion to give the club in switzerland a kick up the backside to get the deal done.

We are a bit of a basket case in terms of what we are going for, we seem to be trying to go for the Ashworth approach of a director of football and a head coach but then appointing Bilic and Allardyce, both strong characters who are known for their management rather than their coaching, it makes no sense.

A director of football is central to everything, whoever comes in has to be able to work him, understand that the club signs players with the manager having a say so rather than the other way round, At the moment Dowling seems to be there for the sake of having a DOF rather than actually serving a purpose.

For it to work you have to give them the responsibility, let potential coaches know than both parties whats what otherwise you end up with half a squad that the manager wants and half he doesnt and a breakdown in relations.

From the names linked most are used to being the manager and running everything, if thats the case then get rid of Dowling, give one of these managers the job, let them get on with it, there isnt much long term thinking at Albion, Lai just wants us in the premier league so he can sell, if say Wilder is the best option then do it but let him do it his way.

Giving Wilder as an example, he will probably look at our squad, its competitive at championship level, there are potentially a couple of players who could stand out at championship level (Grant, Diangana) and he will have a few quid to add players and probably would fancy his chances of getting us up, even with a DOF he will probably think the job is worth it because there are a lot of things in our favour at championship level.

Should we do that, we will then be in the same position as the end of the last promotion season, we wont spend loads, we will be one of the favorites for relegation, should we struggle, we sack the manager, he has a promotion on his CV and a nice pay off and we are looking for a fire fighter again.

However if we are going to go for the DOF / head coach instead of manager then we have to stick to it and that will rule out a number of people for it to work because they are used to being managers, Britain still doesnt have that many, most clubs the manager tends to have the say so.

The right person can probably get on board but that is likely to be a young hungry manager who is trying to prove themselves, i think as we saw with Pulis, trying to pair a DOF with an experienced manager who has got used to doing things their way doesnt work.

For our present situation, i think Appleton fits the bill, he is a known good coach, he is ambitious, he is hungry (probably more than most due to his playing career ending so soon) and although its held against him by some for being Ex Albion, in this case it may actually work in his / our favour.

Appleton knows how the club works, who does what so would be coming in fully prepped for whats ahead, i think it was well known with Bilic it was an eye opener how we do things, Appleton knows. He can also develop players with his coaching and if we did go up, come down, he will learn and develop too, ready for another go, keep building a style and identity rather than going direct (Pulis, Allardyce) to possession (Moore) to Counter attack (Bilic).

Its not like he has been plucked form nowhere, he has earnt his stripes, he has done a good job at his last couple of clubs and if he is ever going to get the chance at Albion, this should be it. Mowbray had only managed in Scotland, Di Matteo got MK Dons to the play offs (same as Appleton) and both did good jobs at Albion.

Appleton isnt massively exciting or a name but in our present situation, i think he is the sensible option, we can worry about other stuff when we have an owner who wants to be at the club.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:48:28 AM by Albion79 »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2664 on: June 11, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »
Keith Downing would be a better choice than what's being mentioned
I can get over the wolves connection if he had Paul Cooke has his assistant.
If Lampard is allegedly holding out for a PL job, we could do a lot worse than Keith Downing of the British based managers. He's managed us before and did a good job as I recall. If we weren't bothered about Allardyce's Wolves sympathies, why should it be a problem with Downing?  Possibly a Downing Dowling team, though 'dream team' would be pushing it a bit?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2665 on: June 11, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
He's managed us before and did a good job as I recall.
Well it was a good job if you regard winning 1 game out of 6 (16.7% win percentage) as being good!

One thing I just saw that I never realised is that Keith is the cousin of former Judas Priest guitarist KK Downing!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:53:54 AM by WorcsWBA »

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2666 on: June 11, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
I can’t believe we’re sat here nearly the middle of June without a head coach.

The more this goes on the more I feel it’s going to be like the Irvine appointment just before the England game this weekend.

Really starting to worry me now

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2667 on: June 11, 2021, 12:03:56 PM »

The more this goes on the more I feel it’s going to be like the Irvine appointment just before the England game this weekend.

Based on how long it's taken us in the past, I entirely expected it.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2668 on: June 11, 2021, 12:04:44 PM »
Well it was a good job if you regard winning 1 game out of 6 (16.7% win percentage) as being good!

which was better than what we achieved last season 5 out of 38 (13.2%).
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2669 on: June 11, 2021, 12:11:29 PM »
Based on how long it's taken us in the past, I entirely expected it.

I suppose it’s like when the other half cooks, you know it’ll be bad but you keep eating it because statistically she’ll get it spot on at some point  ;D

Was just hoping this time was it!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2670 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:00 PM »
If Lampard is allegedly holding out for a PL job......

Wouldn't surprise me if he's holding out for the England job.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2671 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:14 PM »
I've thought about it and I think I'm leaning towards McInnes now.

I know he wouldn't get mentioned had he not played for us and I admit I am looking at this through rose tinted specs.

Darren Moore was in no shape 'qualified' to take on a Premier League job but got the gig ONLY because of his club connections but ultimately it didn't work out due to various reasons. I feel McInnes has earnt his stripes (pardon the pun) to see what he can do with a set up like ours and let's be honest any half decent manager should get us in the top 6.

It would be a romantic appointment, he would bleed blue and white and he would be immensely proud to lead our club, he also wouldn't care about being 4th choice or whatever it is as he would walk on hot coals to get here - isn't that what we want? He would ask for nothing less that 110% from the players and he would bring us together.

Gamble it is and if it doesn't appear to be working we'll just have to pull the trigger before it is too late.

**BB74 NOW RUNS AND HIDES AWAITING KEYBOARD GRENADES TO COME HIS WAY**
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:36:57 PM by BB74 »

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2672 on: June 11, 2021, 12:20:41 PM »

The only thing that gives me comfort is that Palace, Spurs Bournemouth and Everton are all in the same boat and none of them have appointed anyone either. If those clubs had sorted their appointments out long ago, I'd be much more worried
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2673 on: June 11, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »
From the outside it doesnt look great but i try not to put all focus on what the media say because we have known for years, Albion tend to keep things quiet which leads to a lot of second guessing from media, fans, etc.

It seems suspicious Wagner is supposedly certain for the job and 12 hours later is appointed manager in a different country, if i was being cynical i may suggest that his people leaked it to the media rather than Albion to give the club in switzerland a kick up the backside to get the deal done.

We are a bit of a basket case in terms of what we are going for, we seem to be trying to go for the Ashworth approach of a director of football and a head coach but then appointing Bilic and Allardyce, both strong characters who are known for their management rather than their coaching, it makes no sense.

A director of football is central to everything, whoever comes in has to be able to work him, understand that the club signs players with the manager having a say so rather than the other way round, At the moment Dowling seems to be there for the sake of having a DOF rather than actually serving a purpose.

For it to work you have to give them the responsibility, let potential coaches know than both parties whats what otherwise you end up with half a squad that the manager wants and half he doesnt and a breakdown in relations.

From the names linked most are used to being the manager and running everything, if thats the case then get rid of Dowling, give one of these managers the job, let them get on with it, there isnt much long term thinking at Albion, Lai just wants us in the premier league so he can sell, if say Wilder is the best option then do it but let him do it his way.

Giving Wilder as an example, he will probably look at our squad, its competitive at championship level, there are potentially a couple of players who could stand out at championship level (Grant, Diangana) and he will have a few quid to add players and probably would fancy his chances of getting us up, even with a DOF he will probably think the job is worth it because there are a lot of things in our favour at championship level.

Should we do that, we will then be in the same position as the end of the last promotion season, we wont spend loads, we will be one of the favorites for relegation, should we struggle, we sack the manager, he has a promotion on his CV and a nice pay off and we are looking for a fire fighter again.

However if we are going to go for the DOF / head coach instead of manager then we have to stick to it and that will rule out a number of people for it to work because they are used to being managers, Britain still doesnt have that many, most clubs the manager tends to have the say so.

The right person can probably get on board but that is likely to be a young hungry manager who is trying to prove themselves, i think as we saw with Pulis, trying to pair a DOF with an experienced manager who has got used to doing things their way doesnt work.

For our present situation, i think Appleton fits the bill, he is a known good coach, he is ambitious, he is hungry (probably more than most due to his playing career ending so soon) and although its held against him by some for being Ex Albion, in this case it may actually work in his / our favour.

Appleton knows how the club works, who does what so would be coming in fully prepped for whats ahead, i think it was well known with Bilic it was an eye opener how we do things, Appleton knows. He can also develop players with his coaching and if we did go up, come down, he will learn and develop too, ready for another go, keep building a style and identity rather than going direct (Pulis, Allardyce) to possession (Moore) to Counter attack (Bilic).

Its not like he has been plucked form nowhere, he has earnt his stripes, he has done a good job at his last couple of clubs and if he is ever going to get the chance at Albion, this should be it. Mowbray had only managed in Scotland, Di Matteo got MK Dons to the play offs (same as Appleton) and both did good jobs at Albion.

Appleton isnt massively exciting or a name but in our present situation, i think he is the sensible option, we can worry about other stuff when we have an owner who wants to be at the club.

A good, realistic and sensible post and one I agree with, given our current plight
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:28:47 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2674 on: June 11, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
I've thought about it and I think I'm leaning towards McInnes now.

I know he wouldn't get mentioned had he not played for us and I admit I am looking at this through rose tinted specs.

Darren Moore was in no shape 'qualified' to take on a Premier League job but got the gig because of his club connections but ultimately it didn't work out due to various reasons. I feel McInnes has earnt his stripes (pardon the pun) to see what he can do with a set up like ours and let's be honest any half decent manager should get us in the top 6.

It would be a romantic appointment, he would bleed blue and white and he would be immensely proud to lead our club, he also wouldn't care about being 4th choice or whatever it is as he would walk on hot coals to get here - isn't that what we want? He would ask for nothing less that 110% from the players and he would bring us together.

Gamble it is and if it doesn't appear to be working we'll just have to pull the trigger before it is too late.

**BB74 NOW RUNS AND HIDES AWAITING KEYBOARD GRENADES TO COME HIS WAY**

I may be wrong but wasn’t McInnes quoted some time ago saying his time was difficult at Bristol partly because his wife hated living in England?